Does piracy make us bad people?

(MoC)

Does piracy make us bad people  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

71 posts in this topic

I have mixed feelings myself. I think that we are not bad people for downloading software that does not have proper protection because at the end it is the company's fault. But sometimes i do feel a little guilty. :censored2:

Please post your opinion and keep posts clean!

Wow: IMF looks peculiar on the iPhone

Since when did the creation of 1s, and 0s become evil? Someone explain.

I think that we are not bad people for downloading software that does not have proper protection because at the end it is the company's fault.

That's {censored} retarded pal. I go into the local supermarket, and I steal a magazine. Sure, the magazine company and the supermarket lost money, but it's not my fault! The supermarket should have better protected it's items! (Now I realize with software the company doesn't actually lose money, but the don't get the money they should be getting)

This is one argument that I cannot stand. Proprietary computer software is no different than any other product. Someone had to go to work to make it, and they make a living by selling it. When someone pirates software it is stealing. That's indisputable.

It isn't it's stealing those 1's and 0 that makes you a bad person.

And for those that think it's ok. Could you honestly go up to the people that worked hard that you stole the software from and tell them I illegally got your software?

I didn't steal it, I umm borrowed it :(:D

I do not think we are bad people for refusing to pay what the owners are charging for their products. I do hope is piracy affecting the sales of softwares and DVDs because hopefully, that might finally motivate the owners to adapt their pricing policies. I believe consumers downloading their software and DVDs from the Internet should be seen as a

public outcry for change, rather than the consumers turning into bad people that have no consideration for the copyright owners. We are good people!

Paws

I do not think we are bad people for refusing to pay what the owners are charging for their products. I do hope is piracy affecting the sales of softwares and DVDs because hopefully, that might finally motivate the owners to adapt their pricing policies. I believe consumers downloading their software and DVDs from the Internet should be seen as a public outcry for change, rather than the consumers turning into bad people that have no consideration for the copyright owners.

You are right, in a sense. If I should have paid for all the software, DVDs and music I have used I should have been a millionaire.

Intellectual property is probably one of the most humanly restricting measures in the world today.

Information sharing, the way it's done today, and will be in the future(naturally to a much greater extent), is one of the key requirements for global progression in my opinion.

So while technology has been exploited and exploited for profit and personal use the last 200 years, it's finally giving something back to those who deserve it. You and I. Knowledge.

Does overcharging for media make media companies bad?

Way back when, before mass duplication technology, a media creator (Lets say Beethoven) would play his music to an audience. He only made money if he got off his ass and performed. He could also sell his music by writing out charts individually, one at a time.

Mass duplication technology has allowed artists/creators to make one original and copy it many times over, easily selling it to many people, for almost no extra cost. Yes, Virginia, this is how you make it rich.

Unfortunately, the savings aren't being passed onto the consumer (and the artists don't necessarily see much of the profits, either).

Now that the consumer is armed with a new technology, certain organizations are CRIAing fowl. Too bad.

Technology giveth. And Technology taketh away.

1992 "Don't copy that floppy" US propaganda: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4837609090332617729

haha. Those damned elitists will stop at nothing. They've been at it a long time trying to get their way over the people. Its about control, not profits.

What about movies, do you agree with some people getting tens of millions per movie?

those movies make hundreds of millions of dollars just based on one or two actors a lot of the time. i think it's perfectly fair to give the actors a good percentage of that. wouldn't you want that rate if your face and work was being sold for tons of money by a studio?

I think it depends on the situation, like if you want to try a game to see if it runs on your machine, but there's no demo of it, you "try" it for yourself.

Does that make it right? No, imo there is nothing right about piracy.

It isn't it's stealing those 1's and 0 that makes you a bad person.

And for those that think it's ok. Could you honestly go up to the people that worked hard that you stole the software from and tell them I illegally got your software?

Um yea. I would. I would say I have a copy of your software that someone gave me. And then if they were negative, I would tell them to kiss my ass.

Like Bofors said. Its propaganda. And this board full of morons fall for it every time.