650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

you have a good random write uncached score, which kext are you using?

but that's a bit low for the sequential one//

it is the nforce ata kext by medevil but in pata mode, bcoz i m using satas in raid... but believe me appleviaata.kext is giving better score... for some reaso. i dont know, i just think it s bcoz it s more saturated kext than nforce one... since nforce ata is sort of duck taped together ;) i know it s a bit harsh, and great job done by medevil, but until nvidia allows all these drivers more public (open source) there wont be any perfect driver...

i will try to disable the nforce and get benchmark with appleviaata one... it is better if i m not wrong... but better score doesnt mean better performer...

@tanazreal, just wait for the new dvd and instructions, i was installing my leo's not less than 1.5 hrs min, now with the patched dvd of iatkos believe or not, it took 6-7 mins... not even 10 mins... ;) just to let u know, it will worth the wait, and as usual it will never be perfect either, but it will be close... of course there will some systems not working bcoz of their designs or bios or various other reasons... which noone in the community is able to control, due to the fact that osx is designed to work on mac and no third party driver support from OEM, so no luck for some people.... i hope it will work for you too... just wait for the new dvd...

Which new dvd? Can you tell me the name?

Which new dvd? Can you tell me the name?

it is not really new dvd, it is iatkos, but with right patches, it becomes nforce friendly dvd...

i would love to share it right now, but i had enough amount of responses from others regarding the ppfs that how people cannot perform extremely simple patchwork and install two files afterwards... so i decided not to do it now, until new patch comes that will add install function automatic, only than it will be released...

@mysticus

which one are you currently using then?

in fact, i didn't come across the thread about appleviaata, can you point me to? (can't find ori. in gg)

----------------

just got a hand of 9C31 update, work great on 680i so far.

@mysticus

which one are you currently using then?

in fact, i didn't come across the thread about appleviaata, can you point me to? (can't find ori. in gg)

----------------

just got a hand of 9C31 update, work great on 680i so far.

if u just want to use the pata drive, than remove applenforceata.kext

than edit the appleviaata.kext/contents/info.plist

go to its sata driver section... (funny but although it s pata it is using sata section :))

and add 0x036e10de among other dev ids... if u know what i mean, if u dont know, dont try it please, i ve already enough headache :)

of course dev id above is for mine, but u can check urs as well if it s the same, usualy nforce chipsets use this dev id for pata controller.... in windows/dev manager/ide controllers/properties/resources/hardware dev ids...

good luck...

also r3 coming very very soon... so nforce friendly, dvd...

if u want to test 10.5.2 update do it in a seperate partition... bcoz 10.5.2 is replacing so many previous things from the look of it, and too many patches... so do not risk everything to start over, just do a restore of your partition to another and than do the update on new partition...

not the one u use it now...

also remember one 680i chipset work fine X brand, and so much trouble in Y brand... thats one of the drawbacks of any systems in osx... it s all about PnP = Plug and Pray that it will work...

ever since I upgraded to 10.5.1 my usb devices stopped working for plug n play. They were working fine in 10.5.0. My USB hdd, i have to boot into leopard with it already turned on. When I try to turn it on with leopard it running, it's not detected. Same goes for my usb flash drive. My iphone doesn't work at all now. My keyboard and mouse work fine though, but those are already plugged in upon boot up.

I must of did something wrong, anyone know how to fix this? I'm using the ToH RC2 version with the golden kernel. I'm also on the EVGA 680i with the P31 bios. (no need to upgrade to P32 yet until i get one of the new 45nm cpus)

Other than that everything else works like it should for me. (using pci nic for internet with the tulip.kext)

if u just want to use the pata drive, than remove applenforceata.kextthan edit the appleviaata.kext/contents/info.plistgo to its sata driver section... (funny but although it s pata it is using sata section :wacko:)and add 0x036e10de among other dev ids... if u know what i mean, if u dont know, dont try it please, i ve already enough headache :)of course dev id above is for mine, but u can check urs as well if it s the same, usualy nforce chipsets use this dev id for pata controller.... in windows/dev manager/ide controllers/properties/resources/hardware dev ids...good luck...also r3 coming very very soon... so nforce friendly, dvd...if u want to test 10.5.2 update do it in a seperate partition... bcoz 10.5.2 is replacing so many previous things from the look of it, and too many patches... so do not risk everything to start over, just do a restore of your partition to another and than do the update on new partition...not the one u use it now...also remember one 680i chipset work fine X brand, and so much trouble in Y brand... thats one of the drawbacks of any systems in osx... it s all about PnP = Plug and Pray that it will work...
yea, i know what you mean,so if i'm using sata, that's no point to change to viakext ~

for 10.5.2 update, it's easy to install, only need to replace the applesmbios.kext and delete the intelcpumanagement.kext, with the install of efi, i can even use stock achiplatform.kext, thanks kabyl:)

plus, i don't need pcgen anymore to get ehci working, yay!

ever since I upgraded to 10.5.1 my usb devices stopped working for plug n play. They were working fine in 10.5.0. My USB hdd, i have to boot into leopard with it already turned on. When I try to turn it on with leopard it running, it's not detected. Same goes for my usb flash drive. My iphone doesn't work at all now. My keyboard and mouse work fine though, but those are already plugged in upon boot up.I must of did something wrong, anyone know how to fix this? I'm using the ToH RC2 version with the golden kernel. I'm also on the EVGA 680i with the P31 bios. (no need to upgrade to P32 yet until i get one of the new 45nm cpus)Other than that everything else works like it should for me. (using pci nic for internet with the tulip.kext)
check if your version of system.kext match your osx version,or try to disable legacy support in bios, if you have!

r3 dvd hopefully coming by tomorrow evening...

will include fixes to bootloader issue

universal boot kernel

nforce chipsets will be able boot and install necessary files during install... hopefully this will be the only nforce friendly dvd to boot and install correctly... thanx to Kabyl....

i will make a full new topic for it, and include pics about what to choose how to boot, etc.. for noob friendly guide...

check if your version of system.kext match your osx version,or try to disable legacy support in bios, if you have!

the system.kext seemed to be the problem, I still have 10.5.0 on an external drive so i replaced my system.kext from that and it seemed to fix it, thank you! Also, i didnt see an option to disable legacy support in the bios.

