Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116

MikeInNs

223 posts in this topic

I'd really like to get this working because I don't see a point in buying another NIC when the 88E1116 is so capable...

so do I

Is this little project going anywhere?

Unfortunately this project is stalled since the original developper has not been around for a long time. And I don't think someone else has the sources...

hmm this might just be luck

but i got it working with no hangs and dual core by

1. moving all the stuff out of ionetworkingfamily/contents/plugins

2. putting nforceethernet there (offcourse chown and chmod)

3. in -s mode, remove all the kextcaches (/S/L/Caches /S/L/E/Caches /S/L/Extensions.mkext)

it doesn't work if you just supply -f to reload the drivers, at each boot, it must have NO CACHES

if there are caches, it will hang

i also disabled firewire,serial port,jmicron esata in bios

hmm this might just be luck

but i got it working with no hangs and dual core by

1. moving all the stuff out of ionetworkingfamily/contents/plugins

2. putting nforceethernet there (offcourse chown and chmod)

3. in -s mode, remove all the kextcaches (/S/L/Caches /S/L/E/Caches /S/L/Extensions.mkext)

it doesn't work if you just supply -f to reload the drivers, at each boot, it must have NO CACHES

if there are caches, it will hang

i also disabled firewire,serial port,jmicron esata in bios

Are you on Leopard? post specs pls =)

• 2 weeks later...

hello...

is something going on for a new release of nforceEthernetController.kext ????

i have the striker extreme mobo with that marvel ethernet controller....

the .kext si working for me....but not stable.....i get kernel pani when im using safari and want to do some download!

and sometimes i have inet and sometimes not....thats very sad....!

HOPE THERE WILL BE SOON A FIX.....but otherwise THANK YOU FOR SPENDING TIME ON THIS ETHERNET CONTROLLER :(

Would it be possible for someone to post the beta that was in the works? The forcedeth driver doesn't even light up my router and this one actually allowed the network to function (despite the panics under load). Please send me a msg or post it here. Thanks a million!

Would it be possible for someone to post the beta that was in the works? The forcedeth driver doesn't even light up my router and this one actually allowed the network to function (despite the panics under load). Please send me a msg or post it here. Thanks a million!

Never mind, I fixed it myself................. By buying a PCI NIC for $12. if anyone else is fighting with this :) thing and Leopard, and you have a free PCI slot, I highly recommend you stop pulling your hair out and go buy a NIC. FWIW, the card that I bought is a StarTech 10/100, model # ST100S -Realtek RTL8139 chipset. It is 100% Plug and play out of the box. No driver installation, hacking, kext modding, or any BS needed for it to work. Good luck ;)

i have stopped to wait for the release atm ...

although i have the usb adapter in hand,

but that would cause kernel panic for multi-core..

by now, i use the usb adapter in parallel desktop and surf the net ...

not a solution but a remedy x(

that would be great if i can bridge the xp's connection to mac,

but that don't seem possible lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i have a working install of Leopard AMD 10.5.2 (zephyroth, with EFI and company).

I tried this driver on my ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE, which has 570 Nforce controller.

It works, but every time i try to download something the system freezes and asks for reboot.

Any idea?

Thanks.

i noticed apple has their own version of AppleYukon2.kext inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, so i removed it and insert the nforce kext in there.. then i disabled PEG in the bios, its something to do with pci-e overclocking, the graphic card and marvell chip are runnin on pci-e.. its a lot stable then before.. it still freezes once in a while.. but not like before.. i used to get kernel panic every 5 minutes..;)

Hi Guys,

i have a working install of Leopard AMD 10.5.2 (zephyroth, with EFI and company).

I tried this driver on my ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE, which has 570 Nforce controller.

It works, but every time i try to download something the system freezes and asks for reboot.

Any idea?

