XxX_OSX86 10.4.10 Install DVD

BJMoose

223 posts in this topic

I agree this is a very nice install. The only thing I've noticed is that About this Mac incorrectly reports my 3.2 GHz (overclocked) CPU as a 4 GHz CPU. Jas 10.4.8 and Uphuck 1.3 both reported it correctly as 3.2GHz.

SMF

Same problem here, 3.2GHz C2D reporting as 3.8GHz

and a more annoying issue : Call of Duty 2 main screen can't display ... (flashing horizontal lines ??)

(using Natit 0.2)

Same problem here, 3.2GHz C2D reporting as 3.8GHz

and a more annoying issue : Call of Duty 2 main screen can't display ... (flashing horizontal lines ??)

(using Natit 0.2)

'About this Mac' misprint is only cosmetic and can be easily adjusted to read accurately by tweaking the aboutthismac.strings located in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/English. Make a copy on your desktop, edit with TextEdit, replace original, repair permissions (make sure to quit System Profiler first). A search of this and the post installation forum will give more details.

Hey guys - I downloaded the iso and ppf patcher/patch - got the new iso burned.. swapped hd's ( i have a 2nd one laying about just for install tests) ..

formatted the drive as fat32 in gparted live cd - set the boot flag

booted the xxx iso -

Disk Utility found the drive - formatted it as hfs journalled went through the full install - only selecting ICH7-R, Azalia, Realtek and Natit patches along with the 10.4.10 standards.

Rebooted, and only get a flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. The cursor drops down about 5 lines, but just blinks - no other activity on the screen at all.

Tried a reinstall with one of the custom kernels and without the ICH7-R.

I set Bios to default - and played around a bit with acpi - Anyone seen this and know a way around it?

My board is an MSI 945GM3 with a P-D930VT@3ghz

i have the same thing

i patched the iso with the ppf

install went well but when i reboot i just see a flashing cursor

i have the same thing

i patched the iso with the ppf

install went well but when i reboot i just see a flashing cursor

You're not formatting/partitioning your HD in the right way therefore the bootloader is missing. Make shure to choose 'Master Boot Record' option (DiskUtility / Partition tab / Option button) when you make prepare your disk. Be aware that when re-partitioning all the data will be lost...

You're not formatting/partitioning your HD in the right way therefore the bootloader is missing.

I tried to install this image today, (after testing the Kalyway installation) and i confirm that i too have the com.apple.boot.plist not found message, although i tried the install more than 10 times.

Right now, i am reinstalling using Kalyway + patch, but the only difference i saw was in Disk Utility, where in Partition, there is an option on what type of partition we want to make.

If i leave it at default (can't remember but it says about Intel Mac), the above message comes during boot.

In all other images i tried, there is no option in Partition.

If that's the case, can you please tell us what partition option we should choose?

All other people had success without doing anything in Disk Utility?

Regards

P.S. Just finished Kalyway installation without a problem.

Maybe i will try the othetr options in Partition in Disk Utility and see.

yes, press the option button (partition tab) and select "Master Boot Record".

Just as a note, I didnt have to care about this option in any of my tests.

Tests:

Single boot OSX (Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Single boot OSX-VMWare Fusion (Vdisk Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Dual boot windows/OSX (single drive. Partitioned w/ Paragon Partition Manager)

Dual boot OSX/OSX (single drive. Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Just as a note, I didnt have to care about this option in any of my tests.

Tests:

Single boot OSX (Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Single boot OSX-VMWare Fusion (Vdisk Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Dual boot windows/OSX (single drive. Partitioned w/ Paragon Partition Manager)

Dual boot OSX/OSX (single drive. Partitioned w/ Installer's DiskUtility)

Interesting.

I am always installing in single boot HDD, but never before i have seen this option in the Disk Utility (partition).

Is this your modification?

Right now, just to test, i am re-installing for one more time, but this time i will use this option.

Regards

No, is the original DiskUtility included in the Apple 10.4.10 DVD. This 'option' menu is also present in 10.4.9 Apple DVD version.

Kalyway DVD uses an older DiskUtility, from the patched JaS 10.4.8 I think...

Let me know how it goes.

Let me know how it goes.

It went just fine, although i want to re-install using the 8.10.3 kernel and see how it goes on my setup.

Also the Alc882 patch in audio was very handy, as i didn't have to patch it afterwards.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Ok, I managed to get this booting in Vmware. Intend to get a ide to sata connector soon to avoid this hassle on my P5B Jmicron. My experience with 0SX86 has so far been only with Uphuck so I will use that as a reference point. A few things:

1. The installer goes into 64 bit mode in vmware and crashes, I have to manually give boot option -legacy. System optimization in the installer takes a lot of time, what exactly does it do?

2. I managed to install in Vmware to native and when I reboot from the real drive the bootloader doesn't give any options like in Uphuck so I can put the option - legacy for instance, just boots directly into 64 bit mode. Is there any way to change this.

3. So far after booting everything seems to work ok, just like in Uphuck. Will have to use it more to get a better idea.

raulb, how did you get this to work in vmware. I tried this three times. I am using a vitual disk and just choose the default settings of the installer. after reboot it never goes into the OS, just hangs at a black screen. I am wondering if I have some vmware settings off. the difference between yours and mine seems to be that you choose native disk, whereas mine is virtual. Am I missing sth and it just plain doesn't work in vmware on a virtual disk?

thanks

So far, using 8.10.3, i have installed CS3 and FCS2 and i don't see any problem, i only needed to apply the CS3 patch.

Further investigation will follow.

Can someone explain to me what is that problem with restart and 8.10.3 ?

