Dell Inspiron 9300/XPS Gen2 (SSE2) - Kaly Install

i9300

71 posts in this topic

Yep, good ole abandoned Callisto means ATI in Leopard has become a thorn in my side.

I can get 1920x1200, but no QE/CI. Makes for an "almost there" feeling.

Aside from the lack of sleep (the machine, too), everything else works great. Wireless and sound required no additional work, wired ethernet works on one account (not sure why not the other... but only wireless is used, so who cares?), and WinXP/Ubuntu on the same drive for tri-boot bliss.

But still, no luck on the QE/CI. It's an old enough machine to result in low demand for X300 full-support in Leopard. Bummer.

Still trying...

Man o-man, I've forgotten everything I used to know (and that wasn;t a lot)

4th install, I can install 10.5.1 Kally and upgrade to 10.5.2 easy enough but the graphics are hosing my system. Ive tried this titan route and also nvinject postr install

1.a Download Titan.kext

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan

as root, copy it into /System/Library/Extensions

ensure owner:group is and permissions are 755 or just copythis line,

CODEchown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext;chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

1.b Edit the following two files:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

!!!For both of these files, Change the line that says:

CODE<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

To Read:

CODE<string>0x00c810de</string>

1.c Reboot and you should have 1920x1200.

Questions:

in 1a can I just drag and drop? and then open terminal and type in the chown / chmod line?

in 1b the same file is marked for editing twice, readin through the thread, do i just edit that one and not the other two (dalseman & geforce)?

Do I add the new string on, or delete the old ones and replace it; and why does it not have the form 0x00c810de&0xff0ffff that is noted elsewhere in the thread?

Can I edit this by copying and pasting the info.plist file to the desktop, editing it there and copying and replacing it back? When I do this do I need to do anything before rebooting

Jeez this is like walking thru treacle coming back to this.......steep relearning curve

If there is a complete step by step somewhere, can you please point me to it, thanks!

I have a lower success rate with installers vs manual install of kexts. Drag and drop works, but it often works better to move things around in Terminal.

I'd try NVinject as I've had the best success with nVidia cards in Leopard with it. Start with the latest version and work your way backwards, I'd say.

As far as the modifications, backup the kexts you want to modify.

mkdir /Backup

cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext /Backup

Copy those to your desktop for easy reference. You'll modify these, not the ones in the backup folder.

Edit the info.plists for all the kexts on your desktop. This probably isn't necessary, but it's given me first-try results on a number of installs.

I merely add the DevID to the end of all the strings. Again, you could probably erase the rest, but I leave them in "just in case." If it gives you trouble, you can always erase the rest later.

It's fine if your DevID isn't in the same format as 0x00c810de&0xff0ffff. Something such as 0x006110de will suffice. Not sure where the post-ampersand hex comes in.

Copy NVinject.kext to your desktop (if it's in an installer, you may have to extract it with Pacifist) and add your DevID if necessary.

Now, let's add them to the Extensions directory.

sudo cp -r ~/Desktop/NV*.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Clean cache.

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Repair permissions.

diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot.

sudo reboot

Make sure to boot in verbose (-v after F8) to watch for errors/hault points.

If you have trouble booting (kernel panic, freeze, black screen, et cetera), boot with -s. After checking the volume and mounting as read/write, erase the new, modified kexts and replace the originals.

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

sudo cp -r /Backup/NV*.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I think you can also repair permissions from here...

diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot and try a different version of NVinject. Assuming your other kexts were edited properly, this time you'll only have to move NVinject.kext to and from the Extensions directory.

Hope this helps...

i use this guide everytime (TITAN HELP GUIDE)

PROPS to the author of this guide, dont know his name, sorry.

well here we goooooo.... =p

0x00c810de - ID 6800go

0x03000000&0xff000000 - TITAN #

To accomplish all of this:

- Drop your Titan or Natit kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

- Edit the kexts and clean up as follows.

- Go to Terminal and type:

CODE

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

(-- give password)

cd Extensions

sudo nano GeForce.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(-- edit the entire string <string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff ... </string>

down to <string>0xNNNN10de</string> where NNNN is your device id)

(-- press Control-O to save)

(-- press <Enter> to accept file name)

(-- press Control-X to exit)

(-- repeat "sudo nano" commands above for NVDAResman.kext)

(-- repeat "sudo nano" commands above for NVDANVxxHal.kext where xx is value of your particular kext from table above)

sudo chown -Rf root:wheel GeForce* NVDA* Titan* Natit*

sudo chmod -Rf 755 GeForce* NVDA* Titan* Natit*

diskutil repairPermissions /

- Then reboot.

