Dell Inspiron 9300/XPS Gen2 (SSE2) - Kaly Install

i9300

71 posts in this topic

Some info on Kaly 10.5 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 (aka i9300).

See http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=700 for info on this dvd.

Thanks Kaly and Dune31 for their hard work! :blink:

My System:

Dell Inspiron 9300: #This post is really only for issues regarding the i9300/XPS Gen2

2 Ghz Pentium-M Processor, 2MB Cache, 533MHz FSB (THIS IS SSE2 ONLY!)

Nvidia Geforce 6800 Go 256MB WUXGA TrueLife(1920 x 1200)

1.2 GB RAM

80 GB Hard Drive

DVDRW Optical Drive

Dell True Mobile 1350: This one works with no additional steps I have this one installed

Other Wireless Cards:

Dell True Mobile 1450: No info yet

Intel PRO 2200 B/G: Here is the posting for the Drivers I have not tried this yet! *Thanks jalavoui

At this writing There is enough HW working to call it a successful install. I will keep this first post updated with as more info becomes functional.

Tested Working:

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Go @ 1920x1200 with QE! Using this driver

Keyboard and Trackpad

Media Buttons on front!

Wireless via Dell 1350

USB Ports (External Mouse)

Sound

DVDRW _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6500A Test Burn with hdiutil

Tested not working:

SD CardReader

I'm still searching for a possible extension that will work.

WIP: (Work in progress)

Should Work (not tested):

Have not tested:

FireWire (I do not have any FireWire devices)

PCMCIA Slot

Netgear Gige PCMCIA

Broadcom 10/100 NIC

Audio in/out

Modem (Whats this for??!?!) UMMM I have not used a modem in years

Disclaimer

**** Some tasks are not for beginners. Anything to do with ghost, vmware guests should be done by someone experienced with those products. I chose ghost so I can reformat the WHOLE drive as needed without worrying about my Windows side. If you do not know what to do with ghost, this post is NOT meant as tutorial for ghost or vmware fusion. I am only describing what steps I took!**** <_< Also -- I wrote all this from memory, it is possible that some steps are not entirely accurate. If you find something that needs changing, let me know and I will edit.

The pre-install:

* Backup my XP partition with ghost32.exe. Ghost is a program that will copy the contents of a whole partition into one file. You can then restore the partition after the OSX install.

0. Manually backup any REALLY important data

1. Remove HD for laptop and install into usb external case.

2. Fire up Window Guest OS (using Vmware fusion) on my Mac Mini.

3. Use ghost32 to copy my fat32 partition into file on the mac mini

4. Remove and reinstall HD into i9300

5. As of now, I have not had to make any changes to my bios settings

Kaly OS DVD

1. Read at least the first 10 pages of this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=700

Most possible problems have been addressed in the first few pages. You will learn where to get the DVD.

2. Use the torrent to get the iso in zip format.

3. I downloaded the zip to the mini. Once downloaded open terminal to check checksum.

$ md5 -q (name of zip file)

It should match what Kaly has on first page.

4. Unzip (use winrar if unzipping on windows). I used Apple Archive Utility (/System/Library/CoreServices/Archive Utility)

5. Check the checksum of the iso file

$ md5 -q (name of iso file)

5. Burn the iso. In OSX you can burn easily from the command line.

$ hdiutil burn (name of iso file)

-Want it to burn faster?

$ hdiutil burn -noverifyburn (name of iso file)

-- It simply does not verify the condition of the burn BUT don't complain if the disk has ISSUES.

Kally DVD Install:

1. Shove the disk in and boot off it. My i9300 did not have any issues booting off the DVD. I can't speak for other SSE2 computers.

2. As soon as you can, click on Utilities/Disk Utility

I let the installer repartition my whole disk, since I will restore Windows later.

3. Select the partition scheme you want, for me it was two partitions. Then look at the "options" button below your two partitions. Select either MBR or GUID options. I used MBR because I have no knowledge of GUID.

4. I canged the sizes of the partitions to 50gb HFS+ Journeled and 23GB for FAT. The Windows partition needs to be larger than the data saved in preinstall step #3.

5. After applying the changes -- Go back to installer

6. After selecting the install disk hit continue then "customize"!!!! This is important!

7. In the customize screen

7a. Deselect both the vanilla kernels. This is for SSE3 systems only. The i9300 is SSE2 only.

7b. Select SSE2 option

7c. As tempting as it is, do not select the NVinjectGo extensions. After all the reboots AFTER I installed this extension, the laptop would lockup.

