[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

IBUYUFO asked:

Someone here mentioned that their Apple slim aluminum keyboard works when trying to get into the bios. Which bios are you using in order for this keyboard to work during the post process?

i will try these today for you, my son has a new alu-usb-keyboard. I tell ya later...

lindmar asked:

Sorry if this has been asked.

Can I install VMWare on my Hackintosh and then a copy of Windows XP?

i could not tell for vmware, but my license of parallels works great with this machine!

Cool. Going to install VMWare Today.

I got some artic cooling paste and a scythe ninja.

I just about chopped up my hands trying to install the ninja so I gave up and went back to the stock coolers.

My temps are running as followed...

CPU 1 - 46-50 degrees

CPU 2 - 40

CPU 3 - 36

CPU 4 - 37

HD 1 Main - 500GB - 28

HD 2 Secondary - 500GB - 28

HD 3 - 120 GB IDE - 28

Not sure if these temps are normal or what...

Weaksauce, you can amend the guide r.e. sound - the optical out definitely works. I'm using it as my primary out right now. I only have 2.1 speakers so I can't test 5.1 sound just now via the optical out, but I would suppose it'll work. Using optical out -> Sony receiver optical in.

I also hooked a second monitor up to the 8800GTs and it works like a champ. Currently running a 24" dell at 1900x1200 and a second older westinghouse monitor at 1440x900. It worked right out of the box, no tweaking required, other than going into System Preferences and letting it know how I had them set up (left vs right, etc.).

As for VMware, it works just fine, as Weaksauce reported. I have it running Foobar on the extra monitor 24x7.

My internal Card Reader works just fine. It reads a variety of cards and also has a USB port on the front, and it fits in a 3.5" drive bay. Newegg says it's a 52-in-1 card reader but the box says 65-in-1. It is USB 2.0 high-speed and runs off bus power. You just screw it into a 3.5" drive bay on your case and then plug it into the motherboard's USB pin headers next to the SATA ports. It costs $18 shipped from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820300608

Here is a list of supported cards:

CompactFlash Type I (CF-I)

CompactFlash Type II (CF-II)

Extreme CompactFlash

Extreme III CompactFlash

Ultra II CompactFlash

High Speed CompactFlash

XS- Xtreme Speed CompactFlash

CompactFlash Elite Pro

IBM MicroDrive

Hitachi MicroDrive

MagicStor

C-Flash

SmartMedia Card (SMC)

TransFlash (requires adapter)

Memory Stick (MS)

Memory Stick PRO (MS-PRO)

Memory Stick Duo (MS-DUO)

Memory Stick PRO Duo (MS-PRO DUO)

High Speed Memory Stick PRO

High Speed Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick MagicGate

Memory Stick MagicGate PRO

Memory Stick MagicGate Duo

Memory Stick MagicGate PRO Duo

High Speed Memory Stick MagicGate PRO

xD Card

High Speed Memory Stick MagicGate PRO Duo Memory Stick Rom Memory Stick Select Extreme Memory Stick PRO Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Ultra II Memory Stick PRO Secure Digital (SD) MiniSD (requires adapter) Extreme Secure Digital Extreme III Secure Digital Ultra II Secure Digital Secure Digital Elite Pro MultiMediaCard (MMC) High Speed MultiMediaCard MultiMediaCard 4.0 DV Reduced Size MultiMediaCard High Speed Reduced Size MultiMediaCard Reduced Size MultiMediaCard 4.0

Weaksauce, you can amend the guide r.e. sound - the optical out definitely works. I'm using it as my primary out right now. I only have 2.1 speakers so I can't test 5.1 sound just now via the optical out, but I would suppose it'll work. Using optical out -> Sony receiver optical in.I also hooked a second monitor up to the 8800GTs and it works like a champ. Currently running a 24" dell at 1900x1200 and a second older westinghouse monitor at 1440x900. It worked right out of the box, no tweaking required, other than going into System Preferences and letting it know how I had them set up (left vs right, etc.).As for VMware, it works just fine, as Weaksauce reported. I have it running Foobar on the extra monitor 24x7.

What software are you using to get the GT working?

