[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

Hi! This is maybe a stupid question but I have one Leopard update dvd and the tutorial says that it must be retail dvd. Is there any change to make this dvd work?

And what about 10.5.1 retail dvd? Does it work as good with brazilmac than 10.5.0 retail?

Also I wonder what is the situation with other operation systems? Can I still use XP easily? I need that only in few spice softwares.. Shame that mac wont have any good GUI spice sw.. =)

Thanks!

You can convert your Leopard Update DVD to a Leopard Retail DVD using this tutorial:

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/12/12791/

I have only tested the 10.5.0 Leopard Retail DVD with the BrazilMac patch. You are more than welcome to try a different disc, be sure to post your results back here when you're done!

You can still use XP easily in a Virtual Machine. You can also dual-boot using a separate hard drive (just choose which drive you want to boot up to in BIOS). There are a few options out there for dual-booting on a single hard drive, but I have not personally tested any of them yet so I can't really say anything on that subject. I've heard EasyBCD is good; a quick search came up with this Vista/OS X tutorial that you might be able to adapter for Windows XP:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Mac+OS+X

What are "spice softwares" ? Like for cooking?

Thanks for your reply! I tried to search google if I can convert update to retail but didnt find anything.

SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) is for designing circuits. I know there are few ones but every good one is only for windows and I really hate that..

I'd like to know what is safe to run on our systems and what is not.

For example, do we need to use any cleanup tools like Onyx which I usually use with my macs? Can that hurt our installs?

Has anyone tried the Optical OUT? my optical light is on as well.

I noticed that the MUTE button on my keyboard doesnt work but volume/up/down works!.. no biggy though.

Going to test Time Machine today.

I REALLY am debating building a second machine...The cost of the BadAxe system is still up there but its a beauty. I'm not sure if I've got the faith in other tutorials/guides.

I REALLY am debating building a second machine...The cost of the BadAxe system is still up there but its a beauty. I'm not sure if I've got the faith in other tutorials/guides.

You don't have to build a BX2 Quad, do you? - especially if you're replacing a G4. My "Giant AppleTV" that I have hooked up to the living room TV I built in a SFF case and uses a 3.0 Ghz P4. It xbenchmarks over 100 - and it's disk speeds are all faster than the BX2. The audio works great, I added a FW card and it's networked via its internal ethernet.

I think the total cost was around $300...

Patrick

You don't have to build a BX2 Quad, do you? - especially if you're replacing a G4. My "Giant AppleTV" that I have hooked up to the living room TV I built in a SFF case and uses a 3.0 Ghz P4. It xbenchmarks over 100 - and it's disk speeds are all faster than the BX2. The audio works great, I added a FW card and it's networked via its internal ethernet.

I think the total cost was around $300...

Patrick

It is to replace a G4.

I dont know. I want something stable and reliable like the quad BX Build. But it does get up close to another grand by time I buy everything.

I know weaksauce is working on a sub $500 model. I will wait for his report on that I guess...

Quick sidenote, I tried TimeMachine today. Worked perfectly. I deleted a few files, went back and was easily able to restore the files.

BrazilMac should make just one layer dvd to burn. So yes you dont have to own dual layer but your drive needs to have ability to read dual layer because the original dvd from Apple is dl disk.

Couldnt say it any more mixed up.. =)

BrazilMac should make just one layer dvd to burn. So yes you dont have to own dual layer but your drive needs to have ability to read dual layer because the original dvd from Apple is dl disk.

Couldnt say it any more mixed up.. =)

I think pretty much every DVD drive ever made has the ability to read dual-layer discs, it's the dual-layer burning feature that has come down in price in recent years. $35 for a super fast DL DVD burner now, sheesh!

Also BrazilMac results in a single-layer DVD-sized image.

It is to replace a G4.

I dont know. I want something stable and reliable like the quad BX Build. But it does get up close to another grand by time I buy everything.

I know weaksauce is working on a sub $500 model. I will wait for his report on that I guess...

Quick sidenote, I tried TimeMachine today. Worked perfectly. I deleted a few files, went back and was easily able to restore the files.

