Dell XPS M1330 Hardware

smellyshoes90

322 posts in this topic

I asked macgirl how to fix that problem, and he solution was to upgrade to 4.10, i didnt find an easy way to upgrade, so i downloaded the mac.nub 10.4.10 dvd, ver 1 r5, but now when i try to install it cant see my HD only the DVD drive is displayed un the disk utility, i already tried changing from AHCI to ATA, but with no success, any ideas on how to solve this

Neither OS X (part #4) or Vista (#3) can read each other. Interestingly the Dell Recovery (#2), a ntfs partition, is readable in OS X and Vista. When I try to mount the Vista partition is OS X nothing happens. The log in Disk Utility says it was mounted successfully. Any ideas?

Maybe it is mounted, but there is no Icon on the Desktop.

How is mounted?, do you use Fuse? There is a new NTFS mounter BETA that permits writing.

I have 4 partitions:

1 Vista NTFS

2 MacOSX HFS

3 Data FAT32 (Mac OS X can write to it and also Vista, there are all my Images and iTunes taht I can use on Mac, Vista or Linux)

4 Kubuntu EXT3

I was just using the OS's built in Disk Utility. The Disk Utility itself would not say it was mounted, just the log (I was looking for some sort of an error code.)

I looked into FUSE, but was waiting for the wireless/ethernet issues to be solved before I set up a FAT 32 drive similar to yours. Are you using FUSE or something else?

OS X is not very useful without internet access ...

I may have to cave and buy a broadcom wireless card, but still hoping that http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...976&st=3340 can produce some results.

XcAbAr: is it possible to upgrade to Leopard osx86 from the Tiger installation? also can you please kindly outline how the installation steps of installing Tiger using the xXx release from start to fixing the usb and network?

Hey,

Honestly, I'm working on my Leopard install right now so if you wait on me for an step-by-step guide, it might take a while. I'll try a quickie though. The xXx install disc boots without you changing anything in the bios and installs just fine. You have to setup your partitions the same way you set it up for any other installs (create a primary partition id=af) boot into the disc and format it to a journaled partition using disc utility.

The install should run just fine. Select only what you need. If you have the dell wireless card, you don't need any networking drivers. (I still haven't fixed my ethernet and sound though, primarily because I don't use it much).

Don't select any extra kernels to install, it's automatically installed with the OS

In the ATA controllers section, select the ich8

I believe you said you have the 8400m so, select the nvidia mobility package and you should honestly be set. I'm not sure if the sound packages on there work or not because i haven't tried it.

Don't bother selecting any usb packages either because they both don't work

Post install, reboot and run throught the intro {censored}, it shoudl automatically find your wireless card but no usb. Before you reboot again after your software update, you should fix your usb

To fix your usb, go here http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html and download the 10.4.10 version and install it (*note - glance at the instructions in the downloaded package first, it tells you the package to install - heads up, it's the one without "log" in its file name)

After the install, navigate to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration on your install partition/disk and drag the NetworkInterfaces.plist to the desktop. Open the copy on the desktop with TextEdit and change the following:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en2</string>

It probably was initially a 0 or a 1, you are changing it to 2 , one for youw wlan and the other for bluetooth. Now change this too:

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>2</integer>

Now save the file and drag it back into the SystemConfiguration folder, authenticate and replace the file there already. No open up disk utility, reair permissions and reboot your machine for good measure. Upon reboot, your keyboard layout will show up wrong, just X it out, it's not true. Now open up network and it'll tell you that it found two "new devices" (Airport & Bluetooth) and to check if their settings are correct, check if you must and then save. You should now be good to go..

If you want to correct your resolution to 1280x800, just search on this site and I'm sure you'll find directions quite easily. I can't remember the exact inputs off the top of my head, that's why.

Good Luck...turned out longer than I thought it'd be...lol...

great! thanks for this, very much appreciated...i'll give it a try in a few days when my broadcom wireless arrives - as i understand there is no QE/CI as yet even from your install correct?

fyi, over on uphuck, there is an indicative date of 9th for Leo.

i'm confirming that the WWAN slot can be used as a WLAN. just use the same color markings as indicated on the wlan chip. (why do i need two wireless adaptors is beyond my comprehension)

havent have time to install tiger/leo tho.

Leopard successfully installed on my m1330 via BrazilMac Patch

Too much work though. Most things work right off the bat

In order to escape kernel panics, you need to remove the natit kext and replace it with the mobility one and also remove the intel management thing in the post patch.

Enjoy

XcAbAr: does leo support the display driver or is it still internal/vesa mode?

Nope, display driver still not supported.

