650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

@ DeDDi, I used the Intel NVidia VIA ATI HD Audio Controller option and no others when I installed using the Kalyway DVD. The sound works, but input doesn't. There is another thread somewhere that shows you how to get it all working using a Linux dump file. I just can't remember where I saw it at. But it is possible! For LAN use the nForceEthernetController.kext. However, when downloading large files it may kernel panic. I have to use cpus=1 in order to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Installing all available versions of OSX

But i am getting some errors and it takes a long time to boot OS X and sometimes it wont even boot in normal or safe mode

IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbol

" " " for IOKit to quiesce

mdworker SyncInfo: Boot-cache avoidance timedout

can some one help me thanks

I'll chime in here. Everything sort of works. I'm running the nforcekernel off the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk and nForceEthernet.kext. Audio's no biggie since I'm running a RME Fireface 400 via firewire. I say 'sort of' because no matter which pins I stick in which dolls, or however many dead chickens I wave over the motherboard, I can only keep the system stable if I set cpus=1. A number of things may be contributing to the ugliness, possibly my logitech gaming mouse, or the sketchy onboard components, or some stray kexts or all of the above. Even with the ethernet shut off, the Ableton Live demo will lock the system up as soon as I go for Preferences. The ethernet kext is still loaded, though. If the ethernet is disabled in the BIOS, it still shows a device, just not connected.

So I'm stuck running 1 core. On the plus side, I can run Ableton Live and some VST plugins, Final Cut Pro, Maya and Shake. Next phase is to toss in my firewire card and a network card and see what shakes loose. Failing that, it's a DS3 or DS4 Intel mobo.

ive tried many kernels on a evga 680i board with a q6600, 28 installs so far. Tried vanilla, nforce, and a few others all with different bios settings, no luck on getting 4 cores working, keeps showing Intel Core 2 Solo, and system profiler crashes also :(

My system profiler used to crash constantly, and would report my Conroe as a Core2 Solo as well, but the system monitor showed 2 procs running.. Odd. I made sure to install the AppleSMBIOS kext on the next time around and that problem went away, at least with only 1 core running. Still though, if it gets really warm, or if there's a TON of network and disk activity, it will still lock up, or kill the USB inputs, or one right after the other.

There is a DS4 at newegg with my name on it.

Guys I need a quick answer, I have my machine up and running as you can see in my signature, my issue is the computer starts freaking out after a while, my guess is because of running torrents. Whats the best way to fix it? really annoying.

Hi!

I have finaly succesfully installed of OSX (Kalyway 10.5.2 + 9.2.0 speedstep kernel)

All cores work! :(

Onboard network isn't working so i took Realtek 8139 and it works!

But i have network problems. Net is freesing (after ~30 minutes)

Do you know how to solve this problem?

P.S. Can i get my Sound Blaster PCI-E working? It was expensive (for me) and i want it to work in OSX!

*ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 with NF650I SLI

*MSI GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 256MB OVERCLOCKED

*Intel Q6600 CORE2 QUAD 2.4GHz OC @ 3.0 GHz

*RAM KINGMAX 2048 mb DDR2 - 800 MHz running @ 667; CORSAIR 1024 mb 667 MHz CL5 (total 3GB of RAM running @ 667 MHz)

*HDD

1. 200 GB IDE

2. 350 GB SATA

3. 400 GB SATA

4. 80 GB IDE

* Floppy 1.4 MB 3½'' (i realy need it :) )

* USB 2.0

* LAN - realtek 8139

* Fire Wire 400 on PCI slot p_middot.gif

Hi!

I have finaly succesfully installed of OSX (Kalyway 10.5.2 + 9.2.0 speedstep kernel)

All cores work! :P

Onboard network isn't working so i took Realtek 8139 and it works!

But i have network problems. Net is freesing (after ~30 minutes)

Do you know how to solve this problem?

P.S. Can i get my Sound Blaster PCI-E working? It was expensive (for me) and i want it to work in OSX!

*ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 with NF650I SLI

*MSI GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 256MB OVERCLOCKED

*Intel Q6600 CORE2 QUAD 2.4GHz OC @ 3.0 GHz

*RAM KINGMAX 2048 mb DDR2 - 800 MHz running @ 667; CORSAIR 1024 mb 667 MHz CL5 (total 3GB of RAM running @ 667 MHz)

*HDD

1. 200 GB IDE

2. 350 GB SATA

3. 400 GB SATA

4. 80 GB IDE

* Floppy 1.4 MB 3½'' (i realy need it :D )

* USB 2.0

* LAN - realtek 8139

* Fire Wire 400 on PCI slot p_middot.gif

You can delete the forcedeth kext or simply you can have the same damn problem of nforce 6xx every 30 to 40 min it freezes geeeeez

Hey everyone! Hope somebody can help me with my problem...I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and everything is working perfectly except for the internet! ;) It recognizes the onboard ethernet, but it says "cable unplugged." Thanks in advance! :angry:

post-235140-1212342489_thumb.jpg

Just take a old Realtek 8139 and it will work ;)

hi guys i am building a hackintosh for using Logic studio on it. my set up is

ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9

intel q6600 2.4 Quad

4gb of Corsair pc 6400 RAM

4x sata 500GB HD

Radeo x1900 Video Card

no soundcard and onboard nick.

can anyone help me with the instructions on what would be my best bet as far as installing the OSX on it. are there bios settings i need to tweak, what is and how do i edit a kext file if there is a need. do i need to have vista or any other os on it before installing osx. can i use acronis disk utility to format the HDDs.