I don't see any problem with restart, but again, maybe i haven't understand something.

Regards

I'm one of the people with restart problems. I have three issues with this release. I have a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 with a raid 1 array on my ICH9R (in RAID mode - OSX doesn't see the array) and two IDE DVD drive and two SATA HD on my JMICRON (set to IDE for install and AHCI to run after JMicron patch). I've successfully installed and run Jas 10.4.8 and Uphuck 1.3 (with Koolkal's update to 10.4.10) with no issues whatsoever.

When I run this release I get a flood of IOATAController messages but it still completes the boot. I get an error message after boot about a disk error which I can click ignore and it's fine (disk utility shows my boot drive twice - once with the proper drive names and once as d1...). My last issue is I can't restart - the system shuts down and hangs. I've only tried the 8.10.3 kernal with various driver/kext options to no avail. For now I'm sticking to my upgraded Uphuck 1.3/Koolkal setup.

These issues may not be difficult to overcome but I'm a newbie and am learning as I go....

UPDATE: In preparation for installing Photoshop CS3 I installed the AppleSMBIOS.kext 1.06. Upon reboot I get the flood of IOATAController errors and the disk insert/mount error with my Uphuck/Koolkal setup. Is this something I have to live with or is it relative to the JMICRON patch? Anyone else seen this?

SMF

I was going to try to install this on an old dual Xeon (read all the threads on that and the Jas 10.4.8 seems to work these days) but I found that I can't boot to dvd on this system. Going to look and see if it's a BIOS issue or the drive, I know the DVD is good as my laptop and desktop boot to it fine, but the laptop is so old the pentiumM only supports SSE1. Desktop is a work machine and I won't be toying around with it as it has completely nonstandard audio related hardware.

Xeon system is Supermicro p4dc6+ with prestonia cpu's

drive is sony dvd rw dru-830a (ss25 firmware)

i installed this great release on my inspiron 6400/e1505 gma950 and i used darwin 8.9.1 jul08 kernel. i don't have any problems with mounting .dmg and it was stable so far. the only issue that i have is that the dictionary.app is not giving me any result when i type a word, it seems like it is searching forever, when i went to dictionary preferrence, there were no dictionaries there but when i checked my /Libray/Dictionaries and the .dict files were there.

any idea what's wrong with my system???

Oh BLAH... haha.. I'm such a dork.. I didn't realize that the boot order was changed in my bios - it was trying to boot off of a different hd - which had a boot flag set, but no os on it.

Blackchungo - I'll do further testing on my other drive tonight when I get back from work - I do believe that the restart issue is simply because of that.

Rebooted, and only get a flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. The cursor drops down about 5 lines, but just blinks - no other activity on the screen at all.

Anyone got the Dictionary Application or Widget working in XxX? I've installed this on a few different drives and so far, that's the only fault I can find. I've tried copying the Dictionary from the app folder of a working JaS configuration and from my Mac Pro. Also copied the Dictionary folder from the Library and still no go. Any ideas about this? I'm guessing the widget doesn't work because it's dependent upon the app. Thanks.

Anyone got the Dictionary Application or Widget working in XxX? I've installed this on a few different drives and so far, that's the only fault I can find. I've tried copying the Dictionary from the app folder of a working JaS configuration and from my Mac Pro. Also copied the Dictionary folder from the Library and still no go. Any ideas about this? I'm guessing the widget doesn't work because it's dependent upon the app. Thanks.

so i'm not alone. i also have the same issue as well...see my earlier post. i also copied the dictionary.app and the dictionaries from library of my office macbook but i can't get it to work.

i tried to google hoping to find some solution regarding this dictionary.app problem but i can't find anything from the world wide web. it seems that this problem is very rare.

but anyway guys, if someone of you might come up with a solution please post it here. i will also try to solve this issue. :thumbsup_anim::P

I applied the PPF1 file to the installer disk and now I've got to say that this installation does appear to be the 'one size fits all' installer with the latest kernel (8.10.3) for the Bad Axe 2 board (if you're using USB sound to get in and out).

I didn't notice it on the first disk, but this one even has the appleSMBIOS version 1.06 for CS3 software (that might have been the CS3 Patch before). It installs the ethernet settings properly for FCS2 out of the box with no need to check anything. Rosetta dependent software like Eudora and MS Office installs and runs with no tweaks needed. I was even able to register my FCS2 software which I couldn't do with the Kalyway version.

I haven't had a chance to test its stability under high stress (heavy video rendering and encoding) yet, but I'll get to that over the next couple of days. Good job Blackchungo!

Hi, BJ

Could you tell me how to apply PPf into installer disk??

BTW, is Demonoid down?

Tried this cutie yesterday, gave me a hard time at first to find that "Master Boot Record" switch when partioning the drives. I think it was the 4th try when it finally booted up.

I am running it on an HP/Compaq NW8000/NC6000. Had to install couple of drivers that I had from my previous 10.4.8 JaS install, but otherwise all is good. Now my iPhone works and CS3 too, lovely.

I also made all of the Apple Software updates - went sweet.

One last thing though - that XxX release ships without X11, so if you're an X11 maniac like I am you need to download X11 seperately, which can be a pain in the arse. Get it here and run "Software Update" afterwards.

since demonoid is down, I'll try to upload the image somewere else in the next days.

About the bugs, I'll be very busy in the next weeks... I wont be able to work on it....

Maybe someone else comes with a solution....

The install you get is an almost untouched 10.4.10. I havent modifyed a thing exept for patching the kernel, ACPI, APIC, SMBIOS, IOATA, PS2, System kexts after the original package get installed. BTW the default kernel on the original image I used as a base was 8.10.3...