Did anyone else have any issues with the 'migration loop' on their 680i board? I have an Evga 680i sli board, and I have everything working fine with kalyway 10.5.1, but for some reason, I am getting the migration setup over and over. I have the drivers for my ati 1300x setup correctly, I have not installed any extra drivers for sound (from what I have read, you don't NEED them to boot), and I am using the RealtekR1000 driver for my onboard lan. I have tried disabling the mac addresses in the bios, unplugging all network cables, and re-installing osx, still the loop. I can't think of anything else it could be, other than the fact that I leave the install dvd in the drive. Has anyone else had this error? If i select "don't migrate at this time" it will load up, then immediately ask me to verify my keyboard again, and go through the migration setup again. My bootflags as of now are only -v cpus=1. I read that there is something you can do if logged into single user made, but I can't find the details on exactly what needs to be done. The only think it may be is that I put the RealtekR1000.kext in /system/library/extensions (had no effect) and in /system/library/extensions/IONetworkFamily.kext/content/PlugIns/ as well, and judging by the dump on the screen, I don't see that kext loading anywhere. Any ideas?

Seems like the new update is out 10.5.2. Anyone tried that yet on the 680i? Would it be reasonable to just update it with pacifist and just exclude the files that are creating issues like the intelcpumanagement kext and the mach_kernel of course?

thats my question as well, lol my installation is far to valuable to me now to dive right in

thats my question as well, lol my installation is far to valuable to me now to dive right in

I might be able to give it a shot tomorrow. We are supposed to get tons of snow here, so if my classes are cancelled, I will have some free time. :)

*crosses fingers*

muitommy: how did you update =O. It says in your sig that you got efi and patched vanilla? I'm so confused, any ideas how to get 10.5.2 to work with the golden kernel?

i think it's okay for you to follow netkas's guide,

and i was updating the mac os x in another working leopard :P ,

sure delete the intelcpumanagement, and replace kext like applesmbios, nforceata, ... plus any kext you have installed before.

after that, it will boot up with the golden kernel.

after all, you can installed efi, GUID = no need, and apply the patched vanilla kernel. find me in irc if you need help.

and i was updating the mac os x in another working leopard ;) ,

sure delete the intelcpumanagement, and replace kext like applesmbios, nforceata, ... plus any kext you have installed before.

after all, you can installed efi, GUID = no need, and apply the patched vanilla kernel. find me in irc if you need help.

know which files to exclude updating with pacifist?

its better to wait abit till things work better... No need to rush... But of course some can use some test on it on a backup/test partition

I'll be waiting for your update response. Hopefully ver. r3 iATKOS will allow me to get my entire system running the Mac OS successfully. :D

me too, lost all over again... awaahhhh :D

I tried to install using netkas guide yesterday and the machine locked with about 10 min left on the 10.5.2 update installer. then of course panic upon reboot, wasted my install.

1. golden kernal never worked for me

2. on my kalyway 10.5.1 installer there was an option for "vanilla" kernal which i could never get to work. So the only way to get this to install for me was to choose ONLY the "GUID boot manager" nothing else. when people refer to vanilla kernal, is it that option on the kalyway installer ? or does that mean just a generic/default kernal ?

(andyph666 @ Feb 12 2008, 05:01 PM) post_snapback.gifmuitommy: how did you update =O. It says in your sig that you got efi and patched vanilla? I'm so confused, any ideas how to get 10.5.2 to work with the golden kernel?

date='Feb 12 2008, 07:16 PM' post='619526']

and i was updating the mac os x in another working leopard ;) ,

know which files to exclude updating with pacifist?
must: mach_kernel, intelcpumanagement.kext , applesmbios.kextprobably: applehda.kext, nforceata.kext
me too, lost all over again... awaahhhh :) I tried to install using netkas guide yesterday and the machine locked with about 10 min left on the 10.5.2 update installer. then of course panic upon reboot, wasted my install. 1. golden kernal never worked for me2. on my kalyway 10.5.1 installer there was an option for "vanilla" kernal which i could never get to work. So the only way to get this to install for me was to choose ONLY the "GUID boot manager" nothing else. when people refer to vanilla kernal, is it that option on the kalyway installer ? or does that mean just a generic/default kernal ?
you could install the update with a dvd and replace the kext that i have mentioned in the previous post,you can't choose vanilla kernel for 680i chipset for sure unless a patched one and you could find it in the previous post by mysticus :)

just to clarify for you guys,

on nforce chipsets (excluding some old ones) you can never use a vanilla kernel aka untouched original kernel!!! it works only through kernel patching, but than you do not call it vanilla kernel, as it will have old scheduler function from 8.8.1 (10.4.8) kernel, and rest from 9.0.0 kernel (10.5.0)... it is mixture of some kernels and some little adjustments...

because of the new scheduler function in kernel 8.9.1 and over versions, you cant use stock kernels and some other stock stuffs...

and why is the rush for 10.5.2 anyway? most of you dont know how to install a kext and try to do a completely new update on a working system, trying to shoot your own foot... if u ever try a new update, it should be on a backedup/restored partition not on your main working one... some guys always want to learn the truth the hard way although been told.... :)