[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

hey guys, I was following the overclocking advice of weeksauce12's on the second page of this thread. Unfortunately my computer doesn't start now at all. It doesn't even come to the POST. I cannot access the BIOS. How do I go with resetting BIOS settings to default? I tried the old school way of taking out the battery on the mobo but it didn't work out. I have read jumper settings on the bad axe 2 motherboard guide. Should I set to defaults through that? Please let me know.

my system is badaxe2-kr with 2.4cpu and 4 gigs of ram.

I am also getting 3700~ on geekbench. I am curious to know if 4 gigs of more ram would add 1000 to your score.

Worked for me. I used this method and it worked a charm.

Stu

Well, formatting the USB Stick to HSF worked for me too. Now I'm not receiving any errors, and I can finish the guide successfully.

BUT, the system crashes when starting. I used -v and I can see that after NVinject, it starts dealing with the network, and I get all sort of errors there until it freezes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how can I solve this?

Thank you!

Hey Weaksauce,

Well, I finally managed to boot Leopard with Kalyway 10.5.1 full DVD. This one "seems" to work for me.

After a clean install usign this DVD, I installed the 10.5.2 Graphics driver you pointed (thanks!), and It works :-)

+ Sound patch - applied

now systems seems to freeze randomly

What should be my next step?

Sorry if this Q is too dumb, but as you can see I'm a total noob!

+ do I have to type any of the commands in your guide?

or

+ do I have to Apple try the updates first?

Thanks bud for your help.

hey guys, I was following the overclocking advice of weeksauce12's on the second page of this thread. Unfortunately my computer doesn't start now at all. It doesn't even come to the POST. I cannot access the BIOS. How do I go with resetting BIOS settings to default? I tried the old school way of taking out the battery on the mobo but it didn't work out. I have read jumper settings on the bad axe 2 motherboard guide. Should I set to defaults through that? Please let me know.

I am also getting 3700~ on geekbench. I am curious to know if 4 gigs of more ram would add 1000 to your score.

Dont stress. I was at the same point.

I had to reset the BIOS with the jumpers, remove the battery and remove all ram but one module....

I gave up on overclocking.. to risky for me and could never find stability.

Most stable at stock settings..

lindmar here's my settings and model:

memory: MEM 2Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P8004GK R

cooler: CPUCOOLER|ARCTIC P4|ACFZ7-PRO R

thermal compound: THERMAL COMPOUND AC|MX-2 R

case: lian li PC-V1100B PLUS II

first I went ahead and switch the jumper on badaxe2 to maintenance mode. in my bios settings I changed below:

Disable EIST, C1T, and most importantly the Failsafe Watchdog setting. save, exit. turn off computer. switch back the jumper to normal setting. this time f2 bios settings and I changed such:

memory:

4-4-4-15 at 2.04V (recommended timing from ocz)

changed the bus to 667

cpu: I only bumped up the host frequency to 333.

keep the stock voltages.

hope this helps.

Just popping in real quick, here's my Hotlist for the week -

1. Wrap up Rev 2 of the Guide & release it

2. Get Gigabyte working 100%

3. Figure out a way to clone drives successfully

Got the Gigabyte back up, had to reset the BIOS by removing the battery. Oye. Things are looking good again, ironing out bugs and whatnot. Still super-busy with work so I'm putting in time where I can ;)

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find out what causes the system to completely freeze. I'm pretty sure this is a Graphics driver issue.

I was able to reproduce an action that makes the system to freeze. Could anyone please check if you have the same response I have?

- Open: Leopard Dictionary

- Look for "Cesta"

you should see a result. Double click on "cesta"

- expand the window MANUALLY (NOT using the "+ "button), just drag the lower right corner of the window to expand it.

SYSTEM FROZEN

Is it only me?

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find out what causes the system to completely freeze. I'm pretty sure this is a Graphics driver issue.

I was able to reproduce an action that makes the system to freeze. Could anyone please check if you have the same response I have?

- Open: Leopard Dictionary

- Look for "Cesta"

you should see a result. Double click on "cesta"

- expand the window MANUALLY (NOT using the "+ "button), just drag the lower right corner of the window to expand it.

SYSTEM FROZEN

Is it only me?

Works for me! I've got a 256mb 7900GT with NVinject 2.1. What make/model video card are you running and what software are you using?

Works for me! I've got a 256mb 7900GT with NVinject 2.1. What make/model video card are you running and what software are you using?

ok, so I guess my graphics driver are screwed then.

I have Inno3D GF 8800 GTS 512Mb.

Only DVD that worked fine for me was Kalyway 10.5.1

- at the install ONLY selecting EFI MBR option. All the other options deselected.

Lead me to a successfull install.

After that I installed the 10.5.2 Driver you pointed (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15) because the G80 driver you have in your package was causing the system to crash at booting. Wich works fine except for this ramdom freezes (I assume that is a graphics issue, but not sure)

But after constant freezes, I thought I'd give it another try and just run your G80 installer again -without uninstalling the old one.

