Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

any news on this???

got this message allways when i reboot ,after the connection drops (self asigned ip etc etc)

AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 sky2 - SkY2Xmit - no free packets available for send

but i have drops also with my other onboard network adapter: RealtekRTL8110SC® PCI Gigabit LAN controller)

this one i use more and i have drops is : Marvell88E8056® PCI-E Gigabit LAN controllers

p5k premium has 2 adapters

i didn't try wireless

ANYONE???

i didn't have this in the past.. i don't know what happened now

or i had it as i can remember with marvell but not with realtek's

now both will drop the connection after some random time, or heavy network transfer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't had any luck getting my onboard NIC (88E1116) or RealTek 8139 card working without drops. The only thing that's worked for me 100% so far is to boot with cpus=1. It's unfortunate, but it's the only thing that really works for me until more stable drivers are released.

I have been having the network drop out after heavy network usages with the onboard lan on my Abit IP35-E motherboard until I recently installed a new gigabit switch. Previously I would have to restart to get the connection back. I copied a 3.5 GB file from 3 times from another computer w/o any network connection drops. Hopefully it continues w/o drops, but I'll be trying to stream some videos to my xbox360 and see if that kills the network.

Update: Well, so much for the gigabit switch fixing the issue for me. I only get infrequent network drops now, but it has happened a few times.

I tried both a RealTek 8139 card and a Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 card and both drop the connection after transferring 100-200mb over the LAN or downloading online. They work fine when using cpus=1, but otherwise they drop the connection. This is two cards I've tested. I ordered an Intel PWLA8391GT in hopes that I can get it to work or hack the Small Tree drivers.

This is extremely frustrating. I'm surprised no one has tracked it down yet. It doesn't seem to be related to any specific network card. Perhaps there's other problems here involved?

The problem is FINALLY SOLVED by installing the last "kalway 10.0.5 combo update" (find it as usual ;-) ! HOURAAAAAH!

Currently using Leopard 10.5.1 on my AMD.My Onboard LAN (RTL8139), which works perfectly on my Tiger (10.4.10) install, is having major problems in Leopard I get constant connection drops although it says I am still connected!Once the connection drops I have no alternative but to re-start!Even worse it just started the 'self assigned ip' problem. So the only way I can connect (for the lil while it stays online) is my manually setting the ip.I have tried the following solutions:IONetworking kext file from TigerPCGen 1.2 Drivers (which works perfectly in Tiger)Modified AppleRTL8139 driversOriginal AppleRTL8139 driversI have all but given up Would appreciate if someone could help me solve this problem and maybe the 'self assigned ip' problem too...
"kalway 10.5.3 combo update", sorry
The problem is FINALLY SOLVED by installing the last "kalway 10.0.5 combo update" (find it as usual ;-) ! HOURAAAAAH!
"kalway 10.5.3 combo update", sorry
Currently using Leopard 10.5.1 on my AMD.My Onboard LAN (RTL8139), which works perfectly on my Tiger (10.4.10) install, is having major problems in Leopard I get constant connection drops although it says I am still connected!Once the connection drops I have no alternative but to re-start!Even worse it just started the 'self assigned ip' problem. So the only way I can connect (for the lil while it stays online) is my manually setting the ip.I have tried the following solutions:IONetworking kext file from TigerPCGen 1.2 Drivers (which works perfectly in Tiger)Modified AppleRTL8139 driversOriginal AppleRTL8139 driversI have all but given up Would appreciate if someone could help me solve this problem and maybe the 'self assigned ip' problem too...

Since I cant try out 10.5.3 (AMD hack Pro), I picked up one of the Apple USB to Ethernet adapters, so far works great - will report back on how long it stays "alive" under very heavy usage.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this.

After having the network droppings myself, and nothing that i tried helped, i invested 28 bucks for the Apple USB Ethernet adapter. I had to download an external driver for that thing as osx didn't reognize it by itself.

But i havn't had anymore doppings so far. The largest amount of data i transferred in one session was somwhere around 50 gigabyte. Before, the droppings took place like after 250 - 400 megabytes transferred.

So if you can afford to buy an usb ethernet adaptor, do so and the droppings should go away.

Oh and by the way: there are boot camp drivers for that Apple thing, and it works like a charm under windows as well.

so long,

docd

EDIT: it also works under 10.5.3 (Kaly).

I fanned through 1 page of this...

the problem with the self appointed internal address, that's a common problem for that particular adapter when they go PHOOT.. which they go bad often.

I've had to throw away about 10 or 15 of those in my time, they will just fizzle out and when they do, they get stuck on the internal address.

Have the adapters worked under XP, or in another machine?

• 4 weeks later...

I am running a Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI adapter using the realtek 8169 Chipset.

