Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

Well tried PCGenRTL8139Ethernet over the AppleRTL8139Ethernet. My card is recognized and works. I still get the network drop out and self assigned problem. I believe that snagglep is correct that the drop out is related to the VIA chipset. My only solution to this problem is to unload and load the kext.

here is the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70064

I just had a network drop out but this time the firewall caused the network "time out" giving a odd ip address. Fiddling with the firewall control from Allow all to set access worked.

The PCGenRTL8139Ethernet very stable compared to the stock apple kext. Also allow unloading and loading with out a reboot.

Well b16a2 points out that he is using intel chipset. Is there anymore intel chipset users with this error?

I'm getting this same exact issue using an Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI adapter using the 8169 Chipset. I tried the Realtek1000.kext and it actually made things worse. The duplicate ethernet adapter worked for about an hour, and let me install iLife 08 Office 08 and Photoshop CS3 over a network, but crapped out on Software update. This is incredibly frustrating as I never had these issues in Tiger. Has anyone found a reason for this? Is this a Hackintosh issue or a valid Apple issue?

Edit: With my card *knock on wood* I made a duplicate connection, and turned it off, then in the main connection I set it as the following under the ethernet tab and in the past 5 hours it has not kicked out, and i've been doing some heavy network access.

Configure: manually

Speed: autoselect

Duplex: [empty]

MTU: Custom

So far, no drops, I was streaming HD video in and out, and installing programs across a network with no drops.

Same problem as described by other with Asus P5K-VM mb and built-in Marvell NIC. Running 10.5.2, but had similar issues with 10.5.1. Getting very frequent network shutdowns under heavy load with smb/http traffic. Here's the extract from syslog:

kernel[0]: AppleYukon: 00000010,00000272 skgesirq - AppleYukon: error - PCI express protocol violation error

kernel[0]: AppleYukon: 00000010,00000264 skgesirq - AppleYukon: error - unexpected IRQ Status error

kernel[0]: AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 skgehw - cppSkDrvEvent - SK_DRV_ADAP_FAIL

Extremely frustrating. Anyone was able to fix it for AppleYukon driver?

So i selected in "speed" box just "full duplex". Before it was "full duplex, flow control"

See if it helps. Will post if it drops.

It didn't help.

However I discovered something. Disabling PCI Delayed Transaction in BIOS significantly decreased the time until the connection drops. And I also have a VIA Chipset,

Board ASUS A8V VM SE.

VIA K8M800

VIA VT8237A

Perhaps there is a way to trick the latency. There was a fix for windows, for chipset VT 8235, the problem was audio stuttering on SB cards. Is there a way to write to PCR ( PCI Configuration Registers) in OSX ?

EDIT:

Anybody tried this? New Stormdrake Driver

I am trying it now, see if it works.

EDIT2:

I moved the card to a different PCI slot (closer to cpu) and now it seems to work. Also using Stormdrake's driver.

anyone notice if you use only one core,

there will be no freeze, network drops, and no tx error when under heavy load of network.

but if u use dual, or quad ...

network would drops and tx error are recorded in log under heavy load of network

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in becaues I am having the same problem.

My specs:

Quad Xeon x3220

Abit IP35-E (Marvell Yukon ethernet and Intel P35 chipset)

Leopard 10.5.2 with 9.2 Kernel

Using the the onboard ethernet NIC, I continously get network drop outs if I start to use VMware or Parallels. I have also noticed it during heavy network loads.

As a temporary workaround, I tried a Linksys WUSB54G (Ralink RT2500) and that seems to work. It was working great for a few days and I had no dropouts. I then was doing a massive file copy while doing a lot of work in VMware and the dropout appeared again. GRRR! Well, I thinkk I can live with this wireless connection with the less frequent drop outs. I'm hoping a solution appears soon.

A side note: I was experimenting with Leopard on an Intel 865g chipset with a Realtek LAN. I experienced drop outs on that too - and that was a Celeron D machine at 2.23 ghz. So...that's a single core machine. -_-

i have some other problem, i cant get connected to the network :)

I have installed vista and osx, it says that network works fine, but i cant reach anyone (while sending a ping i get "host is down")

I just never connected to a network with mac os, what do i do wrong?

Idont see neither network and interned(scheme is simple: just a proxy)

Could someone help me with a link, or a how-to, or just tell me where is my mistake?

@all with network issue:

check if you have some hardware/driver conflict.

I've the drop connection issue only if I install the driver for my wacom intuos3 tablet. If I remove those driver my realtek 8139 work flawless.

However I'm still searching for a solution.

Any luck with this filomur?

Upgrading to stormdrake didn't help. Then, something peculiar: the card (cheap rtl8139) stopped working under windows. Said something about too many resources allocated...then I moved the card to a different PCI slot and...it works under Leo too. It's up for 4 hours without drop. Will post if it will eventually fail.

EDIT: Another 4 hours passed...still online!

I resolved the problem on my Abit IP35-E board after doing the following:

1) In the BIOS, I swiched PCIE mode from 1.0a to 1.0

2) I removed the appleviaata and jmicron kexts

3) Removed a kernel flag in my boot.plist - maxmem=3072.

I previously had my machine set up to only use 3GB of RAM because of some random crashing I had when using the full 4GB of RAM. I read in another post about the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext that fixes that problem. It certainly did for me. As an added bonus, it also prevents network drops for me. I've been solid for some time now.

The AppleIntelPIIXATA kext thread is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

I previously used some of the Jmicron IDE ports but I ended up removing those devices and went all SATA. I've been solid ever since.

So, what i did to finally fix the problem was:

1. update to stormdrake driver > no fix at all

2. moved the card to a pci slot closer to processor > that fixed link dropping after an amount of time

3. In BIOS - changed PCI Latency Timer to 96 > that fixed link drop upon transferring large files over LAN

yesterday I transferred 12gb with no drop.

i also have connection drops

in network preferences it shows me that it use a self asigned ip so it can't connect and i need to reboot

i'm gonna try some things later

this happens both in realtek and marvell adapter (p5k premium=2 network adapters)

i didnt try with wireless cause what i really care now is lan

So, what i did to finally fix the problem was:

1. update to stormdrake driver > no fix at all

2. moved the card to a pci slot closer to processor > that fixed link dropping after an amount of time

3. In BIOS - changed PCI Latency Timer to 96 > that fixed link drop upon transferring large files over LAN

yesterday I transferred 12gb with no drop.

I tried the stormdrake driver and changed the PCI latency and the connection drops were more rapid and frequent than before!!!!!

I have a built in ethernet adapter so unfortunately couldn't change the slot...

I can't believe this problem hasn't been completely solved!!!!

I just don't understand dwhy my Tiger partition seems to have no problems whatsoever...

Guys,

I've been having this issue since day 1 with my tower. I've tried every fix on here and then decided to check out my logs. Apparently the internal firewall in OS X was blocking all UDP traffic, including essential services (don't know how this happened).

Mar 25 14:20:08 xxxxx ipfw[136]: 65534 Deny UDP 192.168.144.53:138 192.168.144.255:138 in via en1

I just changed the firewall settings to 'allow all' and it's working from both of my ethernet cards. I'm currently running 10.5.2 server, fully upgraded (including all of the fixes mentioned in this forum). I'll repost later no matter what (disconnect or not).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR NON-SERVER

Delete com.apple.alf.plist (restarts apple firewall)

-restart

Open System Preferences, and set firewall to "allow all incoming connections"

Renew DHCP Lease

optional....go back to firewall and "allow only essential services"

-restart

ON SERVER

differs, change firewall settings in Server Admin-->Firewall-->Settings

Hope that works for others too!