Well, it's pretty darn reliable, I've built 2 of them, one for me and another one I helped a friend build for his kids. But I've only run Tiger on it. And I've got a P4 in mine and his. I think you need a Core 2 to run EFI. The one I built was a prelude to building the quad and I used it as my main computer for months.

Good to know about Time Machine...

Patrick

It is to replace a G4.

I'll probably release the sub-$500 model guide on Tuesday, time permitting. It's actually closer to $350 (well, $341 shipped) for the base configuration :P

My goal was to create a build that was 1/2 the cost of the Mini, but with shipping it always ends up being a little bit more than $300 ($600 base Mini), and with a few upgrades that make it worthwhile (1.8ghz to 2.0ghz, 1gb to 2gb ram, 80gb to 160gb hard drive), it only drives up the price by less than $50, so the $350 model is the base config. So the $350 build is actually equivalent to the $800 second Mac Mini model, which actually totals $1024 from Apple (2ghz/2gb/160gb/GMA950). A good price by any comparison!

The next budget Hackintosh configuration, a $500 model, includes a real video card (1080p-capable 7300GT) plus a second drive for Time Machine. The third $600 model includes that plus 4 gigs of ram, a PCI USB card for more ports, Bluetooth, and an internal card reader. So $600 can get you a nice basic Mac Mini with a 1.83ghz dual-core processor, 1 gig of ram, and CD-RW/DVD-ROM, OR $600 gets you a 2.0ghz dual-core Hackintosh with 4 gigs of ram, 2 hard drives, DVD burner, card reader, and USB PCI card. Oh and Bluetooth.

Glad Time Machine worked out for you! Patrick's IONetworkingFamily kext worked spot-on for everyone's boards so far, so I'm very pleased with that. Is that the one you used, or did you use the one from the original version of my guide?

I'll probably release the sub-$500 model guide on Tuesday, time permitting. It's actually closer to $350 (well, $341 shipped) for the base configuration :P

My goal was to create a build that was 1/2 the cost of the Mini, but with shipping it always ends up being a little bit more than $300 ($600 base Mini), and with a few upgrades that make it worthwhile (1.8ghz to 2.0ghz, 1gb to 2gb ram, 80gb to 160gb hard drive), it only drives up the price by less than $50, so the $350 model is the base config. So the $350 build is actually equivalent to the $800 second Mac Mini model, which actually totals $1024 from Apple (2ghz/2gb/160gb/GMA950). A good price by any comparison!

The next budget Hackintosh configuration, a $500 model, includes a real video card (1080p-capable 7300GT) plus a second drive for Time Machine. The third $600 model includes that plus 4 gigs of ram, a PCI USB card for more ports, Bluetooth, and an internal card reader. So $600 can get you a nice basic Mac Mini with a 1.83ghz dual-core processor, 1 gig of ram, and CD-RW/DVD-ROM, OR $600 gets you a 2.0ghz dual-core Hackintosh with 4 gigs of ram, 2 hard drives, DVD burner, card reader, and USB PCI card. Oh and Bluetooth.

Glad Time Machine worked out for you! Patrick's IONetworkingFamily kext worked spot-on for everyone's boards so far, so I'm very pleased with that. Is that the one you used, or did you use the one from the original version of my guide?

Err, I'll probally just save up and build another quad..... :-) I think I'll wait to see what 10.5.2 does for us.

I used the files for TimeMachine from your original guide and time machine worked. That being said, my tests consisted of deleting a handful of text files and restoring them. Perhaps a larger more intensive test is needed. I deleted 130GB of files and am restoring! See how much faith I've got. It's restored half and going strong, 28 minutes to go!!! :)

I'm installing Windows on VMWare Fusion right now. This is great since my wife needs a few Windows Apps.

Anyways... All is working well here.. Still a few buggy issues with my video card and I've been too lazy to buy another 7300GT and see if that fixes things.

Games run solid on this mac, mac games that is.. FCP working all good but havent done a firewire test yet or import.

