Dell Inspiron 9300/XPS Gen2 (SSE2) - Kaly Install

i9300

71 posts in this topic

Are you sure you have the Kalyway iso? I remember burning another iso which was Leopard for AMD systems (I think with the TOH kernel), and that didn't work at all. Couldn't boot properly with that one. With Kalyway, everything worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Hallo ethernet working with XPS (Bradcom 570x ) !! (Leopard)

Ethernet Lan. DISABLED in BIOS

Start System

remove driver AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

/system/Library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

Ethernet Lan Eniable in Bios !

Why would you removed the driver? it wouldn't work anyways!

Anyways, my broadcom device id is 165e and its in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, which is in the IONetworkingfamily.kext. But i still can't connect to my router nor i can't get to the internet. any help?

Why would you removed the driver? it wouldn't work anyways!

Anyways, my broadcom device id is 165e and its in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, which is in the IONetworkingfamily.kext. But i still can't connect to my router nor i can't get to the internet. any help?

I had to do open my network options in preferences and turn it off and then back on for it to connect. I am connected now but Safari does not work.

*update* well, I cannot ping out. I am getting an IP and can see other computers on the network but that is as far as it goes.

I had to do open my network options in preferences and turn it off and then back on for it to connect. I am connected now but Safari does not work.

*update* well, I cannot ping out. I am getting an IP and can see other computers on the network but that is as far as it goes.

As I suspected setting MAC works through ifconfig command

After that DHCP is working as supposed

Open terminal

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 12:34:56:78:90:AB

As I suspected setting MAC works through ifconfig command After that DHCP is working as supposed Open terminal sudo ifconfig en0 ether 12:34:56:78:90:AB
Thank you very much. That worked!
As I suspected setting MAC works through ifconfig command After that DHCP is working as supposed Open terminal sudo ifconfig en0 ether 12:34:56:78:90:AB
It seems I have to do that command everything I startup. Is there a way to make that change permanent?

Thank you very much. That worked!It seems I have to do that command everything I startup. Is there a way to make that change permanent?

Auto DHCP !

Remove driver

system/Library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

download new 5701 patch XPS Leo go to /system/Library/extensions/

open terminal

3. open Terminal

4. sudo -s

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

6. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

reboot

Worked perfect !

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.zip

greetings ppl.

I´ve tried now in several ways to install "kaly" osx86 on my machine. Ive used the kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso that i found on torrent sites after i read up on this thread.

My inspiron 9300 specs is as follows:

CPU: Pentium M 1.86 Ghz, 2048 cache

RAM: 1024 ddr2 SDRAM

HDD: 60GB

Graphic card: GeForce 6800 Go

(if any other info is relevant pls let me know)

I can boot from the installer dvd, and i can run diskutility to create the MBR or GUID partition that i need (tried both types)

My computer runs through the whole installer process with no interuption or any hassle at all. I´ve selected the SSE2 and MBR/GUID option in customized according to the partition table that i chose earlier. Still: when I am rebooting from install to boot from HDD for the first time i only get the blinking " _ " at the top left corner of the screen.

What am i doing wrong??

Would love some thoughts on this :P

greetings ppl.I´ve tried now in several ways to install "kaly" osx86 on my machine. Ive used the kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso that i found on torrent sites after i read up on this thread.My inspiron 9300 specs is as follows:CPU: Pentium M 1.86 Ghz, 2048 cacheRAM: 1024 ddr2 SDRAMHDD: 60GBGraphic card: GeForce 6800 Go(if any other info is relevant pls let me know)I can boot from the installer dvd, and i can run diskutility to create the MBR or GUID partition that i need (tried both types)My computer runs through the whole installer process with no interuption or any hassle at all. I´ve selected the SSE2 and MBR/GUID option in customized according to the partition table that i chose earlier. Still: when I am rebooting from install to boot from HDD for the first time i only get the blinking " _ " at the top left corner of the screen.What am i doing wrong??Would love some thoughts on this :wacko:
Are you putting a space into the disk name? When I did that I had this same issue. I just made my disk name one word and that problem did not come back. Also, make sure you are just choose sse2 install and the efi_mbr option under customize in the installer.
Auto DHCP ! Remove driversystem/Library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext download new 5701 patch XPS Leo go to /system/Library/extensions/open terminal 3. open Terminal4. sudo -s5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/6. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kextreboot Worked perfect !
so to be clear, drop the patched driver you have attached to /System/Library/Extensions/ and not /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/Is that correct?

