[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

Ok, sigh. I've been using the Bad Axe 2 for about a year now, since Leopard, GUID etc things have gone down hill, especially with efi etc. I get kernel panics, and a whole slew of the normal suid errors, laggy performance and all around annoyances that have left me wondering if I should have opted for a gigabyte board.

Anyways, before I decide to abandon the badaxe2, has anyone been using Chameleon or the boot132?

Weaksauce12 and Team Scream both seem to have gone on to other boards despite continually offering their much appreciated support.

However, I feel reluctant to purchase a new board until the p45 and ich10 have gone through some more testing.

So, where are we with the Bad Axe 2 now? Are all the boot head aches still prevalent with Chameleon?

I guess I should probably just figure out boot132, make a stable iso post it, use chameleon, efi strings etc and update one these tutorial posts. I'm just reluctant because I'm still thinking of giving up on this, any thoughts?

The problem with my installation method is the screwy boot code. Despite having rewritten the entire guide and prepped it for release, it didn't work because the boot code didn't work right. This isn't the only board to have strange boot code issues, but as far as I know a solution hasn't been found. I worked on it for months; it was extremely frustration, especially with all of the time I had put into the original guide and the guide updates. It was a good run while it lasted, but there is more compatible equipment available now. In fact, I am currently writing a Vanilla update for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board - 100% working with EFI v8, GUID, 10.5.4, you name it! All for around $85 (new!). The BA2 is still a viable solution and is very stable, but if you want to enjoy some of the newer features you'll need to upgrade the board to something different. However, I would definitely encourage you to pursue Boot-132 and Chameleon and everything and see if it works for you (hey, if it does - post a tutorial for the rest of us! haha).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mikemad,

Now that you’ve got a BA2 board running Leopard 10.5.4, would you consider writing a step-by-step guide?

Or, is Team Scream’s guide good enough?

I’m going to start my Hackintosh project at the end of next week.

Cheers!

Does it require that you keep the DVD disc in the drive every time you boot?

For now it requires a boot-cd, but I will create a boot-USB-stick for that. I have also tried to install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk without effects. But I'm tryin...and will report if sucess...

UPDATE:

I have installed Chameleon EFI and now it boots WITHOUT cd. great!

Now I have 10.5.4 only with 'NVinject'-kext for my geforce6600.

Hey Mikemad,

Now that you’ve got a BA2 board running Leopard 10.5.4, would you consider writing a step-by-step guide?

Or, is Team Scream’s guide good enough?

I’m going to start my Hackintosh project at the end of next week.

Cheers!

Team Scream's Guide is great, but I have used other's. I will write a short guide for BA2 next day's.

Here is my little guide:

create your own Boot-DVD with this guide: click

I have used the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY-ISO (google it).

So this will boot on BA2 and u can install leo. do it.

create a boot-cd with the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY-ISO to boot your leo after install.

after boot, make all updates and it will reboot. also use your boot-cd.

use 'OSx86 Tools Utility' (google) to install EFI (button 'Install EFI/Run FDISK') so after reboot u don't need your boot-cd again.

install your needed KEXT for graphics, sound,... with OSx86 Tools Utility. Also enable QuartzGL there.

Thats it. My system is nearly perfect, only QE will not work at the moment...

That's pretty great news...do your other 4 SATA ports work for a total of 8, or still only the main 4?

Also, throw in some EFI Strings with that install! EFI Studio should do the trick :P

Here is my little guide:

create your own Boot-DVD with this guide: click

I have used the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY-ISO (google it).

So this will boot on BA2 and u can install leo. do it.

create a boot-cd with the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY-ISO to boot your leo after install.

after boot, make all updates and it will reboot. also use your boot-cd.

use 'OSx86 Tools Utility' (google) to install EFI (button 'Install EFI/Run FDISK') so after reboot u don't need your boot-cd again.

install your needed KEXT for graphics, sound,... with OSx86 Tools Utility. Also enable QuartzGL there.

Thats it. My system is nearly perfect, only QE will not work at the moment...

That's pretty great news...do your other 4 SATA ports work for a total of 8, or still only the main 4?

Also, throw in some EFI Strings with that install! EFI Studio should do the trick :)

nop...the black SATA ports are not working. I have connected my sata dvd-drive and cannot see it. but i see the marvell in EFI studio...

the installation of HMBT_Marvell_88SE61XX_installer has also no effect.

