650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

Hmm i got 10.5.2 on efi following mysticus's instructions. However I had to install the more recent medevil driver for it to work on my sata drive. I installed nvinject and used marvins utility after I did the 10.5.2 and grpahics update and now theres a small delay. Trying to figure out how to make it boot faster. :rolleyes:

Hi Have the same setup as you do

q6600

p5n32esli

2gb ram

ide hd 250

sata dvd burner

have d/l ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso burnt it to disk 4x

booted with -v -f -x -legacy cpus=1

all i get is still waiting for root device (needed a ide rom solved). a

now i updates the boot config as per instruction.

below

There is a way to restore the bootloader without wipeing out all your data if you want to try.

You need

-little bit of skills.

-a second installation of OSX that you can boot to (using the DVD)

-this files in /usr/standalone/i386: boot boot0 boot1h

They must be there in your disk, if not you could get them from any JaS' DVD-

-startupfiletool (download it at the end of this posting)

The following example asumes you want to make disk0s1 bootable

('1' means first partition. Change the '1' if your install partition is a different one).

Boot to your second OSX installation (using the DVD bootloader).

From within the terminal do:

1) Update MBR bootloader and flag partition 1 as bootable:

CODE

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

2) put boot1h at the beginning of the partition:

CODE

sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1

3) copy the startupfiletool to /usr/sbin first,unmount the target partition, and

then you execute the command.

CODE

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

4) bless the partition:

Mount the partition again and execute the command

CODE

sudo bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose

That would do. Reboot without the DVD to try it out

METHOD POSTED ORIGINALY BY CRAZOR.

Installation:

1. Burn the ToH ISO to a DVD+/-R. (DVD+/-RW is reported to cause problems on other boards, not tested with this one.)

2. Disconnect (or disable in BIOS) ALL

SATA hard drives larger than 128 GB from the motherboard. Otherwise

Setup will hang. (You can reconnect them once Setup is complete, but

you won't be able to use them from Leopard until a new

AppleNForceATA.kext comes out. Installation from SATA DVD works fine.)

3. Go into BIOS and set these options:

* HPET: Enabled

* NoExecute: Enabled (recommended, but possibly not required)

* Limit Max CPUID to 3: DISABLED, otherwise the DVD won't boot.

* Onboard LAN: Disabled (known to cause strange problems for some people during setup, can be re-enabled after installation)

* Onboard IEEE1394: Enabled (again, to avoid setup problems)

4. Boot

from the DVD. Press F8 when it asks you to do so (but not earlier, as

that will prevent booting!), and enter the options "-x -legacy cpus=1"

(you might also add the graphics mode if you want).

5. When it is loaded, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

6. Create/format a HFS+ Journaled partition. (Double-check that you have selected MBR as the partitioning mode!)

7. Quit Disk Utility and install Leopard.

8. When installation is complete, reboot from the DVD with the same options as before.

9. Open Terminal and do a Bootfix

(omit "sudo" from the commands listed on that page and use

"/usr/misc/startupfiletool" instead of just "startupfiletool"). Don't

close the terminal window yet.

10. Execute the command "cd

/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions; mkdir backup; mv

NVDAResman.kext backup" (replace "Leopard" with the name of the volume

you installed Leopard on). Hint: if you used the non-case-sensitive

version of HFS+, you won't have to deal with capitals - except for the

volume name.

11. Remove the DVD and boot into Leopard with the

options "-v -legacy cpus=1" (Don't use the option -x, or Setup will

keep looping at the migration step!)

12. Go through the setup assistant. (Don't forget to set a password, or Sudo will break!)

13. When you boot into OS X for the first time, add "-legacy cpus=1" to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

14. Now

let's enable QE/CI. (This is for nVidia cards.) Install either Natit or

NVInject. (Titan might work as well, while MacVidia will simply give

you an invalid resolution, possibly breaking your screen if it's a CRT!)

15. Open System Profiler and find out the device ID of your card.

16. Open Terminal, use the command "sudo -s" or "sudo bash" to go superuser, then then execute the following command:

"cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA<type of yout VGA>HAL.kext/Contents; nano info.plist"

("type

of your VGA" is NV10 for GeForce 2 and possibly GeForce 4 MX, NV20 for

GeForce 3 and maybe 4, NV30 for GeForce FX, NV40 for GeForce 6 and 7,

and NV50 for GeForce 8, which will require NVInject, as Natit doesn't

support G80)

17. Go to the line with lots of device IDs (under

"IOPCIPrimaryMatch") and remove all of them so that only

"<string></string>" remains.

18. Type your device ID in

the form "0x<device ID from System Profiler>10de" (without

quotes). I used a GeForce 7600GT and I got 0x0391 from System Profiler,

so I had to enter 0x039110de.

19. Press Ctrl+X, press Y, then Enter (Return).

20. Type "cd ../../backup/NVDAResman.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", then do steps 16 to 19 again.

21. Type

"cd ../../../GeForce.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", and repeat steps

17 to 20, looking for "IOPCIMatch" this time. Don't close Terminal yet.