7d. IMPORTANT!! Expand the bootloader section. Choose the option that matches step #3. If you formatted for MBR then select MBR. If you choose GUID, then select GUID. IMPORTANT!! If these items do not match -- You will have the dredded blinking cursor when you reboot and you will have to sit through the install again.

8. The only two items should be SSE2 and MBR OR GUID.

So

SSE2 + MBR

OR

SSE2 + GUID

I don not know if both matter, I can only say I selected one.

9. Let it rip. I did not time the last install but I think around 30 mins.

10. IMPORTANT!! Jiggle the mouse! Not sure what the time period is but I seemed to freeze up on the install if I just left it alone. So abut every 5-10 mins I would move the mouse around and click a few times. If it freezes up, you will not see the mouse on the screen and caps lock button will not work. If that happens, power cycle the laptop and start over -- This time jiggle the mouse around.

11. After install is complete, take the install disk out and boot into Kaly's OSX.

Additional Steps/Drivers:

I will update this with steps needed to make additional HW work.

1. Video Driver install -- I used this thread as reference. This is only for 6800go on i9300. Thanks Dense for your posts!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...80&p=270458

1.a Download Titan.kext

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan

as root, copy it into /System/Library/Extensions

ensure owner:group is and permissions are 755 or just copythis line,

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext;chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

1.b Edit the following two files:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

!!!For both of these files, Change the line that says:

<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

To Read:

<string>0x00c810de</string>

1.c Reboot and you should have 1920x1200.

2. Here is my /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

Insidious:SystemConfiguration root# more com.apple.Boot.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-legacy</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>
com.apple.Boot.plist (END)

3. Windows Key.

3a. /System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard/Modifier Keys

Change Option Key to Command Key

Restore Windows Partition:

1. Pull the disk back out and install into usb. Plug into mac mini.

2. In Windows Guest OS from the mac mini, use ghost32 to restore the windows partition. Make sure that you select the correct drive and the correct partition. You can mess up a lot of work if you are not careful

3. Reinstall the drive and test boot Windows

As I said in the beginning, I will update items as I get them working.

Have fun

-Chris

Kalyway 10.5.1 Went just fine.

about your Resolution problem, i got 1900x1200 using the old but effective Titan Kext =)

everything else just works

Sleep/shutdown and installs.

ISSUES so far:

when i play a game my sounds gets all messed up and cant lower the volume anymore, wonder what would that be...

can lower the volume but "IN-GAME" , after that i have to use the "PROGRAM" to lower it, unless i log off and log on again.

ICAL doesnt work, loads and then it crash, tells me to try it again.

anything else you would like to disccuss put it here and ill try to reply back, i wanted someone with my same system to boot kaly to share probs.

My System:

dell 9300

Pentium M

nvidia 6800go

dell wireless 1450

I can't get it to work on my Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2. I selected only SSE2 and MBR, and everything installs correctly, but after the reboot, I get the, "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." error message.

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS to get this to work?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

That is the problem I had when I selected the nvidia drivers. I did the install without selecting any video drivers.

Also boot with the option -v.

When I was having problems I actually pulled out the digital camera and took pictures before the reboots with the -v.

This is the picture of my problems with nvinjectgo. My confusion was that this driver looks like it loads correctly and everything is ok.2127665386_e8c32ab683_b.jpg

It was not until I removed the video drivers, that I got a bootable system.

-Chris

Kalyway 10.5.1 Went just fine.

about your Resolution problem, i got 1900x1200 using the old but effective Titan Kext =)

everything else just works

Sleep/shutdown and installs.

ISSUES so far:

when i play a game my sounds gets all messed up and cant lower the volume anymore, wonder what would that be...

can lower the volume but "IN-GAME" , after that i have to use the "PROGRAM" to lower it, unless i log off and log on again.

ICAL doesnt work, loads and then it crash, tells me to try it again.

anything else you would like to disccuss put it here and ill try to reply back, i wanted someone with my same system to boot kaly to share probs.

My System:

dell 9300

Pentium M

nvidia 6800go

dell wireless 1450

I updated the "Additional Steps" to include the Titan install. I have limited time to play with all this.

-Question

I assume your 1450 works. Do you get g connection out of it (54mb)? I believe I have a 1450 also. I have 3 the Intel 2200 (I have read on here there is driver for it), the 1450 and 1350. I have the 1350 in right now. I didn't feel like fiddeling with it.

I have not played with any real apps. Mostly just Firefox and this website ;)

On Network Utility where it says the hardware address,ip,link speed,link status,vendor, model:

it says Wireless Network Adapter 802.11 a/b/g

and on link speed 54 Mbit/s

Hope that helps...