Are you putting a space into the disk name? When I did that I had this same issue. I just made my disk name one word and that problem did not come back. Also, make sure you are just choose sse2 install and the efi_mbr option under customize in the installer.so to be clear, drop the patched driver you have attached to /System/Library/Extensions/ and not /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/Is that correct?

NEW DRIVER attached to

/System/Library/Extensions/

OK ppl.. so i finally got to boot my install due to no spaces in HDD name (untitled 1 is the default) BUT:

the videodriver thingy: in your guide u say:

1.b Edit the following two files:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

!!!For both of these files, Change the line that says:

CODE

<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

you are pointing to the same file in both cases....what second file are u talking about? Ofcourse i tried only editing the /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist and that {censored}ed up my boot process...gonna try a clean install and use denses :

EDIT: i f i can get my comp to boot from the DVD again....:D

"To get graphics working all you need to do is edit NVDANV40Hal.kext and add in 00c810de to the end of the PCIMatch line.

Drop in NVinject 0.21 and you should have working graphics.

Forget about modifying NVDAResMan.kext and GeForce.kext. That only applies to Tiger and isn't relevant anymore."

Kringon

OK ppl.. so i finally got to boot my install due to no spaces in HDD name (untitled 1 is the default) BUT:

the videodriver thingy: in your guide u say:

1.b Edit the following two files:

!!!For both of these files, Change the line that says:

CODE

<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

you are pointing to the same file in both cases....what second file are u talking about? Ofcourse i tried only editing the /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist and that {censored}ed up my boot process...gonna try a clean install and use denses :

EDIT: i f i can get my comp to boot from the DVD again....:)

"To get graphics working all you need to do is edit NVDANV40Hal.kext and add in 00c810de to the end of the PCIMatch line.

Drop in NVinject 0.21 and you should have working graphics.

Forget about modifying NVDAResMan.kext and GeForce.kext. That only applies to Tiger and isn't relevant anymore."

Kringon

I got my graphics going by using the NVinjectGo.0.2.0 from http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

I also got my device ID from Apple > About This Mac > More Info > Graphics/Displays and edited it into certain kexts per this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69855

Hey, when I install it on my HP dv1175 (SSE2 as well) I check just SSE2_system and BOOT_efi_mbr in the customize section. Then I install it, after it says Install Successful and I reboot, it goes to the countdown menu, then OS X loads. BUT, when it's at the grey screen, the spinning thing stops spinning around 10-15 seconds in. I asked someone else and they said to wait 20minutes (they didnt know if it froze or not). I'm wondering if this happened to anyone (spinner froze) and they waited 20-30 min and it worked.

Hey, when I install it on my HP dv1175 (SSE2 as well) I check just SSE2_system and BOOT_efi_mbr in the customize section. Then I install it, after it says Install Successful and I reboot, it goes to the countdown menu, then OS X loads. BUT, when it's at the grey screen, the spinning thing stops spinning around 10-15 seconds in. I asked someone else and they said to wait 20minutes (they didnt know if it froze or not). I'm wondering if this happened to anyone (spinner froze) and they waited 20-30 min and it worked.
Have you tried pressing a key for boot options and using the -v flag to see what is holding it up? I have no experience with that freeze up.
NEW DRIVER attached to /System/Library/Extensions/
Worked great! Thanks!

I tried it and used the nvinject .2.1 Works like a charm!

I even upgraded to 1.5.2 leopard style now. worked wonderfull at first, but now suddenly my ethernet card stopped working. os x recognizes it, but it claims that the cable is unplugged. Ofcourse i have tried several types of cable :)

will try to look up a fix now

I have Inspiron 9300 with ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

I was able to get 1920x1200 with Callisto 003 and Koverg's patch. As far as QE/CI, I have come up empty handed. Has anyone got QE/CI on the i9300 with ATI X300 Mobility?

System:

Kalyway 10.5.1 > Kalyway Intel combo update 10.5.2 (Sleep no longer works)

1.6GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM

Working wireless, no patching needed (Dell 1350: Ven 14e4, Dev 4320)

Working sound, no patching needed (Sigmatel C-Major: Ven 8086, Dev 266e)

Working IEEE1394, no patching needed

ATI Mobility Radeon X300, 1920x1200, No QE/CI, No Chess (Dev 5460)

So, anyone have any luck with ATI?

any steps to upgrade from 10.5.1 kalyway to 10.5.2 with the i9300?

thanks for your info, i would like to upgrade but i feel 10.5.1 so smooth, and sleep working.

