New AGPGart

Slice

941 posts in this topic

2 Dan Druff

Thank you for your hard work! Your conclusions are useful for all.

My question is: how do you know that your AGP graphics is not good? For example CycloneFR has bad UI test and bad fps in games.

CycloneFR! Give us links to demo games to check FPS. I also wait for your ioreg with new PC-EFI.

But MBP has mobility X1600 with DevID=71c5. Are you sure the timings are good for you? Moreover, timings might be differ for AGP and PCIE versions. What to do? I am working on new project ATIFramebuffer to read settings and connector info from hardware hardware but not from hackers strings. It takes me time. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry690291

2 topcatsteve

As you are novice first of all upload you ioreg

ioreg -l -x -w 2048 >ioregSteve.txt

Zip it before download!

Read topic and goto post with AGPGart 265b2 where you can read more instructions.

In BIOS you can set Aperture size. If no let it be 64Mb. It is good value.

Look posts from Dan Druff how to test and report.

ill send later on the ioreg be sure ill private mail it to Slice

about the mbp i think i have the correct settings cause when i try to include the gfx string directly sent from my card i have no Framebuffer (weirdly) : AGP bug maybe. Anyway it works fine with PCEFI V8

2 Dan Druff

Thank you for your hard work! Your conclusions are useful for all.

My question is: how do you know that your AGP graphics is not good? For example CycloneFR has bad UI test and bad fps in games.

I use CB, GioFX and general user experience to qualify the setup. In my setup #5, I say that the setup isn't good because I got image tearing, even if the CB or the GioFX scores are good. In my setup #8, as it got no image tearing and is better than base setup (PCI with 10.5.2/graph patch updates) in terms of CB score but not as good as the setup #7, I say that is a fairly good setup in all.

I use CB, GioFX and general user experience to qualify the setup. In my setup #5, I say that the setup isn't good because I got image tearing, even if the CB or the GioFX scores are good. In my setup #8, as it got no image tearing and is better than base setup (PCI with 10.5.2/graph patch updates) in terms of CB score but not as good as the setup #7, I say that is a fairly good setup in all.

Now it is clear for me. I found differencies in 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 codes of INDRVSupport. May be I prepare more good version soon.

Hi, first time that I try install Leopard (Kalyway and everything seems to be ok - except video) and I've tried to use your AGPGart.kext (last version).

When I reboot, nothing happens (leo just stop load), I don't see any error in -s (but I'm newbie, so....) I'm using an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb AGP. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA8I865GME, 1Gb RAM, Pentium D 2.8Ghz.

Appreciate any help or idea ;)

ioreg.txt.zip

dmesgHIP.txt.zip

my leadtek A7300GT TDH 256Mb AGP VGA-card(leopard 10.5.2)

first,edit [NVinject]/[GeForce]/[NVDANV40Hal]/[NVDAResman] 4-kext with PlistEditPro,add my VGA-card's ID:0x02e210de

then,

test process 1:

use NVinject 0.1.5+GeForce.kext+NVDANV40Hal.kext+NVDAResman.kext

boot rightly,QE/CI ON run xbench shows like left side pic:

test process 2:

use AGPgart 2.6.5+NVinject 0.2.1+GeForce.kext+NVDANV40Hal.kext+NVDAResman.kext

boot rightly,but QE/CI OFF ,can show AGP

left side pic:test without AGPgart

right side pic:test with AGPgart

Slice,i need to add my VGA'ID in AGPgart?

Hi

Welcome in the marvelous world of testing! :rolleyes:

It's nice to see someone else testing his comp...

Two advice before any others do. First, use at least a dual boot (Leo/Leo) for testing, much more easy and quicker. Second, use GioFX (link below) and Cinebench for testing, they are reliable and CONSTANT. If you test several times Xbench, the results will differs by more than 10 points (in my case) so I recommend to let it alone, because it will not inform you on your progress with your setups.

Again welcome!

GioFX_OpenMarkKP.zip

Hiya!

I'm totally new to MAC/OSX, and I've been testing Leopard 10.5.1 (iATKOS_v1.0iR2) a bit on my PC, and I love it :-)

I've been reading quite some here on the forum and elsewhere on the Net, and like many others, it seems I am stuck on a Video base resolution, in my case 1024x768x32@60hz (my eyes! ;)

I've tried installing the latest AGPGart.kext + IOPCIFamily.kext, but my system hangs before I get my login screen.