22. Fire

up Marvin's AMD utility. Choose the action "Patch all binaries", click

Browse, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, click Select,

and then click Run. It will fail, don't worry, this is normal. Don't

close AMD Utility.

23. Choose the action "Patch all cpuid's using

cpuid file", deselect the "Simulation" and "Undo" checkboxes. Click the

first Browse button, navigate to your desktop, and look for

"AMD.Patch.Folder". Enter that folder, then go into the subfolder with

the latest date/time in its name. Select cpuid.txt from that folder.

24. Click the second Browse button, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, select the folder and click Run.

25. Once

CPUID patching is done (you can now close AMD Utility), go back to

Terminal and type "cd /Systen/Library/Extensions/backup; cp -R

NVDAResman.kext .." (you might use mv instead of cp).

26. Execute the command "cd ..; chown -R 0:0 NVDAResman.kext; chmod -R 755 NVDAResman.kext; cd ..; rm Extensions.mkext"

27. Repair

permissions and maybe update prebinding, then reboot. You should have

QE/CI and resolution switching enabled. However, you have just broken

shutdown. If you try to shut down OS X, it just hangs. So let's fix it.

28. Extract

Golden.zip to your desktop. Be careful not to extract to a"Golden"

subfolder of your desktop, put the files there directly!

29. Open 9a581PostPatch.sh in TextEdit, and replace all instances of "XXX" with your short username.

30. Open

Terminal, execute "sudo -s", enter your password, CD to your desktop,

then execute the command "./9a581PostPatch.sh". When it asks you

whether to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, you can choose

anything, as the kext will be overwritten later. (This is needed for

dual/quad-core.)

31. Mount the 10.5.1 update DMG.

32. Open MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg in Pacifist 2.5.1.

33. Select and install everything except what I have listed below:

so iam stuck on step 11

all i get is a grey screen and a mouse courser

any ideas?

Nice!!!!! congrats hamb0ne !!

{censored} i ended up passin out last night

how did you install the kernel ?

did you chmod / chown the kernel ? i seem to remember a post about how to properly install a kernel , and swore i saw something about chmod -R 455 or something?

ROPER!! do you need to rename the "Mach_coreCPU.efi.force.cs31 " to mach_kernel first?ROPER!! do you need to rename the "Mach_coreCPU.efi.force.cs31 " to mach_kernel first?

well i installed 9.2 kernel successfully. not much to it really (guess i made a bigger deal out of it than i needed to). just thought my spinning hash mark animation would not freeze anymore after i installed it but i still get the stall. may need to try reinstalling everything from the 10.5.1 kalyway again. :) bahhh

place the 9.2 kernel on your desktop, rename it to mach_kernel then :

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -R ~/desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

diskutil repairpermissions /

exit

sudo reboot

Hey can someone send me that kernel! Lol i think the golden is the reason i get random kernel panicshow's that kernel working for ya?...

yes the OS always boots , its just the animation that halts halfway through the booting process.

i'm still using NVinject v33 and works fine. but i didn't get that freeze where it seems like the pc locked up but osx is still booting. until after the apple graphics update

i know the feeling but what fun would it be if it all just worked :) lol j/k

MrRoper: u get the animation freeze too? It eventually gets into it right? I tried installing iatkos and then the 10.5.2 update and it wouldnt freeze until I tried to get nvinject working for my geforce 8800 ultra. im about to give up lol

yes efi v8 i think is with kalyway 10.5.1 installer. i've replaced a few yes and re-replaced as well after updates depending. but what is your kernel panic show ? have you installed apple graphics update ? NVinject was still workin for me post apple grfx update.never got iatkos to install. never got golden kernel to work. kalyway was least hassle for me

mm did u use efi mrroper? Or replace any kexts i installed using iatkos and it gives me kernel panics etc the golden kernel was more stable for me, did u keep the golden kexts? Thx

Alright well, i first installed Iatkos and then the kalyway update and then installed nvinject and editted nvinject kext, geforce.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext, and nvdaresman.kext with devid of 019410de. I used marvins amd patcher to patch nvdaresman. In VESA mode it boot up really fast but now it takes a long time to boot, it stops at IOKit something i dont remember. If I wait a few minutes I can log in at full resolution with qeci. This also happened with the graphics update. It took forever to log in compared to vesa. Any ideas? I tried the IOPCIClassMatch in your other thread. Should I replace the devids to 019410de or use the ones you had in your thread because I tried both and neither worked. I'm so close but this stupid long boot is driving me crazy. Thanks man.

the new kernel is good, but didn't fix anything though ...

i still need the -f flags for booting up my efi partition,

my rt73 usb stick keep causing KPs .. darn ..

-----------------------

@andy

device id = 0611 (for my case)

so put in 0x061110de in between the strings,

and remove the others, should work.

i'm using kaylway 10.5.1, kalyway 10.5.2, applegrphics update, nvinject in that order.

after nvinject installer ran, i went back in before reboot and modifed geforce.kext and nvdaresman.kext with plist editor again , do all your post kext installation stuff before you reboot. however one thing, i didn't end up editing nvinject.kext or nvdanv50hal at all

but it does sound like your having the same exact issue that i was having. i'd try again, because i also tried both using the entire line of id's like i originally had it in my other thread for nvdaresman but then later in the thread you'll see i ended up adding ONLY my device id and both ways worked for me. no difference.