Someone please help.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

my specs:

Asus Striker Extreme

2x1gb Crucial Ballistix

Lite-ON IDE DVDROM

SATA Western Digital 750gb Drive

Q6600 Intel 2.4 Core Duo CPU

PCI Lan Card (cheap working one in HCL cant remember name im at work)

-----------------------------------

Anyways my problem is this..running all cores seems to be fine for a few hours.. sometimes longer osmetimes shorter ists random.. At that point i loose internet (seperate PCI, ive tried many pci cards same problem on all) and also the mouse will stop working.. it works but u cant see it moving around only sometimes over an icon. Is there a fix for this yet? If not hiow about a fix for this.. when i boot with cpus=1 i loose the abikity to stream anything to my xbox via Rivet or Connect360 (does this mean afp isnt working also im not sure). Is there a way to make Rivet or connect360 work while running in cpus=1?

Hopefully someone has a solution for either of my above problems!!

-- 0dine --

my specs:

Asus Striker Extreme

2x1gb Crucial Ballistix

Lite-ON IDE DVDROM

SATA Western Digital 750gb Drive

Q6600 Intel 2.4 Core Duo CPU

PCI Lan Card (cheap working one in HCL cant remember name im at work)

-----------------------------------

Anyways my problem is this..running all cores seems to be fine for a few hours.. sometimes longer osmetimes shorter ists random.. At that point i loose internet (seperate PCI, ive tried many pci cards same problem on all) and also the mouse will stop working.. it works but u cant see it moving around only sometimes over an icon. Is there a fix for this yet? If not hiow about a fix for this.. when i boot with cpus=1 i loose the abikity to stream anything to my xbox via Rivet or Connect360 (does this mean afp isnt working also im not sure). Is there a way to make Rivet or connect360 work while running in cpus=1?

Hopefully someone has a solution for either of my above problems!!

-- 0dine --

What is the chipset of your PCI cards.....the RTL8139 is known to give problems.....

Have you disabled the onboard LAN in your BIOS?

Checked to see if the stock ApplexxxxxxxEthernet.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins matches your chipset.....

For an alternative driver.....depending on your PCI card chipset of course...see http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modification for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

You could try the Psystar modified open source R1000 driver kext mentioned in my blog......R1000 driver kext.....Psystar have released this modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101

Hope these suggestions help you...... <_<

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my P6n Sli ( loose internet and mouse lag )

I try the new kernel voodoo beta1 and now i can use cpus=2 without the problem.

For my test i use eyetv. Before with old kernel and cpus=2 tv work maximum 1 hour and mouse lag then i use the keyboard to restart mac osx.

Now with the new kernel i can watch tv all the night without a problem.

The RTL8139 is not the problem because i have the same problem with rtl8169 and a intel network card.

I think it is a problem with 2 core synchro.

Edit Oct 16 2008,

The problem is always here but i discovered that if i don't start itunes there isn't the problem.

I make more test :

- start and close itunes ( no problem )

- start itunes and reduce in the dock and when the problem is there i force to quit itunes ( not working )

If someone can try.

P6 Sli Fi ( nforce 650i )

Core 2 duo 4300 ( overclock 3000 )

4 Gb ( maxmem=2816 )

8800 GT 512 ( EFI )

Sata 80Gb

leopard 10.5.5 ( Voodoo kernel beta1 9.5.0 )

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just putting it out there that someone may have a suggestion regarding my 'freezing' problems! I have been running Leopard 10.5.2 for 6 months now from an IDE drive - all ok except I have never been able to run time machine (have tried the 'fix' to no avail) but apart from that it has been almost faultless (ie stable) running pretty much anything i have needed - photoshop, ftp, torrents etc to the point it is more reliable than XP on the same machine (no surprise !).

I have recently installed 10.5.5 onto a SATA drive via the kalyway 10.5.2 instal, 10.2.3 update, official 10.5.4 and then Mysticus (customize for nvidia) method to 10.5.5. It boots up all good - and correctly identifies the CPU etc except it freezes randomly - sometimes within seconds. It runs pretty stable in safe mode tho... I have tried memmax=3072 - no improvement. I have tried many different 'customize' options and still no luck... however 10.5.4 was pretty stable.

anyhow I'm sure its something fairly simple - I suspect it may be something to do with the SATA driver?? or memory issue although the fact it works fine via IDE seems to discount that (?). I just cant quite get it!

