Forum Trolls

~pcwiz

13 posts in this topic

When I was reading the December 2007 issue of PCWorld magazine, they had this article on the "10 Biggest Web Anoyances". I was not surprised that Forum Trolls ranked #5 on the list:

Quote [PCWorld Magazine December 2007 Issue, The 10 Biggest Web Anoyances pg.145, #5 Trolls in Forums]

The Internet can be a spacious platform for all sorts of community interation, provided that the participants conduct themselves in a civil manner. Too often, though, they don't. Hiding behind the pseudonymity of a Web alias, trolls disrupt useful discussions with ludicrous rants, insane threadjackings, personal insults, and abusive language, deliberately baiting forum regulars into pointless controversy and disharmony.

Trolls lurk everywhere-in Google and Yahoo newsgroups, in blog comment areas, and on specialty message boards created to offer technical help to users.

The free and fruitful exchange of ideas on the Web suffers when Web community owners have to moderate duscussions and keep a tight rein on membership. But such actions are among the few effective ways to maintain civility and sanity in online forums. Another approach is for users to police the community themselves by collectively ignoring or dismissing malicious interlopers.

This is forums in general. While there are trolls in this forum (no names mentioned :D KFC ), its not as big of a problem as in larger newsgroups and forums like Google and Yahoo's.

Well, I will admit to becoming a 9/11 Truth troll but since ...

(1) careful examination of the evidence proves that 9/11 was an act of treason, a "flase flag" operation designed to rally the world into supporting Americans wars of agression, and ...

(2) the mainstrean media is complicit in covering up the truth of 9/11, meaning they refuse to even consider an objective presentation of the evidence to the public...

I feel entirely justified.

No, bofors you are not a troll. You post for an actual REASON, to inform people about 9/11. Forum trolls are people who are mean and disrupt genuine discussions just for the sake of annoying people and ruining the community.

No, bofors you are not a troll. You post for an actual REASON, to inform people about 9/11. Forum trolls are people who are mean and disrupt genuine discussions just for the sake of annoying people and ruining the community.

Using your definition.

Using Bofor's post as an example and regardless of the validity his argument many would suggest it isn't the content of the post that makes it trolling but the frequency of adding statements like "careful examination of the evidence proves that 9/11 was an act of treason" into as many threads/posts as possible.

So basically its subjective.

Trolls (of the type your describe) are usually pretty easy to spot and avoid.

Yeah, I can't stand trolls, and love it when they get what's coming to them from the mods.

Well, I will admit to becoming a 9/11 Truth troll but since ...

(1) careful examination of the evidence proves that 9/11 was an act of treason, a "flase flag" operation designed to rally the world into supporting Americans wars of agression, and ...

(2) the mainstrean media is complicit in covering up the truth of 9/11, meaning they refuse to even consider an objective presentation of the evidence to the public...

I feel entirely justified.

Haha, funny, the forum trolls are turning out for the forum troll thread. :P;)