Hey all,

Its been a while since I've been able to check back, but YES - THANKYOU wilem - the space in the volume name while partitioning in setup (using disk utility) was what caused the error. Now that I got it up and running and have some time I am going to try to get QE/CI working... joe1chen seems to have a solution - if I find anything wrong with it or anything I encounter I will be sure to post! Thanks guys!

-Matti

<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

To Read:

<string>0x00c810de</string>

Hi, you talk about two files (both are the same file) which is the other one?

By the other way.... i try to do the first step, when i assign permissions, but you code doesn't work, it returns that can't modify.....

Please give some help with this....

Driver for intel wireless?

I also ran through the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 successfully on my Dell 9300 after several attempts. Here are problems I encountered (before seeing this thread).

1. Installation only worked when only the SSE2 and MBR was selected and nothing else (I'm using MBR).

2. The installation froze several times, until I jiggled the mouse over and over like the original post said.

After this, OS X booted without problems. I got full graphics working by downloading NVInject 0.2.1 from

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

Just for reference here are the installation steps I used:

1) Copy NVinject.kext or NVinjectGo.kext in folder /System/Library/Extensions/

2) Remove any natit.kext, titan.kext or nvidiaefi.kext from Extensions folder (not necessary for clean install).

3) Update permissions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

4) Edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/

cp Info.plist Info.plist.orig (backup the original file)

sudo chmod a+w Info.plist (make it writable)

Added the string " 0x00c810de&0xff0ffff" to the end of the section indicated in the first post.

sudo chmod 644 Info.plist (restore permissions)

5) Reboot system and QE/CI graphics work

Dell Inspirion 9300

GeForce 6800 Go

I always get this kind of trouble....

daniel-ivan-colchado-rodriguezs-mac-pro:~ xdb$ cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/

daniel-ivan-colchado-rodriguezs-mac-pro:Contents xdb$ cp Info.plist Info.plist.orig

cp: Info.plist.orig: Permission denied

daniel-ivan-colchado-rodriguezs-mac-pro:Contents xdb$

AND SINCE 2 WEEKS AGO CAN'T GET MY VIDEO WORKS FINE :hysterical:

You'll need root privileges to do that.

add sudo in front of the lines.

i.e.:

sudo cp Info.plist Info.plist.orig

It'll now ask for your password. Enter it, and move on.

I also ran through the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 successfully on my Dell 9300 after several attempts. Here are problems I encountered (before seeing this thread).

1. Installation only worked when only the SSE2 and MBR was selected and nothing else (I'm using MBR).

2. The installation froze several times, until I jiggled the mouse over and over like the original post said.

After this, OS X booted without problems. I got full graphics working by downloading NVInject 0.2.1 from

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

Just for reference here are the installation steps I used:

1) Copy NVinject.kext or NVinjectGo.kext in folder /System/Library/Extensions/

2) Remove any natit.kext, titan.kext or nvidiaefi.kext from Extensions folder (not necessary for clean install).

3) Update permissions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

4) Edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

cp Info.plist Info.plist.orig (backup the original file)

sudo chmod a+w Info.plist (make it writable)

Added the string " 0x00c810de&0xff0ffff" to the end of the section indicated in the first post.

sudo chmod 644 Info.plist (restore permissions)

5) Reboot system and QE/CI graphics work

Dell Inspirion 9300

GeForce 6800 Go

I followed the same procedure but used the following string

0x00c810de&0xfff0ffff

while editing Info.plist.

After restart while the system was booting, the system hanged.

I reboot in safe mode (boot with -x flag, which clears the driver cache, at least I think so) and after that I got CI/QE fully working go6800!

Hope it helps others.

Thank you all who commited!

Hello this is the first time i installed leopard, i´m stuck on this steep:

i´ve edited Info.plist file with the instructions on the first post, after reboot i get a error message "please reboot your computer" i suppose i´ve to reinstall again and then what other file should i´ve to edit?

I.E the tutorials tell to edit 2 files but he write the same file two times!!

thanks

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that is currently running Windows XP Professional SP2. After reading many posts on here, I've decided to remove the current WinXP drive (40GB, 5400rpm) and replace with a brand new ATA-6 drive to place the Kaly installation.

Any recommendations for good fast drive to use as my Hackintosh/KALY drive. Keep in mind that my 9300 does not support SATA, but ATA-6. My thoughts on this are to do a completely vanilla install on a pristine drive and NOT attempt multi-booting for this go around. :)

Are there any good utilities to help me identify all the components that are built into my 9300? So that I can begin researching/developing fixes for the items (onboard wireless card, etc.)?

I currently am running 1GB of RAM on the laptop would that be sufficient to even attempt the OSx86 installation? I believe 1GB is the most I can run on my 9300... :smoke: Again, finding a utility to help me not only identify but to know the limits of my machine would be useful.

Okay so here's the scoop thus far.

