[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

NICE!

So I'm just curious. I'm checking here a few times a day, where is this group of people following the "weaksauce" guide, going from here with this project?

I don't know where everyone else is going, but today I'm working on the following:

1. Getting the Marvell SATA controller working (2 possible solutions currently)

2. Getting the System Profiler to recognize the processor as a Core 2 Quad

3. Testing EFI 8.0 for use with my guide

I am still anxious to get a better sound solution working, even if we can just add the "mute" function to the stereo output. My primary goal at the moment is to get my system working 100%, so that's what I'm working towards. After that I am going to focus on those other guides (overclocking, dual-booting, using VM software to boot from a separate non-Mac partition, etc.).

I don't know where everyone else is going, but today I'm working on the following:

1. Getting the Marvell SATA controller working (2 possible solutions currently)

2. Getting the System Profiler to recognize the processor as a Core 2 Quad

3. Testing EFI 8.0 for use with my guide

I am still anxious to get a better sound solution working, even if we can just add the "mute" function to the stereo output. My primary goal at the moment is to get my system working 100%, so that's what I'm working towards. After that I am going to focus on those other guides (overclocking, dual-booting, using VM software to boot from a separate non-Mac partition, etc.).

Hey Weaksauce,

Thats great.

I have some questions.

1) What is the benefit of a newer EFI

2) What can I do to help

3) Any ideas on the slow disk speeds?

4) What bios are you running? Are you still running a regular bios versus the newest KR bios..

Cheers!

Hey Weaksauce,

Thats great.

I have some questions.

1) What is the benefit of a newer EFI

2) What can I do to help

3) Any ideas on the slow disk speeds?

Cheers!

The benefit of the newer EFI is that you can create GPT/GUID partitions, which means that you can resize partitions on your Mac without having to reformat. It's just like how Boot Camp does it - shrinks your existing OS X installation partition and creates another one for Windows, no reformatting required. This may not be of benefit to everyone (including me, since I have Windows on a separate hard drive), but I just wanted to keep my system up-to-date and offer the most options possible for my Hackintosh install on the Bad Axe 2. I'll run some tests on the disk speeds once I try out both of my Marvell SATA controller options.

What I really need help with right now (aside from testing once I get everything up and running) is the Audio. I have no clue how to get it working; I'm sure that Taruga can fix it but he's a very busy guy as he is the lead for all audio solutions in the Hackintosh community. I've found a few internal PCI/PCIe sound cards that work under Hackintosh, but they are all pro-level stuff and are very expensive. It looks like the best solution to our problems right now is simply a USB sound card. eBay has a fantastic, inexpensive solution - a small blue USB 5.1 sound card that is supposed to work great with Hackintosh. They are available for under $10 shipped, just do a search for "USB 5.1". It's a small transparent blue USB adapter (looks like a jump drive) from Hong Kong, sometimes labeled model "SC16". It has speaker/headphone output and mic input; I don't know if it supports line input or output. It says it supports 5.1, but it's only a virtual version of 5.1 - you need an optical output or 6-channel analog output to get true surround sound. I ordered one and will test it out for our project; it looks like it's the best solution for now. Be sure to shop around, I got mine for like 99 cents plus $3 shipping. Don't pay more than ten bucks for it! lol

Yeah, I think they're all the same inside, whether they're green, blue, red, whatever. That solves our audio problem for under ten bucks, so I'm happy. I'm hammering away on the other stuff tonight. Also, it looks like we have a good source for SATA and RAID cards now - the Silicon Image 3132 chipset. They are in a variety of cards and you can flash the firmware for either SATA or RAID, depending on what you want to do. Available in both internal SATA and eSATA; eSATA works with Port-Multiplied enclosures. Highpoint makes RAID cards if you need more than 2 or 4 ports. Pricing is about $30 for a 2-port and around $110 for a 4-port. Check out this thread for more information:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=24254

So once we get the Marvell SATA controller working reliably and quickly, we'll have 8 onboard SATA ports plus the option of doing RAID with a PCI Express card. theotherone has been doing some great work getting RAID working as a boot drive using cloning tools, so you can have both a fast boot drive and fast secondary drive if desired.

