Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

I am me !! Finally did it.Finally I got my second HDD booting with GUID following BJMoose's guide. A lot of work but effective.Now your dual booting guide, could you be more specific on how to make the extra partition for Vista?Does OSX name it boot_camp by itself?And when do we have to put back the boot0 , because Vista reboots a lot before it's finished.I really want to try to have a dual boot drive with OSX and Vista.Thanks.
No it wont. You can name it what ever. but be sure to name it so you know which to erase.Put the boot0 Back when you are completely done setting up vista.

I am me !! Finally did it

Finally I got my second HDD booting with GUID following BJMoose's guide. A lot of work but effective.

Now your dual booting guide, could you be more specific on how to make the extra partition for Vista?

Does OSX name it boot_camp by itself?

And when do we have to put back the boot0 , because Vista reboots a lot before it's finished.

I really want to try to have a dual boot drive with OSX and Vista.

Thanks.

I dont understand why you posted that here. :thumbsdown_anim:

i_am...me,

my post was supposedly a reply to wenecon's inquiry but his post actually addresses to you. sorry i overlooked that.

there have been a lot of users in this community, including myself find this thread very helpful.

not only you are a very knowledgeable guy but also you enthusiastically answer all the queries no matter

how vague they are sometimes.

we really appreciate your tremendous effort in helping this community and we do hope that you continue your valued work.

we salute you! :thumbsup_anim:

btw, my previous post has now been removed (by myself) from this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

k i have leopard on a partition and vista on a smaller partition after, i also have fixed it so leopard is the defualt os, now how do i get into vista? i tried yping rd=disk(vista partition disk) and it went into leopard still. am i suppose to have an option when i hit f8 to boot vista?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I have been searching the forums.. searching the site with google.. searching for my error, but can't seem to come up with anything.

I have a single sata drive with windows.

Here is what I did:

1) Use diskpart and created a new partiton

2) Installed OSX

3) I added chain0 to the windows boot loader

4) "HFS+ partition error"

Is it even possible to run efi/vanilla on an additional partition?

Thanks!

Hey guys.

I have been searching the forums.. searching the site with google.. searching for my error, but can't seem to come up with anything.

I have a single sata drive with windows.

Here is what I did:

1) Use diskpart and created a new partiton

2) Installed OSX

3) I added chain0 to the windows boot loader

4) "HFS+ partition error"

Is it even possible to run efi/vanilla on an additional partition?

Thanks!

Hi,

Well to start you have to have a clean blank drive... That is the only way to have GUID and EFI

I have read this whole thread for the last hour or so. I am going to try this method to get EFI working and install from a retail Leopard DVD. I want to get it as close to a real MBP as possible. I just wanted to say thanks to I_am _me for the guide and most of all your patience answering all the posts and being so easy to get a long with. My hat is off to you! Thanks!

I have a question anyone out there. Has anyone tried to just image a working MBP or MP and apply that image to a blank hard drive then install that hard drive into a laptop or PC? Just curious...sorry if that was answered somewhere else and I didn't catch it.

BTW....

I have Leopard working on my Dell M1530 with everything working except built in ethernet (Marvel Yukon) and shutdown. But working on it! ;-)

Thanks

Geekdad

I have read this whole thread for the last hour or so. I am going to try this method to get EFI working and install from a retail Leopard DVD. I want to get it as close to a real MBP as possible. I just wanted to say thanks to I_am _me for the guide and most of all your patience answering all the posts and being so easy to get a long with. My hat is off to you! Thanks!

I have a question anyone out there. Has anyone tried to just image a working MBP or MP and apply that image to a blank hard drive then install that hard drive into a laptop or PC? Just curious...sorry if that was answered somewhere else and I didn't catch it.

BTW....

I have Leopard working on my Dell M1530 with everything working except built in ethernet (Marvel Yukon) and shutdown. But working on it! ;-)

Thanks

Geekdad

Nothing will quiet compare to a MBP :blink:

That won't work.. you still need one hacked kext to emulate the SMC of apple computers.

I just got 10.5.2 installed off the reatail dvd (as vanilla as possible other than AppleSMBIOS and dsmos and removing AppleIntelCPU....) and am trying to resize my Leopard partition and Disk Utility just hangs. It Just sits there and spins so I waited like 20 minutes and still nothing changed.

Any idea whats going wrong?

-sdelano

edit: I just tried that same thing on my Macbook Air and it took all of a minute. Of course on my Hack I am resizing a 600GB partition and the one on the Air is only 80gigs, but I also have a quad core on the Hack doing the work. WTF?