Thanks.

try to add "cpus=1"

I decided to try this out today. I installed everything and it shows that i have an AirportExpress Wireless connected instead of two ethernets lol. It shows the airport and en1 as i have a PCI taking en0. This is kinda odd. Umm from what i noticed it ran well, then i went to my class at around 6 oclock and when i got home it had froze. So i decided to Try it out again. I once again surfed then net for about 5-10 minutes and BAM the keyboard and mouse froze, but i saw that one of yalls avatars was still showing animation so the comp didnt freeze :P but now im stuck if you guys want me to help you figure out everything lead me in the way. Im a MAC idiot so i dunno everything. I'm good with windows, so bear with me. Umm i just installed LEOPARD 10.5.1 i think the other day, im using iAtkosv1.0r3 + KalywayIntelComboUpdate 10.5.2. The ethernet is up and running though. Just gotta iron out kinks. I have not done anything other than run the initial install. So if theres anything i need to do lemme know.

Thanks for the Driver BTW!!!

~SilverSix311

i noticed apple has their own version of AppleYukon2.kext inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, so i removed it and insert the nforce kext in there.. then i disabled PEG in the bios, its something to do with pci-e overclocking, the graphic card and marvell chip are runnin on pci-e.. its a lot stable then before.. it still freezes once in a while.. but not like before.. i used to get kernel panic every 5 minutes.. :censored2:

huh... whatta ya know. interesting discovery Vincent , wish i had gotten the chance to play around before i shipped my 680i off.... I'll try again when i get my 780. i believe they use the same LAN chipset. (i think)

I decided to try this out today. I installed everything and it shows that i have an AirportExpress Wireless connected instead of two ethernets lol. It shows the airport and en1 as i have a PCI taking en0. This is kinda odd. Umm from what i noticed it ran well, then i went to my class at around 6 oclock and when i got home it had froze. So i decided to Try it out again. I once again surfed then net for about 5-10 minutes and BAM the keyboard and mouse froze, but i saw that one of yalls avatars was still showing animation so the comp didnt freeze :blink: but now im stuck if you guys want me to help you figure out everything lead me in the way. Im a MAC idiot so i dunno everything. I'm good with windows, so bear with me. Umm i just installed LEOPARD 10.5.1 i think the other day, im using iAtkosv1.0r3 + KalywayIntelComboUpdate 10.5.2. The ethernet is up and running though. Just gotta iron out kinks. I have not done anything other than run the initial install. So if theres anything i need to do lemme know.

Thanks for the Driver BTW!!!

~SilverSix311

MikeInNS is done i think, he hasn't answered since november of 2007

This project nforceethernetcontroller project was picked up by iNOOB but i've not seen any results different than what i experienced with MikeInNS's version. I'm guessing that as time goes on a suitable stabile driver will be developed as more people own this lan chipset. who knows....

i've experienced similar usb drops. I'm not entirely sure what mine are the result of. I am not using my onboard lan anymore except to test ethernet controllers and am using a PCI nic for ethernet for some peace of mind. I've tried a myriad of things not limited to: EHCI usb 2.0 fix, many different smbios kexts, system kexts, kernels....

at any rate, and i HATE this answer. but for me at least on my 680i, the work-around to the usb drops for the time being was to boot up with the cpus=1 boot flag at the F8 prompt.

booting with one core didn't solve anything for me with regards to the nForceEthernetController tho, i was still locking up under load. :)

cpus=1 should fix it, it might be meDevils sata kext causing you to freeze. i gave up on this driver and went with a usb ethernet. even after that i was freezing so i looked at my activity monitor while downloading and noticed that my diskusage wasnt moving when it froze i connected my SATA -> IDE controller and its all gravy now =)

Success. I was able to get it to work on my computer running Leopard.Here is what I am runningGigabyte Ga-M57SLI-S4Athlon 64 x2 4200+2 gig ramNvidia GeForce 7900 GS 512mbNow I just need help getting my graphics working correctly so I can change resolution and get it to recognize my audioWell, I thought it was working but the moment I try to download any updates to Safari or anything the screen darkens and a message appears saying I need to restart my computer. I have no clue how to get the updates downloaded because I tried both through update and also from the download site and the same thing happened. If anyone can help I will appreciate it.