Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of Dell GX620's here at my work and I can't get this efi to work. I know leo works on these boxes because it will boot and run fine if I leave the ToH DVD in the drive. I followed your guide exactly and when I reboot I get a blinky cursor... nothing more. These boxes are P4, 3ghz HT. The video is gma950 and 100% supported. Not sure what else to do. I've tried everyones guides and yours seemed closest to actually working. Can you help me out? Oh, I am also using efi_7.3

Sometimes ONE just trusts blindly............

I formatted my backup drive and followed the sequence BUT with 7.3 then used efi.sh, although i did it manually once, just for fun i editted it, and used it then dumped my boot_v5 HDD on it with CarbonCopyCloner(without formatting it and...........

7min Later i have a working system!!!!!!!!

In all my years (many) as a Dell Server Engineer i have NEVER seen such a keen and dedicated team of people!!!

Keep up the good work

Sticman

HI, Sorry for my inglish :)

I have 2 questiosn..

1- i folow the complete tutuorial.. but i have a " still waiting for root device" when i trie to install Leopard..( brazilmac dvd)

2- whit this tutorial also i need the fix for this hardware ( ich8r , NV 8800gts 320) ???

Thanks for you Help

sea_man

1) "still wating for root device" is a HW compatibility issue w/ OSX and unrelated to EFI --> read the HCL and any posts for your motherboard for a fix

2) You'll get better support if you move all your HW (non-EFI) install issues into a new thread (or post them in the correct existing threads..)

Update 2: Added second part of the guide. How to install with USB drive. And added pictures

I suppose that we dont have to replace the applesmbios and dsmos kexts with this efi? or do we?

If you could explain this to me

so if i get it right

i boot from my leopard (brazilmac patched) DVD

i format the drive using GUID

i unmount the drive

i run the efi (the terminal lines you have)

then i install?

plz answer to these questions

thanks and congrats for your efforts and patience

I suppose that we dont have to replace the applesmbios and dsmos kexts with this efi? or do we?

If you could explain this to me

so if i get it right

i boot from my leopard (brazilmac patched) DVD

i format the drive using GUID

i unmount the drive

i run the efi (the terminal lines you have)

then i install?

plz answer to these questions

thanks and congrats for your efforts and patience

You are correct

i am already booting from leodvdwhen i finish i will give feedback and my specs too(thanks again for the fastest response ever)wish me luck!!!

Edit

when i enter this

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

i get

dd: /dev/disk1: Resousce busy

is this right to show?

ps.disk1s2 is my disk i want to install

i am already booting from leodvdwhen i finish i will give feedback and my specs too(thanks again for the fastest response ever)wish me luck!!!

Edit

when i enter this

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

i get

dd: /dev/disk1: Resousce busy

is this right to show?

ps.disk1s2 is my disk i want to install

You need to UNMOUNT all the partitions on that drive of disk utility and unmount them all

AND please be patient and dont pm me right after you post. Its not like i wont see there is a new post in my thread...

You need to UNMOUNT all the partitions on that drive of disk utility and unmount them all

I dont know if this was the problem but i unmounted all the drives that i have in my pc (3 internals SATA and one external USB) and it worked

waiting for the installation to finish right now

AND please be patient and dont pm me right after you post. Its not like i wont see there is a new post in my thread...

Sometimes i catch my self acting like a ten year old

you are absolutely right

my mistake...

won't happen again

thanks again for your time to reply

hello need your help in put the codes manually from your tutorial but some how when i reboot , darwin wont load up. all i get is black screen and blinking __

i also tried your script. same thing.

the harddrive is a new sata 230gig

regards

Tell me exactly what you did so i can better help you

Well this is my report:

I formatted my Disk (its a 80GB Samsung SATA drive)

I installed the EFI from the terminal (only thing here is that i didn't reformat when my first problem showed up instead i unmounted all the disks and typed the commands from the beginning)

I installed the Leopard

BUT when i tried to boot from the disk the screen shows up grey for a second and reboots

Any ideas?

I have a p5w dh deluxe mobo, Intel Core Duo E6400 (2,13 Ghz), 3 GB Ram, 1 WD 2500KS (250 GB with vista in), 1 Samsung 80 GB (Where i am trying to install Leopard), 1 Seagate 80 GB (empty), 1 WD MyBook 320 GB USB (Storage), Sapphire ATI HD2600 Pro and Sound on Board

I hope these will help

THANK YOU

Weli my first hackintosh was a tiger release of Jas back in the days of 10.4.6 and it was more simple (just selecting the appropriate patch from the customize menu)

by postpatching you mean the guide of onetrack yes?

is there any difference from the guide that brazilmac did? (if you know of course)

because he had a p5wdh board too

Weli my first hackintosh was a tiger release of Jas back in the days of 10.4.6 and it was more simple (just selecting the appropriate patch from the customize menu)

by postpatching you mean the guide of onetrack yes?

is there any difference from the guide that brazilmac did? (if you know of course)

because he had a p5wdh board too

I dont think he installed EFI though..