Dell XPS M1330 Hardware

smellyshoes90

322 posts in this topic

Hi guys! Finally fixed my installation. Now onto the driver part. There seems to be quite a lot

of developement lately on the M1330. Which also means that will someone volunteer to compile

a list of driver source and brief install method? I would like to do it, but I don't feel too familiar with Leopard yet.

Just been through a transition from Tiger/M1210 to Leopard/M1330, not very smooth.

Anyway happy new year and Rock On!

Macgirl & Eightballbill: The audio codec suggested works fine, Outputs on the first headphone jack.

None on speaker nor second headphone jack. SPDIF is unavaliable. By the way, the touch panel volume

control works fine. And what a suprise, the infrared remote is working too for almost all button. Only the mute is a bit wonky, can't seems to shut it up. The built in mic is also not working, yet to try the line in/mic jack.

Don't install NVinject Go 0.20 yet kernel panic for me. Unable to boot verbose stuck soon after loading display driver.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the NVinject without booting to OS X?

Mute does not work with either the panel or the remote (the remote was working since ever, Tiger BTW).

To make the mute works it needs a modified codec or more tweaked kext.

You can uninstall the NVinject from windows with Mediafour's MacDrive (Which I do not recomend becaus it damaged some files, but it is my experience).

The best way, IMO, is to boot in Single User Mode (-s) then mount the volume as Read/Write and move the kext out of extensions folder

I have no problems with NVinjectGo 0.20.

XP is installed now, I am reinstalling the rest of the software it had before, I hate that XP does not work on GUID disks damn :wallbash:

iTunes: Playback in iTunes is rather poor. Not sure you guys notice it or not. My Zen has a better output quality. Maybe it's just me.

Wireless: Intel 4965 AGN's developement is horribly slow, I took a Broadcom card from a HP tx1000 tablet and installed. Works right out of the box, no driver installation. The controller seems to be Broadcom BCM4311, might want to give that a shot yourself.

Display: I can't get NVInjectGo to work, kernel panic everytime. Tell me how you installed the driver if you have sucessfully done it please.

Power Management: No battery indicator for me but SpeedStep is working. Anyone got the indicator working? OS X identifies my XPS as a Mac Pro. Anyway to reconised it as a portable?

Ethernet: The network controller of the XPS is Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M in case someone knows how to port a driver from linux.

iTunes: Playback in iTunes is rather poor. Not sure you guys notice it or not. My Zen has a better output quality. Maybe it's just me.

Wireless: Intel 4965 AGN's developement is horribly slow, I took a Broadcom card from a HP tx1000 tablet and installed. Works right out of the box, no driver installation. The controller seems to be Broadcom BCM4311, might want to give that a shot yourself.

Display: I can't get NVInjectGo to work, kernel panic everytime. Tell me how you installed the driver if you have sucessfully done it please.

Power Management: No battery indicator for me but SpeedStep is working. Anyone got the indicator working? OS X identifies my XPS as a Mac Pro. Anyway to reconised it as a portable?

Ethernet: The network controller of the XPS is Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M in case someone knows how to port a driver from linux.

Of course the playback is bad, it uses a "HD sound" kext that is patched, that is not the real/specific for this card.

Battery indicator working here, I applied files from this guide: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2727

The System profiler reports a Mac Pro because that's how the PC EFI was programmed, the system profiler does not digg to you Hardware, really, it just reports what other programs find and some have predefined texts, you can even set to report you have a Cray computer.

Why take an HP card if Dell has Broadcom's, even they have "Draft N" ones.

I Downloaded NVInjectGo from NVinject site and one from Devilhood's thread of Dell 6400 etc. Unpackit and copied to /System/Library/Extensions with Terminal coomand "cp -R /Users/macgirl/Desktop/NVinjectGo.kext /System/Library/Extensions/"

Then I rebooted and got QE/CI qith distorted colors, but manage to fix them after running tets with glviewer.

But you can try NJinject or Natit also, NVinjectGo is not the only solution.

Today I was looking to the Windows driver of the NIC, it uses the same driver for other broadcom cards like 570x and 575x with some differences in parameters, the inf file intruct the installe that use the BCM5788 parameters with mobile version settings.

I modified the AppleBCM5751.kext with some success, it recognizes the card but does not make the link up, so it cant make any connection.

Since there is no direct identification with the 5788 card is very hard to patch the kext, but I read that some users with 5788 card are running flawlessly with 10.5.1 so there is hope.

Oh, by the way there is already an efort to develop a BCM57xx driver: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72256

Sorry for my inexprience with OS X. I'm only using the HP Broadcom card only because that's the one on my hand working with OS X. I'm aware of the Dell Wireless 1505, previously I use the Dell Wireless 1490 ABG. Very good card.

Not aware of the sound kext being lousy, it just came to me that the quality is poor.

Anyway, we all have a common goal. To create, test and run drivers for M1330. So let's keep up the good work. Thanks macgirl.

I'm still unable to get NVinject to work, gives me kernel panic everytime. Macgirl can you please point me to the installation that you used? And maybe other alternative to QE/CI. Thanks.

smellyshoes90 I don't criticize your effort on this, but the wifi card thing appears me odd.

