Microsoft says "No Vista on Bootcamp"

34 posts in this topic

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/microso...to-run-on-macs/

if you are too lazy to click on it. here it is.

Microsoft flip-flops again: now no Vista Home on Macs

We've seen our fair share of flip-flopping in the past, and Microsoft is yet again adding its name to the frowned upon list by retracting previous intentions to allow Windows Vista Home and Home Premium operating systems to run under virtualization. After reportedly stating that it would "change the EULA after listening to customer feedback on the issue," it appears that the suits in Redmond have thought better of said decision. Now, the firm has "reassessed the Windows virtualization policy and decided that maintaining the original policy announced last Fall" would be best. Ben Rudolph, Parallels director of corporate communications, noted that he was "obviously disappointed" in Microsoft's change of heart, but if the two-faced Mac users out there can persuade Google to take their side, we're sure this little spat could be cleared up in no time.

Wow, so in basic, correct me if I'm wrong, they are saying it is "illegal" to install Windows Vista Home Premium/Basic on a Mac using Boot Camp based on the EULA?

If they are considering it "virtualization", that's very weird. Technically, Windows Vista is running on a computer and is not being "virtualized" in any way. It is running natively. If it was on Parallels or VM Ware then I would understand that statement.

I could care less to be honest. I use parallels to run XP to for work.. its the only way I can connect to our company network, and I have one program that is windows only. So I access stuff on our server and use a program that is connected to the server. I have no use for Vista. Its a waste of space, and resources to have it running on my mac.

I don't even have it on my PC at home. I stuck to XP pro.. Vista is a pile of :whistle: :censored2: :censored2: if you ask me. Playing around with the betas turned me to a mac user. :afro::rolleyes::hysterical:

^"people" don't matter to a company like microsoft, companies, and licenses, however, do...there arent too many "people" (relatively speaking of course...) going out and buying a copy of vista (or any of microsoft's os's for that matter) the majority of their sales (and money) are in licenses/4 million count orders from dell, hp, etc....

What are we missing out on? The "Wow"? :hysterical:

hahah oh yeah!

and uh arenared and others violating this eula (or maybe its not a violation?)

at least you payed for it!

hahahah

like i did (pff) :thumbsup_anim:

There's no physical limitation stopping me from actually installing Vista Home in Fusion, right? All there is is the EULA. And although it may be binding, I haven't given a sh*t about EULAs in several years. :hysterical:

Ya know, I'm gonna go do this tonight just so I can prove Microsoft wrong. (And to see if I can run Halo or Battlefield 2 with 3D accel in a VM, but that's a secondary concern.)

There's no physical limitation stopping me from actually installing Vista Home in Fusion, right? All there is is the EULA. And although it may be binding, I haven't given a sh*t about EULAs in several years. :hysterical:

Ya know, I'm gonna go do this tonight just so I can prove Microsoft wrong. (And to see if I can run Halo or Battlefield 2 with 3D accel in a VM, but that's a secondary concern.)

It'll work fine, MS will just make a frowny face (example for you own enjoyment: :hysterical:)

microsoft does'nt want to get sued for runining expensive mac hardware! :thumbsup_anim:

Ruining? I think not.

Only problems I've ever really had with Vista are problems I've caused myself trying to finagle various Linux distributions and their accompanying bootloaders into my configuration. And those all worked out in the end.

Ruining? I think not.

Only problems I've ever really had with Vista are problems I've caused myself trying to finagle various Linux distributions and their accompanying bootloaders into my configuration. And those all worked out in the end.

vista bricked one of my hd's which i had to fix using mac. :P

It's amazing how these morons are still shouting the "OMG NO VISTA ON BOOTCAMP WAH WAH" - I thought it was beaten in their heads last time ? It seems not. So, you people need to stop Vista cannot be used in a VM, the thing is is that you cannot install Vista [Home Premium] than within that have a VM running Vista and use the same license.

Please explain how it 'bricked' your hard drive.

It's amazing how these morons are still shouting the "OMG NO VISTA ON BOOTCAMP WAH WAH" - I thought it was beaten in their heads last time ? It seems not. So, you people need to stop Vista cannot be used in a VM, the thing is is that you cannot install Vista [Home Premium] than within that have a VM running Vista and use the same license.

Please explain how it 'bricked' your hard drive.

i installed it on a fresh hard drive install went fine and then it booted once then i installed the updates and it would'nt boot afterwards. went into xp to format and re-install and it would'nt detect the NTFS!!! so i went into osx and formatted it to HFS+...