Fox Movie DVD Import Confirmed (Kinda)

Numberzz

22 posts in this topic

Armed with a Family Guy DVD scheduled for release on January 15th, a man on the MacRumors forum proved that Fox has indeed included a movie file that could be imported into iTunes. The man has DVD Player open and on it, it says "Double click to transfer this movie to iTunes." After clicking on that, a popup showed up that said "This Fox Digital Movie transfer required iTunes 7.6 or newer. Your current version of iTunes is 7.5." We are also uncertain of whether the files themselves have DRM management, but it is probably do. The iTunes update to 7.6 is supposed to arrive at Macworld.

FamilyGuy76.jpg

Full Story

Movie importing would be a pretty amazing new feature, if that's what this is.

I can't tell if this will be among the top things demonstrated at MW, or if it's in the "one more thing" category. Would this be considered legal? I know Handbrake does it and hasn't been shut down, but Apple/iTunes? If all DVDs can be imported, I see AppleTV becoming WAY more popular.

For real, for example, why is it illegal for me to rip Pan's Labyrinth, which I have purchased legally, and rip it onto my iPod Touch without having to buy it again off iTunes?

I forgot, what did they change in like 7.5 or whatever?

No idea, haven't upgraded. I'm sticking with 7.2 which has the 123-ABC order. I'm very specific about my music library. It's gotta be one way and no other. That and well, 7.2 works perfectly fine for me, so I really don't need to upgrade. I don't have a new iPod or an iPhone, don't want a new iPod game, or buy anything from the iTunes Store, so I'm fine.

Not only that, but they made "A" bands follow the next word in the sort. So now my A Perfect Circle is down in the P's instead of at the top where it belongs.

I'll stick to ripping ISOs of DVDs with Windows for now.

No idea, haven't upgraded. I'm sticking with 7.2 which has the 123-ABC order. I'm very specific about my music library. It's gotta be one way and no other. That and well, 7.2 works perfectly fine for me, so I really don't need to upgrade. I don't have a new iPod or an iPhone, don't want a new iPod game, or buy anything from the iTunes Store, so I'm fine.
Do you know about iTunes' sorting options? All songs in version 7.5 have a Sorting tab, which allows you to keep the song/artist/albums name the same, but have it appear where you want it based on its Sort Name/Artist/Album.

I have artists with number names, like 2Pac for example, but I've made his Sort Name Tupac, so it appears in the Ts.

Not only that, but they made "A" bands follow the next word in the sort. So now my A Perfect Circle is down in the P's instead of at the top where it belongs.
Hmm, I swear that's been the way iTunes always sorted songs/artists/albums beginning with the letter "a."

However, that can be fixed with the Sorting tab, too. Just change A Perfect Circle's Sort Name to APerfect Circle. By not placing a space between a and perfect, it will be listed in the "A" section. As long as you keep their actual name in the actual Name space, you won't see the different spelling. Hope that made sense.

I'll stick to ripping ISOs of DVDs with Windows for now.
Not sure why a number of people assume iTunes DVD ripping (if this rumor turns out to be true) will place DRM on the imported movie. They don't do this with CDs. They're eliminating DRM in most of their music, and there are already some DRM-free music videos. I do question the legality of iTunes doing it compared to Handbrake; if Handbrake can, why not iTunes? They could even use Handbrake's source, right?

*EDIT* Apparently, iTunes doing what Handbrake does would violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. However, I think it still could be up to the film studio rather than Apple.

Bah, gotta love the DRM scheme. I'll stick to Handbrake ripping - it takes 15 minutes and is DRM-free.

15 minutes? I have a superdrive on my iMac C2D, and it takes at least 30.

And please don't give me that whole "That's why you should build a hackintosh!" garbage, please.

Hi Numberzz:

At least this version supports iTunes which in turn will support both Mac's and PC's.

Harry Potter's version of Digital Copy only supports PC's (either PlaysForSure or PC Platform) and not Macintosh.

http://www.jakeludington.com/digital_media...potter_dvd.html

--danyel :)

You bring up a good point. While DRM isn't a good thing, at least iTune's FairPlay DRM is humane and it doesn't try to tie you to Mac OS X as WMV and PlaysForSure tie you to Windows. I think a lot of people forget that you can strip that DRM from music bought from the iTunes Store by simply burning a CD of the music (use the "Include CD Text" option under Advanced>Burning for best results) and re-importing the songs; I don't believe this works with a Data Disc or DVD as you're just copying the songs over as they are, but perhaps the mp3 CD option could work. I wonder if this works with videos, too?

Apple wouldn't be using DRM if the big labels didn't force them to do so. I believe the last of the Big 4 music labels agreed to release their music DRM free, so soon DRM will be gone from music.