I have the drivers installed from Kalyway 10.5.2

My settings are

1 Ethernet Config (not 2)

set to manual config:

under advanced tab / Ethernet Tab

Configure: Manually

Speed 10 BaseT/UTP

Duplex: Full Duplex

MTU: Standard (1500)

I have a 1 gig test file on my web server. If i download anything over 1000/ksec my internet connection dies within seconds. as long as my connect stays under that I can continuously download the file over and over without dropping connection. by using those settings I was able to cap my cards speed so it doesn't dump my connection. Hopefully this helps someone else and they are able to maintain a internet connection.

if you are having connection dropouts, wifi losing signal and available networks...

FiRST OF ALL

try to boot with "cpus=1"

it's weird but that corrects most of the problems.

it must be a Leopard issue.

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to ::1:631 (IPv6)

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to fe80::1%lo0:631 (IPv6)

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 (IPv4)

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to /private/var/run/cupsd (Domain)

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Loaded configuration file "/private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Using default TempDir of /private/var/spool/cups/tmp...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Configured for up to 100 clients.

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Using policy "default" as the default!

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Full reload is required.

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Loaded MIME database from '/private/etc/cups': 52 types, 49 filters...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Loading job cache file "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/job.cache"...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Full reload complete.

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Cleaning out old temporary files in "/private/var/spool/cups/tmp"...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to ::1:631 on fd 4...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to fe80::1%lo0:631 on fd 8...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 on fd 6...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Listening to /private/var/run/cupsd on fd 7...

I [14/Jul/2008:17:52:19 +0200] Resuming new connection processing...

Could that be the reason for connection drops?

If I click "Radio off" in my wireless utility and wait a few secs (until it says disconnected) and then put radio back on, then my connection is working again.

Same message every time my connection drops.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I have Acer Aspire 3690 with broadcom bcm440x ethernet+ d-link dsl-524t adsl router.

Leo4All v3(10.5.2)+kernel 9.4.0 from 10.5.4 combo update

Ethernet+Internet droped as told in the topic.PC is 192.168.1.2. Rourer 192.168.1.1

My solution was:

1.decreasing MTU in router to 1370.MRU=1492.Modulation  ADSL_G.dmt.bis

2. Turn on RIP in router.Turn on QoS with port mapping in advaced auto learning mode

3. net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx and net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx set to 0 (Disabling Apple Hardware SUM16 checksuming)

4.Set up MTU in Leopard to 1480.

5.Disable in torrent discovering of local peers.Set MTU=1480

No drops, iTunes plays shoutcast without rebuffering+vuze torrent downloading at the top of brandwith.

Have fun. Hugs from Ukraine :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx and net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx set to 0 (Disabling Apple Hardware SUM16 checksuming)

Could you be a bit more clearer on this step? I too am having network connection drops on heavy downloading and would like to try your method.

Could you be a bit more clearer on this step? I too am having network connection drops on heavy downloading and would like to try your method.

Easiest way is to use IPNetTunerX to set this.Or long way with system configuarations files editing.

After upgrading to 10.5.5 last methid failed to work.

Other thing, I`ve try to use "Restore to Factory defaults" button in OSX86Tools programs,then transfer al personal data from backup,except Network preferences.

It also works fine and no drops. only thing no info in About my Mac dialog, but it is not nessesary.

Hi guys!

I have Acer Aspire 3690 with broadcom bcm440x ethernet+ d-link dsl-524t adsl router.

Leo4All v3(10.5.2)+kernel 9.4.0 from 10.5.4 combo update

Ethernet+Internet droped as told in the topic.PC is 192.168.1.2. Rourer 192.168.1.1

My solution was:

1.decreasing MTU in router to 1370.MRU=1492.Modulation  ADSL_G.dmt.bis

2. Turn on RIP in router.Turn on QoS with port mapping in advaced auto learning mode

3. net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx and net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwchksum_rx set to 0 (Disabling Apple Hardware SUM16 checksuming)

4.Set up MTU in Leopard to 1480.

5.Disable in torrent discovering of local peers.Set MTU=1480

No drops, iTunes plays shoutcast without rebuffering+vuze torrent downloading at the top of brandwith.

Have fun. Hugs from Ukraine :P

hello! i have the same broadcom 440x as you

with the same problems but these instructions are confusing

could you help me by making a bit more clear how to follow them?

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got an nForce mobo with nF LAN, but that doesn't matter, because I've had the issue with an RTL8139, too. For me, it seems like the drop of connection is somehow connected to CPU timing: drops are minimized by turning off HPET and not using the speedstep kext (it made the connection instable).

P.S.: I'm using Voodoo Kernel release on Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.5 by Mysticus C's updater.

I am working on this on a NetGear GA311 (RT8169). I was using a 3Com card and got the netgear to fix the drop issue, but the issue remains. I have tried all kinds of manual settings on the connection, both from the computer and router sides, but so far every variation still drops out after a bit of traffic.

I will try some of the more hardcore fixes in this thread, and see what I come up with! the iPC 10.5.6 release solved all my other issues except this network one, so I hope I can get this taken care of!