Any input would be greatly appreciated (as all the fine work that has enabled me to get to this stage is!) Many thanks to all who have made this possible in the first place - your work is great!!

P.S For anyone similarly amateur reading this who is struggling to get Leopard running AT ALL on the same motherboard see the p5n-e sli thread :) And also running Leopard off 2 discs is a great way to make changes - especially if you stuff one install up. AND dont stuff around with LAN for this MB - buy a card that is known to work coz (i dont think) it can be done - correct me if im wrong!

oh yeah if i can provide any feedback to anyone who has been working on installers etc just ask! same for BIOS settings .

I must reiterate that the 10.5.2 install is pretty much faultless - its a Kalyway (thanks!) 10.5.2 clean (customized) install - only LAN Kext for Intel Pro 100s card - NOTHING else!

Asus P5N-E SLI (650i)

E6750 2.66GHZ Core 2 Duo @ 1333mhz

Asus EN7300GT NVidia Video Card 256mb

Kingston Hyper-X RAM 4GB @800MHZ

Seagate SATA 320GB 2 partitions - 1 (supposed to be) running Leopard 10.5.5 mac os extended - other partition the same

Seagate SATA 500GB 3 partitions 1 running WinXP, 2nd partition is shared between XP and Leopard for documents - I also run most Mac OS programs from this partition (Fat), 3rd and 4th partition NTFS

Old Maxtor 10gb IDE running Leopard 10.5.2 nicely mac os extended (original G3 mac HD!)

Lacie 120gb external via firewire - no good for timemachine

2xoldskool 21" CRT monitors in dual setup

Hi

Just putting it out there that someone may have a suggestion regarding my 'freezing' problems! I have been running Leopard 10.5.2 for 6 months now from an IDE drive - all ok except I have never been able to run time machine (have tried the 'fix' to no avail) but apart from that it has been almost faultless (ie stable) running pretty much anything i have needed - photoshop, ftp, torrents etc to the point it is more reliable than XP on the same machine (no surprise !).

I have recently installed 10.5.5 onto a SATA drive via the kalyway 10.5.2 instal, 10.2.3 update, official 10.5.4 and then Mysticus (customize for nvidia) method to 10.5.5. It boots up all good - and correctly identifies the CPU etc except it freezes randomly - sometimes within seconds. It runs pretty stable in safe mode tho... I have tried memmax=3072 - no improvement. I have tried many different 'customize' options and still no luck... however 10.5.4 was pretty stable.

anyhow I'm sure its something fairly simple - I suspect it may be something to do with the SATA driver?? or memory issue although the fact it works fine via IDE seems to discount that (?). I just cant quite get it!

Any input would be greatly appreciated (as all the fine work that has enabled me to get to this stage is!) Many thanks to all who have made this possible in the first place - your work is great!!

P.S For anyone similarly amateur reading this who is struggling to get Leopard running AT ALL on the same motherboard see the p5n-e sli thread :P And also running Leopard off 2 discs is a great way to make changes - especially if you stuff one install up. AND dont stuff around with LAN for this MB - buy a card that is known to work coz (i dont think) it can be done - correct me if im wrong!

oh yeah if i can provide any feedback to anyone who has been working on installers etc just ask! same for BIOS settings .

I must reiterate that the 10.5.2 install is pretty much faultless - its a Kalyway (thanks!) 10.5.2 clean (customized) install - only LAN Kext for Intel Pro 100s card - NOTHING else!

Asus P5N-E SLI (650i)

E6750 2.66GHZ Core 2 Duo @ 1333mhz

Asus EN7300GT NVidia Video Card 256mb

Kingston Hyper-X RAM 4GB @800MHZ

Seagate SATA 320GB 2 partitions - 1 (supposed to be) running Leopard 10.5.5 mac os extended - other partition the same

Seagate SATA 500GB 3 partitions 1 running WinXP, 2nd partition is shared between XP and Leopard for documents - I also run most Mac OS programs from this partition (Fat), 3rd and 4th partition NTFS

Old Maxtor 10gb IDE running Leopard 10.5.2 nicely mac os extended (original G3 mac HD!)

Lacie 120gb external via firewire - no good for timemachine

2xoldskool 21" CRT monitors in dual setup

Check out my Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO topic.....it may help answer your questions...... :)

• 2 months later...

My ethernet connection is working fine - for some time! However, on heavy load it craps out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this!? Thank you.

Currently running:

P5N32-E SLI Plus

Intel E6300 1.86GHz (Core 2 Duo)

2GB OCZ 800MHz Memory

GeForce 8800GT

Everything with 10.5.6 is working fine with the exeption of the nForce ethernet! I would really like to fix the problem rather than buying a cheap network card with some Realtek chipset ex: Sweex or something from 3Com.

Thank you.