Apple Macs and Safari Gaining Market Share

Numberzz

24 posts in this topic

It seems as though the Mac is becoming more popular throughout the world. For the month of September, the percentage of users running the Intel version of Apple's Mac OS X operating system grew to 3.23%, up from 2.82% in August. Some of those users appear to have upgraded from systems running the PowerPC version of Mac OS X, which saw its share dip slight to 3.33% from 3.38%. When combined, however, Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac systems count for more than 6.61% of the worldwide computer installed base in September, according to Net Applications. That is a 40% surge from the same time a year ago, when both versions of Mac OS added together for a 4.72% share. It also represents an increase from August, when both versions combined for a 6.15% share.

net-apps-071001-1.gif

Note: you have to add "Mac OS" and "MacIntel" to get the complete Market Share.

Apple also continues to survive well in the browser world, with usage of its Safari browser increasing a not-too-shabby 43% throughout the past year. Net Applications says that Safari was 5.07% of web usage in September, up from just 3.53% during September 2006. Usage of the Safari browser was also up more than 8% from August when it was 4.68% of all web browsers. Overall, Safari posted the largest share gain of any other browser during September.

net-apps-071001-2.gif

Apple's Stock continues to rise and it is now near its all time high, at $154.04 at 11:31 Eastern Time.

Full Story

Yeah I have to say, I've just moved back to Safari (3 beta) from FireFox 2 now that they've rectified the MSN clash, and it's such a nice browser, really good tab management in the beta, plus I love the Mac OS feel it gives everything. Roll on the Safari 3 final release! And more importantly, 10.5 of course :P

-Ed

Geez numberz, you crack the whip down on the whole news thing. I mean everytime I go to the home page there's always some new news. Good job, makes this site look more active than it used to, back when there was one new piece of news for every 6 months.

And yea I know it's :( , so to keep in topic, I'm still using Firefox 2. I just can't make the complete switch to Safari. I just have this thing where I don't use the browsers and most programs that come with an OS. Mainly Microsoft's fault.

yeah numberz has reinvigorated the news on this site single-handedly.

on topic, 6% is friggen amazing! Apple is doing great with pretty much all their products right now, and there is nowhere to go but up!

- Urbz

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! On topic: Yeah, 6% is really great for Apple Worldwide. 5% is also good for Safari as well. Once you have used Safari 3, its hard to use anything else. It is like once you have had a Frito, its hard to have anything else. :)

Awesome Job Numberz, like everyone else is saying you really are bringing back this site to what is once was.

I think it is awesome that apple is growing but what do you think will happen to apple as it surges ahead in computer presence around the world in common homes.

Does anyone have an accurate number on how many people are using OSX86? If you think about it, we must be a pretty sizable portion of the new users in the last two or so years... Perhaps this explains why there have been no lawsuits thrown our way... Hmmm???

Given it's even more difficult to install OSX86 than Linux (and I say this with confidence), and that the result is far less reliable, not to mention usable than even Windows Me, I'd says that OSX86 market share is absolutely minuscule and negligible, which is why there hasn't been any lawsuit coming anyone's way. It's not worth the bother for Apple.Got to say something about Microsoft and its stranglehold on the market though. After about a year, and not even trying, Vista has now more market share than all versions of OS/X combined. Everyone has been commenting that Vista has been hugely undewhelming for Microsoft, but there we go.d

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! On topic: Yeah, 6% is really great for Apple Worldwide. 5% is also good for Safari as well. Once you have used Safari 3, its hard to use anything else. It is like once you have had a Frito, its hard to have anything else. :D

I disagree, I've had Fritos and I just don't like them. They're too damn salty.

Thanks Numberz™... for the great work you've ended up doing for us. (Although I already read Slashdot, Gizmodo, Engadget & WinBeta ;) )

Back to the topic: Did they like totally forget Linux while carrying the survey out?!

Speak for yourself, my hackintosh is more stable than the macs at work

Right, and you are using CS3 without having to patch, suspend-resume works, you're running 10.4.10, dual-screen, and have no problem whatsoever? And installation was a breeze too? not the teensiest bit of fiddling with kexts? Congratulations!

Right, and you are using CS3 without having to patch, suspend-resume works, you're running 10.4.10, dual-screen, and have no problem whatsoever? And installation was a breeze too? not the teensiest bit of fiddling with kexts? Congratulations!

Not everyone is a CS3 user.

And yes, three machines all different (2 AMDs), no fiddling and installation was as easy and quicker than Windows or Linux, and rock stable.

(It all depends on the hardware.)

When seeing these stats, am I the only one that thinks: "with all Mac versions combined we still have a lower market share than MS Vista, that crappy copycat OS" ?

I like the fact that OS X is gaining market share, but to be honest it's still quiet low. Don't get me wrong, I don't want OS X to become as popular as Windows. As a matter of fact I want OS X to remain the underdog.

But a market share of 10~15% would at least make software vendores think twice when only releasing for Win.

Speak for yourself, my hackintosh is more stable than the macs at work.

I haven't used any "real" Mac's besides the ones in the Apple Store. The machines I have installed OSx86 have been very stable so far.

I'm also curious to know how many people are actually using OSx86.

I don't have any problems with CS3 on my hack that I don't have on real Macs :) It's just crappy, unstable, poorly written bloatware, like every Adobe product since about PS 4, which we're forced to use because nothing else has all the features.

I don't get why you say OS X is harder to install/use than any other OS, either... It's a few clicks with a modern JaS/Uphuck disk for all but the most escoterric hardware, which is more than can be said for most OSes...

I don't get why you say OS X is harder to install/use than any other OS, either... It's a few clicks with a modern JaS/Uphuck disk for all but the most escoterric hardware, which is more than can be said for most OSes...

He wasn't referring to how long it tales to run a normal install. He's referring to the fact that you need to allocate extra time to make sure everything is ironed out. For example my sound does not work right out of most DVDs and I need to apply kexts (some of the DVDs have given me that option in them) but none the less it's still an extra. Also some people can not get QE/CI to work, others get nothing from their ethernet or wireless card... the list goes on. These issues are rarer on XP systems and even more so on Genuin Macs. That's what I got from what he said anyway.

But as Headrush69 said, it's to do with the hardware. But if you go buy a Mac or on most windows system yoiu don't need to worry about your hardware as much as you do with a hackintosh.

-------------------------------

Safari is nice but I don't think I could swap it for Firefox. Primarily because of the add-ons. I don't even know if you can get add-ons with safari (I've heard you can) but I doubt it's anywhere as close. With Firefox I can randomly search for an add-on and the chances are one is there to meet my needs (and I have randomly searched). I just don't think Safari would be the same. And also I like the Firefox look and feel over Safari... at least for now.

And btw, doesn't it really matter that Safari (a free app) is gaining more market share?

According to Apple...

According to the latest study from Access Markets International (AMI) Partners, Inc., Apple’s year-over-year market share jumped over 100% for desktop PCs and notebooks. In the medium business segment (100-999 employees), Apple’s desktop PC market share soared from 13% to 27%, while notebook PC shares grew from 8% to 18% in the medium business segment (100-999 employees). Similarly, in the small business (1 to 99 employees) market, Apple grew its desktop PC market share from 7% to 12%, and expanded its share of the notebook PC market from 5% to 8%.

I give it til maybe next year when Apple's gonna hit 7%-8%

I mean really, whenever you see a computer on TV, what does it end up being? A Mac

(I don't know if you all notice this, but I do cause it angers me that they have one since I don't)