Microsoft says "No Vista on Bootcamp"

34 posts in this topic

i paid a nice $10 VL fee for it :hysterical:

:hysterical:

i payed for shipping on the home premium key i never used...... because i wanted it on the desktop, aka i just had to get a copy of my bios and hack the {censored} out of em all in the name of a free ultimate.... couldnt have just used the emulator, noooo thats too easy! :thumbsup_anim:

:hysterical: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm VL, those were the {censored}, now they kinda suck cause you have to activate them more than the regular keys!

So the copy of Vista Home Premium that I actually PAID for I am not allowed to use? This is the sort of thing I remind myself of when I feel guilty about torrents. The greed and abusive attitude towards customers. The thing that gets me is if I decided I DID want to comply with this and upgrade to Vista Business, would they allow me to upgrade to Business from Home Premium by just paying the price difference between the two editions? No, I have to just throw out HP even though I paid for it and buy a whole new version for full price. I wish there was a decent batch real audio ripper for the Mac and an adequate substitute for Net Transport - then I could just never use Windows in my home ever again.

In the meantime I'll keep my Vista Boot Camp partition and run it in Parallels. It's not like MS can actually DO anything about it, which in a way is what makes it so idiotic. If they're basically helpless to enforce it, why not just say it is OK to do and garner a little good will? Mac users who use virtual machines to boot Vista has to be such an incredibly small portion of the OS using public(figure <5% of computers are Macs, and I'd have to imagine that the segment of the Mac community that would use Parallels to boot Vista HB & HP has to be some minor portion of THAT, and you are talking less than 1% of the copies of Vista being sold). If I pay for their OS and only have it on one computer, what the hell harm does it do them? Why would they even notice? They should spend more time making sure people's graphics cards work with Vista and less time worrying about how some minuscule portion of the public decides to boot their legitimate copies of Windows.

> So the copy of Vista Home Premium that I actually PAID for I am not allowed to use? This is the sort of thing I remind myself of when I feel guilty about torrents.

Wow, settle down Nancy, stop being so dramatic. :thumbsdown_anim: The only real thing they're restricting is using the same freaking license within a VM on a host.. with the same license.

> .. would they allow me to upgrade to Business from Home Premium by just paying the price difference between the two editions? No, I have to just throw out HP even though I paid for it and buy a whole new version for full price.

You're totally right, I mean, it's not like Microsoft created a program called Anytime Upgrade and it's not like it's easy to use or anything! :):thumbsup_anim:

2 things though, from Home Premium you can only go to Ultimate but that's because Business/Enterprise is not in the consumer range and the pricing is for an Upgrade version, I believe.

> .. buy a whole new version for full price.

So, you do not have to buy a whole new version at full price.

> In the meantime I'll keep my Vista Boot Camp partition and run it in Parallels.

It's amazing what happens when you read. /rolls eyes

You could have avoided this embarrassment if you did more than simply read the thread title. :D:star_smile: But yeah, keep on fightin' the good fight and sticking it to big ole' evil M$ ! :(