This time machine rebooted fine, but the issue is still there.

My Q is, Do i have to delete the other driver before trying your G80 or just install it on top (like I did).

Another thing I'm confused is that some say that my card is G92 not G80, but the installer says it's for 8800 GTS 512Mb too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note:

I installed TONS of software (CS3 Suite, FINAL CUT complete -Motion3-DVDStudio Pro, Office 2008, Toast, Crossover with some WINApps... etc) to test and the system, and even having ALL APPS open (all CS3 & Office included Apps) is SO FAST!!!! I love it!!!....

I'll send more details on my config pretty soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! :-)

ok, so I guess my graphics driver are screwed then.

I have Inno3D GF 8800 GTS 512Mb.

Only DVD that worked fine for me was Kalyway 10.5.1

- at the install ONLY selecting EFI MBR option. All the other options deselected.

Lead me to a successfull install.

After that I installed the 10.5.2 Driver you pointed (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15) because the G80 driver you have in your package was causing the system to crash at booting. Wich works fine except for this ramdom freezes (I assume that is a graphics issue, but not sure)

But after constant freezes, I thought I'd give it another try and just run your G80 installer again -without uninstalling the old one.

This time machine rebooted fine, but the issue is still there.

My Q is, Do i have to delete the other driver before trying your G80 or just install it on top (like I did).

Another thing I'm confused is that some say that my card is G92 not G80, but the installer says it's for 8800 GTS 512Mb too.

I think some of the newer 8800 GTS 512mb cards are G92 models...if that's the case then you'll need a specific driver for your model from 10.5.2, I think.

On a related note, it seems that people are having tons of problems with 512mb video cards of any type. Just a heads up for future buyers.

Hi Weaksauce!

my marvell sata works!! i´ve modified the appleahciport.kext from the iatkos installation. all drives are now internal, all ports are recognized as generic ahci.

one problem is still here. you must force (-f at startup) to load the driver because of changed superclass. have no idea how to manage this..:-(

edit:

i´ve reinstalled my kext using kexthelper! it works like a charm!!

i´m still a beginner!

apoo

AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

I followed weaksauce's OC settings on Page 2 of this guide and got to 3.33ghz stable. I am using liquid cooling though, but it's not a heat issue, some chips just won't post beyond certain numbers regardless of the heat. My CPU is running at 39* idle but still can't get more than 3.33.

My Geekbench is 6252 - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/33390

Hi Weaksauce!

my marvell sata works!! i´ve modified the appleahciport.kext from the iatkos installation. all drives are now internal, all ports are recognized as generic ahci.

one problem is still here. you must force (-f at startup) to load the driver because of changed superclass. have no idea how to manage this..:-(

edit:

i´ve reinstalled my kext using kexthelper! it works like a charm!!

i´m still a beginner!

apoo

Hmm, I tried it and it wouldn't let me boot on ACPI and didn't show any drives on the Marvell controller on IDE. Are you using EFI 5.2? Did you put a special path into Kexthelper or just drag-and-drop?

i use pc_efi_v80. with kexthelper i installed it with kext permissions and tag cache(i think). i also replaced (from iatkos) ioata and ionetwork. both of them i´ve just uploaded.

good luck ;-)

No luck for me on those either. Which EFI 8.0 guide are you using, BJMoose's?

Also, what are your hard drive settings in the BIOS? AHCI, Automatic?

What am I doing wrong? My network card is still not stable; I've tried using the one included in the ba_pack and the one linked a couple topics above mine from aploo... It just doesn'tw anna come on. The BadAxe2 network card worked fine in Tiger with no changes at all by me, is something different with it here in Leopard?

i used bjmoose´s guide to install efi, and zzac´s method (topic#11 in the same thread) to install leopard. in bios i´ve put all sata drives to ahci! did you try this first?

apoo

I'll give this a try on my spare drive and let you know if it works...it'd be great if it did! Any issues with your install overall so far?

Hello just wanted to add to this topic I have ended up using the Kalyway intel 5.1 install on the bad axe mobo and it is almost perfect, At present; bluetooth mouse and keyboard waking from sleep most of the time, the scond time it woke up but then hung up so had to reset, network working although very slow not sure if this is a mac problem or my cable being slow. I just thought this may help others as it seems there is a load of confusing info around.

Thanks for everyones hard work on this and hopefully we will all have a perfect hackintosh soon ;)

I don't know if this fixes Time Machine - haven't had time to try that yet, but here's the IONetworkingFamily from my system

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That zip file you attached was empty.

Can you post another one OR tell me where I can get it?

Please let me know.

Cheers.

HI all,

I try appleahci.kext post here, but my system dont boot up, give me err im ahciport.

any one have marvell sata ports working? anda SATa is possible put to work w/o add one expecific card for this?

thx