I just got 10.5.2 installed off the reatail dvd (as vanilla as possible other than AppleSMBIOS and dsmos and removing AppleIntelCPU....) and am trying to resize my Leopard partition and Disk Utility just hangs. It Just sits there and spins so I waited like 20 minutes and still nothing changed.

Any idea whats going wrong?

-sdelano

edit: I just tried that same thing on my Macbook Air and it took all of a minute. Of course on my Hack I am resizing a 600GB partition and the one on the Air is only 80gigs, but I also have a quad core on the Hack doing the work. WTF?

Start in single user mode and type the first line it says and that will repair the disk..

Start in single user mode and type the first line it says and that will repair the disk..

The disc was fine actually. I just forced a quit in disk utility after 20 minutes and loaded it back up and no changes had occurred.

And I upgraded the kernel and SMBIOS kext and now I got it to split the disk okay so I have 3 300GB partitions. I want to install Vista on one, which I am attempting at the moment, but I only want it on a 100GB partition. Hopefully it will resize alright. If not, I guess I'll have to get creative.

-sdelano

edit: following the guide and formatting to FAT from OS X then formatting to NTFS from Vista Installer does the trick. I tried to format to HFS, then delete and format both in Vista Installer and that resulted in the error. Seems to be installing fine now so we'll see how it works out in a bit.

Is it install the leopard first, then back to the install CD & go to teminal to set, & install again?

No. Download files. put it on thumbdrive, boot of install DVD and go to diskutil format as GUID and do commands in terminal then install

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So much information and I am still reading and enjoying them. This is my first Hackintosh and it has been just great. Currently I have

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 / 2GB / 2 Hard Disk

Vista install on the 1st SATA Hard Disk

10.5.2 Install on the 2nd SATA Hard Disk with a MBR partition

Video Nvidia 8500GT 256MB PCIe working

Sound ALC880 working stereo / Audio in not tested.

Network working...

Would it be possible for me to install EFI V8 on the second drive and still have the dual boot with Boot Camp or Vista Bootloader. I know I should be able to go to the BIOS to change th boot order but that would be a pain and my system bios does not let me change the boot order by press F12 or ESC like some system do.

Thanks in advance and a great place to be.

SeeYee

Hey Guys...

I am...me, I read your instructions and got lost within the mix. Confusion is BAD.

Thank you for your insights but could you please shed some light on this.

"Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above."

Ok... here is where the confusion lies. How does diskutil partition the GUID scheme on the Leopard/Tiger DVD... it's ROM? :)

Could you please explain to me the following.

For installation from a Stock Leopard DVD:

How does PC boot from Leopard DVD when PC won't boot it? Will I have to copy Leopard DVD to a Hard Drive, manipulate (patch) files, reburn it in order to be read by a DVD Drive???.... in addition to preparing a blank GUID partitioned Hard Drive, with EFI 8. process you wrote, for DVD installation?

"No. Download files. put it on thumbdrive, boot of install DVD and go to diskutil format as GUID and do commands in terminal then install"

Will installing EFI 8 onto thumb drive allow Leopard DVD to boot?

Please help me... I'm going crazy trying to make sense of this.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Guys...

I am...me, I read your instructions and got lost within the mix. Confusion is BAD.

Thank you for your insights but could you please shed some light on this.

"Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above."

Ok... here is where the confusion lies. How does diskutil partition the GUID scheme on the Leopard/Tiger DVD... it's ROM? :)

Could you please explain to me the following.

For installation from a Stock Leopard DVD:

How does PC boot from Leopard DVD when PC won't boot it? Will I have to copy Leopard DVD to a Hard Drive, manipulate (patch) files, reburn it in order to be read by a DVD Drive???.... in addition to preparing a blank GUID partitioned Hard Drive, with EFI 8. process you wrote, for DVD installation?

"No. Download files. put it on thumbdrive, boot of install DVD and go to diskutil format as GUID and do commands in terminal then install"

Will installing EFI 8 onto thumb drive allow Leopard DVD to boot?

Please help me... I'm going crazy trying to make sense of this.

Thanks for your help.

Its very straight forward, do the steps all the steps in the first method in the install DVD. You have to adjust the commands a little though.

I followed the tutorial of i_am...me to install Leopard using EFI 8.0 . Everything runned fine, Leopard 10.5.1 was booting. Then I installed Vista, which makes itself automaticly as default boot partition. When the installation of Vista was finished I ran the Leopard install DVD to do the following command:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Now it boots automaticly to Leopard. The only problem I have is that I don't get the bootcamp menu. I only get the counting down of 5 seconds of Mac and then it boots to Leopard automaticly.

My question to i_am...me is, how do I get the Bootcamp menu working (cause now I can't boot to Vista), even when I already did that command? :angry: