Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

Same problem here. Worked fine from 10.4.9 - 10.4.11. Now this on 10.5.1 ;).

ASUS P5VD2-MX SE MoBo with on-board RTL8201C LAN.

I can't tell yet if it only does it while dling large files. It went once overnight while I was trying to download XCode 3, and a little while ago while I was hardly even using the connection at all.

just screw around, I search for all file that has the name firewall and moved it to desktop (if it goes wrong I copy it back)

- system>library>coreservices>ApplicationFirewall.bundle

- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall (need to enable hidden file)

- system>library>extensions>IPFirewall.kext

reboot and it turns out the ethernet works but it's giving the usual ip self-assigned address. tried to manual input ip, and no luck. then i return the

- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall

rebot, and it is working again (note:without the other two). have not tested long enough, but who knows.

I was really wondering why that (usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall) is required for the ethernet to work; because I though since maybe the problem was because of the firewall, I just get rid of it for good.

any thoughts?

just screw around, I search for all file that has the name firewall and moved it to desktop (if it goes wrong I copy it back)

- system>library>coreservices>ApplicationFirewall.bundle

- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall (need to enable hidden file)

- system>library>extensions>IPFirewall.kext

reboot and it turns out the ethernet works but it's giving the usual ip self-assigned address. tried to manual input ip, and no luck. then i return the

- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall

rebot, and it is working again (note:without the other two). have not tested long enough, but who knows.

I was really wondering why that (usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall) is required for the ethernet to work; because I though since maybe the problem was because of the firewall, I just get rid of it for good.

any thoughts?

so how did it go? did it fix the probelm?

Kalyway 10.5.1 network worked without a problem for close to a a month, I only started to get the network drop issue within the last week.

Gigabyte GS965P S3

I also have 4 gb of ram which was causing a problem so I set a maxmem of 3772 in the boot.plist. I don't remember having this problem before that.

Anyone else have the 4gb ram problem?

I also have 4 gb of ram which was causing a problem so I set a maxmem of 3772 in the boot.plist. I don't remember having this problem before that.

Anyone else have the 4gb ram problem?

Nope, having same problem after downloading torrents. However i have 3 Gigs of RAM running in DDR2

after further testing, it seems that it does not affect the result. it still doing the self-ip address after awhile. I figured out that socketfilterfw in the usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/ have to be there in order to work (ofcurse just for the a while then the connection failed). so I google socketfilterfw, and come to this interesting link. http://www.extrapepperoni.com/2007/11/10/l...ocket-firewall/

that come to my question, how to make this to allow anything and everything to go in/out? the thing is, it will deny some thing that was allowed IF, for example, the binary change.

Hi Guys,

I started up a post with a similar theme:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84849

Granted it has no replies, but I have been trying to diagnose what could be causing the ethernet drop issue. I found that when kalyway 10.5.1 is freshly installed (without running software update) the ethernet is solid and never drops. After running Software Update, which installed the current Security Update, as well as various iLife fixes, the ethernet drop issue begins. I was thinking about how the heck it would be possible that Ilife could cause these issues (as someone had suggested above). The only thing I thought was that what if somehow the iTuneshelper application was causing some sort of issue? Its a real long shot.

My original thought was that the security update was actually causing my problems. Unfortunately I am away from my machine for the day.

For those of you that have just started having the ethernet drop problem, did it start happening just after a software update?

Thanks

Edit: BTW Im running a C2D E6600 on a Gigabyte GA-965p-S3 with Kaly 10.5.1

C2D E6400 on Asrock 4coredual-sata2

This must be a chipset problem. I've tried it with an external LAN card (LNE100TX v4, tulip) , and the onboard Via Rhine II. Large LAN file transfers cause an almost immediate network drop (10 seconds at the most). Sleeping fixes it.

This is with a fresh Kalyway, nothing installed, not even audio drivers. Looks like a DMA/bus problem to me. Motherboard worked fine in Tiger.

Security Update doesn't seem to matter either way.

Really, really irritating, and unusable. Gonna go replace this motherboard soon (has given me serious problems performancewise in Linux) if no one has an answer. I've been screwing with this thing for 3 days.

Hi All,

As a follow-up I was running F5 bios on my Gigabyte 965p-S3, and I decided up upgrade to the newest beta F13 bios. Unfortunately sleep, shutdown, and reboot were not working with that, so I went to F12 (newest official non-beta release) and the machine has been running now for 3 days and the network is still up and running. Im not sure if the bios update has helped or not, but so far so good.

I have been testing it by running a fedora download and seeing if the download keeps going. Originally I let it run full speed, but for the last 3 days I had it running at 5k/sec up and down speed limitations, and it has kept going. I am going to unrestrict it, as the thought had crossed my mind that what if there is some sort of weird download buffer or traffic count that basically gets full and causes some sort of overflow? Im going to let the speed crank back up and see if it still works.

Interesting note, usually I would have to download large for a period of time to get this problem to occur with my GA-965P-S3. However, I insalled VMware Fusion yesterday and found that when I tried to share my ethernet connection with the virtual Windows Vista, the network would consistently drop almost instantaneously. Talk about frustrating lol... Oh and I am running the F12 BIOS and am having the problems so I do not think it is that, although I have tried messing around with various BIOS settings.

