iPhone with 3G in 2008

Numberzz

23 posts in this topic

Today, the boss of AT&T just announced that the 3G iPhone will in fact, be available in 2008. Currently, Apple said that they haven't used the 3G chipsets because they draw too much power, and they do. At it's slowest, 3G is still faster than EDGE. If Steve Jobs announces a 3G iPhone during Macworld 2008, it's likely the improved iPhone won't be available until later in the year because of the FCC approval process.

Full Story

iphone_homescreen.jpg

Apple said that they hasn't used the 3G chipsets because they draw too much power, and they do

If I remember correctly Jobs said a 3G version of the iPhone at the moment runs for less than 5 hours (fairly pathetic). I guess they managed to get this notched up a fair bit if they are now able to have 3G incorporated in the iPhone by next year.

Oh wait 2008 is 1 month away. Did they mean 1 Jan 2008 by any chance? :)

So Apple is probably going to stiff customers again with the new iPhone. I'll be very surprised of apple offers some kind of transfer policy to move customers who bought the first gen phone to the new one.

Maybe they will exchange for free but I seriously doubt it.

Yes the N95 is great, I must say. It's like a full on computer in your pocket. The iPhone is just like...a full on Mac in your pocket! I still think this is awesome if you crack an iPhone, because we have a great 3G network here in South Africa, and the improved latency and speed of 3G is just be the missing feature right now. I'm sure Apple will implement a low power 3G chip or somehow keep the battery life acceptable.

Anyway, like I said, a cracked 3G iPhone is still awesome. All the new apps are already great...I can't wait for the SDK, then we'll have even better ones, and the iPhone will prove to be the best 3G cellphone platform.

So Apple is probably going to stiff customers again with the new iPhone. I'll be very surprised of apple offers some kind of transfer policy to move customers who bought the first gen phone to the new one.

Mac users don't get free processor upgrades everytime a Mac is revised...

Apple doesn't owe current iphone owners anything other than software updates. They bought the iphone knowing what it can do, it's a given with cellphones that a new version with more features will come out in the future. I don't see how 1st gen iphone owners are getting "stiffed" by a future product's development.

does verizon use 3G? i would actually get one if i could run it on verizon

VZW uses CDMA and EVDO.

I wonder if they will be moving to the 3G system as well.

Verizon's data technology is called EVDO, which IS a "3G" technology. 3G just specifies a generation or family of technologies. In a sense, it's the generic term for contemporary technologies that offer similar end results.

The reason that the iPhone won't work on Verizon is that the radio in the phone used to communicate with the cellular tower uses a different technology. It would be like trying to get FM signals on an AM-only radio. It just won't work. It is not likely that Apple is too concerned with making a CDMA (verizon's network) version of the iPhone since North America is really the only continent on the planet that has CDMA.

It is not likely that Apple is too concerned with making a CDMA (verizon's network) version of the iPhone

I'm sure they'd be going for a cdma phone if they weren't tied to at&t exclusively for 5 years.

since North America is really the only continent on the planet that has CDMA.

not true, japan and south korea have cdma networks (notice how most cdma phones, i.e. lg and sanyo, are from korean manufacturers). I believe parts of south america do as well.