My hardware is as follows:

Dell 9300

• Processor: Pentium M, 2.13Ghz, id:06D8, processor cache-2048kb
  • Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, Dual Channel (2X512mb)
  • Video: GeForce 6800, 256mb
  • Audio: Sigmatel 9750
  • Modem: Conexant D110 MDC
  • Mini PCI Device: Intel Wireless
  • HDD: WD 120GB 5400rpm (NOT SATA)

These items were disclosed when I went to the BIOS setup.

Okay, so I put in a new drive into the 9300, and booted to DVD where I had the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk. After about 45 minutes, the installation did complete. I noticed that the screens with the pulsing blue bars do not continually refresh - thus the status as you see it could be "stale"... moving the mouse keeps the screen refreshed.

After the 10.5.1 installed, it rebooted successfully and I went through the Welcome fanfare and added the requested information.

First off, I noticed that the Intel Wireless device is not recognized. Bummer. Any information on how to get the wireless device working? Rather than figuring this one out, I ended up applying the 10.5.2 Kalyway Combo update - successful install (with a forced reboot, no permissions repaired), with same hardware limitations.

Then I went to modify the kernel to the new distro kernel that Kalyway developed. I tried the modbin kernel only the first time and rebooted. The laptop was stuck in an infinite loop. Basically it would go to the white with gray apple for about 30 seconds and then reboot. I waited for about 6 reboots to realize that this was not gonna work. The second time around after redoing the 10.5.1 install + 10.5.2 combo, I attempted to install the vanilla kernel. Same problem.

I am going to try for a third time, this time selecting both kernel options to see what the yields. Am I missing any permission fixes that I need to apply prior to the reboot when I apply the the new kernel?

I will keep you posted on how things proceed.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while since anyone has posted in this thread, but I will ask anyways. I have reinstalled kalyway 10.5.1 well over 10 times cause each time i get stuck on the graphics driver. I have an XPS gen 2 with an 6800 ultra. In this thread people talk about the 6800, does this mean the ultra? I found that the ultra has a different device ID. One more thing, peope are talking about the NVinject.kext. Shouldn't I try the "go" version? It seems like everyone is installing the desktop version.

Hello to all of you guys. Please instruct me step by step how in the earth to make my video card geforce go 6800 ultra (id c9) to work in leopard..using what? i tried manyy many times to use nvinject..titan..natit..everithing leads to the same restart desktop..and remove all the installations of the video.

What version of titan to use (i9300 you said you had 1920x1200 like mine xps gen 2 dell laptop) how to edit all those hal40kext, where exactly to add the card id at the begining of all those numbers or at the end of them???

How can i resolve this. i use 10.5 toh upgraded to 10.5.3

Thank you all "green fruit" lovers.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I SEE NOTHING ABOUT ENABLING SPEED STEP.

NO SPEED STEP MEAN MAX VOLTAGE MAX HEAT SHORTER CPU LIFE. YOU NEED TO HAVE SPEED STEP FOR THIS TO BE VIABLE UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK FRYING YOUR PROCESSOR BY RUNNING IT HOT CONTINUOUSLY.

Some info on Kaly 10.5 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 (aka i9300).

See http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=700 for info on this dvd.

Thanks Kaly and Dune31 for their hard work! :blink:

My System:

Dell Inspiron 9300: #This post is really only for issues regarding the i9300/XPS Gen2

2 Ghz Pentium-M Processor, 2MB Cache, 533MHz FSB (THIS IS SSE2 ONLY!)

Nvidia Geforce 6800 Go 256MB WUXGA TrueLife(1920 x 1200)

1.2 GB RAM

80 GB Hard Drive

DVDRW Optical Drive

Dell True Mobile 1350: This one works with no additional steps I have this one installed

Other Wireless Cards:

Dell True Mobile 1450: No info yet

Intel PRO 2200 B/G: Here is the posting for the Drivers I have not tried this yet! *Thanks jalavoui

At this writing There is enough HW working to call it a successful install. I will keep this first post updated with as more info becomes functional.

Tested Working:

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Go @ 1920x1200 with QE! Using this driver

Keyboard and Trackpad

Media Buttons on front!

Wireless via Dell 1350

USB Ports (External Mouse)

Sound

DVDRW _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6500A Test Burn with hdiutil

Tested not working:

SD CardReader

I'm still searching for a possible extension that will work.

WIP: (Work in progress)

Should Work (not tested):

Have not tested:

FireWire (I do not have any FireWire devices)

PCMCIA Slot

Netgear Gige PCMCIA

Broadcom 10/100 NIC

Audio in/out

Modem (Whats this for??!?!) UMMM I have not used a modem in years

Disclaimer

**** Some tasks are not for beginners. Anything to do with ghost, vmware guests should be done by someone experienced with those products. I chose ghost so I can reformat the WHOLE drive as needed without worrying about my Windows side. If you do not know what to do with ghost, this post is NOT meant as tutorial for ghost or vmware fusion. I am only describing what steps I took!**** :blink: Also -- I wrote all this from memory, it is possible that some steps are not entirely accurate. If you find something that needs changing, let me know and I will edit.

