HP Dv6000 & Dv9000 Intel Only

Vampyric

528 posts in this topic

Yes, why? :)

It has a warranty doesn't it?

It only two screws, and it is also the place to put more ram in! I stuffed 4GB in and WOW!! there is no seals or anything so it should be fine!

SticMAN

Out of warranty last month anyway so what have I got to lose ;) ( Graphics card failed a few months back and they replaced the LCD, m,otherboard and graphics card to get it working again !)

I'll take a look at see what I find later today.

Cheers

Dylan

EDIT: I checked the wifi card and it is the nasty 3945. But I guess I might be able to get another which I can use and replace it ..... There is hope yet.

Another question for people..... I got a nice install going now but it does seem to run hot. I've been looking for fixes to this but with no luck.

Any ideas/pointers ?

Dylan

I was wondering the same thing. Installing hardware monitor shows both cores at 70*C. I have heard that it's off, but the fan runs constantly and i worry about how good that is for the computer. I'm running the vanilla kernel right now, but I am considering switching to a speedstep kernel to see if that cools it down at all. Isn't there also some trick with removing thermal kexts?

Whoa, that is pretty dang high. What Bios you running?

Bluedragon's hacked F.27 I believe. This system is damn near perfect by my standards. I just wish I could get it to run quieter/cooler and could get digital sound out via HDMI. Video output works flawlessly with HDMI, but playing back HD content is near useless when you are stuck with the speakers built into the laptop.

Ok the temps are still a bit warm, but the fan is quieter and the computer is cool to the touch now. I removed the thermal kexts manually and now under a small load it's around 64C. Now if only I could get digital output working it would be PERFECT!

I have a DV6000T CTO

C2D T5500

2GB (About to be 4)

100GB 7200 rpm HD

Connetext Audio (Only Speakers work)

GO7400 (Seems to work great, had to edit NVCAP to get vga output to work, but now it does and works great!)

Running Leo4All V2 vanilla and EFI

Everything runs great! Had to make some tweaks to get the trackpad and keyboard to work.

So far the one thing that does not work, is that when my Monitor goes to sleep (not sleep mode), and I touch the trackpad only the backlight will come on. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Oh and my cores run any where from 25c to 40c underload.

If you are running a DV6000 or DV9000 intel, I would really think about going back to the F.16 driver (which is hacked also). The fan goes more, but it really keeps your temps down. There is no way I would run a computer that hot for any extended amount of time.

If you are running a DV6000 or DV9000 intel, I would really think about going back to the F.16 driver (which is hacked also). The fan goes more, but it really keeps your temps down. There is no way I would run a computer that hot for any extended amount of time.

When you say F.16 driver do you mean BIOS ? Mine is running F29 (not hacked) and at the moment my CPU is running at about 50-55 when on extended runs, and I'd like to reduce that if possible.

Can anyone point me to the hacked BIOS'es I'd like to take a look.

And what kind of changes do they make ?

Dylan

The only reason to use the "hacked" bios is to enable us to use Dell wireless cards. There is a really good post (just search) on here, where someone hacked the F.16, F.27, and F.29

If you do not have a Dell Wireless card, then there is no need for the "hacked" version, and you can just download the bios directly from HP. They keep them dated back to F.16

I know it may sound crazy using a much older bios compared to the F.29 (yes, they did skip a bunch of numbers). But it is pretty well known over at the HP notebookreview.com forums that the F.16 keeps the laptops the coolest by far. Although the fan does run a bit more.

Sorry to ask again, but how are you guys reading the temperature of your notebook?

I'm using trial version of this : http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

If you use the 'light' tool then you can have your core temps displayed in the menu bar.

Oh, and thanks for the BIOS info. I'll give F16 a try. And maybe I will have to hack it and install Dell wireless soon....

Ok now I'm trying to get audio out jack to work - anyone have any luck with these on dv9000 series ?

All I know is that in windows is shows up as conexant High Def Audio but I'm not sure who makes the sound etc ? Is it Intel ? anyone know the vendor Id and device ID (OR how do I get them)

EDIT: Ok I have looked under device manager in windows and copied down some numbers and then looked on teh HDA wiki and found a matching one - 0x14f15045 vendor ID

This means the codec is : CX20549

THis matches a listing there which states they are waiting for the new version 2.0b of the patcher to try to get this audio to work fully ( I get audio out from speakers now)

So I guess I'll wait.......

Dylan

I haven't heard of anyone getting the audio out ports to work on a Conexant High Def Audio device (I think these are what they call venice). This is the ONLY thing that is holding me back from only using OSX. I have classes online, and like to watch them on the couch with a pair of headphones on.