Alright well, i first installed Iatkos and then the kalyway update and then installed nvinject and editted nvinject kext, geforce.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext, and nvdaresman.kext with devid of 019410de. I used marvins amd patcher to patch nvdaresman. In VESA mode it boot up really fast but now it takes a long time to boot, it stops at IOKit something i dont remember. If I wait a few minutes I can log in at full resolution with qeci. This also happened with the graphics update. It took forever to log in compared to vesa. Any ideas? I tried the IOPCIClassMatch in your other thread. Should I replace the devids to 019410de or use the ones you had in your thread because I tried both and neither worked. I'm so close but this stupid long boot is driving me crazy. Thanks man.

Ok i got it to load don't know how but its working now the next problem

how do i do it

1. When you boot into OS X for the first time, add "-legacy cpus=1" to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

1. Now let's enable QE/CI. (This is for nVidia cards.) Install either Natit or NVInject. (Titan might work as well, while MacVidia will simply give you an invalid resolution, possibly breaking your screen if it's a CRT!)

2. Open System Profiler and find out the device ID of your card.

3. Open Terminal, use the command "sudo -s" or "sudo bash" to go superuser, then then execute the following command:

"cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA<type of yout VGA>HAL.kext/Contents; nano info.plist"

("type of your VGA" is NV10 for GeForce 2 and possibly GeForce 4 MX, NV20 for GeForce 3 and maybe 4, NV30 for GeForce FX, NV40 for GeForce 6 and 7, and NV50 for GeForce 8, which will require NVInject, as Natit doesn't support G80)

4. Go to the line with lots of device IDs (under "IOPCIPrimaryMatch") and remove all of them so that only "<string></string>" remains.

they have <key></key> do i delete this too?

1. Type your device ID in the form "0x<device ID from System Profiler>10de" (without quotes). I used a GeForce 7600GT and I got 0x0391 from System Profiler, so I had to enter 0x039110de.

1. Press Ctrl+X, press Y, then Enter (Return).

2. Type "cd ../../backup/NVDAResman.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", then do steps 16 to 19 again.

3. Type "cd ../../../GeForce.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", and repeat steps 17 to 20, looking for "IOPCIMatch" this time. Don't close Terminal yet.

1. Fire up Marvin's AMD utility. Choose the action "Patch all binaries", click Browse, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, click Select, and then click Run. It will fail, don't worry, this is normal. Don't close AMD Utility.

1. Choose the action "Patch all cpuid's using cpuid file", deselect the "Simulation" and "Undo" checkboxes. Click the first Browse button, navigate to your desktop, and look for "AMD.Patch.Folder". Enter that folder, then go into the subfolder with the latest date/time in its name. Select cpuid.txt from that folder.

There is no cpuid created when i run the software?

1. Click the second Browse button, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, select the folder and click Run.

2. Once CPUID patching is done (you can now close AMD Utility), go back to Terminal and type "cd /Systen/Library/Extensions/backup; cp -R NVDAResman.kext .." (you might use mv instead of cp).

1. Open 9a581PostPatch.sh in TextEdit, and replace all instances of "XXX" with your short username.

2. Open Terminal, execute "sudo -s", enter your password, CD to your desktop, then execute the command "./9a581PostPatch.sh". When it asks you whether to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, you can choose anything, as the kext will be overwritten later. (This is needed for dual/quad-core.)

ok did this but it will only boot with 1 core cpus=1?

1. Mount the 10.5.1 update DMG.

2. Open MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg in Pacifist 2.5.1.

3. Select and install everything except what I have listed below:

CODE

/mach_kernel

/System/Library/Extensions/

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleVIA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

IOHDIXController.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NVDANV10HAL.kext

NVDANV20HAL.kext

NVDANV30HAL.kext

NVDANV40HAL.kext

NVDANV50HAL.kext

NVDAResman.kext

GeForce.kext

how o i not install these option, i can select all but cant unselect the required feilds ?

any ideas

same deal for me muitommy,

the new kernel worked fine for me, didn't fix anything, then Hamb0ne pointed me to a new speedstep 9.2 kernel and i think i'm diggin it, machine seems much snappier than before. i've also installed the new system.kext as well.

the new kernel is good, but didn't fix anything though ...

i still need the -f flags for booting up my efi partition,

my rt73 usb stick keep causing KPs .. darn ..

-----------------------

@andy

device id = 0611 (for my case)

so put in 0x061110de in between the strings,

and remove the others, should work.

so I reinstalled again using iatkos. Got it to work with qeci using nvinject. Editted geforce, nvdanv50, nvdaresman and it worked perfectly. Installed kalyupdater 10.5.2 and it takes a lot longer to boot but eventually it gets in and works like normally with QECI. It looks like it gets in but it is still stuck in the console. But if you wait al little longer it will move on to the desktop. Here are the last three lines: applenforceata: fouind 0 units. kextd[10]IOKitWaitQuiet() time out waiting to write kernel symbols, applenforceata: found 0 units. Did you ever have this issue MrRoper? Thanks.