Also about sound i think is only on Transgaming games that my sound gets messed up, i tried WOW, SIMS, and it worked just fine.

PS. On kalyway DVD you cant put the video drivers, cause the system wont boot.

i always do it manual after Jas 10.4.8 , always works after i knew what to do.

Please check your Ical to see if it worked. =x

byebye. =)

On Network Utility where it says the hardware address,ip,link speed,link status,vendor, model:

it says Wireless Network Adapter 802.11 a/b/g

and on link speed 54 Mbit/s

Hope that helps...

Also about sound i think is only on Transgaming games that my sound gets messed up, i tried WOW, SIMS, and it worked just fine.

PS. On kalyway DVD you cant put the video drivers, cause the system wont boot.

i always do it manual after Jas 10.4.8 , always works after i knew what to do.

Please check your Ical to see if it worked. =x

byebye. =)

Thanks for the info, I will try my 1450.

I did specify in the howto on first post to NOT select video drivers. That was my downfall as well.

I know the ical does not work

Succesfull install! DELL INSPIRON 9300 with ATI RADEON X300 Graphic card.

I've followed the steps of i9300 aka Chris!, till adding the 6800go drivers. As this inspiron is based on an ATI card.

The install whent flawwless, twiddled a lot with the mouse during install to keep it going.

After the reboot it booted in 1024x768 mode.

I rebooted and used the boot option "Graphic Mode"="1920x1200x32" and booted rigth into the hires mode.

Then i add this boot settings to the boot file: com.apple.Boot.plist to have it startup in hires default.

I used a empty spare hd for this install of 6Gb which 'just' fit the whole os.

Wzzl

Succesfull install! DELL INSPIRON 9300 with ATI RADEON X300 Graphic card.

I've followed the steps of i9300 aka Chris!, till adding the 6800go drivers. As this inspiron is based on an ATI card.

The install whent flawwless, twiddled a lot with the mouse during install to keep it going.

After the reboot it booted in 1024x768 mode.

I rebooted and used the boot option "Graphic Mode"="1920x1200x32" and booted rigth into the hires mode.

Then i add this boot settings to the boot file: com.apple.Boot.plist to have it startup in hires default.

I used a empty spare hd for this install of 6Gb which 'just' fit the whole os.

Wzzl

Thanks for the input! If you run into any other tips, let me know and I'll add it to first post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Inspiron 9300 with the nvidia 6800 Go 256mb. I had it working in 10.4.8 - in fact, I think it was the best part of my mod then. But my permissions and users got trashed and the only recovery was to finally install Kalyway 10.5.1 on top. Things are working except for:

1. iCal broken - is there a fix? Sounds common. :)

2. I can't get full support with QE/CI at 1440x900 working with Titan or any of the recent "nvidia packages" such as Punk92's or Alex's 8x00 installer for Leo Only. I've had all sorts of variations of kext's with my specific 0x00c810de ID in the Info.plist's and I either lock up on boot, or get the generic no-QE 1024x768 video. What specific packages do you guys with this card (Dense, i9300 ?) use to get things working again? I had NVinject-Go, non-Go, Natit, and Titan which used to work - can't get it working. Not sure which of the NVDA* extensions I should have, not have, and/or have my ID in or left-as-is.

Thanks all!

CPngN

Working in 10.5.1: sound, ethernet BX440, sleep... kinda. It doesn't blank the display, but then again I don't have video working right yet. All my old Mail and keychains stayed in a renamed /Users/username/ -> /Users/username-old/ folder, which I then copied pieces over into my new /Users/username/ folder. whew!

To get graphics working all you need to do is edit NVDANV40Hal.kext and add in 00c810de to the end of the PCIMatch line.

Drop in NVinject 0.21 and you should have working graphics.

Forget about modifying NVDAResMan.kext and GeForce.kext. That only applies to Tiger and isn't relevant anymore.

I can't get it to work on my Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2. I selected only SSE2 and MBR, and everything installs correctly, but after the reboot, I get the, "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." error message.

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS to get this to work?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

The same thing is happening to me. I followed all of the steps and it does this every time.

dell 9200...works fine.

where can I get ATI radeon 9700 mobility driver?

thnx

and also..

i think I hve a 1350 or 1450 wireless card, but

can't seem leopard can't see it...

where can I get the driver for both of these ?

video driver & wireless card driver...?

thnx

a mill in advance

god bless!

The same thing is happening to me. I followed all of the steps and it does this every time.

I was finally able to install this on the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2.

