Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

I just got Leopard installed and everything works fine except for my internet connection. I have a Linksys cable modem and Wireless G router. It does not recognize the ethernet connection. I tried to enter the IP addresss, but it wanted the router IP address but I don't have one. At least I didn't know what it is.

Do I need to download a patch or get the 10.5.2 update?

See picture to get my computer info. The ethernet card is a Intel Pro/100 VE Network on PCI Bus 1, Device 8, Function 0

post-175560-1202446140_thumb.jpgpost-175560-1202446132_thumb.jpg

So the drop out happened today, after me setting the DNS manually, and manually setting IP address, etc...

It also seems to happen every time I stop physically sitting at the computer. Anyhow, I have now set the ethernet properties to half-duplex, 1000 mtu, and have kept it on manual TCP/IP settings.

I also found a post online where someone replaced the IONetworking.kext with the version from JaS 10.4.8, and apparently that fixed it?

Im willing to try anything at this point. Has anyone tried this?

I have replace the IO with the ver. 1.5.1 (i forgot where i got it, don't know if it jas release or anything else). I still have drops. i did try to use IO from my powerbook with tiger 10.4.10. unfortunately, the ethernet does not work with this IO, so no connection from the start. maybe it is becouse its for ppc, not intel. a even tried to connect direct connection with wire ethernet to my powerbook g4. again, it strangely drop when i transfer file. it is just very frustrating.

if you like to try here is the link:

ver. 1.5.1 http://rapidshare.com/files/90127360/version_151.zip.html

ver 1.5.0 from powerbok g4 (ppc) http://rapidshare.com/files/90127632/versi...om_ppc.zip.html

i have NOT tried using IO from mac intel. can anybody provide us with one?

I have replace the IO with the ver. 1.5.1 (i forgot where i got it, don't know if it jas release or anything else). I still have drops. i did try to use IO from my powerbook with tiger 10.4.10. unfortunately, the ethernet does not work with this IO, so no connection from the start. maybe it is becouse its for ppc, not intel. a even tried to connect direct connection with wire ethernet to my powerbook g4. again, it strangely drop when i transfer file. it is just very frustrating.

if you like to try here is the link:

ver. 1.5.1 http://rapidshare.com/files/90127360/version_151.zip.html

ver 1.5.0 from powerbok g4 (ppc) http://rapidshare.com/files/90127632/versi...om_ppc.zip.html

i have NOT tried using IO from mac intel. can anybody provide us with one?

Actually I dont know why I didnt think of this earlier, but I have a Macbook running Tiger - I could just use the IOnetworking.kext from that, unless the JaS version is modified? Does anyone know if it is?

Mine happened on a U.S. Robotics Router. I have 2 Kalyway installs and this network issue only happened to one computer. It's doubt it's a router issue.

I think it has to be related with specific hardware configurations. Different methods seem to be solving the problem for different people...

The 775Dual-VSTA mobo had the problem. It seems to be an issue for a majority of the users of this motherboard. Why it's a majority and not all is confusing. Why fixes work for some, but not others, confusing again. ;)

rtomek - Which computer had the problem?

Also, the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3/DS3 also seem to have the issue. Also, Ooops on the router.. I realized I no longer have the Linksys WRT54g, but instead I have the Verizon Fios router, and it happens with the verizon router. Unfortunately I have no choice but to use the verizon router.

Actually I dont know why I didnt think of this earlier, but I have a Macbook running Tiger - I could just use the IOnetworking.kext from that, unless the JaS version is modified? Does anyone know if it is?

Hi, b16a2, could you post IOnetwork from the macbook? i like to try it.

my mobo is ASUS P5VD2-mx with via rhine kext .

I installed a version of the JaS 10.4.8 IONetworkingfamily.kext file. I backed up the exisiting IONetworkingfamily.kext, and then installed this tiger version. I then set the permission properly on the newly installed kext:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

and rebooted.

