Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116

MikeInNs

223 posts in this topic

hello mike,

i was wondering, why would u not post the beta as well, so more people can test it and give u more feedbacks therefore u can tweak quicker?

just suggestion,

thank you, and good luck with the development...

if you want it PM him, he isnt hiding it or anything

Ok, after looking at the source code a bit more I think what is happening is that we have a 'multithreading' problem.

Why?

- Working on 1 core works.

- Several applications usings the NIC can cause problems (1 app. in general works).

- Leo deals differently with multi-threading then tiger. (Tiger working fine)

- Source code is not 'multithreading safe'.

Currently the driver supports multi-threading, although in a very wacky way, so what is happening is that two applications are writing to the output queue at the same time, normally a locking mechanism is in place which will prevent this, but in our case it is allowed and resulting in freezes and kernel panics etc.

The plan is to bring the driver back to 'single threaded' mode and hopefully get this issue resolved.

What I am looking for are some volunteers who are experiencing problems, and have of course have Leo. installed who are willing to test the driver. If you are, send me a PM with your e-mail address, I don't want to post the driver here yet because it is all very experimental. I will make the changes later on tonight and when I am done, e-mail them out.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, also be sure to check out the new IOEthernet framework from the apple developer site. I've noticed that a buffer is free() where in tiger it was not (a buffer passed by the forcedeth driver).

Let me know if you need help with this!

Best regards, Domenico.

if you want it PM him, he isnt hiding it or anything

no mate, i didnt say he is hiding or anytg, i just suggested it would be nicer to receive more feedback, bcoz it would give more input to development, i might be wrong or told my suggestion in a wrong way...

other than that it s cool, i waited long enough already if it doesnt work, it s not the end of the worl, can buy 10+ $ nic with working id, can solve it as well, just trying to help in brain storming...

I use this extension on OsX 10.4.11 Tiger with the Semthex 8.8.1 kernel... and i'm experiencing the same freezes. So it seems its not only a problem with leopard.

they look random, but most of the time occur during or a minute after some heavy network load. (till now: when itunes (network shared music) and safari were used at the same time.

MB: Asus Striker Extreme (680i chipset)

CPU: intel C2D Q 6600 (all 4 cores enabled)

I installed the following modified kexts:

- Titan (for geforce QuadroFX 3500)

- Apple nforce ATA : removed SATA dev-id, else is crashed osx.

- Nforcenetworking: gives a warning at startup that the device is not known to work...continuing anyway

- AppleAzalia

maybe I'm looking over something, but the problem seems to be the same.

I'm quite new to this whole hackintosh thing.... trying to get my Tiger stable before installing leo

If i can help...give me a sign....

I use this extension on OsX 10.4.11 Tiger with the Semthex 8.8.1 kernel... and i'm experiencing the same freezes. So it seems its not only a problem with leopard.

You're using 10.4.11 with the 10.4.8 kernel? That's messed up....

GAH! This kext worked precisely once for me. Just enough to whet my appetite! :P

I'm really not sure what was different that particular boot. It was probably the only boot where I wasn't actively trying to get the kext to load! :( I had to go into the Network prefpane to change my DNS server on my Airport connection and what did I see? There was an entry for my wired NIC! Even though it claimed to be unplugged, I tried to renew (well, obtain, really) its lease anyhow. And… it got an address!

The performance was excellent. Well, better than Airport drivers for my BCM card anyhow. :D It seemed to have issues after about 4Mbps. (I didn't get a chance to see if it was artificial packet loss or what. The network transfer ended too soon! :D) Needless to say, using WPA doesn't give me transfers of anything near 4Mbps, so I'm eager to see a truly working version. :D

The big things I noticed were that my MAC is reversed (See below), and it can't sense whether I have a cable connected. I really suspect the latter is the main cause of my general failure to use the driver.

Now, howsabout some info from me? ;) I have an nForce 430 MCP61 (10DE:03EF) (RTL8201N PHY). And here is the ifconfig output, as of this moment:

en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether ac:20:55:b9:1b:00

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive

supported media: autoselect

Note that the byte order is reversed on the MAC address. I'm running Uphuck's 10.4.9 on AMD, if it matters.

If you're looking for someone with an RTL8201 PHY to do some testing, please feel free to contact me. :)

But, definitely keep up the great work. This is the first driver that's been able to get a DHCP lease at all. (Even the ones out there which get the byte order and media status correct seem to get something else wrong…) Thanks. :D

Here's a follow-up to my previous, lengthy, post that may help some of the more knowledgeable out there. And as this is most certainly a kludge that may or may not work reliably, I'll not help people do this if they can't figure it out. (Except for maybe Mike! :P )

I can now reliably get online with my NIC. After posting above, I got the idea that just maybe the NIC is always available, but unaddressable, since it's in the ifconfig output. And, sure enough, I'm using it now! :D

All I did was give en2 an IP manually (via ifconfig, and on the correct subnet!), then I went into the Network prefpane and set the IPv4 address to none, applied, then set to DHCP. Voilá! :D I have a static IP. (Though the prefpane shows that I should have acquired a "normal" DHCP address. I can't get my normal lease since my MAC address is backwards. I'd fix that with ifconfig, but I can't acquire a lease at all. *shrug*)

I can't use my DHCP-assigned address this way. This irritates me. :D But, it IS a workable solution! :D Hopefully that helps Mike out if he finds my above post odd. Since the workaround's far more odd, but it can point to a distinct code path! :D

Since I reboot so rarely, I can live with this for now. And, if necessary, use this post as a reminder. B)

That leaves one last thing before I have a Hackintosh with drivers for everything: my nForce 430 (6150) video! And that looks to be an impossible dream since MacVidia 1.0.7 isn't available anywhere anymore. (And that's apparently the only version supporting this chip!)

Again, Mike, if you need a tester, I'm game. I'm probably the only poster here who sits on a /12 as a matter of course, with multiple IPs assigned to the Mac. (Hence my desire to get rid of this "spare"!)

And, finally, for comparison with the above, my "working" ifconfig output:

en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 172.16.32.88 netmask 0xfff00000 broadcast 172.31.255.255

ether ac:20:55:b9:1b:00

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive

supported media: autoselect

And, note that there's always the chance that you'll have to add a default route if the prefpane doesn't do it automatically from the lease!

so you didnt have any problems jae-v? i found a nifty sata to ide adapter on ebay. this means i can have near sata perfomance on my hack, and i don t have to ivnest in a {censored} ide drive lol

nah not on tiger...lol lemme know how that adapter works out for ya

Hello.. plz help.. When i go to hardware ids tab in winxp device manager i get the following    {1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5}\NVNET_DEV0269.This seems like a strange device id..I am using ASUS M2NPV-MX board much same like the M2NPV-VM board.Both use External Marvell PHY What device id should i insert in the kext???ThanksUPDATE...ITS WORKING NOW!!!!!I inserted the "0x026910DE" device id and it worked..Thanks Thanks Thanks

Hello, I'm having some freezing problems with this driver on leopard.. My computer froze 2 times while surfing on opera. Sometimes it works fine & sometime doesn't.

Is this due the driver or opera??

EDIT!!!

It froze 3rd time on safari just after i posted this...

I am using this device id "0x026910DE".

I have to switch of the power for 30 seconds to make this work.

Plesae help..