New ATI Drivers

438 posts in this topic

Heres what I did:

"sudo -s

cp -R /Users/David/Desktop/ATIRadeon.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

... etc for each file starting with ATI and the 2 other files it says to install"

When I start up, the grey Apple screen loads forever. It doesn't go into the login screen.

Heres a screenshot of the -v thing.

error1mo.gif

Something I have noticed is that I could get a PCIe x300 to work for both 128MB of RAM and with the ability to switch resolutions but not for a x300SE so maybe the type of card really does work.

Also, it is possible to get a sticky or another thread that has people list the cards that do work because it can be quite confusing for most people digging through all these threads? Thanks.

I have a question. My card (x850PRO) works in 10.4.3. QE/CE enabled. Whould using these improve performace?

thanks

Awesome , I have an X850 AGP on its way , hopefully I will have similar results! If you have a minute add your car info to the Wiki or if you want I could do it for you , just leet me know.

How do I put it back in?

just repair the permissions and see if that will work.

Boot with -s option.

then in the command line do that mount/sw -uw / thing that it tells you there right above your prompt

type sudo -s and login

then type "cd .." (notice the blank) two times, and

then just enter chown -R root:wheel system/library/extensions/ION*

This should work.

If not, you can do the same, exept the last line. instead, delete the kext by typing rm -R root:wheel system/library/extensions/IONRVRSupport.kext (dont use a wildcart here!!!!!)

Of course you should only do that if you have a copy of that kext somewhere.

good luck :shock:

hi groffy,

if you have a usb-keyboard, try this. it seems that it has a problem with your ps2 device for some reasons.

you can additionally try to boot with -s -f , maybe that gives you an input option, too.

good luck :angry:

Here's an interesting one from my PPC machine...

Freya:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS azurael$ lipo -i ATIDriver 
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: ATIDriver

Freya:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIRuntimeDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS azurael$ lipo -i ATIRuntimeDriver 
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: ATIRuntimeDriver

Has this always been the case? I never bothered checking before I installed 10.4.4.

By the way, this forum template keeps crashing Safari on OS X. Not a good move on a site that is meant to be about OS X :)

Off-topic, but Safari is OK on my OSx86 box too with this site. Worth remembering that some people have odd characters in their sigs - we identified a user who'd picked a phrase in non-English characters that caused some folks' browsers to barf. If you find that threads with a particular user always makes Safari fall over let us know and we'll check it out.

I have got ATINDRV to load and start on my computer (yes it does load and the service initializes and starts).

No it does not work, I get a black screen with two sections of white vertical lines (like bar code). My guess is that:

a.) the driver is locked to the specific memory space the x1x00 series use so allocation to something that's not there causes a fault.

b.) it needs that ATI firmware from the Apple Flash ROM (EFI) loaded and in memory because it calls upon it.

c.) it has no hooks for PCI or AGP graphics cards because the x1600 is onboard in the new iMac's.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we just need to write a Frame Buffer device for ATI, the high-level functions are already there in the ATIRadeon*.kext (OpenGL, CI, QE).

Now that the Macvidia project has done some work on their driver, I notice they have a frame buffer done for NV, and all we need is that portion of the code adapted for the ATI cards. If they would be kind to do it, all ATI users could have full support in no time.

You know where to put pressure on...

Edited by omni

Hey vforce,

I got the same ATI chip (4c66) inside my HP Pavilion ZT3000 series laptop.

Same scenario over here but you can get it to use AGP by following the AGP thread on this forum: this works for me... Although I'm not sure if this is optimizing the OS is any way...

No Core Image or Quartz Extreme for me either :construction:

Testing of several incarnations of the AGP driver fails miserably; bootup locks video on the gray Apple-logo screen. PCI IDs are all set properly - and ATIRadeon8500.kext loads up, even without the AGP support, but it's still dropped back to VESA mode, missing CI/QE support of any kind. Almost seems to finish booting up the rest of the system though, as the HD cranks away for about the same length of time it normally would. I'll try booting single-user and loading kexts manually before firing up the system starter, maybe it'll show some error messages.

Another odd thing about this system: 1400x1050 is just broken. Bad diagonal tearing across the entire screen, save for the mouse pointer. Have to run this one at 1280x1024 for now.

@omni: the X1600 may be onboard, but its still on the PCI-E bus. the appleintelfaq.com output of system_profiler clearly shows the device is reporting the bus as 'PCIe'. ajv on this thread has an X1600 PCI-E which he has been testing, but he still gets the black screen thing. my thought was that maybe we need to find out which kext allows it to recognise the PCI-E bus properly - might be a step in the right direction for X1x00 support.

I have got ATINDRV to load and start on my computer (yes it does load and the service initializes and starts).

No it does not work, I get a black screen with two sections of white vertical lines (like bar code). My guess is that:

a.) the driver is locked to the specific memory space the x1x00 series use so allocation to something that's not there causes a fault.

b.) it needs that ATI firmware from the Apple Flash ROM (EFI) loaded and in memory because it calls upon it.

c.) it has no hooks for PCI or AGP graphics cards because the x1600 is onboard in the new iMac's.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we just need to write a Frame Buffer device for ATI, the high-level functions are already there in the ATIRadeon*.kext (OpenGL, CI, QE).