After installing this at first, the network didnt work any longer. Since I have the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, I have a Marvell Yukon 8053/8056 ethernet port. Tiger only has the AppleYukon.kext file inside the IONetworkingfamily.kext (in Contents/Plugins), where Leopard also has AppleYukon2.kext in addition. I first copied over the AppleYukon2.kxt from the kalyway leopard version, redid the permissions and kextcache, and rebooted, and no dice.

Finally I edited the AppleYukon.kext Info.plist file and changed the reference from 8053 to 8056:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

Then redid the permissions and kextcache and now the network is up and running again. I havent yet tested it enough to find out whether its having the dropping problems, but I figured I would throw this JaS 10.4.8 IONetworkingfamily.kext file and also my Macbook's Factory 10.4.11 IONetworkingfamily.kext file up on here so people would be able to experiment if they wanted.

The JaS file im attaching does NOT include the modifications mentioned above, but they can be done easily. I have simply attached the zip file I downloaded before experimenting.

I am attaching 2 files to this post.

1) JaS 10.4.8 IONetworkingfamily.kext

2) My Macbook's factory 10.4.11 IONetworkingfamily.kext

As a warning, make SURE you backup your existing IONetworkingfamily.kext, and make sure you know what you are doing!

Ok, well I will post an update on how my new IONetworking setup runs.

JaS_IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

10_4_11_IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

I had the internet up and running after I messed around with the AppleIntel8552.kext. But when I rebooted, it came back and told me there was soemthing wrong with it. So I tried to modify it again and it hasn't worked since. So I'm at a loss : (

I just had a drop with the modified JaS. Im now going to try the vanilla 10.4.11 version from my Macbook, modified to look at the 8056 chipset. If this doesnt work I am outta ideas :-(

thanks for posting the file, b16a2. i'm going to try it. one thing is, the tiger 10.4.11 in the real mac forum, some have the similar problem of network drops just as they upgrade from 10.4.10; when infact at 10.4.10 the network was perfect.. so a lot of people is blaming apple for screwing their os.

i'm still going to try it though, but still looking for the vanilla 10.4.10 IONetworkingFamily.kext. Anybody?

Well, I don't think the router used could be affecting the problem, because it seems like everyone who has posted so far is using a different brand or model router.

It's definitely a problem with the GA-965P-S3/DS3's... Until this problem is fixed, I have to continue to use Vista on my main computer =(. I'm just hoping that 10.5.2 fixes the problem, or that this free Kingston PCI network card I had from the 90's works in OS X lol

For me the solution was to add second ethernet connection with absolutely the same options as was my first (eg en0) so both connections are in network preferences but only second one is enabled. Works perfect. Have found this solution on some apple support forums. It's definitely 10.5.1 issue, nothing to do with hakintosh or AMD.

For me the solution was to add second ethernet connection with absolutely the same options as was my first (eg en0&en1) so both connections are in network preferences but only second one is enabled. Works perfect. Have found this solution on some apple support forums. It's definitely 10.5.1 issue, nothing to do with hakintosh or AMD.

this is good to hear. could you be a bit more elaborate. i'm not getting how you get two. maybe the link to that mac forum too. i'm kind of new here (hackintos). thanks for the share.

Home, at last. :)

Here goes details:

Go to System Preferences->Network.

Click "Create a new service" (A "+" sign in the bottom left corner)

Choose interface Ethernet, for name choose whatever (mine is Ethernet 2)

Setup exactly as first ethernet connection.

In first ethernet connection set configure "Off"

Enjoy!

This is how it looks.

post-140032-1202745004_thumb.png

Home, at last. :D

Here goes details:

Go to System Preferences->Network.

Click "Create a new service" (A "+" sign in the bottom left corner)

Choose interface Ethernet, for name choose whatever (mine is Ethernet 2)

Setup exactly as first ethernet connection.

In first ethernet connection set configure "Off"

Enjoy!

This is how it looks.

post-140032-1202745004_thumb.png

but the second ethernet connection corresponds to a second ethernet card? or you've made 2 connections for 1 card? in your hackintosh there are 2 NICs or 1?

can you put the link form the apple discussion board?