Dell XPS M1330 Hardware

smellyshoes90

322 posts in this topic

I like this computer. I will probably buy one. Thank you for sharing your work on it!

Gigabit ethernet cards for USB are available, eg-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833314025

(can be ordered from NCIX in canada)"A KEXT driver is available which will enable this device in MAC OS X (INTEL). USBAx8817x 1.0.3b6". That should carry over to OSX86 (but may not, careful).

I'm sorry, I need gigabit ethernet, so I'll buy that eventually. Sound via headphone port is fine, and USB sound cards are available (eg. Turtle Beach micro) that work with OS X. I'll live without QE animations on a 2.2ghz processor. The Realtek 8187 USB (eg. Alfa) works with OSX86 10.4.9, so there's more external wireless. The Sony SZ-680 competes here; it is FAR more expensive, but comes with GMA x3100 available in hybrid graphics. It may be more compatible, but people who need QE can look into that. I hope this info helps someone.

In Leopard the kext is even not necessary, my Linksys USB to Ethernet uses AppleUSBEthernet.kext

Anyway, how a Gigabit (1000kbit) have an advantage over a USB2 (480kbit)?

maybe some express card...

My questions are-

1. Is speedstep working? Any problems with it at all? Does the fan stay off with it on maximum?

It worked with the last Speedstep kext/app but since I have the 8400GS it can't sleep, maybe with the Intel GMA X3100 that Paulicat made a Natit

Fan is working according to temperature, I hear more noise when the temp is riching 60º celcius (reported by Temperature Monitor on the cores)

2. The options of wireless Intel 3945, Dell 1490, and Dell 1505; do any of them work in OS X? I will research this too.

3945 is on progress, best bet is 1490 or 1505 they are recognized as Airports

3. Was Kubuntu (linux in general) working fine if anyone knows?

Last Kubuntu is working great, sleep/WiFi except the Finger Scanner (I do not tested the card Reader yet).

4. In Windows, if Powermiser and speedstep are on maximum savings, does the fan go on with games etc?

This one I don't know, I almost do not use Vista, never had maximum savings, but the major issue is that I didn't use it for games.

hello, I am having problems installing leo, i installed it with the toh dvd, and after finishing installation, when restarting, i just get a blank screen with a cursor blinking, i already tried the usr/misc/script.sh but it doesnt work for me, also tried the bootloader fix, bus got nothing, hav any one got this problem, is there a fix? thanks

after installing the XxX installer i end up with a "missing operating system".

i've already set the osx partition active. does anyone know why? :(

Are you sure you set the right partition active, I've never seen that message for OSX before, only for windows...

Are you sure you set the right partition active, I've never seen that message for OSX before, only for windows...

yep. i've set the OSX partition active in vista before i rebooted.

can you please kindly tell me the following bios settings you've used to install the XxX version?

ATA or AHCI?

flash cache module enabled/disabled?

multi core enabled/disabled?

sidestep enabled/disabled?

during setup i've selected: nvidia mobility and ICH8 (the rest are not selected)

having said that, i've been playing with uphuck's 1.4 and i manage to boot up using nvidia and SATA/PATA options during install (but in bios i had to ATA because it wouldnt show up in the uphuck installer). then, i had to press f12 to boot but then i did not press anykey to start the os - just like the others have mentioned here. - is there a way to fix this?

would like to use 10.4.10 version (rather than 10.4.9) so i'll keep trying....

Thanks for your help MacGirl!

Gigabit could offer a performance benefit. A 100BaseT ethernet jack would only need to perform to a certain level, while a gigabit one would have to perform to a higher standard. I'm not sure if the USB2 gigabit could do jumbo frames. There could be some marketing-speak where the gigabit-ethernet USB link is slower than a standard gigabit link, but I'm not aware of that. Since the port is the same, I'd imagine the difference would be in the chipset.

Well I have more than triple boot, I have 4 partitions.

Vista, (NTFS)

Mac OS (HFS+)

DOS (fat32 partition that I use for share fles between OSes, like iTunes)

Linux (ext3, Kubuntu gutsy gibbon based)

My Bootloadder is Darwin, and grub when enter the Linux partition.

In Kubuntu sound is working, it uses the ALSA driver, so it recognizes the jacks and pathces so you can jear sound from speakers, whe a headphone is iserted in the jac it mutes the speakers and you hear in the headphones.

Well I have more than triple boot, I have 4 partitions.

Vista, (NTFS)

Mac OS (HFS+)

DOS (fat32 partition that I use for share fles between OSes, like iTunes)

Linux (ext3, Kubuntu gutsy gibbon based)

My Bootloadder is Darwin, and grub when enter the Linux partition.

In Kubuntu sound is working, it uses the ALSA driver, so it recognizes the jacks and pathces so you can jear sound from speakers, whe a headphone is iserted in the jac it mutes the speakers and you hear in the headphones.

So can you get a codec dump from Kubuntu which would identify the correct NodeIDs?

For those who are still working it out - Here are following options you can try:

In BIOS set your hard drive to ATA mode (the rest should be on its default settings). If you choose AHCI, only the XxX release will detect your hard drive and it will not show up in uphucks. in vista, follow the diskpart steps to set your unallocated partition to af. i dont know how others managed to bypass this step because on both uphuck and XxX releases, the partition refuse to be mounted if you dont do this step.

