[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

I''m not doing anything that can screw up my system. But since you said that,

What is the best way to have backup of my system? Is TimeMachine going to cut it if I cant get back into my system?

It's not a huge risk or anything, I just wanted people to be aware that it's experimental.

I hope the Sound Card comes today :)

It's not a huge risk or anything, I just wanted people to be aware that it's experimental.

I hope the Sound Card comes today :censored2:

And CarbonCopyCloner will make a bootable replica of my machine?

Does this mean I could potentially clone the disk.. Build another Quad.. plug in the cloned drive and boot up?

I just tried using an eVGA 7300GT 512mb and can't get it to work - it goes past the white apple bootup screen but then the screen fades to black immediately. I've tried NVinject 0.1.5 and 0.2.1 and neither work.

Has anyone had any luck with this? What good budget cards are confirmed to work on BX2 using this method? I use an 8800GTS 320mb at home but need something for my office machines.

Thanks in advance

I just tried using an eVGA 7300GT 512mb and can't get it to work - it goes past the white apple bootup screen but then the screen fades to black immediately. I've tried NVinject 0.1.5 and 0.2.1 and neither work.

Has anyone had any luck with this? What good budget cards are confirmed to work on BX2 using this method? I use an 8800GTS 320mb at home but need something for my office machines.

Thanks in advance

I know the 7300GT's are working for mostly everyone. Maybe not the 512 version though... maybe weaksauce can let us know about that... I must have got lucky. I didnt have any issues....

Thanks in advance

That's very odd that your 7300GT didn't work. I did some searching and the 512mb models should work great with NVinject.

Try doing a fresh installation using my guide, but don't install NVinject in the Terminal from the USB stick (basically just omit the NVinject command in all of the Terminal lines). It should allow you to boot up to see the home screen at least, since video cards support a basic low resolution even without drivers. Let me know when you get to that point!

Also did you have any other video drivers installed on it before?

That's very odd that your 7300GT didn't work. I did some searching and the 512mb models should work great with NVinject.

Try doing a fresh installation using my guide, but don't install NVinject in the Terminal from the USB stick (basically just omit the NVinject command in all of the Terminal lines). It should allow you to boot up to see the home screen at least, since video cards support a basic low resolution even without drivers. Let me know when you get to that point!

Also did you have any other video drivers installed on it before?

That's actually what I ended up doing - it was a completely fresh install (copied NVinject.kext though, followed your method exactly) that would black screen after the white apple loader. To fix, I booted into terminal using the Leopard DVD and deleted NVinject.kext completely, rebooted and I could get into the OS in low resolution (1024x768).

I then downloaded the latest NVinject 0.2.1 marked for 512mb cards, copied it to the Extensions folder, fixed permissions, rebooted, then got the black screen again. I swapped it out for an old 5600 pci-e card and everything works great, dual monitors and all.

I then tried a 7800GTX 512mb and that didn't work either. So the eVGA 7300GT 512mb and the BFG 7800GTX 512mb are a no-go so far. Any advice greatly appreciated!

hey weaksauce12 any more news on the new hackintoh?

thanks

Building it tonight, I'll let you know how it goes! Been following Macworld all day so I haven't really gotten much done ;)

Got the sound card today, appears to be Line Out only - no volume adjustment, just on/off (mute works). Sound output is VERY strong, I'm surprised for the price. Nice and clean audio. I'll test Mic Input around later.

Building it tonight, I'll let you know how it goes! Been following Macworld all day so I haven't really gotten much done :P

Got the sound card today, appears to be Line Out only - no volume adjustment, just on/off (mute works). Sound output is VERY strong, I'm surprised for the price. Nice and clean audio. I'll test Mic Input around later.

Sound card or the USB Sound Adapater dongle?

Sound card or the USB Sound Adapater dongle?

USB Sound Card, whatever it's called. Line Out is annoying...I can't use my keyboard buttons to adjust the volume. My cheapo Logitech speakers are mounted on the wall, so I have to get up to change the volume, or use the software adjuster on every single player there is (Quicktime, iTunes, Flash, etc.). I don't see an option to change it to adjustable output rather than line output, either. Still for five bucks I can't complain. Sound is very very good.

Sent you a PM...
Thanks for that mate, worked a charm :angel: I finally got my rig setup and running last night. There deffinately was a problem with the discs created on a PPC powerbook. Anyway the install working OK in the end. I got stuck on part 3, I kept getting permision errors. So a little tip for you - I used the disk utility to format the USB key as journalled I then used MacDrive on my PC to copy all the data onto it and I got no more errors. Everything seems to be working fine now. It reboots fine and comes out of sleep with no problems. Updates work fine also. Going to start installing apps today. S

hey weaksauce12, first of all thanks a lot for your hard work. it's totally appreciated. I built my hackintosh following your guidelines and got it to work! It looks solid except one thing and I am wondering if you guys encounter a similar issue at all.

The problem is when I leave computer at work and come back the next day and when I try to wake up the computer sometimes it just doesn't wake up. It's funny because I can use my mouse and see the desktop but the clock stopped at exactly 10:00:00 PM and basically nothing responds to my clicks. IT happened to me 2 times now and I was wondering if you guys encountered such a weird error. any advices?

my system is badaxe2 kr mobo with 8800gts and 4gig of ram with wd raptor 150gig hdd. it works normally except this, I already did a project including photoshop and dvd studio pro and could able to work flawlessly and burn a dvd as well.

excuse my stupidity... but I got my USB audio dongles today.