My video-card is a ATI X800. I've seen tricks for Tiger (topic 21182), and someone mentioning that it would not work for Leopard.

So my question is:

Is it possible to get the ATI X800 working using AGPG (meaning at a nice resolution of 1600x1200x32@85hz or so / playing DVD etc.) on Leopard on a PC, can it work, or can it not?

Thanks for your replies!

New Mac Enthausiast ;)

I got some new result.

I am trying to improve AGPGart and IONDRVSupport.

XBench before

Quartz Graphics Test	41.38	
	Line	34.74	2.31 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	35.67	10.65 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	35.46	2.89 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	58.89	1.49 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	53.05	3.32 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	24.09	
	Spinning Squares	24.09	30.57 frames/sec
User Interface Test	55.41	
	Elements	55.41	254.31 refresh/sec

New config

Quartz Graphics Test	57.77	
	Line	45.90	3.06 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	56.06	16.74 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	54.25	4.42 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	68.50	1.73 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	71.97	4.50 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	23.93	
	Spinning Squares	23.93	30.35 frames/sec
User Interface Test	83.63	
	Elements	83.63	383.80 refresh/sec

OpenGL is pure because it is software. But other results increase!

This version of AGPGart contains improvement for ATI AGP BUS and support (probably) for RS480. It is a new chance for Toadspit and BikerS.

For lazy testers with Intel chipset I set aperture address=0xf0000000 by default and aperture size corrected to 128Mb.

2 PHICO

May be you lose QE/CI because of aperture=256Mb. No informations in your report.

2 Never Mind & Hip

ATIRadeon9700.kext for X800 and 9600 needs to be patched. Not only info.plist but also binary.

About 9600 look

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30084

For X800 it is not correct. Look

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry685498

It is too complex? No simple way!

And take into account that neither Callisto.kext nor IONDRVSupport from Leo work as AGP framebuffer. Use IONDRVSupport from my post 463.

I am playing with IONDRV trying to create best one. No good result yet. But now I see that this new version works as PCI but doesn't work as AGP. Dig more!

AGPGart_265f.src.zip

AGPGart265f.kext.zip

hey Slice,

if i replace the IONDRVSupport from my leo install with the one supplied by you, i always get normal boot but no gui.

I am sorry but nobody is successful with AGPGart in Leo on AMD64. I dunno why. I have no chance to test and find mistakes cause I have no such configuration. Looking for other programmers/advanced testers.

Here my test results (fast isn't it? :) )

Three tests:

A - with my original kexts (IONDRVSupport 1.4.8, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.8), no AGPGart

B - with your graphic kext (IONDRVSupport 1.4.3, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.3), no AGPGart

C - with your graphic kext (IONDRVSupport 1.4.3, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.3), and AGPGart

Results:

A - QG 65.11, OpenGL 113.48, UI 72.34

B - QG 65.50, OpenGL 115.62, UI 65.88

C - QG 74.19, OpenGL 37.77, UI 81.50 <-- with AGPGart

But: Xbench is not reliable in my opinion, specially User Interface test throttle between 70-85 in the same configuration.

In attachment kextstat and benchmark results for each conf

tests.zip

Here my test results (fast isn't it? :) )

Three tests:

A - with my original kexts (IONDRVSupport 1.4.8, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.8), no AGPGart

B - with your graphic kext (IONDRVSupport 1.4.3, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.3), no AGPGart

C - with your graphic kext (IONDRVSupport 1.4.3, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.3), and AGPGart

Results:

A - QG 65.11, OpenGL 113.48, UI 72.34

B - QG 65.50, OpenGL 115.62, UI 65.88

C - QG 74.19, OpenGL 37.77, UI 81.50

But: Xbench is not reliable in my opinion, specially User Interface test throttle between 70-85 in the same configuration.

XBench is very strange test. I got with my comp#1 xbench result *0,5 while cinebench and OpenMark show increase speed.

And a question to you. Do you really have working hardwareOpenGL with AGPGart??? You give me no such report.

just tried your 265f AGPGART slice no increase of any score under XBENCH

OPENGL : 108

Quartz 67

UI : 30

im running IONDRVSupport from 10.4.7 aka version 1.4.3

Your UI is worse then my Radeon9000 in software mode! Very poor ;)

Here is my attempt to rewrite IONDRVSupport. Please test how it works.

XBench is very strange test. I got with my comp#1 xbench result *0,5 while cinebench and OpenMark show increase speed.