If you have the uphuck release - boot up with cpus=1 -v, half way through you need to eject your disc and insert it again to proceed

If you have the XxX release - you can boot straight into the installer without specifying any options

I chose ich8, nvidia mobility, power management/speedstep from the options and then proceeded with the setup. on the XxX options i did not choose power management.

Make sure your primary OSX partition is BEFORE your extended/logical partitions and the darwin bootloader will be fine.

(if you use uphuck's release there will be tearing on the nvidia mobility graphics - but not on XxX)

does anyone know how to use the speedstep option from the uphuck release and use it on XxX after install (or is it not possible because its 10.4.10) ?

do you replace the kext after installing and booting up into osx?

i'm not too familar with unix commands to do that (but i have a feeling it has to do with chmod) :)

would i be able to pull the speedstep kexts from the uphuck disc and use it on my current XxX install instead?

do you replace the kext after installing and booting up into osx?

i'm not too familar with unix commands to do that (but i have a feeling it has to do with chmod) ^_^

would i be able to pull the speedstep kexts from the uphuck disc and use it on my current XxX install instead?

Yes, that is how I replaced it and for repairing permissions:

You have to boot in single user mode (-s -f -v in darwin boot loader), them gain write access,

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

then type:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

reboot

That's all quoted from somewhere I can't remember, to whoever actually wrote that out first, all credit to you.

I first tried to make a read/write copy of the uphuck image and replace the kext that way but the system folder remained read only and there was no repairing permissions for that..

Not sure about the speedstep stuff though

Sorry...

XcAbAr: cool thanks - i'll give it a ago after playing with the XxX release. its quite buggy so far, sometimes boots and sometimes not with cpu panics. sorry i'm a bit new at this and i'm still learning - whereabouts is the path of the mobility kexts?

also can anyone tell me what should i do to get the battery indicator to show up which i assume is the power management issue - but i've had issues selecting that as an option from the XxX installer?

thanks in advance.

for those with cpu panics, i find that leaving a cd in the drive seems to avoid this problem. not sure why though.

i notice that XxX will reboot exactly once without a cd in the drive successfully - after that it would give cpu kernel panics. this however can be remedied by inserting the cd back.

For those who are still working it out - Here are following options you can try:

In BIOS set your hard drive to ATA mode (the rest should be on its default settings). If you choose AHCI, only the XxX release will detect your hard drive and it will not show up in uphucks. in vista, follow the diskpart steps to set your unallocated partition to af. i dont know how others managed to bypass this step because on both uphuck and XxX releases, the partition refuse to be mounted if you dont do this step.

Not completely true, Jas DVD can also see AHCI (which is better).
If you have the uphuck release - boot up with cpus=1 -v, half way through you need to eject your disc and insert it again to proceed
Also in Jas 1.4.8, but once you update to 10.4.10 it does not need it anymore.
If you have the XxX release - you can boot straight into the installer without specifying any options

I chose ich8, nvidia mobility, power management/speedstep from the options and then proceeded with the setup. on the XxX options i did not choose power management.

Tere is no reason to choose Nvidia Mobility, since there are no working kexts for Geforce 8400GS
Make sure your primary OSX partition is BEFORE your extended/logical partitions and the darwin bootloader will be fine.

(if you use uphuck's release there will be tearing on the nvidia mobility graphics - but not on XxX)

does anyone know how to use the speedstep option from the uphuck release and use it on XxX after install (or is it not possible because its 10.4.10) ?

Try Paulicat's AppleSMBIOS, didn't worked for me.

here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=478441

• 3 weeks later...

I have instlled the XxX 10.4.10, and i have noticed that the cores temperatures are in 73 c and 78 c is this normal, (i am not using osx any more until i makesure this wont damage my 1330), when i work in Vista, i get temperatures between 52 and 58 celcius, and i am worried in osx tho have that temperatures, is there a fix for that, i also noticed that the fan works more in the osx than in vista, please help i want to use osx and dont want to damage my laptop thanks.

Since there is no SpeedStep on 10.4.10 is understandable, but I personally thin it is high. Good thing is that in Leo SpeedStep is working Fine.

I Leo (and in my previous Tiger) installation my cores shows as 50s c°, and 60s c° when I'm running something heavy.

Try to run Activity Monitor and see if one or more are high in CPU usage.

I cheked the activity monitor, and i didnt see anything to worry about the max cpu usage i saw was 20 %, i also checked the initial temperature of both cores, after having the computer off for 2 hours, the temperatures were 46 and 53, after 10 minutes, the temps were 71 and 74, what is strange is that the initial temperatures are really high, the room temperature is about 25 C, does the temp sensors require a tune up, becouse that initial temperatures ate to high for startup.

unfortunately speedstep doesnt work properly in 10.4.10 (XxX) there is a kext around the forum that seems to do that but it will prevent you from restarting/shutting down the laptop untill you quit the app which is a hassle. but i found it works properly in uphuck's release 10.4.9 - so you might want to use that or just move to Leo