I'm very pleased with our progress so far, thank you all for your participation!

I ordered two of those little usb plugs from ebay.. I figured grab an extra, Im seriously thinking about making another hackintosh using the weaksauce method again! ;)

There's also a little blue USB Bluetooth adapter I ordered off there. I have a D-Link model that works great, but it's expensive; the eBay model is like $5. Just search for "100m usb bluetooth" (transparent blue model). I have no idea if it will work under OS X, but if it does then we have another great, inexpensive hardware solution!

I'm still hammering away on SATA, no luck yet, but I will prevail! :P

Things which crash my system completely, and other weirdness that I've experienced:

1) Hitting F5 on my Mac USB thin keyboard locks the system completely. I think it's a snapshot or screenshot of some sort that it's taking, but it's a hard reset issue.

2) Using retouch in iPhoto also crashes the OS completely, hard reset needed.

3) Certain applications crash completely as soon as they are loaded - example is PokerStars mac client (although it is in beta)

4) My combination of monitors (Dell 3007WFP 30" and Dell 2001FP 20") creates some slightly unusual side effects - anything using 3D acceleration causes the 20" screen to flicker rapidly - easiest way to make it happen is to load iDVD and choose the default theme that has the rotating cylinders. This didn't happen when I was using 2 x 20" screens so might be something to do with powering a screen via duallink DVI.

5) Using an Atheros-based wireless card (Netgear WG311T) if I hit "Advanced" in the network settings, my entire system locks up. The card is recognized as an Airport Extreme and works perfectly otherwise.

6) Mute doesn't work.

7) At Settings -> Desktop & Dock if you choose "Pictures Folder" on the left to choose a picture to use as your desktop background, the OS locks completely. You can use a picture as a desktop background in other ways, but again this seems to be a hardware accelerated CI problem.

Other than that it's been a fairly flawless experience using a variety of applications. VMware Fusion runs flawlessly and XP emulation is extremely fast for everything other than the most poorly written apps. Hopefully 10.5.2 will give us some improved Core Image support which will fix alot of the bugs mentioned above.

Thanks again Onetrack/weaksauce for putting together these guides and making my life easier :unsure:

Things which crash my system completely, and other weirdness that I've experienced:

1) Hitting F5 on my Mac USB thin keyboard locks the system completely. I think it's a snapshot or screenshot of some sort that it's taking, but it's a hard reset issue.

I have a mac wired aluminum slim keyboard and I don't have any problem when pressing F5. It actually does nothing.

2) Using retouch in iPhoto also crashes the OS completely, hard reset needed.

In iphoto I tried to retouch one of my photos and again no problems. The software or OS did not crash.

6) Mute doesn't work.

This is a known problem using the patched drivers

7) At Settings -> Desktop & Dock if you choose "Pictures Folder" on the left to choose a picture to use as your desktop background, the OS locks completely. You can use a picture as a desktop background in other ways, but again this seems to be a hardware accelerated CI problem.

when I go to System Preferences/Desktop & Screensavers/Pictures Folder I don't get any OS lockup.

Thanks again Onetrack/weaksauce for putting together these guides and making my life easier :unsure:

Weird.

I'm not having any of those issues either.

Just my garbely screen on res change or sleep awake....

THats it for me. I went through and tried to crash the system yesterday in iphoto, imovie, chaning things.. all went well.

Played an amazing game of Command & COnquer 3 .

Can I hurt my system by downgrading the BIOS?

I'm thinking of trying a few earlier BIOS updates to see if that fixes anything.

I read a few forums talking about the most stables BadAxe Bios..

I was able to in the old bios by turning on USB Legacy support, but since I upgraded my bios I haven't been able to get it to work...

Are you using the 10.5.1 Nvidia/OpenGL kext's or the 10.5.2?

I'm not sure which Nvidia/OpenGL kext I'm using. How do I check for it?