I use a ViaRhine network card on a 775Dual-VSTA mobo. I had this problem for a long time and finally fixed it today :thumbsup_anim:

I went to the network settings, then hit the advanced button. I went to the ethernet tab and for some reason, the automatic configuration set my Duplex to half-duplex. I configured it manually and set speed to autoselect.

I also changed the MTU to 1000 because it helped others, but I'm not sure this second part is necessary.

My network hasn't dropped since, and I think it has to do with the half-duplex vs full-duplex setting???

yeah, mine was 1500 as well, I changed that to 1000 but I did both changes at the same time and it fixed my problem. Plus, now I'm not 100% sure that it is even running at full duplex now, all I know is that it was at half-duplex before.

edit: wait, I set it to half duplex myself one to test out that before switching the whole thing to automatic again. So, I'm not so sure why my fix works but it does...

edit again: After some messing around, it was the MTU that had to be changed to 1000 in order for my internet to work. If I change it to 1500 it lasts a couple minutes and dies, but at 1000 it will go forever.

I went to the network settings, then hit the advanced button. I went to the ethernet tab and for some reason, the automatic configuration set my Duplex to half-duplex. I configured it manually and set speed to autoselect.

I also changed the MTU to 1000 because it helped others, but I'm not sure this second part is necessary.

My network hasn't dropped since, and I think it has to do with the half-duplex vs full-duplex setting.

Dude, this actually works, thank you! By now, my network should be down (it always drops when downloading big files with high speed). I/m downloading some torrent, a movie from video google and some big compressed log. Cca. 900K/s for last half an hour straight. Nice.

EDIT: hour later, still downloading and surfing without a problem at full speed.

Mine was perfect, solid connection, up for 4 days with no ethernet dropouts, and I varied download speed from 5k/sec limits both directions to unrestricted. It was completely flawless. Then I rebooted, and back to square one! It wouldnt make it through a download without dropping. The next thing Im going to try is having the download at 5k limits for the first 12 hours or so, and then throttle it up. Does anyone know if there is any brand of 3rd party ethernet card (pci or pciexpress) that does not have this issue? If it simply cost $25 to fix by buying an ethernet card, it might be worthwhile? Im guessing no such easy solution exists, but I figured Id ask anyways

Also, I found an interesting post at the bottom of this thread on Apple's forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6491715

Here is the post:

"I have the same problems, and have been ready to blame the router, except that the problem does not occur on my Dell or on my two iMacs running 10.4, only on my Powerbook running 10.5. It happens using either wireless or wired. It happens in Mail and in Safari.

I have five POP mail accounts and six SMTP servers. They intermittently go dead, with no apparent pattern. Sometimes one or more POP account will go dead, or one or more SMTP server will go dead. I use Mail's Connection Doctor to watch the connections come and go.

For me, the thing that works best is to go to Terminal and type

dscacheutil -flushcache

I created an AppleScript with the command

do shell script "dscacheutil -flushcache"

When things go dead in Mail or Safari, I run that script from the Script menu. "

The dscacheutil command clears out the DNS cache, and for this guy seems to fix the problem. I havent tried going to an ip address from the machine after the ethernet has "dropped", so Im not sure whether the issue could simply be a DNS issue. In that case the ethernet connection would be working, however Leopard's DNS somehow got screwed up. When I look at the Network settings in the System Preferences, it claims the network connection is fine, and I still have my normal IP address, not that 169.xxx garbage that is assigned when there is something wrong.

I intend to let the ethernet "drop" and then do some investigating, like pinging from the machine to other machines on the network, and pinging the hackintosh from other machines, as well as trying to log into my router via its IP.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, and when I use one of my older linksys routers with my Macbook running 10.4, I have this weird DNS problem where I have to manually type in the DNS of the router/dsl modem into the connection settings and then the internet works on the laptop.

I wonder if simply setting DNS (and maybe IP address) manually could be a solution to this problem? Could it be something as simple as some sort of DNS flaw in Leopard?

Also, what brand of routers is everyone running? I wonder if there is something there? I have also read somewhere that switching to and airport extreme solves it? Dunno about that one, but who knows, maybe there is something we all have in common and dont realize it?

if it drops, go to terminal:

sudo -s

kextunload /path/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

kextload /path/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

then you don't have to restart your computer.

thanks, works for me, except i unload/load /system/library/extensions/viarhine.kext at least no more rebooting to fix the problem.

using a linksys 4port ver.2 router, forget the model number, but it's their more popular 4 port thats been around for a few years, updated to newest firmware as well.

So the drop out happened today, after me setting the DNS manually, and manually setting IP address, etc...

It also seems to happen every time I stop physically sitting at the computer. Anyhow, I have now set the ethernet properties to half-duplex, 1000 mtu, and have kept it on manual TCP/IP settings.

I also found a post online where someone replaced the IONetworking.kext with the version from JaS 10.4.8, and apparently that fixed it?

Im willing to try anything at this point. Has anyone tried this?