OS X Browsing Market Share Hits Record High

Numberzz

25 posts in this topic

Today, Net Applications just released numbers that confirm the browsing market share of Mac OS X (Retail and Mobile) have risen. The Retail version of OS X has gone up to 7.3%; 3.28% for PPC and 4.02% for Intel. This is the second largest jump in market share ever, where, in January, Mac market share went up .55%. But there is more good news: the iPhone/iPod Touch market share is rising. It seems that, when the iPhone was released in July, it had a .04% market share. But now, in December, it has a .12% market share. That means that in 6 months, the iPhone tripled it's browser market share.

netappssurvey.jpg

Full Story

It's funny that, as bad of a product it is, and how poorly it has sold, Windows Vista has already blown past all versions of Mac OS in use. :P

Disclaimer: I love Mac OS Leopard, am currently triple-booting with it, and will be getting a Mac Book Pro when the Penryn models are released. ;)

Now go ahead and flame me.

It's funny that, as bad of a product it is, and how poorly it has sold, Windows Vista has already blown past all versions of Mac OS in use. :P

Disclaimer: I love Mac OS Leopard, am currently triple-booting with it, and will be getting a Mac Book Pro when the Penryn models are released. :)

Now go ahead and flame me.

Vista would be mostly gaining those users from those upgrading from XP therefore not increasing the Windows share just shifting from XP to Vista.

Vista would be mostly gaining those users from those upgrading from XP therefore not increasing the Windows share just shifting from XP to Vista.

I'm going to need more statistics to back that up. All the arguments I've heard trying to explain Vista's popularity despite product suckage claim that the influx in Vista's userbase is due to people getting Vista with NEW computers, not upgrading from XP.

You know, honestly, I personally don't care. Even if Internet Explorer is the most used web-browser on the most used OS, that doesn't really mean anything to me. I'll still continue to use what I prefer.

That's like saying that a rap artist made triple platinum or something, does this really mean anything to me? No, because I probably wont listen to them anyway, but my own preference instead.

No offense, Numberzz, but can we get some news that actually matters or means something? I'm more interested in some of Apple's secrets, you know? I love Numberzz!

NumberzzEdit: Maybe that's because an Apple secret isn't leaked everyday. :(

HaraEdit: Nice edit. Are we in the third grade again? I can't tell. Not everything has to be about Apple as well. You could post some stuff about the progress of Firefox 3. Or Trillian Astra for OS X. Or maybe some games. Or new, fun pieces of software like Joost Beta 1 for OS X. Or the free alternative to LimeWire Pro, ForstWire. See what I am getting at here? Useful info is far more interesting than statistical data about what OS is used for browsing...

Edited by Hara Taiki

It's funny that, as bad of a product it is, and how poorly it has sold, Windows Vista has already blown past all versions of Mac OS in use.

Actually I'm astonished since despite all million dollars, pressure and effort to force Vista's adoption, that hasn't been enough to fool people anymore. Just 10%? that's very good indeed.

I'm going to need more statistics to back that up. All the arguments I've heard trying to explain Vista's popularity despite product suckage claim that the influx in Vista's userbase is due to people getting Vista with NEW computers, not upgrading from XP.

lol. Sorry Gates didn't know it was you.

Actually I'm astonished since despite all million dollars, pressure and effort to force Vista's adoption, that hasn't been enough to fool people anymore. Just 10%? that's very good indeed.

10% is pretty huge growth for the first year. I'm kind of curious to know how Windows 2000 has dropped off so fast, since it's still being used in the majority of Educational and Big Business networks. My school JUST upgraded to Windows XP this last semester, and it's been one problem after the next (though not Windows' fault...the IT dept. here screwed the transition up pretty badly).

I know, I know, me and my logic. You're not the only person it's overwhelmed, believe me.

Out of those 7.30%, how much hackintoshes do you think we represent? :P

Interesting question! I doubt it's a lot - if anything. Remember - OSx86 is still pretty hard to get going on most computers without patching it first...

I've heard the same report on several Mac PodCasts I listen to. Although Windows Vista has more than MacIntel and MacOS combined, shares of Mac have just about doubled in the past year.

Also, the iPhone has more share than all versions of Windows Mobile combined (second only to Blackberry). This is pretty good for product that has only been out for about six months.

--danyel ;)

Today, Net Applications just released numbers that confirm the browsing market share of Mac OS X (Retail and Mobile) have risen.......

netappssurvey.jpg

Full Story

Mac OS X, XP, and Vista are web browsers? Wow. All along I thought that those were operating systems.