And a question to you. Do you really have working hardwareOpenGL with AGPGart??? You give me no such report.

Not at all! In A and B configurations there is working hadrwareOpenGL, but because no AGPGart is installed.

In C I added AGPGart, and OpenGL benchmark = 4 time slower than A and B = software Open GL

Hi Slice!

Thank you for your reply on how to get my ATI X800 AGP working in Leopard. It's great that you help out!

Now, I downloaded IONDRVSupport.kext from your post #463 and copied it into /System/Library/Extensions and chown-ed and chmod-ed to what the should be.

No changes to be made in IONDRVSupport.kext files, right?

Then I checked your link at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry685498 and modified the ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700 file with the 2 perl commands, where I changed the DeviceID in both lines to mine. (I also tried the 2 other perl commands, again on the original file, with changed DeviceIDs, when it did not work)

I also changed the:

<dict>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

</dict>

bit in the Info.plist file in the for the ATIRadeon9700.kext. I didn't really understand the "Be sure that you have GA.plugin with", but I guess that just referred to changing the above bit in the Info.plist file? Only the <string> bit had to be changed, ey?

So then I did: rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and then rebooted.

Well, after reboot nothing seems to have changed. I am still in 1024x768x32@60Hz, and as before via "System Preferencs->Displays" I am not able to change anything.

Are there any other commands I should do, or are there any commands that I can do to check if the driver is running?

<edit> I checked system profiler and saw that no kext was loader for video...</edit>

<edit> I see now that the things on http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...415&st=854# are for PCIE, and I guess not AGP then, or?</edit>

Looking forward to your answer!

Cheers,

N.M.

p.s. OSX-beginner question: with all the drivers in /System/Library/Extensions, how does the OS know anyway which driver to load, and which driver not to load? Does it try all drivers at boottime? Or are the to-be-loaded drivers somewhere configured in a file?

SLICE ive tested ur IONDRVSUPPORT 1441 IT DOESNT WORK: SAME BLUE SCREEN as 10.5.2 one

I THINK I WAS WRONG MY IONDRVSUPPORT IS THE SAME AS 10.4.5 ; ive checked the version under system profiler and it's listed as version 1.4.3

NOW U NEED TO RECOMPILE UR IONDRVSUPPORT WITH THIS BASE OF CODE (v 1.4.3)

thanx

Not at all! In A and B configurations there is working hadrwareOpenGL, but because no AGPGart is installed.

In C I added AGPGart, and OpenGL benchmark = 4 time slower than A and B = software Open GL

Your testing is very important for me so I want to have more detailed report. (ioreg, dmesg, kextstat)

What is the difference for you with AGPGart 265b2 and 265f?

Are you successful with AGP_Base=0xf0000000 or 0xf8000000?

SLICE ive tested ur IONDRVSUPPORT 1441 IT DOESNT WORK: SAME BLUE SCREEN as 10.5.2 one

I THINK I WAS WRONG MY IONDRVSUPPORT IS THE SAME AS 10.4.5 ; ive checked the version under system profiler and it's listed as version 1.4.3

NOW U NEED TO RECOMPILE UR IONDRVSUPPORT WITH THIS BASE OF CODE (v 1.4.3)

thanx

I think I can make the exact copy of 143. But for a what? I want to create new one.

Thank for the information that 1441 is not works for you. I'll think about differencies. Only 40 strings :rolleyes:

2 Never Mind

You are on a right way but did mistakes.

also changed the:

IOProviderClass

IOFramebuffer

bit in the Info.plist file in the for the ATIRadeon9700.kext. I didn't really understand the "Be sure that you have GA.plugin with",

You are wrong. This is for ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin. Not for ATIRadeon9700.kext - revert it!

I am still in 1024x768x32@60Hz, and as before via "System Preferencs->Displays" I am not able to change anything.

This is "Change resolution" property for another driver of class "Framebuffer". For you it is Callisto v8 but it is not compatible with AGP yet. Work in progress.

What do you prefer to have "Change resolution" or "Hardware QE/CI" with "DVD playback"?

I checked system profiler and saw that no kext was loader for video...

Yes, your kext ATIRadeon9700 is not loaded because of IOProviderClass.

I see now that the things on http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...415&st=854# are for PCIE, and I guess not AGP then, or?

No matter. It is only internal matching for the set of OpenGL commands. I think a bus is not important for this.