And I do have a usb pci adapter card I'm going to try. Still waiting for USB Audio DOngle.

Has ANYONE tried the optical audio? If no. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Err, I'll probally just save up and build another quad..... :-) I think I'll wait to see what 10.5.2 does for us.

I used the files from your original guide and time machine worked. That being said, my tests consisted of deleting a handful of text files and restoring them. Perhaps a larger more intensive test is needed.

I'm installing Windows on VMWare Fusion right now. This is great since my wife needs a few Windows Apps.

Anyways... All is working well here.. Still a few buggy issues with my video card and I've been too lazy to buy another 7300GT and see if that fixes things.

Games run solid on this mac, mac games that is.. FCP working all good but havent done a firewire test yet or import.

And I do have a usb pci adapter card I'm going to try. Still waiting for USB Audio DOngle.

Has ANYONE tried the optical audio? If no. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Yes, Optical Audio works fine, but again no Mute.

See that's the thing...for most people, the $350 configuration is just fine...dual-core, a couple gigs of ram, yada yada yada. But shoot..for $800 you can get a Quad with 8 gigs of ram (see the post on the other page for details)...for a little bit more cash you get a LOT more computer.

Firewire works great, I was importing 1080p video from my camcorder the other day and it's so quick it's crazy. I just fired up iMovie and there wasn't any lag or delays, everything was just instant, even at 1920x1200 progressive. I haven't tested FCS2 or CS3 or anything yet because I'm testing new builds daily, but once I get things nailed down I'll let you know how those fare as well.

I followed this tutorial and installed leopard over the weekend on a badaxe2 mobo with 8800gts graphics card. Couple of things: I prepared my usb stick on a real leopard and I had a really hard time copying IONetwork.. kext file becauseof the permissions. I found out that when I format the usb stick journaled it worked fine and everything copied perfectly with their chmods. Just something to keep in mind if you are a mac user.

everything worked out of the box like weaksauce12 said. Right now everything seems flawless. sleep/ shut down / restart everything is working. I amgonna start doing more test later. I am wondering if there is a wireless card that is proven compatible with this system. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Yes, Optical Audio works fine, but again no Mute.

See that's the thing...for most people, the $350 configuration is just fine...dual-core, a couple gigs of ram, yada yada yada. But shoot..for $800 you can get a Quad with 8 gigs of ram (see the post on the other page for details)...for a little bit more cash you get a LOT more computer.

Firewire works great, I was importing 1080p video from my camcorder the other day and it's so quick it's crazy. I just fired up iMovie and there wasn't any lag or delays, everything was just instant, even at 1920x1200 progressive. I haven't tested FCS2 or CS3 or anything yet because I'm testing new builds daily, but once I get things nailed down I'll let you know how those fare as well.

I've got FCS2 and CS3 Both installed. My CS3 Apps have never been faster. Motion boots with the flick of a switch.

Running VMWare Fusion & Windows XP now. Fastest Virtualization I've ever seen. I'm saving up and building another quad. Thats the final answer!

what type of motherboard are you using in the under $500 machine?

Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2. Currently around $60 anywhere, XPCgear for example.

In other news, I finally got around to trying CrossOver Mac. It's similiar to Parallels or VMware, except that it emulates Windows without requiring a license or a Windows installation. You don't actually run Windows, you simply install software like you *were* running Windows. It's a neat concept because you can pop open apps and stuff without actually having to run a VM window or Unity or Coherance. Here's the link: (demo is available)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

It has a growing number of compatible applications as well:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/

Mainly I wanted to run Office XP, my favorite edition of Office (powerful yet not too bloated), because I hate Office for Mac and don't care for NeoOffice or OpenOffice. With Crossover, I click the button and it's instantly loaded. I click on Word or Excel and bam, it's there in a second or two. In fact, you can keep the Windows icons in the dock (Word, Excel, etc.), so all you have to do is click on the Microsoft Word icon and it pops up a few seconds later.

Awesome and highly recommended!

Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2. Currently around $60 anywhere, XPCgear for example.