Thanks to you too, you started this thread and I bought this lappy because I found that it can be used with Mac OS X.

My recomentdation is a simplier one, delete all your 10.5.2 nvidia kexts (you are workin with these right?) and the opengl framwork.

Download the installer that johnniecarcinogen made and install them again with this. The installer location is in a thread he created days ago: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78033

hi guys,

just wanted to say that this is awesome...i have a vostro 1400 and everything mentioned works right, since it is similar hardware. 1 question though-

the applehda patcher- so i downloaded the patcher then dragged the codec onto it, and nothing happened after i rebooted. is there something im missing?

correction: the hda patcher does something...i do have the sigmatel 9228, yet it doesnt work after i reboot. anything else i should try?

Not in the standard drivers, there is a thread in the Harware section of a driver for Synaptics pads, but I read that it emulates the behavior of the "Apple" pads, like 2 finger scrolling.

I have no option for the battery indicator in Preferences > Energy Saver.

It only appears when you had replace the PowerManagement.bundle

Also check the onwership and permission are the correct ones.

From what I know, Tapping on touchpad can be enabled via:

System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad > Trackpad Gestures

Just check the box for clicking. 2 Finger scrolling and edge scroll not seen before for me.

But I'm looking for edge scrolling too.

Tried replacing the bundle from this post. No effect. Done repair permission, chown and chmod.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...powermanagement

Any more .bundle or .kext that's linked to the battery? Maybe it's conflicting or something.

Update: Battery indicator shows up, but the status bar keeps "crashing" performance in OS is sluggish. The bar appears then dissapears and go on and on. However I believe I'm one step closer to getting the battery indicator working. Probably conflicting programs.

By now I'm thinking it's because of Kalyway's Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext making things screw up. Replacing the .kext might fix it.

Mario: You're a great help, however I can't download the .kext from the dumb server. Do you mind if you send it to me via email attachment? <"myusername"@gmail.com> I'll upload to another server for download or you can upload to a server.

As for your mouse, I'll keep a lookout on the solution for you. No idea how to fix it.

Battery: The Vanilla installation is conflicting with the battery indicator. With Vanilla present the indicator will not show up. Can try to replace the Vanilla's ACPIPlatform.kext to fix, I have not tried it. I did a reinstall without Vanilla and the indicator shows up after replacing the PowerManagement.bundle. Works perfect.

HDD: I have NTFS and HFS+ partition, I need 20Gb from the NTFS to merge into the HFS+. Any idea how I can do that without destroying files?

Sure there is a procedure to add another partition as aditional space, but there are some restrictions like the addional partition should be in second place, see this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68612

If you have something like this:

NTFS 80GB

HFS+ 60GB

you can reduce NTFS to 60GB directly with vista or with GParted Live CD. then move the HFS+ partition near to the NTFS, create a partition of 20GB as Fat32, boot in Mac OS and format that partiton with HFS+ and do the procedure described in the previous linked thread.

A few comments... about my m1330 and iATKOS

I tried to boot off the DVD, I got to the installer, Formatted the entire drive into 1 HFS Journaled Partition... WIth MBR. Then i selected the drive, Went into coustimise, selected EFI and hit install. ... I got though the install... and rebooted to a flashing "_", any advice on what Ive done wrong. I noticed something in the utilities menu something along the lines of EFI loader/patcher, so i Hit Yes, i typed in the disk # (0) and the parititon # (1)... Then it said it couldnt write to a read only device... and couldnt unmount, although it said to reboot.... I rebooted and i got the same thing... I've tried this about 10 times already any advice?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 8400 GS will be working before chrismas. I guess the Driver is in the 10.5.2 package, and if you put the KEXT on 10.5.1 it should work... (I think)

Thanks

Hey Zeke,

Im having the exact same problem.... how did you solve this issue?

Im downloading g-parted live cd and am going to check if the boot flag problem.... but im really not sure...

I do get the unable to unmount error... how do I solve that?

thanks

Hey Zeke,

Im having the exact same problem.... how did you solve this issue?

Im downloading g-parted live cd and am going to check if the boot flag problem.... but im really not sure...

I do get the unable to unmount error... how do I solve that?

thanks

The reason is retarded. Use gParted, select the partition uncheck the "boot" flag, then check it... reboot and it will work.. remember uncheck the boot flag then check it again....

Newcomer to these forums and osx86, read all 9 pages of this thread:

I got osx86 10.5.1 kalyway installed on my m1330 (guid boot with vanilla kernel) dual booting with vista and using the darwin boot loader. I had to swap out my intel wireless N with my brothers dell 1390 wireless g card to get wireless to work. Everything is going well except a few things. When it goes to sleep, it shuts off the hdd but keeps the screen on, when going out of sleep it kills wireless which I have to turn off then back on to fix.

Can someone provide noob instructions (and links, if possible) on how to install:

1) nvidia 10.5.2 ktexts using nvinject for hardware graphic support

2) PowerManagement.bundle and AppleSMBIOS.kext so Sleep works properly

3) Sound drivers so I can get at least sound out of my headphone jack

Much would be appreciated, thanks in advance!