Do you remember which bios worked with this keyboard? I'm thinking of downgrading the bios for this motherboard.

Lindmar, I don't have any issue with the sleep/wakeup with my computer. I'm assuming this is the one where the computer turns off and you wake it up by moving the mouse?

Sorry for crossposting this:

Thanks for this GUIDE BJMoose! I got this EFI-thing working on my badaxe2. I tried and succeeded with an external usb-install and with an internal sata-install (using Kalyway 10.5.1 but without letting kaly writing a bootblock which i wrote manually with your and zzaks method). EFI Install on an older internal 160 GB PATA-Drive failed...

After getting this to work so far i tried to install on an efi8-equipped drive from an original GM-Image of Leo. Install succeeded and i can start with that installation OK, but only up until the gray screen! Booting with -v gave me several errors of Type mDNS-Responder which i got eventually solved in some way but i never get the installation completely to boot (i only installed dsmos.kext and tried various other kextx's which usualy will be used if one installs with the BrazilMac/weaksauce-Method). I also tried with an apple.com.boot.plist for my XFX 7600 GT from this thread to no avail.

My goal was to get a naked Leo-Install DVD installed in an internal SATA-Drive with a minimum set of foreign kexts and then transfer this complete install with efi8 to a RAID which sits on an internal Highpoint RAID-Controllercard to boot from it. But i finally gave up on this because it was impossible to move efi8 bootable to the RAID0-HDs on the sata-controller in a form so that i can later boot from it. It stuck with a blinking cursor, no f8 possible, so EFI not found on RAID. So, goodbye efi8/GUID for install on my RAID HDs. Maybe i try this again at some time.

Now i switchback to the proofen weaksauce-install with EFI5.2 for Installation on my RAID0-Volume. After succesfully cloning a weaksauce-MBR-startvolume to my RAID i want now make this new install manually from within an 10.5.1-installed os, thats what i will do the next few hours:

- make RAID-Volume bootable with MBR and EFI5.2

- Install patched brazilmac-disc to the RAID-Volume.

- installing a few kexts a'la weaksauce

- repairing permissions

- [hopefully] boot from RAID..

So far my experiences and goals, maybe abit off topic, sorry.

Maybe you could expand your Bad-Axe 2 EFI-tutorial in a way that we could succeed with installing a original untouched Leo-Disk with as few foreign kexts as possible. This would be a good starting-point for me to try again getting my RAID finally to GUID & Efi 8.

Btw.: As i am on a kalyway-install with EFI8 and GUID now for 2 days, i would swear that the diskperformance seems weaker than under the weaksauce-brazilmac-Method with EFI 5.2 and MBR. I haven't wrote down the numbers but it feels like i lost a bit performance, looking into xbench seems 10 to 20 points lower than before..., i write down the numbers and will agin test under the new weaksauce-install. I know, everybody tells the other way round (GUID should give slightly better performance then MBR, but here it looks weaker, may have to do with the installation-method and the innards of the underlying brazilmac/Kalyway Techniques...).

So far my experiences and goals, maybe abit off topic, sorry.

Maybe you could expand your Bad-Axe 2 EFI-tutorial in a way that we could succeed with installing a original untouched Leo-Disk with as few foreign kexts as possible. This would be a good starting-point for me to try again getting my RAID finally to GUID & Efi 8.

Btw.: As i am on a kalyway-install with EFI8 and GUID now for 2 days, i would swear that the diskperformance seems weaker than under the weaksauce-brazilmac-Method with EFI 5.2 and MBR. I haven't wrote down the numbers but it feels like i lost a bit performance, looking into xbench seems 10 to 20 points lower than before..., i write down the numbers and will agin test under the new weaksauce-install. I know, everybody tells the other way round (GUID should give slightly better performance then MBR, but here it looks weaker, may have to do with the installation-method and the innards of the underlying brazilmac/Kalyway Techniques...).

Not off topic in the least - anything related to the Bad Axe 2 and related hardware is more than welcome here! I am only one guy and cannot do it all myself, so I greatly appreciate your help! Even if you're just building a system and popping in to confirm what works and what doesn't, that's helpful!