Also, do you have any idea how to test 5.1 output? Is there a button to switch in software, or do I just pop in a 5.1 DVD and fire it up? I can lug my computer to my 5.1 receiver and test it out there. Does Mute work over Optical?

Hi, Weaksause12,

Thank you for your guide. I have a few questions.

1. Does your About this mac show the correct CPU?

2. Does you sleep/wake work fine? I have XFX 7600GT, and when computer wakes up the screen gets all garbled. Have to reboot.

3. Does you network preference show connected with green light? Mine shows "cable unplugged".

Let me know if you have advice in getting these things resolved.

Weaksauce are you still running Overclocked?

At the moment no, since I am testing various SATA and other patches trying to get things working right.

Are your temps overclocked? My core temps are 31-28-27-32 stock and my WD 500 is 39C. This is in a cool basement with the side panel off since I am testing lots of parts today, and with the Scythe Infinity 120mm HSF.

Hi, Weaksause12,Thank you for your guide. I have a few questions.1. Does your About this mac show the correct CPU?2. Does you sleep/wake work fine? I have XFX 7600GT, and when computer wakes up the screen gets all garbled. Have to reboot.3. Does you network preference show connected with green light? Mine shows "cable unplugged".Let me know if you have advice in getting these things resolved.

It shows the correct speed but not the correct CPU type. I have a patch file plus instructions that I will be releasing in the next revision of the guide.

Sleep/wake works absolutely fine on my 7300GT & 7900GT using NVinject and using macdotnub's experimental installer on my 8800GTS. Works on dual monitors as well.

Yes, my Ethernet shows a green light and says connected. Update your IONetworkingFamily kext with the one attached to this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=541195

This will also be in the next guide revision as it works for both Ethernet and Time Machine on both BA2 boards and BA2-KR edition boards.

At the moment no, since I am testing various SATA and other patches trying to get things working right.

Are your temps overclocked? My core temps are 31-28-27-32 stock and my WD 500 is 39C. This is in a cool basement with the side panel off since I am testing lots of parts today, and with the Scythe Infinity 120mm HSF.

No these aren't overclocked temps.

I can overclock and boot right up at 3GHZ now but the system crashes on restart... then sometimes doesnt want to post.

I bought a secondary arctic fan to mount on the brackets by the HD's but I cant for the life of my figure it out? The screws are all too big that cmae with the fan.

The ones that came with the case dont want to fit the fan?

I'm just clueless when it comes to building computers... like I said, this was my first..my temps are definatley much higher than yours.

No these aren't overclocked temps.

I can overclock and boot right up at 3GHZ now but the system crashes on restart... then sometimes doesnt want to post.

I bought a secondary arctic fan to mount on the brackets by the HD's but I cant for the life of my figure it out? The screws are all too big that cmae with the fan.

The ones that came with the case dont want to fit the fan?

I'm just clueless when it comes to building computers... like I said, this was my first..my temps are definatley much higher than yours.

Hey you've done extremely well for your first build! I wish I could say my first computer was a Quad Core, haha. An Overclocking Guide is in the works, but I've been focusing on polishing up the software installation for the next guide revision. It's not a huge revision, just working out all the bugs and stuff.

The large screws are meant to be threaded by you - you'll have to use some force to get them through. My suggestion is just to get some rubber mounts, it helps kill noise and it's a bit easier to install. They're just rubber plugs that go through the fan mount to the case holes.

Hey you've done extremely well for your first build! I wish I could say my first computer was a Quad Core, haha. An Overclocking Guide is in the works, but I've been focusing on polishing up the software installation for the next guide revision. It's not a huge revision, just working out all the bugs and stuff.

The large screws are meant to be threaded by you - you'll have to use some force to get them through. My suggestion is just to get some rubber mounts, it helps kill noise and it's a bit easier to install. They're just rubber plugs that go through the fan mount to the case holes.

hmm.. I think the fan has the rubber plugs but I'd have to take the backing plate off?

Or am confused...Ill take a picture tomorrow.

What software are you using to get the GT working?

Also, do you have any idea how to test 5.1 output? Is there a button to switch in software, or do I just pop in a 5.1 DVD and fire it up? I can lug my computer to my 5.1 receiver and test it out there. Does Mute work over Optical?