On another note, i've run into an airport problem. The card isn't detected anymore. Only thing i can think of that could have caused it is when I tried to do the time machine fix and replaced the IONetworking...kext. That actually broke Time Machine as opposed to fix it. Replaced the kext with the original and repaired permissions and it works again (sorta) but now my airport card is nowhere to be found.

Anyone have any ideas?

i'm confirming that the WWAN slot can be used as a WLAN. just use the same color markings as indicated on the wlan chip. (why do i need two wireless adaptors is beyond my comprehension)

havent have time to install tiger/leo tho.

Those are no WLAN Slots Only, they are Mini PCI-E slots

The reason for a WWAN plus WLAN is because there re new servcides of Internet providers that you can have from some of Cellular companies.

VAIOs come with a card already installed.

Nope, display driver still not supported.

On another note, i've run into an airport problem. The card isn't detected anymore. Only thing i can think of that could have caused it is when I tried to do the time machine fix and replaced the IONetworking...kext. That actually broke Time Machine as opposed to fix it. Replaced the kext with the original and repaired permissions and it works again (sorta) but now my airport card is nowhere to be found.

Anyone have any ideas?

I also installed Leopard in the XPS and Upgraded my AMD from 10.4.10 to Leo.

IONetworking has no kexts for Airports, look at 10.4.10 IO80211Family.kext Plugins, because Leo does not come with some.

Right Now I'm using the AppleHDA and ALCinject kexts from 10.4.10 to get sound, only from headphones though, NVInject and System Profiler reports CI by Software and no QE

My Zydas USB WiFi works with 10.4.10 kexts.

Surprisingly my USB to Ethernet adapter does not need kexts anymore, Leo came with new kext, AppleUSBEthernet, is Apple planning to adopt USB to Ethernet dongles for future Macs?

VMware Fusion has problems on the XPS but not on the AMD, that is weird.

Hi there, new to this forum :)

Currently looking into about how to install OS X on my XPS 1330. I'll post all of my experiences later on in this (or another) thread, but for now, let's keep it with my specs:

T7100

2GB

120GB

8400GS (should've picked the X3100 I recon after reading this thread :D!)

the Intel AGB wireless card

I'm getting the xXx.10.4.10 OSX image now, i'll see how that works and hook you up with the info!

Cheers

So oke, first try did not work out properly.

Image used:

Uphuck 1.4i R3 10.4.9

What have I done?:

I've got the DVD and burned it to a normal DVD+R. Injected my laptop with it and rebooted.

Got the first screen where I had to hit enter, did so and came in the installation instructions of the Uphuck DVD. Couldn't see any drives at first, but got to the disk utility, formatted the normal drive as Journaled and suddenly I had the ability to install it!

I choose al of the options for my laptop (except for those 10.4.4 Login screen stuff etc and I installed, all went perfect.

However, next time I booted my laptop I got to the intro gray screen, and while it was loading it didn't do anything. Eventually I got some kind of error thing in the middle of the Apple, it was something like a little grey'ish square with a cross in it. As I didn't know I could get into verbose mode with -v I didn't know what the error eventually was so I didn't bother with it anymore, and reinstalled XP to keep it usable.

Does anyone else see this as known and has the answer to my prayers?

XcAbAr: can you tell us if you applied the ppf1 /ppf2 patches when you installed it? i cant eveen seem to boot it (even dual core cpu disabled)

it stops at

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors = 0.20

edit: followed the uphuck install method and now i can get into the installer

I like this computer. I will probably buy one. Thank you for sharing your work on it!

Gigabit ethernet cards for USB are available, eg-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833314025

(can be ordered from NCIX in canada)"A KEXT driver is available which will enable this device in MAC OS X (INTEL). USBAx8817x 1.0.3b6". That should carry over to OSX86 (but may not, careful).

I'm sorry, I need gigabit ethernet, so I'll buy that eventually. Sound via headphone port is fine, and USB sound cards are available (eg. Turtle Beach micro) that work with OS X. I'll live without QE animations on a 2.2ghz processor. The Realtek 8187 USB (eg. Alfa) works with OSX86 10.4.9, so there's more external wireless. The Sony SZ-680 competes here; it is FAR more expensive, but comes with GMA x3100 available in hybrid graphics. It may be more compatible, but people who need QE can look into that. I hope this info helps someone.

My questions are-

1. Is speedstep working? Any problems with it at all? Does the fan stay off with it on maximum?

2. The options of wireless Intel 3945, Dell 1490, and Dell 1505; do any of them work in OS X? I will research this too.

3. Was Kubuntu (linux in general) working fine if anyone knows?

4. In Windows, if Powermiser and speedstep are on maximum savings, does the fan go on with games etc?