Now that the Macvidia project has done some work on their driver, I notice they have a frame buffer done for NV, and all we need is that portion of the code adapted for the ATI cards. If they would be kind to do it, all ATI users could have full support in no time.

You know where to put pressure on...

Omni i don't want to fight with you but you get all wrong ... ( include pressure part )

ATINDRV stand from ATI Native Driver - is old PPC OSX concept ,because PPC MAC ATI do have part of driver in card BIOS - atindrv is link between mac ati in "bios" low level driver functions and rest of kernel extensions ( framebuffer ) ...etc

i did not deassembly ATINDRV yet so i don't have real idea if used or just osx decoration ( x86 version with empty functions ) - pure example is "Nvidia Missing calls" - where i found them ?

most of them in Nidia BIOS for MAC NVIDIA

IONDRVSupport.kext is design to load and comunicate with all "*NDRV*" - idea is great but did not apply on Video Card PC version for now untill Apple redesing it , while under PPC IONDRVSupport load and comunicate with video card "NDRV" (ATINDRV) using prototype function apply to whatver card driver using that "NDRV" API (see IONDRVSupport source code - it's speak himself ) , but PC version that handler function is "empty" witch mean no real comunication at low level ( card hardware resources ..etc ) and you have default IONDRVFramebuffer doing ...nothing(VGA basic support ), IOFramebuffer is not "low level" is at UI level ie between lowlevel driver ( ATINDRV ) and osx "windowsserver" and "IO**UserClients" classes

more info here: http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/10.4.4....port/IONDRV.cpp at the end #else // X86 version

IOPEFNDRV * IOPEFNDRV::fromRegistryEntry......

it's "return 0" !. mean even if ATINDRV loaded for what is used ?

or maybe i do get whole think wrong ?

the problem - Apple just do not finish porting IONDRVSupport , IOGraphicsFamily ..etc

you don't need to flash your ATI BIOS, Apple must be "flashed" :D

solution - write ATINDRV ( pointless ), write complete new ATI driver ( possible and not soo hard at all ) or wait Apple to do it ( time unknown )

ATI guy's can try some like replace line in Info.plist where <string>ATY,Wormy</string> with

<string>ATY, *</string> and test or

at <key>IONameMatch</key>

under add:

<dict>

<string>ATY, Wormy</string>

<string>ATY,*</string>

<string>ATY, YOUR ATI MODEL</sting> // example <string>ATY, Rage</string>

<string>pci1002,your ati device ID</string>// in terminal ioreg -l and look for property "compatible"=pci1002, .....

<string>CALL, 1-800-APPLE</string> // j/k

</dict>

and test again

let us of "test results"

i don't think to write "ATI" driver but i can help to someone serious to do it (without "pressure's")

np_, good to see you still active around this board. can i ask you a question - do you know which kext will report bus as 'PCIe' and not PCI under 10.4.4? i think this may be related to the problems users are seeing with X1600 PCI-E cards (black screen etc).

appleintelfaq.com shows system_profiler reporting "Bus: PCIe"

users with X1600 on their PCs testing the 10.4.4 ATI drivers report the machine appears to be running properly, and SSH session running 'system_profiler' reports QE and CI: Supported. the only difference is Bus: PCI instead of PCIe.

any thoughts on this?

np_, good to see you still active around this board. can i ask you a question - do you know which kext will report bus as 'PCIe' and not PCI under 10.4.4? i think this may be related to the problems users are seeing with X1600 PCI-E cards (black screen etc).

appleintelfaq.com shows system_profiler reporting "Bus: PCIe"

users with X1600 on their PCs testing the 10.4.4 ATI drivers report the machine appears to be running properly, and SSH session running 'system_profiler' reports QE and CI: Supported. the only difference is Bus: PCI instead of PCIe.

any thoughts on this?

umm that will be IOPCIFamily

anyway problem is not in "bus" info

np_ : fair enough, just thought it might help. so have you any ideas where the problem lies? do you think the black screen is a deliberate protection by apple, or just a bug? ajv on this thread has an X1600 PCIe - maybe you could coordinate with him about it, if you have any thoughts (and if you can be bothered :hysterical: )

np_ : fair enough, just thought it might help. so have you any ideas where the problem lies? do you think the black screen is a deliberate protection by apple, or just a bug? ajv on this thread has an X1600 PCIe - maybe you could coordinate with him about it, if you have any thoughts (and if you can be bothered :hysterical: )

really i have no idea what can be , i did not have ATI so no way to test

but i can bet is bug not "protection" - there is no reason to protect "drivers"

if card is PCIE shold work as "PCI" so is not that

black screen sounds like driver did not "found/init" hardware - but my own guess

i need more info to have real idea

hi dude. well, i was suspicious because an X1600 card appears to work with the 10.4.4 drivers in all respects except the black screen. ie SSHing into the box and running system_profiler reports Core Image and Quartz Extreme as "Supported". restarting the loginwindow process reveals a light blue screen for a second or so, then back to black. shutting down the machine also reveals the blue screen with the spinning progress thing.

see this thread for more info:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...t=0entry44797

thanks for your input anyway dude, its much appreciated.

Dont know if it helps or hinders but ive got ati x600 and all i get is a black screen too with mouse

but everything seems to be working behind the black screen , i managed to click my ut2004 icon and game started hehe just a mass of black and white squares everywhere lol what im saying is it isnt just the 1x000 series of kexts it seems to be them all