PCI professional soundcards

boxeyes

24 posts in this topic

I have a few sounds cards and want to know if any of you out there have got any of these working on your " hackintosh " ?

i have these cards

EMU 1212

emu 0404

m-audio delta

echo mia

soundblaster fx

juli@

I installed logic without any problems it just cant find my driver .

can i manually install like on a pc ?

advice please ....

amd 3200 64bit

2 gig memory

20 gig harddrive

chaintech motherboard znf3-250

thanks

Well, giving the fact, that for example M-Audio FireWire 410 is much cheaper and it is good enough...

It depends on what do you really need is for.

And, Hagar its PCI.

There is version for PCI-e, but it is a bit different.

Revolution is a good home-theater card, but it is certainly not a pro.

There are drivers for Tiger on the official site, but i'm afraid it will end the same -> kernel panic.

There is only one way to know for sure.

Revolution is a good home-theater card, but it is certainly not a pro.

There are drivers for Tiger on the official site, but i'm afraid it will end the same -> kernel panic.

There is only one way to know for sure.

I don't get why official Mac drivers (Intel ones) don't work with OS X86 now that we have PC EFI and Vanilla kernel. I mean, why did they make PC EFI and vanilla to run on Hacs? I tought it was for official updates, drivers etc. So that ur PC is like a real mac...

I don't get why official Mac drivers (Intel ones) don't work with OS X86 now that we have PC EFI and Vanilla kernel. I mean, why did they make PC EFI and vanilla to run on Hacs? I tought it was for official updates, drivers etc. So that ur PC is like a real mac...

I have yet to see an official driver for a PCI card that is supported under IntelMacs. There is not a single IntelMac that has a PCI slot which is why drivers for PCI devices just do not work. There are a few rare exceptions but not many that I have seen.

Generally, forget anything pci for serious use.

excuse me? i have only seen a very select number of professional studio computers use anything other than PCI. i have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, other people i've seen rely on other cards, from companies like E-MU, but 95% of the time, you'll open a studio computer and find PCI...and these are the same studio computers that put out your favorite rock bands.

excuse me? i have only seen a very select number of professional studio computers use anything other than PCI. i have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, other people i've seen rely on other cards, from companies like E-MU, but 95% of the time, you'll open a studio computer and find PCI...and these are the same studio computers that put out your favorite rock bands.

Hagar was referring to Hackintosh. Basically there is a really small number of those cards actually working on hackintosh.

I, for example, have ESI Juli@ and whatever i did to make it work failed. I have either kernel panic, or not working card at all.

Motu 2408mkIII with PCI-424 PCI/PCI-X is spot on, all inputs and outputs active (can get 2ms on a P4 2.6e clocked to 3.2 with a very minimal cpu hit (4% idle in Live 6)), OSX PCI driver version 1.1.1 from the motu site no tweaking required.

There are so many variables that need to be considered before purchasing an audio interface for recording/music production. However, if you focus on these 3, you can narrow it down pretty quickly:

1. Application

What will you be using it for? You need to decide how much i/o you need. Do you need mic preamps? Does it need to be mobile? Do you have a surround monitoring setup? If you have only one microphone, a laptop, and maybe one outboard processor, then I doub't you'll want to go out and buy a RME HDSP 9652 PCI card, which has only optical i/o.

2. Quality

Yes, I know.. everyone wants the best quality right? But think about it like this. Are you going to be recording and mixing 24-bit soundtracks or doing mastering work? Most people won't need something too high-end, cause more than half the stuff you'll do ends up as a compressed mp3 or similar. I've worked in a commercial recording studio for a few years, and I was surprised to learn that radio stations are requesting radio spots to be delivered in compressed formats! :angel:

3. Budget

How much are you willing to invest? Obviously this does depend on the previous two, yet this will ultimately dictate what you buy by weighing your commitment vs. your wallet. If you have the extra cash, then you may want to get something with room for expanding i/o in the future, or something that gives you top of the line A/D converters.

Oh, and I forgot one that is really important to this thread, compatibility. Make sure it works with your setup, whether it be legit or hackintosh. I hope this helps.

what exactly to Logic studio users use then? Surely it can only be firewire.

I used to think like you.. but the industry's going to firewire/external so everyone can just use laptops.

Im not going to read the previous messages in this thread...let me just say one thing

PCI professional soundcards :(

Firewire is the way to go.

PCI puts out faster bandwidth than Firewire. Firewire is good for people fearful of going into there computers and are good for hot plugging. It's very easy to unplug and plug into your computer.

But other than that PCI is faster. Then also, it comes down to good drivers built for your pci sound card or firewire card.

Audio production companies should take special care of this area for optimization.

So in actuallity, Firewire professional soundcards :)

PCI is the way to go. I put stats at the bottom of post.

Also, this all depends on your needs. If you make music just as an hobby np for a PCI pro card , Firewire, and Maybe even USB. Even if you take it serious, it still depends on your needs, processor demands.

I'm thinking about getting this...

RME HDSPE PCI

47432_m.jpg

"The main features of the RME HDSPe PCI include:

* PCI Express interface

* For the connection of Multiface, Multiface II, Digiface and RPM Hammerfall DSP I/O-boxes

* Short PCI Express card

* Even lower latencies

* Direct support of HDSP TCO - Timecode Option Module

* 1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint Device

* 250 MB/s transfer rate per direction

* Secure BIOS Technology: card stays fully functional even when the flash process fails

* Output: IEEE 1394 connector, RME bus protocol

* Package contents: PCI card, cable 4.5 meter (15 ft) IEEE 1394a

* Supplied with drivers for Windows XP (multi-client operation of MME, GSIF and ASIO 2.0) and brand new Windows Vista drivers. Apple - Power PC and X86 (Intel) drivers, Core Audio and Core MIDI support"

The 250MB/s = 1 direction. Since PCI-E works in both directions , it equals 500MB/s.

Common Buses and their Max Bandwidth

PCI 132 MB/s

AGP 8X 2,100 MB/s

PCI Express 1x 250 [500]* MB/s

PCI Express 2x 500 [1000]* MB/s

PCI Express 4x 1000 [2000]* MB/s

PCI Express 8x 2000 [4000]* MB/s

PCI Express 16x 4000 [8000]* MB/s

PCI Express 32x 8000 [16000]* MB/s

IDE (ATA100) 100 MB/s

IDE (ATA133) 133 MB/s

SATA 150 MB/s

Gigabit Ethernet 125 MB/s

IEEE1394B [Firewire] 100 MB/s

* Note - Since PCI Express is a serial based technology, data can be sent over the bus in two directions at once. Normal PCI is Parallel, and as such all data goes in one direction around the loop. Each 1x lane in PCI Express can transmit in both directions at once. In the table the first number is the bandwidth in one direction and the second number is the combined bandwidth in both directions. Also please note that in PCI Express bandwidth is not shared the same way as in PCI, so there is less congestion on the bus.

http://www.directron.com/expressguide.html

bongfury,

Is your MOTU 424 card PCI-X or PCIe?

Last I heard, only the PCIe cards were working.

Thanks!!

It's PCI-X and is running with both tiger and leopard distributions, the most current driver is universal accomodating PCI, PCI-X and PCI-e

ugg. i take it all back. i dont even know *what* i did. but my mbox went bananas and was playing white noise.

i found out it's a firmware issue through the digidesign forums, updated it, but it's still not perfect using VLC or other video sources. must be a clock issue?

protools, logic audio, itunes seem to work perfectly. not being able to watch tv shows/movies is a bit of a drag...

• 3 weeks later...