Sigmatel 9205 with iATKOS (Leopard)

bari86

341 posts in this topic

I've got iATKOS up and running on my Dell 1525 laptop. Works great except the sound. It has the Sigmatel 9205 in it. I've tried everything mentioned here but no luck. When I use AppleHDApatcher it deletes AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. When that kext is deleted I have no audio hardware showing up at all in system preferences. When I put it back, hardware shows back up but I still have no sound.

Hi guys, New to the forums have only had OS X installed for a few hours today.

The steps in this thread have gotten my sounds up and running, which was 1 of 4 issues that I had.

issues resolved:

8600M GT installed and working fine (10.5.2 kexts)

Failing to boot (only showing a curser) fixed by not having any spaces in the partition name... strange but it fixed it.

Sound (resolved thanks to this thread)

My sound is fully functional, both jacks, and inbuilt speakers work, and swap fine. Mute button is functional for muting but to unmute i have to use one of the up or down volume buttons.

only 1 more issue to fix and thats my Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 network card and I have a fully functioning Mac.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1520

Dual Core 2.2 Ghz

2GB Ram

8600M GT (256MB)

Sigmatel 9205 on board sound

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 network (none functional wireless, wired is fine)

Just wanted to say thanks to all the great people on this board who have helped me so far (though this is my first post i have been reading through this forum extensively today, and there is alot of great information)

The steps in this thread have gotten my sounds up and running, which was 1 of 4 issues that I had.

issues resolved:

Failing to boot (only showing a curser) fixed by not having any spaces in the partition name... strange but it fixed it.

My sound is fully functional, both jacks, and inbuilt speakers work, and swap fine. Mute button is functional for muting but to unmute i have to use one of the up or down volume buttons.

only 1 more issue to fix and thats my Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 network card and I have a fully functioning Mac.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1520

Dual Core 2.2 Ghz

2GB Ram

8600M GT (256MB)

Just wanted to say thanks to all the great people on this board who have helped me so far (though this is my first post i have been reading through this forum extensively today, and there is alot of great information)

If i was you i'd go on ebay get yourself one of those truemobile 1390 think it is you may wanna check anyway bought myn installed under back two screws, clipped in, booted and full airport on my 1520 for £20 money well spent in my opinion. Note it maybe cheaper for you if ure in the US i ad to ship to UK.

Hey Guys

For you who have problems with wireless just do what I

did I got a Dell Wireless 1500 that works 100% with my system.

Thanks Guys

Reece Peart

issues resolved:

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1520

Dual Core 2.2 Ghz

2GB Ram

8600M GT (256MB)

I've got iATKOS up and running on my Dell 1525 laptop. Works great except the sound. It has the Sigmatel 9205 in it. I've tried everything mentioned here but no luck. When I use AppleHDApatcher it deletes AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. When that kext is deleted I have no audio hardware showing up at all in system preferences. When I put it back, hardware shows back up but I still have no sound.

To my knowledge, the Dell 1525 does not have a Sigmatel 9205 in it. While the BIOS reports it being a Sigmatel 9205, it is (or least mine is) a Sigmatel 9228. You can check this out by reading the 1525 owner's manual (pg 165) or doing a codec dump. It is also important to note that not only does the Inspiron 1525 contain the Sigmatel audio codec, but also a codec for the HDMI output.

To my knowledge, the Dell 1525 does not have a Sigmatel 9205 in it. While the BIOS reports it being a Sigmatel 9205, it is (or least mine is) a Sigmatel 9228. You can check this out by reading the 1525 owner's manual (pg 165) or doing a codec dump. It is also important to note that not only does the Inspiron 1525 contain the Sigmatel audio codec, but also a codec for the HDMI output.

Thanks for that info. Any ideas how I can get my audio up and working? Are you running iATKOS on your 1525?

Thanks for that info. Any ideas how I can get my audio up and working? Are you running iATKOS on your 1525?

Create a codec dump of codec#1 (there are three codecs, 0,1,2 of /proc/asound/card0) 0 is nothing of importance. 1 is Sigmatel, 2 is the HDMI. Get an old version of HDApatcher (I think its 16 or something) and use the codec. Should work, if not let me know. I had iATKOS on a Inspiron 1525, had everything working but the SD card reader (WHICH probably could work).

OK. I've got it up and working. You must use AppleHDApatcher v1.16. v1.20 will not work. I made a Ubuntu live CD and booted into it. Followed instructions on how to make a codec dump. I had to do some trial and error to get the right codec#. Instructions say use codec#0 but that didn't give me info on the 9228 which is in this laptop. It was info on the HDMI portion of the sound I believe. I used either codec#1 or codec#2. Anyways, once I had the codec dump and used AppleHDApatcher v1.16 instead of 1.20 all worked great. Only the first headphone jack works but it switches automatically from headphones to internal speakers and the internal speakers do turn off when headphones are plugged in. Mute button on laptop does not work however.

OK. I've got it up and working. You must use AppleHDApatcher v1.16. v1.20 will not work. I made a Ubuntu live CD and booted into it. Followed instructions on how to make a codec dump. I had to do some trial and error to get the right codec#. Instructions say use codec#0 but that didn't give me info on the 9228 which is in this laptop. It was info on the HDMI portion of the sound I believe. I used either codec#1 or codec#2. Anyways, once I had the codec dump and used AppleHDApatcher v1.16 instead of 1.20 all worked great. Only the first headphone jack works but it switches automatically from headphones to internal speakers and the internal speakers do turn off when headphones are plugged in. Mute button on laptop does not work however.

Glad you got it working. If you have a HDMI cable, it would be interesting to see if OS X can use it (I doubt it). I would try it, but I don't have any HDMI cables.

For people confused about the installation of the kexts on this forum, here is a little walkthrough of the steps needed to install these.

1. First get taruga's hda patcher version 1.20 (found http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...32859&st=0)
  2. Next download the codec dump attached here
  3. Now patch your system with the apple hda patcher and the codec dump by dragging the codec dump text file on top of the application icon
  4. Afterwards, reboot your system
  5. Then, go to your extensions folder (/System/Library/Extensions) and delete the applehda.kext currently there, and drag the new appehda.kext you want to install into the folder
  6. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /", press enter, enter your root password, and press enter
  7. Now reboot, and you are finished with the installation! (hopefully at this point your sound works)

NOTE: This only applies to the Sigmatel 9205

NOTE2: The applehda.kext attached is for the Latitude D630, or any other system on which the first applehda.kext posted by paulo (post 43) worked, and none of the later kexts worked. The first kext only worked with the internal speakers, while this kext has support for headphones, line-in, and automatic switching between speakers and headphones. It is a modification made to one of paulo's kexts.

codec_dump1.txt

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I have had a couple of people ask me how I got everything working, Im working on replicating the steps perfectly from fresh installs so I can describe exact steps.

The one step that is perfectly fine each time is my video cards, search for 10-1.5.2NVIinstall256.pkg I found this on google and it works perfectly fine each time. I found it by searching for nvidia 10.5.2 kexts.

Once I have exact steps for the sound card I will post them, I only got to work on this an hour or so every couple of nights.

Oh and thanks for the people messaging me with suggestions for my wireless problem, much appreciated.

i have dell inspiron 1520 plz give me exact steps to get sound working and also provide links for

necessary files like codec , hda patcher version and apple hda kext.

sigmatel 9205 ids 8384 76A0

please provide detailed steps to be implemented after fresh iatkos installation.

thanks in advance

For people confused about the installation of the kexts on this forum, here is a little walkthrough of the steps needed to install these.
  1. First get taruga's hda patcher version 1.20 (found http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...32859&st=0)
  2. Next download the codec dump attached here
  3. Now patch your system with the apple hda patcher and the codec dump by dragging the codec dump text file on top of the application icon
  4. Afterwards, reboot your system
  5. Then, go to your extensions folder (/System/Library/Extensions) and delete the applehda.kext currently there, and drag the new appehda.kext you want to install into the folder
  6. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /", press enter, enter your root password, and press enter
  7. Now reboot, and you are finished with the installation! (hopefully at this point your sound works)

NOTE: This only applies to the Sigmatel 9205

NOTE2: The applehda.kext attached is for the Latitude D630, or any other system on which the first applehda.kext posted by paulo (post 43) worked, and none of the later kexts worked. The first kext only worked with the internal speakers, while this kext has support for headphones, line-in, and automatic switching between speakers and headphones. It is a modification made to one of paulo's kexts.

hi i used above method in dell inspiron 1520, my sound is working now. but i am unable to shut down now. i have to manually power off laptop. is there some solution

hi i used above method in dell inspiron 1520, my sound is working now. but i am unable to shut down now. i have to manually power off laptop. is there some solution

This is a problem many people are encountering after using any version of the applehda patcher with leopard, hopefully this will be fixed in patcher 2.0. Until then though, there is nothing you can do to fix this.

