Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116

MikeInNs

223 posts in this topic

anyone here experiencing freezes with this driver? I can move the mouse when I get into the login window but when i type in my password sometimes my mouse wont work. When I copy something it usually just freezes. iStat menu still goes on and shows core activity and the dock icons change I cant use the keyboard and mouse. No error or nothing :(. This didn't happen with my wireless atheros, Ive taken out my airport atheros and deleted everythign related to it. When I remove the nForcekext, it works fine. No freezes.

I'm trying to get this working, but I have a strange problem.

I have the evga 680i SLI board. I enabled both NICs in BIOS, but when I restart, System Profiler shows en0 and fw0. When I try to go to Network in System Prefs, it just hangs and I have to kill prefs. I tried disabling firewire (which doesn't seem to work) but that didn't fix it. Disabling the NICs and Firewire and it still shows en0 and fw0 and Network pref still hangs.

Any ideas? Its been doing this since Leo install, with or without this driver.

EDIT: I have resolved this issue. The BrazilMac post-patch renamed my IONetworkingFamily kext and didn't replace it with anything. Naming it back solved the hang and I now have firewire and both network adaptors showing (but ethernet still not working.)

EDIT 2: I have it sort of working... I have en0 working with DCHP, en1 requires me manually entering the IP. However, on either connection, it will kernel panic after a bit of use. :( I have no forcedeth or any other networking drivers installed but this one. I tried unplugging but it didn't help.

Ok, it seems to stop kernel panics if I disable a core in my BIOS, but then the OS is all stuttery. Hrm.

I had one kernel panic once when I tried to play an iTunes store preview but haven't had one since. I sorta just dealt with it under the "It's a hackintosh, it'll happen every once and a while" file. That said, if it recurs I'll be sure to let you guys know.

I had one kernel panic once when I tried to play an iTunes store preview but haven't had one since. I sorta just dealt with it under the "It's a hackintosh, it'll happen every once and a while" file. That said, if it recurs I'll be sure to let you guys know.

If I have both cores enabled, it will kernel panic almost immediately after trying to download anything. B)

Thanks for all your guys input! This really helps in getting a 'stable' driver.

Reading through the topic it seems in general the driver works although some have issue's with kernel panic's and 'stuttering' etc. I will take a closer look at this. For example the driver kinda cheats with error detection and how it deals with timeout's which could cause stutters and perhaps kernel panics as well.

If I have both cores enabled, it will kernel panic almost immediately after trying to download anything. :thumbsup_anim:

@Kiamo: Do both your ports have a cable connected? I think things might go horribly wrong if both PHY's are active. Didn't really test that scenario...) So if you do, try just using one port and let me know how it goes. I am running dual core (both cores active), although Tiger, but I haven't got a kernel panic yet.

My system knew that one port was connected and the other had a cable unplugged. But when I log in and do something that strains the processor, it freezes although the istat menus monitor still detects cpu usage. I can't use the keyboard or mouse then when using the driver. When I remove the driver, its normal again for some reason.

Thank you for this driver. Installing worked like a charm, did it incluiding unplugging the power cable (well flipping the switch). Great job, having no ethernet was one of the major drawbacks of osx86 for my setup, this sheds another light on things! I'll report if any problems occur. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for all your guys input! This really helps in getting a 'stable' driver.

Reading through the topic it seems in general the driver works although some have issue's with kernel panic's and 'stuttering' etc. I will take a closer look at this. For example the driver kinda cheats with error detection and how it deals with timeout's which could cause stutters and perhaps kernel panics as well.

@Kiamo: Do both your ports have a cable connected? I think things might go horribly wrong if both PHY's are active. Didn't really test that scenario...) So if you do, try just using one port and let me know how it goes. I am running dual core (both cores active), although Tiger, but I haven't got a kernel panic yet.

I have one disabled in BIOS, and the other is enabled and is the only one with a cable plugged in.  Having both active doesn't help.

By the way, I just got a kernel panic with only one core enabled when I tried to download something, but that's the first one from that

EDIT: My mistake, I had the 2nd core on after a restart, sorry.

I'm having issues like andyph666, actually. On some things my keyboard and mouse freeze up (though I think its more than that freezing - iTunes continues to play though). Strange response to the drivers... hmm... I tried to load a live cam feed in safari and it happened.

Large downloads may do it as well.

I'm having issues like andyph666, actually. On some things my keyboard and mouse freeze up (though I think its more than that freezing - iTunes continues to play though). Strange response to the drivers... hmm... I tried to load a live cam feed in safari and it happened.

Large downloads may do it as well.

yea it freezes, but other things still respond like istat and the dock. But cannot move mouse or type.

Can you tell me how often this happens and what you are doing at the time, and do have usb or ps2 keyboards.

I am thinking this has to do with the PCI bus not being released properly, I will take a look....

well sometimes it happens straight away after logging into the computer. Then when I copy a large file it starts to freeze. The transfer bar says its doing something but the bar never increases. Then the keyboard and mouse just doesnt respond and I have to reboot.

mine isnt giving me any freezing but i do get a grey screen after a few min saying please restart...

That is a kernel panic.  Do you think you could turn a core off and see if that fixes it?  I have that problem, but disabling a core resolves it.  I don't mean it as a permanent solution, more to narrow down the problem.

That is a kernel panic.  Do you think you could turn a core off and see if that fixes it?  I have that problem, but disabling a core resolves it.  I don't mean it as a permanent solution, more to narrow down the problem.

i prefer not to turn a core off due to sluggish performance lol but it does run quite well and has only paniced on me twice now....

I'm using a usb keyboard and mouse. At the moment im reinstalling everything. But before I got the stops sometimes when I just log into the computer without starting anything at all. Then sometimes it would work fine until I copy a large file from an external harddrive. I can get online fine. It freezes and I can't move anything, Ive tried different ports too for the mouse etc.