No, not a GT, an 8800 GTS. I used your config as-is, followed it to the "T", so I used the NVinject and macnub's installer.

I tested it tonight. 5.1 seems to work fine; or at least, my receiver recognized it as an AC3 audio stream. I can't play it to prove it, as I only have 2.1 speakers hooked up, but if the receiver sees it as an AC3 stream I see no reason for it to not play in 5.1 if I had the speakers hooked up.

And yes, to test it out just playing anything with a 5.1 audio stream.

Mute does NOT work via the optical out..it is greyed out in System Preferences.

Started installing this morning but I have hit a snag. Everything the Leopard install fails and I get the following error: "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BSD' package."

Did anyone else get this?

I am going to try again but this is the third time now.

Hi Weaksauce12

First of thanks for all your hard work and a great tutorial for us newbies.

A quick question

If I want to dual boot with Vista on a raid 1 array and have osx leopard on another seperate disk is this possible or do I need to get a seperate raid controller?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Intel D975XBX2

Intel Q6600

XFX 7600GT 256mb

Corsair DDR2 PC6400 (2 gb)

2 x 500G SAMSUNG SATA2 HD501LJ

1 x 160G WD SATA2 WG1600AAJS

Samsung 18X dvd writer

Antec P182 Black Case

Corsair 550W PSU

Started installing this morning but I have hit a snag. Everything the Leopard install fails and I get the following error: "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BSD' package."

Did anyone else get this?

I am going to try again but this is the third time now.

Sounds like a bad burn or if you didn't buy Leopard (you should), a bad download...

Patrick

Sounds like a bad burn or if you didn't buy Leopard (you should), a bad download...

Patrick

I did buy leopard. I am going to burn the DVD again but I only have a G4 powerbook to do it on and it takes about 2 hours.

I have read that this might be caused by the ram. I have swapped out the ram with another stick (512mb) I had lying around and now it says 2 hours to install.

So today I went back to my real g4 mdd to get some files for my wife and the thing just wont boot.

Weird..

Thank goodness I built the hackintosh. It tires to boot into leopard then I get the stop sign.

The drive which has the files is a 300GB PATA drive, I tried to plug that drive into the hackintosh and the hackintosh wouldnt even start with that drive plugged in....

LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO BUILD ANOTHER HACKINTOSH!! :-) ;):D

So today I went back to my real g4 mdd to get some files for my wife and the thing just wont boot.

Weird..

Thank goodness I built the hackintosh. It tires to boot into leopard then I get the stop sign.

The drive which has the files is a 300GB PATA drive, I tried to plug that drive into the hackintosh and the hackintosh wouldnt even start with that drive plugged in....

LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO BUILD ANOTHER HACKINTOSH!! :-) :P:)

Well...since it's your second one...obviously you're going to have to mod it into the G4 MDD case :)

I got a USB card working - the StarTech 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card (4 external, 2 internal). It's $16 shipped from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16815158008

It has support for both Windows and OS X so it should also work well as a dual-boot card. It was recognized immediately under OS X. It has 4 ports on the rear plate and 2 regular ports on the inside. Some front-bay drives require a real USB port instead of pins so this would work great in that situation. In my case, I am using a USB Bluetooth adapter and a Logitech VX Revolution mouse that has a small USB RF receiver. Both attach to the internal ports and work great - less stuff sticking out the back of my computer and more ports for my peripherals!

Hi Guys!!!

I just bought all the items, hopefully next week I'll be one more successfull new hackintosh user in the community!

I've been a quiet reader of this forum (specially this thread for a while now) and would like to say a BIG thanks to Weaksauce (and all the others that contribute) for his great guide and dedication to sharing this experience with all of us!!!

This is the list of all the items for my Video Editing Station I found here in Australia.