Ok i try to sum up :

- What did Hellober should work with all Dell Computers (Latitude, Inspiron, Vostro)

- After you get that file working, try this one (post 66) : AppleHDA.kext

It should add support for headphones and jack input

- If it works, try this one (post 83) : AppleHDA.kext

It should add support for automatic switch between Headphones and Speakers

At this step, Mute and Mic In don't work.

- The next file (post 110) : AppleHDA.kext seems to only work on my D830 (it should add Mute and Mic In) :censored2:

If you have post 83 file working, you can try these files:

- File 1 : based on post 83 : should work for all who have post 83 working. It doesn't add any feature.

- File 2 : should add Mic Input compared to post 83

- File 3 : should add Mute compared to posrt 83 (it s normal if there is not Mic In)

Please tell me what files don't work with you. Thanks. ;)

Edit : better with files ... :D

kext #3 works fine with my Dell 1520, except internal Mic, any schedule for the next version bro ? :P

and, tks a lot !

I found a solution to this restart/shutdown problem, which should work on all Vostro 1500/Inspiron 1520 (and possibly all other Dells) with a Sigmatel 9205.

It goes like so;

1. Reinstall Leopard

(Lame, I know. I suppose you could restore all the files that Taruga's patcher changes)

2. Use Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher version 1.18 and not any other version.

AppleHDAPatcherv1.18.zip

3. Drag this codec dump onto the patcher and let it have it's way with it.

Stac9205.txt

4. Replace /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with this one.

(Ignore any error messages stating it is unusable or corrupt, the next step fixes this)

AppleHDA.kext.zip

5. Fix permissions. Type "diskutil repairPermissions /" without the quotes, in a terminal window, as root.

Reboot and you're good.

Summary of what should be working, based on my own success:

Audio works, obviously B)

Headphones work, as does switching between speakers/headphones.

Line/Mic-in works

Mute works

Multimedia buttons work

RESTART & SHUTDOWN WORK! :rolleyes:

The only thing missing here seems to be the internal mic :D

To my best of knowledge, this is the latest kext here, which is based on the one from paulo-131. I'm sure some of you will be able to put more light on this.

Maybe one of you wicked kexters could have a look at this internal mic issue but most importantly I would like to express my sincere thanks for actually getting so far. Well done people!

Edit: Perhaps worth mentioning that I am using Kalyway on my Vostro 1500, which has bluetooth working out of the box.

I found a solution to this restart/shutdown problem, which should work on all Vostro 1500/Inspiron 1520 (and possibly all other Dells) with a Sigmatel 9205.

RESTART & SHUTDOWN WORK! ;)

Just curious is your graphics card recognized and working with acceleration? Restart and shut down stopped working for me after using the 10.5.2 kext and had nothing to do with getting sound to work.

Just curious is your graphics card recognized and working with acceleration? Restart and shut down stopped working for me after using the 10.5.2 kext and had nothing to do with getting sound to work.

No, my GPU is an nvidia 8600M GT so it needs those 10.5.2 kexts too.

I have not yet come round to setting up graphics as my focus this time round was fixing sound without breaking restarts and shutdowns.

One time the automatic installer for 10.5.2 kextx did in fact break restarts for me too but mind you I found a way to overcome that too with a little fiddling. In fact my previous installation had graphics working with full resolution and hardware acceleration while restarts and shutdowns still worked. Then I wanted to watch the last episode of Prison Break, got impatient and screwed up the restarts in favour of sound ;)

I'll post the instructions for getting Dell's nvidia GPUs to work too as soon as I find some time.

One time the automatic installer for 10.5.2 kextx did in fact break restarts for me too but mind you I found a way to overcome that too with a little fiddling

please post the guide for this as many ppl also encounter this problem

tks ;)