That's the mother board I used in two of the Hackintoshes I built (and mentioned above). As I said, audio works, ethernet works. I presume the Intel integrated graphics work, but I used a low profile 7300GS in one and a 7300GT in the other because I wanted to be able to run Motion and I wanted a DVI output. I've also used a SATA DVD drive and an IDE one.

Weaksauce, what does yours XBench at?

Patrick

That's the mother board I used in two of the Hackintoshes I built (and mentioned above). As I said, audio works, ethernet works. I presume the Intel integrated graphics work, but I used a low profile 7300GS in one and a 7300GT in the other because I wanted to be able to run Motion and I wanted a DVI output. I've also used a SATA DVD drive and an IDE one.

Weaksauce, what does yours XBench at?

Patrick

It's only half-built, I'm still tinkering with my BA2 lol

You can use DVI output with onboard audio if you get a $10 Add2N card from eBay. You can run dual monitors (VGA or DVI) or just use the DVI. If you use dual monitors it will split the onboard video, which is even worse lol. I will be using a 7300GT in the system however, along with a 2ghz Allendale. I'll let you know the Xbench!

It's only half-built, I'm still tinkering with my BA2 lol

You can use DVI output with onboard audio if you get a $10 Add2N card from eBay. You can run dual monitors (VGA or DVI) or just use the DVI. If you use dual monitors it will split the onboard video, which is even worse lol. I will be using a 7300GT in the system however, along with a 2ghz Allendale. I'll let you know the Xbench!

What case are you going for with that build?

I am still stuck on the installation. I borrowed a copy of Leopard from a mate over the weekend and made another patched DVD but it again failed at "the installer cannot validate the BSD..." so the only thing I can think is causing this problem is I am creating the image on a PPC G4 Powerbook. I am going to have to put Tiger back on my imac and create the image using that. Which is going to be a pain in the balls.

What case are you going for with that build? I am still stuck on the installation. I borrowed a copy of Leopard from a mate over the weekend and made another patched DVD but it again failed at "the installer cannot validate the BSD..." so the only thing I can think is causing this problem is I am creating the image on a PPC G4 Powerbook. I am going to have to put Tiger back on my imac and create the image using that. Which is going to be a pain in the balls.

Rosewill case with 300w power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811147024

If you have a USB or Firewire hard drive, just install Tiger on there instead.

Just for fun, if anyone wants to tinker with the Marvell SATA controller there are some instructions here: (NOTE: experimental, may screw up your system! have a backup! Also set your drives to ACHI)

http://pastebin.com/f6793af54

dotsam has been helping me out with those lately. I get as far as the controller being recognized in System Profiler and it even recognizes connected disks to a point, but it won't Initialize them and I get Disk I/O errors when I try to format them. I think this is pretty much where most people have gotten in terms of getting the Marvell SATA controller to work. So very, very close and yet so far away :(

Rosewill case with 300w power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811147024

If you have a USB or Firewire hard drive, just install Tiger on there instead.

Just for fun, if anyone wants to tinker with the Marvell SATA controller there are some instructions here: (NOTE: experimental, may screw up your system! have a backup! Also set your drives to ACHI)

http://pastebin.com/f6793af54

dotsam has been helping me out with those lately. I get as far as the controller being recognized in System Profiler and it even recognizes connected disks to a point, but it won't Initialize them and I get Disk I/O errors when I try to format them. I think this is pretty much where most people have gotten in terms of getting the Marvell SATA controller to work. So very, very close and yet so far away :)

I''m not doing anything that can screw up my system. But since you said that,

What is the best way to have backup of my system? Is TimeMachine going to cut it if I cant get back into my system?

What case are you going for with that build?

I am still stuck on the installation. I borrowed a copy of Leopard from a mate over the weekend and made another patched DVD but it again failed at "the installer cannot validate the BSD..." so the only thing I can think is causing this problem is I am creating the image on a PPC G4 Powerbook. I am going to have to put Tiger back on my imac and create the image using that. Which is going to be a pain in the balls.

Sent you a PM...