Antec TITAN650 Server Case - BLACK, TruePower Trio 650W PSU - $260.00

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600/2.40GHz - $353.00

INTEL DESKTOP motherboard D975XBX2KR - $228.00

1Tb - 2x Samsung 500GB HD501LJ HDD - SATA II 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, NoiseGuard - $282.00

8gb RAM - 4x Corsair VS2GB667D2 G 2GB Value Select PC-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 RAM - $240.00

Galaxy GF 8800GTS PCI-E 512MB 256-bit DDR3, 650/1940MHz, HDTV, D - $416.00

LITE-ON DVD+-20X8X8/8X4,DVDRAM12X,CD48X32X48,SATA,RTL - $50.00

BlueScale WiFi Wireless USB Network LAN adapter vista mac linux - $25

24" Dell Monitor - $599

Total AUD$ 2433

Can't wait to join you guys!!!

Cheers

You know I said that today. I have no clue if I would want to attempt that...Would be sweet though..

Here's one for an older G4 case:

http://www.slcentral.com/articles/01/8/g4pc/

Status Update:

-EFI 5.2 is still super-stable

-EFI 8.0 is still in the works, will most likely be in revision 3

-Marvell SATA is still being tested, but has destroyed my OS X install both ways

-Revision 2 will be released with Marvell SATA is working, or proven absolutely, completely non-working (minor guide updates all around)

-No progress on Sound, have given up due to lack of driver writing experience (buy a $5 USB audio stick from eBay or higher-end USB model)

-System Profiler now displays processor name correctly (a mini-howto will be released with the next guide along with the patch file)

-D-Link USB Bluetooth works natively

-Internal Card Reader/1-port USB drive works great (natively) with onboard USB pins [listed earlier in the thread]

-PCI USB card works great (natively) [listed earlier in the thread]

-Will be testing IDE systems this week (IDE DVD, IDE HDD, 8-port IDE RAID PCI card)

-Will be testing $30 2-port SATA/RAID card tonight (both as secondary and bootable, software permitting)

-7300GT & 7900GT work great with Nvidia (pixies on my 24", which go away by resetting the LCD)

-8800GTS works PERFECT using macdotnub's experimental installer

-Selling my 8800GTS to get an 8800GTX to mod into a Quadro 5600 ($2850 card for $450, albiet half the ram - 1.5gb vs. 768mb on GTX)

-Waiting for generic Bluetooth USB adapter to show up from eBay

-Waiting for generic Audio USB adapter to show up from eBay

-Waiting for semi-generic USB Wifi 802.11g adapter to show up from eBay

Once I wrap up Rev 2 of my Guide, I go through this thread and try to help clean up everyone's problems on a case-by-case basis. Once we get those ironed out, I will focus on EFI 8.0 for Rev 3 of my Guide. After I get an EFI 8.0 procedure down pat, I will work on my other guides - cloning/backup, dual-booting, overclocking, etc. Things are progressing really well, it's just a matter of time before everything gets worked out. I'm on a big project at work that is going to be sucking up a lot of my time starting tomorrow, so I'm going to get Rev 2 pumped out before the end of the month and then take a break until I'm finished at work. I'll update bits and pieces as I can - if you have anything to contribute, just let me know!

For now I am describing the Intel Bad Axe 2 board as a 4-port SATA system without Onboard Audio. So you can add up to 4 SATA drives and you will need your own Audio solution if you want speakers, headphones, or a mic. I'm not holding out much hope for the Audio being fixed...I've PM'd Taruga and he's been helping, but my own Linux dump didn't even have Mute, so I'm not holding my breath. Again it's a $5 fix, so go ahead and grab that USB Audio stick off eBay once mine comes in and I test it. I'd really like to get the second set of SATA ports (Marvell) working - 2 or 3 people here have it working (for some odd reason) on their BA2 boards, but it doesn't work on mine no matter what I try. So I'm writing this off for now as well...the BA2 has 4 ports native until we come up with a Marvell SATA patch.

Regardless of the two downsides (no audio and only 4 SATA ports), it's still one of the best bang-for-your-buck Mac Pro replacements on the market. As I listed in an earlier post, you can build an entire 2.4ghz Quad system with 8 gigs of RAM for a mere $800 shipped. Our database of compatible parts (card readers, Bluetooth adapters, USB expansion cards, RAID systems, etc.) is growing steadily and giving us ever-more options for making better Mac Pros than Apple is offering to us.

Good work everyone! :blink: