Macbook or MBP?

22 posts in this topic

I am moving here shortly going into graphic and design. I know this has been asked in other forums and quiet possibly this one but for various other reasons. Anyways I really am skeptical about buying an MBP because the price is so much higher for a simple graphics card which im starting to think is not going to affect my productivity, especially since its only 128 which is plenty but for 1800-2000 id expect a 256mb. Secondly, I am fearful of the next greatest thing in the MBP department and thats an upgrade in January or Febuary (Q1) with a newer design without the latches which would be nice and also maybe a better price along with the new processor. Also am planning on hooking this up to a 19" monitor which i have not checked if the MB supports. Any thoughts on what would be the best purchase?

1. yes the macbook will connect to a 19" monitor. you'll have to buy a mini-DVI to DVI or mini-DVI to VGA adapter, they're $20 on apple's site I believe.

2. the MBP will probably be updated around the time of the Macworld expo, in mid-January. It's been updated right around that time for the last 2 years and that's also when intel is planning on rolling out new mobile processors, so the MBP will probably take advantage of that.

that said, buy now if you really need the laptop. you'll drive yourself crazy if you keep waiting for the next big thing because it's always around the corner.

i use a macbook as my daily laptop and it's fine for what I do (web development) but I'd highly recommend the MBP if you're going into design, especially if you plan on doing anything with video.

1. yes the macbook will connect to a 19" monitor. you'll have to buy a mini-DVI to DVI or mini-DVI to VGA adapter, they're $20 on apple's site I believe.

2. the MBP will probably be updated around the time of the Macworld expo, in mid-January. It's been updated right around that time for the last 2 years and that's also when intel is planning on rolling out new mobile processors, so the MBP will probably take advantage of that.

that said, buy now if you really need the laptop. you'll drive yourself crazy if you keep waiting for the next big thing because it's always around the corner.

i use a macbook as my daily laptop and it's fine for what I do (web development) but I'd highly recommend the MBP if you're going into design, especially if you plan on doing anything with video.

The part in bold is very true.

I got my Macbook around 2 months ago, and love it (I also do web development, as well as C++ programming). If you are doing design go for the MBP, the Macbook does choke with doing video processing, also the extra screen real-estate on the MBP is nice for those who do graphic design from what I am told.

yar i dont care about the next best thing except for the casing and maybe better fans and cooler unit as a whole which im not sure if they are changing/upgrading those components or not otherwise im rdy to break the bank and purchase this bad boy :( the screen real estate isnt much better with the 15" id have to go for a 17# for it to really make a difference. also any problems with casing color fading on the MB i read that was a big problem around your resting palm and area.

yar i dont care about the next best thing except for the casing and maybe better fans and cooler unit as a whole which im not sure if they are changing/upgrading those components or not otherwise im rdy to break the bank and purchase this bad boy :( the screen real estate isnt much better with the 15" id have to go for a 17# for it to really make a difference. also any problems with casing color fading on the MB i read that was a big problem around your resting palm and area.

I am on my MB and the palm area is getting a little dirty, however the dirt seems to wipe off. Apple said they would replace units that are stained and the color will not restore. I did have a Marware palm-rest pad installed on my laptop for the first month I had it, and my goodness did it get dirty. It was actually disgusting, I pulled it off, looks like I will be getting another one. I just don't want to see my system get dirty, even if it does wipe off.

As far as the 15" screen goes, the real estate is better IMO because of the resolution difference (MBP 15": 1440x900 vs MB 1280x800). I am a fan of really really high resolutions so I prefer the 1440x900 over 1280x800 but so far it has been fine.

I have a MB and use it for similar applications, be wary that the LCDs are a 6bit color scheme and don't dither to compensate, you will notice banding in your images that are not really there on a normal monitor. Other then this and sheer screen size/ resolution there is no difference between MB and MBP lines when it comes to your desired use.

Yeah, if I can mange to wait util Febuary for the new line in hopes of better cooling I will no doubtably buy the MBP otherwise I'll be getting an MB for the simple fact that I will be able to keep my osx86 desktop machine. Thanks for all your responses it helps to have others opinions backing up my decision especially since this will be my first Mac :D.

Aww man I was convinced to get an MB until I just remembered its only available in bloody glossy! why in the world is it so hard for apple to allow customers choices now I wouldn't be surprised if there is new casing for the MBP coming out that it to will be all glossy just like all their other products.

Aww man I was convinced to get an MB until I just remembered its only available in bloody glossy! why in the world is it so hard for apple to allow customers choices now I wouldn't be surprised if there is new casing for the MBP coming out that it to will be all glossy just like all their other products.

i just got this MB in aug.......its not glossy at all , it is flat black

i just got this MB in aug.......its not glossy at all , it is flat black

Not the casing the lcd coating is glossy rather than anti glare. Glossy causing more reflections with more vibrant color also something i dont want when doing graphics.

I used my girlfriends macbook and then i bought my mom a macbook pro because she is in design. I would have to say if i was going to buy a computer again i would get the pro. It's just a better all around experence.

Not the casing the lcd coating is glossy rather than anti glare. Glossy causing more reflections with more vibrant color also something i dont want when doing graphics.

If you are really serious about getting the right color then you will need a CRT. The also just so you know the MacBook Pro has better color of the 2 computers i've used. The MacBook is more washed out.

also any problems with casing color fading on the MB i read that was a big problem around your resting palm and area.

my macbook (rev A core duo) had the staining issue (it turned almost a brown color on some parts of the case), but apple took care of it by replacing the topcase for me free of charge (I still had applecare at the time). after that it's gotten a little dirty but I use a mr. clean magic eraser on it and the dirt comes right off.

our other macbook (rev B core 2 duo) never had the staining issue and stays pretty clean overall, though it sees less usage than the rev A.

also how much graphic design are you really going to be doing when you're not at a desk? remember that apps like photoshop and indesign can be battery killers. hook the macbook up to the LCD of your choice and don't worry about glossy vs matte.

Go for the MBP. The MacBook will not make you very happy doing Graphic Design. I am a Photographer and also have a minor Visual Communications (My schools version of GD), so I use the same programs you are going to use. I also have the 2.2GHz version with the 128MB Graphics card. This beast is amazing. The MacBook can't even touch this action. Plus the LED backlight is a lot more phenomenal then you might think. This display is amazingly bright. The only thing I wish different, was a WUXGA screen (1980x1250) because I still find the desktop to be a little small at times.

So, get the MBP, you will be happy :P

Go for mbp only after january... thats my advice... my prediction is speed bumps of mbp from 2.2Ghz to 2.4Ghz and for the high end to bump up to 2.6Ghz... and i predict a graphics processor change from Nvidia 8600M GT to a Nvidia 8800M GT.... the rest will remain stock.... no new type of precessor for mbp..... i dont think quad core will arrive for mbp anytime soon.... possibly till Q3 next year...

Well, im set on getting a referb mbp prolly early next week. There's always going to be something to wait for + i know the current model is working solid and the chips are fast enough as is and will suffice for another year and if i feel compelled to get the latest and greatest ill just sell it on ebay ppl buy anything on there core duo with the ati x1600 go for 1600 which i cant figure out. Lastly, I've read it is unlikely for them to bump the graphics card to the 8800GT because they run hotter how true this is im not sure. Also I start school in January and will need it by then, and i have it stuck in my mind that a worthy wait on the mbp is going to be next summer perhaps a refreshing look- i mean they've worked on leopard and iphone and ipods this year MacPro im going January and Q1 -3 is going to be finalizing the mbp new design.