You have to DISABLE Gigabit Ethernet in the BIOS. The Dell Inspiron 9300 has a 10/100 Ethernet Card, the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 has 10/100/1000 Ethernet Card.

Everything that works:

Installed Titan.kext and now I have 1920x1200 resolution. :)

Sound works.

Sleep works.

Everything that doesn't work:

Ethernet Lan. DISABLED in BIOS.

Wireless Ethernet.

I have an Atheros AR5006 wireless card. Can anyone point me to drivers for this card?

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with the Nvidia 6800. When using the Kaly DVD I can install, but get b0 error on reboot. Followed the instructions step by step

UPDATE:

Got this install to work. Make sure you go into the disk utility highlight the Physical drive, choose partition, set your partitions and make sure you click the options button and set it to GUID or MBR so you know FOR SURE what format you are using. Using GUID I chose SSE2 and GUID in the customize section. Got the video to work using i9300's directions, but the only thing NOT working is the wireless - Intel Pro 2200bg.

Anyone have an idea on getting wireless to work.

I have tried all of the solutions I could find here and at another OSX86 site. Does anyone have any of the intel chipsets working?

I've tried this exact method with MBR, 1 partition, etc, to no avail.

I have a xps gen 2 2ghz, 100gb disk, 7800go gtx, etc etc,

What i get is a full install with a green circle and a check mark saying everything is good to go.

Unfortunately when i reboot i get a blinking cursor and thats it. The HDD activity light is solid ( not blinking ) but ive left it alone for like 10 minutes or more, with no boot into osx.

I tried disabling the NIC as well, with no dice.

Anyone got any other ideas before i throw vista back on it?

:(

Okay. Here's my story

My laptop:

I9300

1.6Ghz 400mhz bus Banias Pentium M. Pinmodded to 533Mhz bus for 2.1Ghz

1.25GB Ram

80GB WD hard drive

Partitions:

1. utility partition

2. XP Pro ~45GB

3. 25GB partition for OSX

Using Acronis DiskDirector, I resized my XP partition to allow for 25GB for OSX. I had to create a new non formatted primary partion in DiskDirector for the Install Utility to see and format the partition.

I ran the installer and formatted the partition I made as Mac Filesystem (journaled).

For installation I used only the SSE2 option and the EFI MBR option based on the partition I made earlier.

(Earlier attempts using the Nvidia laptop driver option resulted in blinking cursor)

Once installed (~30min, though takes 15 for DVD to boot and get to Install Utility) I obtained the Titan.kext file and manually made the file ownership and permission chages listed in the first post.

Here is where things diverge from the first post.

I had to edit the Info.plist in 3 files for my system to successfully boot, otherwise I get a 'your machine is messed up, hold the power button to shut down' error at boot. I made these file edits in the terminal utility after booting from the install DVD.

I made the edits in Geforce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext, and NVDAResman.kext

I used the pci-id 0x00c810de in all three files referenced in this post: Getting Nvidia Video Cards to Work on Leopard

Once these edits were all complete, I did a 'touch /volumes/MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions'. insert your volume name rather than my MacintoshHD to have the correct path if you are doing this from the Install DVD terminal.

After this I was able to exit the DVD and boot successfully.

I could not use the Intel 2200BG adapter that came with my Dell, however I had a MiniPCI Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b,g based adapter that I tore out of a bricked Belkin wifi router a while back, which I was able to install and MacOS picked up immediately and let me get onto my WPA network with no problems.

I installed Acronis OS Selector from an Acronis Bootable Rescue Media boot CD to give me back the ability to boot my XP install. My guess is that this was not necessary as the Darwin bootloader suddenly appeared and perhaps from there I can boot the XP install also. I installed the Acronis loader onto my XP partition from its setup.

problems:

Sleep is somewhat finicky and is slow to get into and get out of. It also will sometimes decide the keyboard 0 key has been pressed forever. This stops if I press a key, like backspace.

I have not yet found a method to get the 2 finger scroll going yet. I will update this post when I do.

I hope this helps others who might have had some trouble with this.

EDIT 1: Installed custom powermanagement.bundle from here. Successfully shows battery meter.

I was finally able to install this on the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2.

You have to DISABLE Gigabit Ethernet in the BIOS. The Dell Inspiron 9300 has a 10/100 Ethernet Card, the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 has 10/100/1000 Ethernet Card.

Everything that works:

Installed Titan.kext and now I have 1920x1200 resolution. :)

Sound works.

Sleep works.

Everything that doesn't work:

Ethernet Lan. DISABLED in BIOS.