I agree that a virgin install is a good goal to go with. I am still experimenting with EFI 8.0 to varying degrees of success. GUID hasn't been so crucial that it is make-or-break for my guide, but it is definitely a feature I would like to add in the future. Right now 5.2 works splendidly and covers most of the bases. I am calling it quits on audio since I do not have the background to write drivers, so if Taruga releases a Sigmatel update for us, then great, but I'm not crossing my fingers since he is super super busy. My next guide update will recommend purchasing the $5 eBay USB sound stick to add audio; the HDApatcher and Sigmatel text will be included in the guide package but will not be a primary part of the guide anymore. $5 is a small price to pay to get fully-working audio, in my opinion. I am still working on the Marvell SATA controller and System Profiler (Core 2 Quad or Q6600 recognition) and have high hopes for success; 2 board members already have it all 8 SATA ports working and I have two solutions that I am testing out. Whichever has better performance numbers will be the one I go with, provided the installation isn't overly difficult.

So for the next release of the guide, I am planning on including the various guide updates, the correct BIOS, the recommendation on the USB audio adapter (once it arrives and I test it), a recommendation for an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter, the Marvell fix, and the System Profiler fix, provided I can get those last two working with the help of other board members. The guide release after that will be updated for EFI 8.0, provided I am satisfied with the installation solution. My ultimate goal is to have a 2-disc solution; one disc that you burn with the Bad Axe 2 installation system and the other being the commercial Leopard disc. The Bad Axe 2 system would include the appropriate modification files and scripts, including an installer for the common video cards. That's a pipe dream right now, however, but it is something I have in mind as I work on my system. If any of you are good at coding or scripting, let me know - I'd love to get that section of the project rolling!

I am considering hosting an IRC channel to facilitate faster responses to people's problems and to promote live discussion among board members. If I do so, I will set a time every week that I will be on to answer people's questions, like a Wednesday night for an hour or two or something. #weaksauce12 on EFnet is where I would be. You can use a Mac IRC client like Linkinus or Colloquy, a Windows IRC client such as mIRC, or a web-based IRC client:

http://chat.efnet.org/

Let me know if you guys are interested in this and I'll take it on a week-to-week basis.

I'd totally be down with a IRC channel.

I tried reverting back to an OLD bios today 2333 Which is considered the best and most stable BadAxe2 Bios.

Was able to downgrade without an issue.

Computer is running the same... I cant see how the BIOS's change in one way or another.

Still got my same issues. Sometimes I just think I've got a funky 7300gt? I'm going to order another card.

Got another SATA 500GB HD in the mail, a CPU cooler and some paste to see if I can get stable at 3.0

Also got 2 of the $5 audio solutions on the way!

@lindmar: have you tried to took out the battery from the BadAxe, set the jumpers, wait for a few seconds and put it back in? Sometimes this do wonders with unexpected problems. I formyself didn't have a need for that, but in your case i would give it a try if you have not already done so...

If you will do it: Be forewarned! Don't put the Battery in the wrong direction back in or you could damage your motherboard...!

@weaksauce: i'm totally with you in your goals. I will gladly help with whatever i can do. In my last install today i thought about putting the various commands (rm -rf, -cp -R, chown, chmod, startupfiletool) into a post-install script. This should be feasible. I'm not an expert in shell-scripting, but i'm an applescripter and database-coder, so with some testing etc. this may work. As for the Sound i agree with you that there seems no other way then to use the 5$ ÚSB-Solution. For High-End Freaks (like me) i would recommend an Creative X-Fi external USB-Sound Out and -in (roundabout $80). This is what i use and it works totally out of the box, no driver needed. Another way would be if one has an Headset with USB, this may work also without any intervention other then setting it as the default out- and input-device in the Systemsettings. I haven't tested the marvell-sata-ports in my board yet, maybe i will try these tomorrow. If you have any recommendations what to do to get them working, then please let me know. IRC would be OK with me.

So far no success in making my MBR-formatted RAID bootable. I gave all necessary commands, got the usual correct output on terminal but efi wont load when the controller is the startudevice in bios. So maybe i have to do the clone-way again to get these working, but b4 i need to have a nearly 1:1 Ratio in dskToClone_from to RAID_to_Clone_to. In the Moment i have a 500 GB to 1TB Ratio and would loose 500 GB which is absolutely unacceptable. Volume-cloning wouldn't work so i need to go device-cloning. Maybe this would be obsolete when we can get the marvell-controller with acceptable speed working. Softraid may also be an option :P .

@weaksauce: i'm totally with you in your goals. I will gladly help with whatever i can do. In my last install today i thought about putting the various commands (rm -rf, -cp -R, chown, chmod, startupfiletool) into a post-install script. This should be feasible. I'm not an expert in shell-scripting, but i'm an applescripter and database-coder, so with some testing etc. this may work. As for the Sound i agree with you that there seems no other way then to use the 5$ ÚSB-Solution. For High-End Freaks (like me) i would recommend an Creative X-Fi external USB-Sound Out and -in (roundabout $80). This is what i use and it works totally out of the box, no driver needed. Another way would be if one has an Headset with USB, this may work also without any intervention other then setting it as the default out- and input-device in the Systemsettings. I haven't tested the marvell-sata-ports in my board yet, maybe i will try these tomorrow. If you have any recommendations what to do to get them working, then please let me know. IRC would be OK with me.

So far no success in making my MBR-formatted RAID bootable. I gave all necessary commands, got the usual correct output on terminal but efi wont load when the controller is the startudevice in bios. So maybe i have to do the clone-way again to get these working, but b4 i need to have a nearly 1:1 Ratio in dskToClone_from to RAID_to_Clone_to. In the Moment i have a 500 GB to 1TB Ratio and would loose 500 GB which is absolutely unacceptable. Volume-cloning wouldn't work so i need to go device-cloning. Maybe this would be obsolete when we can get the marvell-controller with acceptable speed working. Softraid may also be an option ;) .

The issue isn't the scripting itself...I have a complete Bad Axe 2-specific post-install script written, however, the BrazilMac-patched Leopard disc apparently has a crippled version of Terminal on it. Many commands simply don't work under the "LiveCD", although they work fine from within an OS X installation. Even simple things like mount/unmount don't behave as expected. Theoritically they should work fine, but they don't. My attention has been turned to Kalyway's 10.5.1 release...I tried PMing him but his inbox is full...if we could get a copy of his scripts, we could modify our own custom-install disc. However, I don't want to release a pre-patched Leopard into the wild since I am a firm believer in buying a license (i.e. owning an actual disc) and I don't want to contribute to the Mac pirate scene. Therefore, the two options are (1) to modify BrazilMac to do what we want (easiest) and (2) develop our own disc that only requires a virgin, commercial Leopard disc (more desirable but harder to do).

I have not been having good success with EFI 8.0 (yet) but I don't have much experience with it so I'm not giving up just yet. GUID would be a really handy feature to have and it works for plenty of Bad Axe users, so I'm still hammering away on perfecting a procedure for it. Again my next guide will be an update for EFI 5.2, with various tweaks. Just FYI to everyone, I'm balancing this project between family, work, and college, so don't expect speedy progress. I am also helping many users on an individual, case-by-case basis, so thank you all for your contributions and for testing different solutions out - it's helping a lot! The 5.2 "revision 2" update will be mid-January (mostly just waiting for more hardware to show up) and I'm hoping to have the EFI 8 revision by the end of the month. I will probably do a cloning/backup guide between revision 2 and revision 3 since a lot of people have been asking for that.

theotherone, I believe CopyCatX has the feature to resize partitions, including MBR (I think). I also know they have another tool (VolumeWorks) that lets you resize partitions, although I haven't had a chance to play with it. If you test that out at all, let us know what your results are. It seems like it's basically PartitionMagic for Mac. I am also experimenting with Acronis TrueImage. My goal is to have a backup system that can clone a hard drive and that you can boot to a recovery CD to restore that image file. CopyCatX has that feature, but you have to buy the CD since they make it bootable (apparently it's very difficult to make it bootable if you've bought the download-only version). But that's all stuff for after revision 2 ;)

Weaksauce,

What Bios are you running on your BadAxe 2?

