InsanelyHacked!

178 posts in this topic

On the bright side, this little episode finally forced the administration to update the forum's script to the latest version. IMO, things have been a little stagnant since Mash sold the site, so seeing a few new features in the news section and other places are welcome changes. As a webmaster with forums myself, I learned the hard way that you can't just sit back to collect revenue from ad money, but you also need to actively update the forum's system to avoid exploits before they happen.

I'm just glad I used a temporary e-mail account to sign up for these forums. I suggest everybody should do the same. As long as you check your control panel for messages, there's no need to actually have anything forwarded to your real e-mail address.

Great to See InsanelyMac back up, and for those of you starting to point fingers towards hackint0sh, they have no grudge against the actual site, only some of the questionable Administrator instances in the past.

I agree with ASAP18 and Alessandro17 and Hagar. We need to stop trying to point fingers and placing the blame on this person or that dev. That is the problem with this community. Something happens and it immediately turns into a grudge war with people lashing out against one another. Friendly competition is a good thing...it keeps us all striving for things to be better. However, at the end of the day, we need to be able to step back and share some beers. Let the authorities deal with finding those who are responsible. Our energies are better used making the community better... more how-to's, tutorials, and getting the wiki up to date.

Cheers!

Great to See InsanelyMac back up, and for those of you starting to point fingers towards hackint0sh, they have no grudge against the actual site, only some of the questionable Administrator instances in the past.

Exactly. And for the sake of correct and complete information, I believe people should read the threads there called "Account Abuse - fake post on insanelymac" and "Insanelymac.com was hacked".

Especially you, ColdFusion, I hope you read them.

I'm going to ask the ugly question: I don't suppose this could have anything to do with the nature of this forum?

I definitely can't imagine Apple hiring crackers or whatnot, but why this forum of all out there >_>

I honestly doubt Apple would be behind an act such as this. I, for one, am proof that Apple is gaining business because of forums like this. After successfully migrating my Dell D410 to OSX 10.4.8, I was so impressed with Apple that I went out and purchased my Apple Macbook. Shortly there after I went out and purchase my 8-Core Mac Pro. Because of this forum, Apple is at least $6500 richer.

-- R

Not to be a cynic, but I highly doubt that the police are going to track the offenders. Sure, this site sees more traffic than most forums, but if I had a dollar for every time a forum was exploited, I'd be rich. I know that the owners are trying to protect their $50K+ investment, but UK police can't do much about a hacker in Seattle, Hong-Kong, or Sydney.

So glad to see we're back online! As I can see from Hacint0sh, the unhappiness will be gone as time goes by. :P

This is exactly why I use a BS, one-off email account to register for forums.

I'm just not that interested in receiving email from the admins, and certainly not interested in spam. I know people think requiring a valid email address cuts down on spam accounts, but it's just an inconvenience, or worse for people who actually give real addresses only to see them compromised.

Not to be a cynic, but I highly doubt that the police are going to track the offenders. Sure, this site sees more traffic than most forums, but if I had a dollar for every time a forum was exploited, I'd be rich. I know that the owners are trying to protect their $50K+ investment, but UK police can't do much about a hacker in Seattle, Hong-Kong, or Sydney.

Mmhmm. Im sure nothing will be done, IM will probably just recieve "their deepest sympathy" or "condolences"

a lot strange that demonoid.com are down too...

The biggest tracker of Mac OS X and cracks was hacked at the same time as InsanelyMac...

Interesting...

a lot strange that demonoid.com are down too...

The biggest tracker of Mac OS X and cracks was hacked at the same time as InsanelyMac...

a lot strange...

Demonoid is down simply because of hardware problems.

From demonoid's site:

For the ones wondering, the timing of the downtime was coincidental.

Think that was aimed at us?

Anyway, great to be back, the site is a lot faster now (despite the Atlantic's best efforts).

:P :P .... mmm in the moment i want to post my picture of about this mac... i encounter only a message ....the insanelymac forum has been hacked....i was waiting for the site "rollback", only word to the admin THANKS....

because, ur closely contact with the member and put information about the server ...when the forum was closed .....(sorry, my english is bad)...........

Think that was aimed at us?

I think so. Then again, the message on that page is extremely vague. Either they were planning on updating the features soon and the downtime was a coincidence to when they planned to go offline, or the downtime gave them an excuse to make a previously unplanned update. Eh, who knows?

Glad to see the forums up again. I was starting to fear InsanelyMac would miss the iPhone launch..

The site feels MUCH faster now. It used to take a few seconds to load, now its in the miliseconds. (Probably because i'm in Belgium, close to the UK)

It's good to see that IMac is in capable hands.

FYI - The password reset graphic is not showing up since the restore. I went to try it out becuse I posted a week ago that the email was not being sent to my inbox when resetting. My real account is warped1. I suspect the hacker may have been collecting passwords this way. If that is the case it is frustrating that an admin did not look into it when I reported it along with at least one other user.

Can an admin PLEASE help me by getting me a password reset on that account?

Heheh, so the servers are in the UK now?

I see my ping has gone down to a mere 57ms....

Let the British OSx86 computing Empire begin! :D

Great work on the site though guys, it really is amazing how quickly we were back up. I think I only gnawed through half my desk, so the withdrawal wasn't too bad

FYI - The password reset graphic is not showing up since the restore. I went to try it out becuse I posted a week ago that the email was not being sent to my inbox when resetting. My real account is warped1. I suspect the hacker may have been collecting passwords this way. If that is the case it is frustrating that an admin did not look into it when I reported it along with at least one other user.

Can an admin PLEASE help me by getting me a password reset on that account?

I made this so we can gather the problems in one place.. I'll be moving posts of that kind to that thread as they crop up, if you experience anything unusual wioth the site, please post there.