Wireless Ethernet.

I have an Atheros AR5006 wireless card. Can anyone point me to drivers for this card?

Awesome. I got it installed now and it boots. I got my video working but now my NIC does not work and no wireless. Is the best option to just go ahead and purchase a different NIC and Wireless card?

Hey All!

I am having the same problem as iamjero and maybe a few others of you out there. After I do a successful install of Kaly 10.5, I reboot to the dredded blinking cursor screen. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution.

Also for anyone who cant get a successful install (like my first 5 attempts) - right before its about to finish installing I get a unkown error message, My solution: when you format the hd, choose only one partition, call it what you like - choose Mac OS Extended (journaled) partition type, and click on OPTOINS, then choose MBR - click apply/ok to close window then apply/ok the formatting options you just chose - this will ask you if you want to partition the drive - do so. Close disk util - When installing, click on customize and select ONLY the SSE2 stuff, and in the last option choose MBR ONLY - no GUID. I did not install anything else other than SSE2 and MBR as i9300 mentioned earlier. That solved that poblem.

Laptop Specs:

Dell Inspiron 9300

Nvidia GoForce 6800

120 GB HD

2GB RAM

Pentium M (centrino) 2 GHz (533 MHz FSB)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Matt

Hey All!

I am having the same problem as iamjero and maybe a few others of you out there. After I do a successful install of Kaly 10.5, I reboot to the dredded blinking cursor screen. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution.

Also for anyone who cant get a successful install (like my first 5 attempts) - right before its about to finish installing I get a unkown error message, My solution: when you format the hd, choose only one partition, call it what you like - choose Mac OS Extended (journaled) partition type, and click on OPTOINS, then choose MBR - click apply/ok to close window then apply/ok the formatting options you just chose - this will ask you if you want to partition the drive - do so. Close disk util - When installing, click on customize and select ONLY the SSE2 stuff, and in the last option choose MBR ONLY - no GUID. I did not install anything else other than SSE2 and MBR as i9300 mentioned earlier. That solved that poblem.

Laptop Specs:

Dell Inspiron 9300

Nvidia GoForce 6800

120 GB HD

2GB RAM

Pentium M (centrino) 2 GHz (533 MHz FSB)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Matt

This happened to be a lot until I stopped putting a space in the name of the drive. For example, instead of Hackintosh HD I do Hackintosh and that seems to get me installed without the blinking cursor. My only issue now is the onboard ethernet not working (disabled so I can boot without kernel panic) and wireless not working.

Enabling the PCCard / "PCMCIA" slot on the Inspiron 9300

So I've got a modified retail install of Leopard working and it's pretty stable. I just got a D-Link DWA-652 wireless-N card slot adapter but OS X doesn't seem to recognize it at all. System Profiler shows nothing for airport card (supposedly will work natively) or PCI Cards. Someone mentioned getting an older versions working on the same Dell Inspiron 9300.. said they had trouble with the PCCard slot though, but no details.

Any idea what I have to do to get Leopard to recognize my card slot and this adapter?? I'm a little iffy on pulling old 10.4.8 kext's into 10.5.1; my 10.4.8 networking wasn't very reliable and I don't want that again if avoidable.

It's supposedly an Atheros AR5416 chipset.

Thanks!

*bump*

I also ran through the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 successfully on my Dell 9300 after several attempts. Here are problems I encountered (before seeing this thread).

1. Installation only worked when only the SSE2 and MBR was selected and nothing else (I'm using MBR).

2. The installation froze several times, until I jiggled the mouse over and over like the original post said.

After this, OS X booted without problems. I got full graphics working by downloading NVInject 0.2.1 from

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

Just for reference here are the installation steps I used:

1) Copy NVinject.kext or NVinjectGo.kext in folder /System/Library/Extensions/

2) Remove any natit.kext, titan.kext or nvidiaefi.kext from Extensions folder (not necessary for clean install).

3) Update permissions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

4) Edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/

cp Info.plist Info.plist.orig (backup the original file)

sudo chmod a+w Info.plist (make it writable)

Added the string " 0x00c810de&0xff0ffff" to the end of the section indicated in the first post.

sudo chmod 644 Info.plist (restore permissions)

5) Reboot system and QE/CI graphics work

Dell Inspirion 9300

GeForce 6800 Go

I am new to this project and I am currently trying to do this install on my XPS Gen 2. I have downloaded the ISO and burnt using Nero (making sure to verify the data after) but I get an EBIOS error when Darwin first loads. Is this common? Any help is greatly appreciated!