The pre-install:

* Backup my XP partition with ghost32.exe. Ghost is a program that will copy the contents of a whole partition into one file. You can then restore the partition after the OSX install.

0. Manually backup any REALLY important data

1. Remove HD for laptop and install into usb external case.

2. Fire up Window Guest OS (using Vmware fusion) on my Mac Mini.

3. Use ghost32 to copy my fat32 partition into file on the mac mini

4. Remove and reinstall HD into i9300

5. As of now, I have not had to make any changes to my bios settings

Kaly OS DVD

1. Read at least the first 10 pages of this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=700

Most possible problems have been addressed in the first few pages. You will learn where to get the DVD.

2. Use the torrent to get the iso in zip format.

3. I downloaded the zip to the mini. Once downloaded open terminal to check checksum.

$ md5 -q (name of zip file)

It should match what Kaly has on first page.

4. Unzip (use winrar if unzipping on windows). I used Apple Archive Utility (/System/Library/CoreServices/Archive Utility)

5. Check the checksum of the iso file

$ md5 -q (name of iso file)

5. Burn the iso. In OSX you can burn easily from the command line.

$ hdiutil burn (name of iso file)

-Want it to burn faster?

$ hdiutil burn -noverifyburn (name of iso file)

-- It simply does not verify the condition of the burn BUT don't complain if the disk has ISSUES.

Kally DVD Install:

1. Shove the disk in and boot off it. My i9300 did not have any issues booting off the DVD. I can't speak for other SSE2 computers.

2. As soon as you can, click on Utilities/Disk Utility

I let the installer repartition my whole disk, since I will restore Windows later.

3. Select the partition scheme you want, for me it was two partitions. Then look at the "options" button below your two partitions. Select either MBR or GUID options. I used MBR because I have no knowledge of GUID.

4. I canged the sizes of the partitions to 50gb HFS+ Journeled and 23GB for FAT. The Windows partition needs to be larger than the data saved in preinstall step #3.

5. After applying the changes -- Go back to installer

6. After selecting the install disk hit continue then "customize"!!!! This is important!

7. In the customize screen

7a. Deselect both the vanilla kernels. This is for SSE3 systems only. The i9300 is SSE2 only.

7b. Select SSE2 option

7c. As tempting as it is, do not select the NVinjectGo extensions. After all the reboots AFTER I installed this extension, the laptop would lockup.

7d. IMPORTANT!! Expand the bootloader section. Choose the option that matches step #3. If you formatted for MBR then select MBR. If you choose GUID, then select GUID. IMPORTANT!! If these items do not match -- You will have the dredded blinking cursor when you reboot and you will have to sit through the install again.

8. The only two items should be SSE2 and MBR OR GUID.

So

SSE2 + MBR

OR

SSE2 + GUID

I don not know if both matter, I can only say I selected one.

9. Let it rip. I did not time the last install but I think around 30 mins.

10. IMPORTANT!! Jiggle the mouse! Not sure what the time period is but I seemed to freeze up on the install if I just left it alone. So abut every 5-10 mins I would move the mouse around and click a few times. If it freezes up, you will not see the mouse on the screen and caps lock button will not work. If that happens, power cycle the laptop and start over -- This time jiggle the mouse around.

11. After install is complete, take the install disk out and boot into Kaly's OSX.

Additional Steps/Drivers:

I will update this with steps needed to make additional HW work.

1. Video Driver install -- I used this thread as reference. This is only for 6800go on i9300. Thanks Dense for your posts!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...80&p=270458

1.a Download Titan.kext

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan

as root, copy it into /System/Library/Extensions

ensure owner:group is and permissions are 755 or just copythis line,

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext;chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

<string>0x004010de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

To Read:

<string>0x00c810de</string>

1.c Reboot and you should have 1920x1200.

2. Here is my /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

Insidious:SystemConfiguration root# more com.apple.Boot.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-legacy</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>
com.apple.Boot.plist (END)

3. Windows Key.

3a. /System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard/Modifier Keys

Change Option Key to Command Key

Restore Windows Partition:

1. Pull the disk back out and install into usb. Plug into mac mini.

2. In Windows Guest OS from the mac mini, use ghost32 to restore the windows partition. Make sure that you select the correct drive and the correct partition. You can mess up a lot of work if you are not careful

3. Reinstall the drive and test boot Windows

As I said in the beginning, I will update items as I get them working.

Have fun

-Chris