Still a BadAxe version 1 bios?

I'll check on that later today.

I did a fresh install this morning and used Patrick's 10.4 IONetworkingFamily.kext; it works fine for both Ethernet and Time Machine on my BA2-KR. It looks like we now have a universal solution for both BA2 and BA2-KR boards.

I'm doing a lot of testing for the next revision of my guide this week. Things seem to be going pretty well; I hope my el-cheapo sound card and Bluetooth adapter show up sometime this week so that I can test them ASAP. The Marvell controller is still a work-in-progress. I'm putting EFI 8 on hold for now to focus on revision 2 of the guide. Thanks again to everyone for their input! Also, I need a tester for my next guide revision (complete reinstall) who has a NON-KR Bad Axe 2 board, repeat, a non-KR Bad Axe 2 board. If you have one and are willing to give it a shot, please shoot me a PM!

Also, I gave Acronis True Image 11 Home a shot (boot disc) but it doesn't recognize GUID partitions. I'm running EFI 5.2 so it should be MBR, but it's only showing MBR on my backup drive (HFS+ formatted); my boot drive's largest partition is shown as GUID for some reason. However GUID is not supported, so Acronis is not a valid option (unless an older version supports it?). CopyCatX has a boot disc available if you buy the CD + Download version, so I will probably give that a shot next. I need a good tool for doing disk-to-disk clones and for doing disk-to-image backups, so I will pursue this until I find a viable solution.

Also, I gave Acronis True Image 11 Home a shot (boot disc) but it doesn't recognize GUID partitions. I'm running EFI 5.2 so it should be MBR, but it's only showing MBR on my backup drive (HFS+ formatted); my boot drive's largest partition is shown as GUID for some reason. However GUID is not supported, so Acronis is not a valid option (unless an older version supports it?). CopyCatX has a boot disc available if you buy the CD + Download version, so I will probably give that a shot next. I need a good tool for doing disk-to-disk clones and for doing disk-to-image backups, so I will pursue this until I find a viable solution.

You don't need the bootable CD of CopyCatX! Its OK to start from an external usb-drive and then have both disks (to clone from/to clone to) unmountablethen it works (sometines because the sw seems very buggy).

I cannot recommend CopyCatX anymore! Besides the one sucessful startable Device-Clone with MBR i have made i have not much luck with this piece of SW. It bombs on me all the time and crashes more often then not. At this moment I tried to make a Copy from a bootdisk about 90 GIGs on a 500 GB Volume to a Diskimage: it tells me there is an big error and crashes down. Several other attempts with Device-Cloning or Volume-cloning failed miserably for me, maybe it has to do with EFI8 and/or MBR or the special way a X86-Disk is made bootable or whatever. Alltogether i think CopyCat X is not "ready" for Leopard or not the way to go for X86. I will continue testing but at this point i couldn*t recommend investing in this Program. To bad Arconis didn't work for you. Have you tried ghost or DiskClone Hatchery with Leopard? Or maybe there is a "pro" version of Arconis...

I also tried today to use the red SATA-Port of my badaxe Kr2 Board to connect an external 1TB Drive. The Marvell Controller "sees" the drive and wants me to formate or initialize it, but i coudn't let him because it containes a few gigs of data that i first have to save elsewhere. After that my board stucks on "94" and didn't go to the bootloader of my startvolume so i have to disable the second sata controller altogether.

After my volume-backup is complete in the background (using CCC) i will try to initialize 2 500 GIg Drives as RAID which are on the first-sata controller of the board. I have nut much hope to get these to work, but i want try it. If you have any recommendations/settings regarding the built-in RAID-Controllers let me know.