Um, I think you grabbed the wrong chart from the article, buddy. It has nothing to do with what you wrote about. ;)

Mac OS X, XP, and Vista are web browsers? Wow. All along I thought that those were operating systems.

Um, I think you grabbed the wrong chart from the article, buddy. It has nothing to do with what you wrote about. ;)

You can tell the OS from the browser...

The article wasn't about web browser share, but about the OS share.

EDIT: To clarify: I said "Browsing Market Share" because this is all we know. From the number of times the website has been accessed by a certain browser on a certain OPERATING SYSTEM. :(

HaraEdit: Nice edit. Are we in the third grade again? I can't tell. Not everything has to be about Apple as well. You could post some stuff about the progress of Firefox 3. Or Trillian Astra for OS X. Or maybe some games. Or new, fun pieces of software like Joost Beta 1 for OS X. Or the free alternative to LimeWire Pro, ForstWire. See what I am getting at here? Useful info is far more interesting than statistical data about what OS is used for browsing...

I agree with Hara Taiki here, software information would be excellent. Also, is there any chance for information about OSX86 releases being news. I appreciate the effort Numberzz is making and enjoy his news, but some of it is pretty useless. NumberzzEdit: I don't have a hackintosh, so I can't keep up on that news. Also, the rumor sites don't usually write about that. ;)

You've earned yourself the fanboy award for 1/2/2008. He questioned Vista's sales, without simply dismissing it as fail! This man must be Bill Gates, you're so clever! I honestly don't know how you Apple fanboys can swallow the lies you spit out.

Jesus, OS X is still under 5% of use, I feel so happy after the switch to hackintosh, I can't believe that OS X is so strong and stable, rock solid OS that is still used by only 4% of computer users ;)

Add the market share of Mac OS and Macintel together =)

You've earned yourself the fanboy award for 1/2/2008. He questioned Vista's sales, without simply dismissing it as fail! This man st be Bill Gates, you're so clever! I honestly don't know how you Apple fanboys can swallow the lies you spit out.

The fanboy award for 1/2/2008? I guess I could put that on top of my PC tower running XP...

Theres nothing like adding the word "fanboy" in a post to make it appear cleverer or more thought out.

Also, the iPhone has more share than all versions of Windows Mobile combined (second only to Blackberry). This is pretty good for product that has only been out for about six months.

I hear that statistic quoted a lot, and while it sounds impressive, really it's not a big accomplishment. Windows Mobile Smartphones have never caught on, almost all WM devices out there are the blackbox standalone PDAs that people buy at Best Buy and Fry's and don't connect to the internet. In addition, a lot of people with Blackberries don't use it for internet browsing. Because of this, it's really hard to gauge Windows Mobile vs. Blackberry vs. iPhone sales based purely on number of browsers active on the internet. That's something you really need to look at actual sales numbers in order to find out true market share.

The fanboy award for 1/2/2008? I guess I could put that on top of my PC tower running XP...

Theres nothing like adding the word "fanboy" in a post to make it appear cleverer or more thought out.

Maybe I misinterpreted or misjudged your post. However it seemed to me that you stated that Vista usage is coming from people upgrading to Vista from XP, which is contrary to everything I've read. Someone asked for statistics, and you called them Gates. That's typical fanboy behavior. I guess I definitely misinterpreted your posts meaning, my bad.

Jesus, OS X is still under 5% of use, I feel so happy after the switch to hackintosh, I can't believe that OS X is so strong and stable, rock solid OS that is still used by only 4% of computer users :(

Somewhat unrelated: After building and using my OSx86 over 2 1/2 years ago, I can say it's very stable and at least as stable as the Windows side. That's saying a lot because we are essentially running a "hack".

Somewhat unrelated: After building and using my OSx86 over 2 1/2 years ago, I can say it's very stable and at least as stable as the Windows side. That's saying a lot because we are essentially running a "hack".

I completely agree but my internal graphics isn't supported by OSX and I only have PCI expansion so my lovely Samsung 1440x900 screen has to stretch the 1024x768 signal :'-( (Kinda makes everything on my phone and my iPod looking stupidly thin if you use it for an more than an hour)

I, honestly starting to get sick of those kind of news! I thought this forum was more about computer freedom, free software and hackintosh, but all I see in the news every time is news about the success of apple, its market share, its revenue and its income, I just don't care, this is a computer forum not a business meeting.