If that's the only thing holding you back get a good set of bluetooth headphones. That's what I use when I want to listen discreetly, it didn't work in Tiger, but A2DP works flawlessly with Leopard.

I'll take a look at one of the older BIOS, if you have a hacked F.16, could you PM me? I am using a Dell card so I definately need a hacked version. I like the fact that the fans run quiet on my laptop currently, but not at the risk of overheating.

EDIT: I don't need the PM I found the post with bluedragons work. For those interested here's a brief list of changes in the differnent BIOS revisions up to F.27

According to the HP web site, BIOS F25 & up allow use of 2GB so-dimms, for a total of 4GB RAM, so patching a later BIOS is probably still useful:

F27 Fixes

Resolves an issue where notebooks with a Celeron CPU may stop responding (hang) and display a black screen when resuming from Standby mode.

Resolves an issue where the Sound button is always enabled, even if it has been disabled in the F10 BIOS menu.

F26 Enhancements

Improves the thermal-protect mechanism for the battery pack.

F25 Fixes

Fixes issue where a "blue screen" error is generated if the notebook has two 2-GB memory modules installed.

F25 Enhancements

Modifies thermal control method to improve system stability.

I found the info here.. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...31474&st=20

If that's the only thing holding you back get a good set of bluetooth headphones. That's what I use when I want to listen discreetly, it didn't work in Tiger, but A2DP works flawlessly with Leopard.

I've actually got a bluetooth A2DP receiver that I can plug any jack into - I use it for my mobile to listen in car or in work. But I had no luck getting it to work with my laptop. I think I'll go back and try again.....

As for wireless, it seems that the guys on this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4072&st=680 are getting fairly close to getting it to work. They need more volunteers to try out the test drivers and to report the error logs they get ( I would like to but dont know what I'm doing well enough !)

dylan

I've actually got a bluetooth A2DP receiver that I can plug any jack into - I use it for my mobile to listen in car or in work. But I had no luck getting it to work with my laptop. I think I'll go back and try again.....

As for wireless, it seems that the guys on this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4072&st=680 are getting fairly close to getting it to work. They need more volunteers to try out the test drivers and to report the error logs they get ( I would like to but dont know what I'm doing well enough !)

dylan

you are absolutely right on that furrypotato. thanks to our wonderful developer jalavoui we are nearly there... we are to the point where osx detects the driver and the card. we are just trying to get the network scanning corrected. TBH i am hoping the driver is ready in time for my bday (the 21st) cause it would be a totally kickass present towards myself to have a fully operational installation. if that happens TATA Windows (considering vista is a bloody piece of sheit anyways)

you are absolutely right on that furrypotato. thanks to our wonderful developer jalavoui we are nearly there... we are to the point where osx detects the driver and the card. we are just trying to get the network scanning corrected. TBH i am hoping the driver is ready in time for my bday (the 21st) cause it would be a totally kickass present towards myself to have a fully operational installation. if that happens TATA Windows (considering vista is a bloody piece of sheit anyways)

I'll admit that i will keep a small windows partition for emergencies but otherwise I am already using OSX all the time, but of course only with a cable for internet at home so working wireless would indeed be the icing on the cake !

Oh, and I got my bluetooth sound working today ! For anyone else interested I am using a itech S35 , which only cost me some £7 a few months back. It will give me about 4-6 hours on a charge and sounds pretty good-it's got a 3.5mm jack socket in it that my home sound system plugs into to play the sound from my laptop - an acceptable solution until someone gets the conexant high def drivers working.

Bye bye Windows !

Flashed the hacked F.16 and as far as I can tell there is no difference in temps. Still running in mid 60s. I am fairly certain that these temp readouts are off by several degrees as the laptop is still cool to the touch, unlike in Vista where it gets very warm.

I don't want to accuse anybody of being noobs, but I'm able to get Audio Out (headphones) on my dv9000. I just went to system preferences>sound> and changed the output device to headphones. Plugging the headphones in didn't work like it does in vista, I had to manually switch it. Of course, I had to download and install ALC268 to even get any sound at all.

I assumed that you guys had already checked that, but as we all know: The road of assumptions is lined with coffins.

What are the specs of your computer? Is it a Dv9000t or DV9500t? I have sound working just fine, but there is no headphone option in system preferences.

I have a dv9500. I have an option in sound preferences to switch from external speakers to headphones (or something like that, it's paraphrased). I would go check right now, but then I wouldn't be able to eat and be on the internet at the same time (because the wireless isn't supported yet). I'll go check during my Psychology lecture in an hour.