I installed the Kalyway combo update, then I had to update my kernel to the one located at http://netkas.org/?p=51

After that, I had to copy the System.kext over to /System/Library/Extensions/ from the Kalyway backup folder that comes with the update. Everything worked like a charm. Before I updated the kernel and the system.kext, I had about a 3 minute boot time. Everything works great now.

Well, getting Kalyway 10.5.1 running with my Dell 9300 / Nvidia 6800 Go has been a challenge. I'm stuck on the same place every time it seems.

I have 10.5.2 installed (10.5.1 -> Kalyway 10.5.2 update). I get a 1024x768 screen with no QI/QE. I installed the Leapord Graphics Update, then tried manually installing NVInject, using the NVInjectGo installer, and Titan.kext.

Every time I use these, I reboot into a "You need to restart your computer" greyscreen.... so I would reinstall from scratch and start over (I *just* figured out how to boot into a shell and delete any .kext I had installed).

Any words of wisdom here? I am reading all these people having success getting hardware acceleration in 1920x1200 on their Dell 9300, and I'm really stuck.

I am willing to format the partition again and reinstall from scratch, whatever it takes.

Well, getting Kalyway 10.5.1 running with my Dell 9300 / Nvidia 6800 Go has been a challenge. I'm stuck on the same place every time it seems.

I have 10.5.2 installed (10.5.1 -> Kalyway 10.5.2 update). I get a 1024x768 screen with no QI/QE. I installed the Leapord Graphics Update, then tried manually installing NVInject, using the NVInjectGo installer, and Titan.kext.

Every time I use these, I reboot into a "You need to restart your computer" greyscreen.... so I would reinstall from scratch and start over (I *just* figured out how to boot into a shell and delete any .kext I had installed).

Any words of wisdom here? I am reading all these people having success getting hardware acceleration in 1920x1200 on their Dell 9300, and I'm really stuck.

I am willing to format the partition again and reinstall from scratch, whatever it takes.

I would skip the 10.5.2 update. I tried to install it, but i lost my ethernet card, and i really would like to get internet on my laptop :censored2: (since there is no drivers for the intel 2200 b/g wireless card for 10.5 yet this is my only connection)

I am not sure if i have QI/QE (dont really know what that is..), but i do get 1920x1200 resolution easy in both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2(not recomended though) by replacing the pci-id in three files under /system/library/extensions.

the files is: Geforce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext (there are some earlier posts on this matter in this thread)

then i copied nvinject.kext into the same directory and rebooted

when i booted into OS X again, my resolution was 1920x1200

you got QE/CI if you can run Frontrow.

only way i can get it is with titan... nvinject (GO VERSION) doesnt work for me, i gave up for now on it, 2x OSX installs..

maybe is because i got 10.5.1 , dunno..

I have Inspiron 9300 with ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

I was able to get 1920x1200 with Callisto 003 and Koverg's patch. As far as QE/CI, I have come up empty handed. Has anyone got QE/CI on the i9300 with ATI X300 Mobility?

System:

Kalyway 10.5.1 > Kalyway Intel combo update 10.5.2 (Sleep no longer works)

1.6GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM

Working wireless, no patching needed (Dell 1350: Ven 14e4, Dev 4320)

Working sound, no patching needed (Sigmatel C-Major: Ven 8086, Dev 266e)

Working IEEE1394, no patching needed

ATI Mobility Radeon X300, 1920x1200, No QE/CI, No Chess (Dev 5460)

So, anyone have any luck with ATI?

Just to reiterate...

For those without success with GeForce cards, make sure your kexts have your device ID in the info.plists.

As was said, edit this file in Geforce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext (In fact, adding your device ID to all NVDANV*0Hal.kexts wouldn't hurt), NVDAResman.kext as well as the NVinject.kext ... this should give you QE/CI and happiness.

If only it were so easy for ATI...

"..If only it were so easy for ATI... "

I'm back after being away for 2 years out of the loop, so this made me laugh out loud remembering how I bought an X300 to get the screen resultion change

Wow, big progress, I'm installing 10.5.1 right now, and this thread is EXCELLENT

thanks a lot

**check out my old sig :D

the dell 9300 is back to the 6800go and the other laptop is now an M90, thats next if I can get this running :P lol