Dell XPS M1330 Hardware

smellyshoes90

322 posts in this topic

Can someone provide noob instructions (and links, if possible) on how to install:

1) nvidia 10.5.2 ktexts using nvinject for hardware graphic support

2) PowerManagement.bundle and AppleSMBIOS.kext so Sleep works properly

3) Sound drivers so I can get at least sound out of my headphone jack

Much would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

1 Here is a thread wit an easy installer for the kexts: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78033

2 Is not the PowerManagement.Bundle or the AppleSMBIOS.kext that gives the ability to get propper sleep, but the speical kernel from ToH named precisely mach_sleep.

3 Thread with Taruga's patcher for Sound here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

at the moment i dont think sleep, shutdown or restart works

Is a matter of combination of several things, you cannot get sleep unless you get QE/CI, propper kernel (ToH sleep), AppleSMBIOS, AppleACPI, PowerManagement and maybe other kexts, frameworks or bundles.

Restart and Shutdown works on some installations but only if you don´t have 10.5.2 nvidia Kexts.

Restart works 100% for me, I believe I remember trying shutdown and it worked also

edit: yup, shutdown works

If you install the BETA 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts you will gaing QE/CI but you will loose shutdown restart.

Maybe when the 10.5.2 update gain it's final stage we can get both things and probably propper sleep too.

Thank you macgirl for the reply and ongoing help!

edit: I got the 8400gs working, but I have no idea, for the life of me, how to get the AppleHDA patcher to work. I downloaded codec.txt and tried dragging it to the HDA patcher, the app itself, and nothing ever happens. Am I doing this wrong?

edit 2: I opened codec.txt with the patcher and it works! ahh life trying a new os :(

Ok now that most of everything is set, I have a few last questions.

I want to install the new kernal, speedstep, and AppleSMBios, etc to get Speedstep and battery indicator to work. I am currently using the Kalyway install with Vanilla kernel installed. I am reading:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2727

but I have no idea how to replace a kernal.

Also, what are the downfalls of going with the mach_kernal, I believe that system updates will not work anymore, correct?

Today I made an important discover, I thought that disabling Beam Sync with Quartz Debug the graphics driver increased its performance, but I couldn't reproduce it again, but after using the M1330 I discover again that the performance was increased, so I try to reproduced again, this time Screen Saver was involved, but not exactly.

The performance is gained after the screen gets off automatically with the Energy Saver Preference Panel or manualy with the Sleep menu Item on the Apple Menu.

Before this OpenGL Extensions Viewer reports 48 FPS in almost all tests, after the screen gets off and back it reports 489, 10x times better.

If you want to try the "Sleep" trick you need to boot with the sleep kernel.

I put the Display sleep to 1 minute on the Battery Mode, so I only need to wait the first minute to get this trick an then I connect the Power Adapter.

Hi all,

I'm following this forum for a couple of days now and i have used all the usefull tips and tricks to install osx86 on my M1330.

I have installed the Aitkos release with a vanilla kernel on my M1330. Everything works fine, i have quartz enabled with the 10.5.2 drivers and sound through the headphone.

The only problem i have is random kernel panics. I cannot reproduce it. It is not while starting up OSX but when i'm already working in OSX. Does any of you have the same experience?

thanks in advance,

Mark

I installed kalyway on my Vostro 1400 (practically identical to an M1330) and in system info it is showing my cpu as 1.2ghz instead of what it actually is, 1.6ghz. Any ideas?

I built kalyway leopard with efimbr and the two vanilla options.

Hi all,

I'm following this forum for a couple of days now and i have used all the usefull tips and tricks to install osx86 on my M1330.

I have installed the Aitkos release with a vanilla kernel on my M1330. Everything works fine, i have quartz enabled with the 10.5.2 drivers and sound through the headphone.

The only problem i have is random kernel panics. I cannot reproduce it. It is not while starting up OSX but when i'm already working in OSX. Does any of you have the same experience?

thanks in advance,

Mark

Im getting that too...i think it might be related to the graphics. i cant seem to reproduce any of them just yet.

Mario: You're a great help, however I can't download the .kext from the dumb server. Do you mind if you send it to me via email attachment? <"myusername"@gmail.com> I'll upload to another server for download or you can upload to a server.

As for your mouse, I'll keep a lookout on the solution for you. No idea how to fix it.

Battery: The Vanilla installation is conflicting with the battery indicator. With Vanilla present the indicator will not show up. Can try to replace the Vanilla's ACPIPlatform.kext to fix, I have not tried it. I did a reinstall without Vanilla and the indicator shows up after replacing the PowerManagement.bundle. Works perfect.

HDD: I have NTFS and HFS+ partition, I need 20Gb from the NTFS to merge into the HFS+. Any idea how I can do that without destroying files?

I have successfully installed speedstep, but as with the other members, I do not see the battery indicator nor do I see the battery icon due to installing with the vanilla kernel. Has anyone tried this or found a way to fix it so we can see it also?

than we only can hope this will be solved with the official 10.5.2 kext's

can anyone confirm that there are no hang ups or kernel panics with the vesa drivers?

I never had KP on vesa mode.

Hi,

I've tried to inject the right audio codec (codec0.txt, post85) with AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 (drag & drop on the patcher/open with the patcher) but no way, the headphone sound is not working.

Somebody has a idea ?

& last question : is there a way on darwin boot to set up a default start up volume ?

(on windows boot manager, first i have to select mac os, then i have to press return key & finally i must choose for the default start up volume)

Thx u in advance

---------------

XPS 1330 dual boot (Vista ultimate/Leopard 10.5.1)

GeForce 8400GS working

Wifi 4965AGN not working

Sigmatel sound neither :)

hi macgirl, this sounds great but can you explain what it exactly does?

better videocard support so we will have less KP.

What it does is the same as NVinject or Natit and AlCinject (enables/injectors for graphics and sound cards to be detected as they were in EFI)

see this thread to clarify things: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.msg1104.html

Software Protector Suite Updated for Figerprint Scanner (Biometrics Coprocessor).

see thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry473682

I'm on iATKOS r2, I'm curious if your computer can shut down without you having to force it.. and if your gfx

"fix"/replacement works with the EFI that uphuck made, because its not netkas's EFI... Sleep also works off the back perfectly on uphuck's dvd.

I did't test any release of iAtkos, so I don't know.

So it really sleeps? and you have QE and CI? With which kexts?

Which options did you chose when installing?

With Nvidia 10.5.2 kexts it does not shutdown or reboot automaticaly, needs to push power button until shutoff. without thos kext shutdown and reboot works fine.

hi i've just replaceed the new Boot.plist and now the nvidia works without nvinj.. thx macgirl

i have some trouble.. i'm using kalyway installation dvd, i replaced the ACPIPlatform & Powermanagment to get battery icon work but in -v mode i can see that error:

- Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

- Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

i'm using vanilla kernel. I choose to install EFI from kaly dvd but i don't know if it works... how to check it?

thank you!!

edit:just one thing.. what's you battery time at full charge?.. i get 3h with 9cell battery.. in Win i get almost 5h