I cant get my ethernet port on my BA2 to work how can I get it working?

Mine wont! anyone els know whats up?

What version of IONetworkingFamily.kext do you have? From what build? I could never get the 1.6.0 to work including the 2 BA2 custom kexts. I'm currently using 1.5.1 from my working 10.4.9 build.

Now WITH QE/CI!

I have found a solution (for my system, GF6600) to get QE/CI. I have used NVInstaller v52 and bam...it works.

You can get it to display the proper Model Name in System Profiler by following this Mini-Guide: (replaces "Graphics by nVidia" with "nVidia 6600GT" or whatever you want it to say)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=839447

• 4 weeks later...
What version of IONetworkingFamily.kext do you have? From what build? I could never get the 1.6.0 to work including the 2 BA2 custom kexts. I'm currently using 1.5.1 from my working 10.4.9 build.

I have the same version of IONetworkingFamily.kext (1.5.1 from 10.4.9 build) since newer versions won't work :P

BTW, what sound cards are you using in your systems ? Are there any PCI cards working out of the box ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nano07,

I have seen yout System-Info in the Sig. - special: "including Marvell Ports" on Intel D975XBX Bad Axe.

THE (one and only :) ) question is "How have you solved that?"

(I used that Board and can´t get these Ports working).

THX - I´m still can´t sleep bevor I know your answer :(:D:D

wing

Hey guys,

Everything still works, but no TV out.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that my badaxe2, has been reborn again.

This is roughly the specs of the machine: Intel D975XBX2, Q6600, 8800GT, 4gig RAM, 250gig sata hd.

Here's what I did:

1) Put the 250gig hd into an external sata->usb case, and plugged it into my MBP.

2) Partitioned it to 1 Partition (GPT) with disk utility.

3) Rebooted MBP with Leopard DVD and installed Leopard to the external hard drive.

4) Applied all updates (10.5.5) with Software Update using the MBP (you know that's going to work, lol).

5) Applied "munky's" method in post #1 to the EFI partition.

6) Added kexts from BUMBY + IONetworkingfamily (devid added) + NVKush + Patched AppleHDA (taruga).

7) Built kext cache on EFI partition of the added kexts, using munky's script.

8) Moved the hard drive to the Badaxe2 machine, and rebooted.

Bingo, booted, works.

Munky's guide is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

Issues still to resolve, 1) No QE/CI on the 8800GT and 2) No sound.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me out here. I had everything running for a while now just fine with 10.5.2. My wife mistakenly clicked 'ok' to install updates. Now OSX says to reboot with the grayed out screen when it boots up. I imagine it tried to install the latest 10.5.x update. Any ideas? Maybe boot with the leopard disc so I can copy the kexts over?

Thanks!

Hi Nano07,

I have seen yout System-Info in the Sig. - special: "including Marvell Ports" on Intel D975XBX Bad Axe.

THE (one and only :) ) question is "How have you solved that?"

(I used that Board and can´t get these Ports working).

THX - I´m still can´t sleep bevor I know your answer :D:D:D

wing

Hi wingwing,

It's been a while (a long while) since I haven't touched the config of my hackintosh, mainly because it's my production machine, and unfortunately, the marvel controller is not working properly.

I played with it for a while and, I guess I got overexcited at some stage when the system was able to see and recognise a CDROM drive attached to it. I got it to work only once (meaning that it was able to see the CDROM), but later on I discovered that it didnt read any info.

As I'm using the machine everyday to do video editing and Graphic stuff, I stopped playing with it, and never touched the config again. It's been working great, ROCK SOLID since that time! (I'm still in 10.5.2!!!)

I always think that at one stage I'll put the machine up to date with updates and focus on a solution for the #$!@#%& Marvel Controller, but I never do it.

At this stage for me I think it's not worth it to keep trying. Maybe in the future I update my main board to a Gigabyte (I've read that some models work 100%), or even..... who knows a *REAL* Mac Pro.

My experience is that what started as a just a test following guides from weaksauce, made me in the end turn to OS X and leave Windows almost completely!!!! (I'm only using utorrent now with vmware - which by the way has just released a beta version for OS X, so very soon it will be bye-bye VMWARE as well).

I'm sorry that I could not be more helpful but at this stage I stopped messing around with Hardware config and started *enjoying* my hackintosh. I LOVE IT!!!!! OS X is great!!!