OSX-beginner question: with all the drivers in /System/Library/Extensions, how does the OS know anyway which driver to load, and which driver not to load? Does it try all drivers at boottime? Or are the to-be-loaded drivers somewhere configured in a file?

Too complex question for novice!

Each kext has "Probe" method that return to system value kIOReturnSuccessful... And many other conditions at boot time. So kext may presents in directory but not loaded or registered during initialization.

No changes to be made in IONDRVSupport.kext files, right?

So you see no difference? It works for you as previous one?

He starts to work November 14 2007

Now we have April 7 2008

Nothing happend.

Nothing work.

Sry Slice but i think you are the wrong man.

For all others. The best and fastest way is to buy a PCIe System. Ebay is a good place to buy new stuff and sell the old.

Your testing is very important for me so I want to have more detailed report. (ioreg, dmesg, kextstat)

What is the difference for you with AGPGart 265b2 and 265f?

Are you successful with AGP_Base=0xf0000000 or 0xf8000000?

@Slice: in attachment you'll find my test reports.

All tests made with:

- your IONDRVSupport 1.4.41, IOGraphicsFamily 1.4.3

1. Without AGPGart (for comparison)

2. With AGPGart 2.6.5.b2.

The only AGP Aperture that allows me to enter in the GUI is 32Mb. With other, black screen or KP

3. With AGPGart 2.6.5f, 32MB Aperture, Base=0xf0000000

Slightly better performance in QC (+12%) and UI (+19%). But too low margin, is it a reliable result?

4. With AGPGart 2.6.5f, 32MB Aperture, Base=0xf8000000

Changed AGP_Base, it doesn't get in GUI. It is the wrong value. My ioreg and dmesg traces anyway.

5-6. With AGPGart 2.6.5f, Base=0xf0000000, 64MB and 256MB Aperture.

Gets in GUI, but pretty slow, fan going full speed (lots of disk access and CPU activity?), XBench tests not good.

But: AGPGart 2.6.5f always make me get in GUI, AGPGart 265b2 no. Is it a good result?

Let me know if you need some further test.

@aikon: please return to play to WoW with your wonderful new PCIe graphic card.

toadspit_report.zip

2 DanDRof can u tell me precisely the version of ATINDRV u run i mean under system profiler, in fact with 10.5.2 ATINDRV I get tearing under Tomb raider Anniversary. Im back to an older ATINDRV but seems to freeze now :) maybe a bug of the grafic update arf.

I dont want to get back to ATINDRV 10.4.5 cause this one gives blurry effect on my LCD 82cm !! :'( damit

ive tested all the ATINDRV possible from 10.4.4 to 10.5.2 no one is working without artifacts under games or Timemachine after 1min of idle except ATINDRV 10.4.5 which badly gives blurry effect on LCD at 1360x768 :)'

-> Slice no way u can make a working ATINDRV for X1600PRO?

About ATILeak slice the driver isnt loaded i get a not compatible with this kernel at startup. Compile it for 10.5.2

2 aikon

Full success on AMD64 in tiger because joblo had the comp.

Near to finish ATI BUS because I have it.

Where is other programmers?

I am solving not only AGP problem in free time so why slow. Sorry!

2 cyclonefr

I agree about 1.4.3. I only want to understand what is the difference in later versions that they led to blue screen. Very important information, isn't it?

2 toadspit

What I see in your report:

1-3 have no AGP transaction like that in 5,6

AGP memory 0b4fd000 length 00001000 offset 00000000 cnt 00000000
AGP memory 0b4fd000 length 00001000 offset 00001000 cnt 00000001
AGP memory 0b4fd000 length 00001000 offset 00002000 cnt 00000002

So AGPGart works in 5-6 but not in 1-3. And when work OpenGL became slower, UI speed increased (opposite to cyclonefr).

I have same strange behaviour. With b2 I can get into gui only with one setting but ve-e-ery slo-o-ow. I saw the same break down with PCIE Radeon 200M so I thought it is Radeon property. But with 265f I can boot into desktop with normal speed but hardwareOpenGL didn't switch on with all same settings.

With you I see that the behaviour is the same with NVidia drivers. Problem of AGPGart!

What is change in AGPGart?

1. New bus setting - I need to check twice according to new AMD documentations. (or random tests?)

2. New flush policy. Quartz and UI increased namely because of it.

Only two settings to finish. Dunno how you can help me else.

Did you see OpenMark ball in any configuration? Can you play chess or DVD?