Same issue as Weaksauce, keyboard controls dont seem to work. Actually you can hear the volume up/down making the noise and the controls move on the computer but just dont seem to actually lower the volume..more... if I go All the way down on the keyboard, it will take turn the volume off and on

But I'm confused... what is the benefit of the dongle versus the on board audio? Is Audio IN supposed to work with this?

excuse my stupidity... but I got my USB audio dongles today.

Same issue as Weaksauce, keyboard controls dont seem to work. Actually you can hear the volume up/down making the noise and the controls move on the computer but just dont seem to actually lower the volume..

But I'm confused... what is the benefit of the dongle versus the on board audio? Is Audio IN supposed to work with this?

Audio Input (Mic) plus Mute. The Onboard Audio doesn't have Mute or Mic input.

Also, the Bluetooth adapter is junk. It doesn't wake from Sleep. Go with the D-Link instead.

Audio Input (Mic) plus Mute. The Onboard Audio doesn't have Mute or Mic input.

Also, the Bluetooth adapter is junk. It doesn't wake from Sleep. Go with the D-Link instead.

Hey Weaksauce,

So we gain Mute and Input. But we lose Keyboard control of regular volume? Its not like we gain better sound output do we? Cause it certainly sounds different through the output but not sure if its better or worse...

Hmm..

I guess then its nice to have and switch when you need input but it sure is nice to control volume from the keyboard...

Hey Weaksauce,

So we gain Mute and Input. But we lose Keyboard control of regular volume?

Hmm..

I guess then its nice to have and switch when you need input but it sure is nice to control volume from the keyboard...

Yes, I agree. Can those of you with other USB audio solutions chime in as to whether or not you can control the Volume from your keyboard? I know there are some Creative and M-Audio users here...

Also my USB PCI card does not appear wake from sleep :(

It also seems that my Apple Bluetooth keyboard cannot bring the computer out of sleep. Bluetooth seems wonky in general; I'm still experimenting...

Yes, I agree. Can those of you with other USB audio solutions chime in as to whether or not you can control the Volume from your keyboard? I know there are some Creative and M-Audio users here...

Also my USB PCI card does not appear wake from sleep :(

It also seems that my Apple Bluetooth keyboard cannot bring the computer out of sleep. Bluetooth seems wonky in general; I'm still experimenting...

I've updated my signature and would like to nominate Weaksauce for Mayor.

<_<

If anyone has any ideas about helping me fix my garbely wake from sleep, I'd be happy. I'd have a perfect system if I solve that issue....

P.S. I found some stickerr in my macbook box and now have "labeled" my hackintosh.

I've updated my signature and would like to nominate Weaksauce for Mayor.

<_<

If anyone has any ideas about helping me fix my garbely wake from sleep, I'd be happy. I'd have a perfect system if I solve that issue....

P.S. I found some stickerr in my macbook box and now have "labeled" my hackintosh.

Haha I think Hackintosh Janitor is more appropriate :P

Hey, now you have an Apple-labeled computer. Cupertino has nothing on you according to their license... :(

Also my USB PCI card does not appear wake from sleep

My Creative X-FI works perfectly! Mute, Volume up, Volume down, via the built-in knob. But i didn't use the knob nearly never, i always use my APPLE Alu-Bluetooth Keyboard to ramp up volume, mute and the like. So, evrything perfect here (at a price, i have to add, roundabout $ 80, link in my signature).

I added another twist to my system the last two days: I banned my hackintosh 5 meters away onto the way cooler floor and drilled a hole in the wall :blink: to get all needed kables through. Perfectly quiet now! And my system runs at least 4°Celsius cooler which is good for overclocking! There was a bit of communication with my wife, but now where everything is brought back to normal she has calm down...

So, i sitting now 5 meters away from my hack (closed door), have 3 usb-2.0 Extender-Kables where i can connect all needed peripherals for the desk and connected the 24" APPLE Cinema-Display (1920 x 1200) DVI with a 5 m Extension-Kable. Works, but sometimes i get a little "green noise" on the screen, so i may end up in buying a spcial-active-extender to get a 100% clear signal to my sweet display (around 200 $, don't tell my beloved...), but it works as is for a few weeks 'til i have the money for the active extension (someone with a cheaper workaround for this...?).

Another one: I added a fast 150 GB WD Raptor as Startup-Disk, moved my user-folder to the fast 1TB RAID-0-Array (together with an additional User-Applications-Folder in the users directory where i install all apps which are not needed in the offizial Applications Folder). To Move your User-Directory to another volume/Diks look here.

Backup of the fast RAID-Array with all user data will be on a 3 to 4 disk zfs-raid (within a few weeks after i have enough experience with zfs, if not ok then i will use a normal raid-mirror for this). Backup of the fast startup-drive will go to a external 250 GB WD-Drive. This is the perfect way to have a lean and clean systeminstall and an all-userdata tank where all and everything is and gets backed up on zfs (critical data gets a second backup...). IMHO the best compromise between fast and safe. The Startup-Raptor scores around 80 in xbench, the RAID-0 at around 120.

So this is where i am at now and as for the Bluetooth: i absolutely have no problems with my small 9 Euro MSI-Stick sitting here on my 7-port Belkin USB-Hub. I even have the impression that it works more reliably then my built-in Bluetooth on my MacBook Pro 15", it is faster "ready", on the macbook i always hat to wait several seconds until the system was started. So, technically i am absolutely satisfeid with what i have now, absolutely brilliant, the best mac i ever owned. :)

So, no issues, even with wake from sleep! My hack was several hours asleep before i wrote this message! I moved the mouse and the display was there, it took a small amount of time until the harddrives spinning up and there it is, the same with shutting down the system: works as it should.