Intel P35 ICH9 Works! [ ASUS P5K]

87 posts in this topic

Sorry, my english is not soo good:D

My P5K refused to flash the Bios 406. The newer Windows and DOS Flash Utilities hosted by Asus won't flash the 'really old' 406 Bios over the newest 603.

With an older afudos211.exe flasher found on the net, is was able to flash the 406 over the 603 bios and get the AHCI option for SATA back (Asus disabled AHCI with Bios release 408).

Marlboro

HI Marlboro,

Glaad that is working for you.

Could you provide a link to the afudos 211 and the old bios?

thanks

Ric

With an older afudos211.exe flasher found on the net, is was able to flash the 406 over the 603 bios and get the AHCI option for SATA back

Marlboro

Hi,

just uploaded some afudos Versions. You can find the Original Bios Files on the Asus Website.

Use at your own risk!

http://rapidshare.com/files/52293267/Afudosversions.rar.html

There are two minor problems i'm fighting:

1) Apple Keyboard will not work at back usb, only front usb (since back usb is working properly i found this really strange)

2) I installed OSX with Uphuck 1.4i r2 - runs sweet, but figured out i should have taken 1.4 r3. Quicktime Update in r2 will kill Rosetta. So it's hard to install some things like Ilife08 and so on.... :-(

Marlboro

Hi,

just uploaded some afudos Versions. You can find the Original Bios Files on the Asus Website.

Use at your own risk!

http://rapidshare.com/files/52293267/Afudosversions.rar.html

There are two minor problems i'm fighting:

1) Apple Keyboard will not work at back usb, only front usb (since back usb is working properly i found this really strange)

2) I installed OSX with Uphuck 1.4i r2 - runs sweet, but figured out i should have taken 1.4 r3. Quicktime Update in r2 will kill Rosetta. So it's hard to install some things like Ilife08 and so on.... :-(

Marlboro

Cheers! I've been on the lookout for an afudos version that can flash me back, although I won't be doing it anytime soon. I've found a pretty good solution now by using the jmicron controller instead. Only problem is a slightly slower boot caused by a flood of "IOATAcontroller device blocking bus" until osx loads.

I've been experiencing some problems with my USB ports as well...they kind of cut power to my devices like once every five minutes, meaning that both keyboard and mouse briefly stop working. Haven't tried the front usb port yet, I'll do that straight away! :(

Hi,

Jmicron worked for me - first.....

Runs flawlessly until i moved big data files and something like that :(

AHCI on SATA 1+2 works better for me (for me, maybe someone else get other results!)

Marlboro

Next to do:

- New install with Uphuck 1.4i r3 (will fix quicktime and rosetta prob - hope so)

- Maybe 10.4.10? will see

- Buy the new Imac - GPU holds me back - Mabe a new Imac with better GPU? - then Steve will have a new customer....

Marlboro

Hi,

Jmicron worked for me - first.....

Runs flawlessly until i moved big data files and something like that :D

AHCI on SATA 1+2 works better for me (for me, maybe someone else get other results!)

Marlboro

Next to do:

- New install with Uphuck 1.4i r3 (will fix quicktime and rosetta prob - hope so)

- Maybe 10.4.10? will see

- Buy the new Imac - GPU holds me back - Mabe a new Imac with better GPU? - then Steve will have a new customer....

Marlboro

Hey, I read that the new iMacs have exchangeable GPU's! According to Omni you'd likely be able to stick an 8600 in there...it'll cost you though. And it's probably a while off.

Haven't encountered that big file problem you're describing. How big are you talking? I've been throwing 4gb-files around with no issues at all. :D

@Ric: Probably not the best choice around, but I've not ready about anyone else with USB problems before. Probably nothing serious. The SATA issue is kind of irritating, but nothing you can't live with...there's always a work-around. ;)

@Ric: Probably not the best choice around, but I've not ready about anyone else with USB problems before. Probably nothing serious. The SATA issue is kind of irritating, but nothing you can't live with...there's always a work-around. ;)

Hi fruktsallad,

The sata performance issue is improtant because I'm using ProTools (an audio & music production application) that uses a lot of streaming from disk plus virtual instruments and samplers, so disk performance is crucial.

I hope that someone could develop a way to support natively the ICH9 chip. That would be the solution, right?

Ric

@fruktsallad

i've got file problems with Jmicron when

a) cloning a 200gb hdd

:) moving some data stuff (about 60gb) while a p2p application is active

no such behaviour on SATA AHCI

USB: mmh, this is really strange. Back USB is working without problems, but my Apple Keyboard will only work on Front USB - strange

OT: don't thing you can change the GPU in the new Imac. Ok, its a mxm design card, but its hard to find a mxm card for sale and when you got one, it will not be EFI compatible.

Marlboro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Cant get it to work, tryed everything. (P5KC)

With sata disk on jmicron () and sata dvdrom on sata bus results in "ioatacontroller blocking bus" & "still waiting for....)

With sata disk on jmicron and ide dvdrom also on jmicron results in "systemconfigfile '/com.apple.boot.plist' notfound"

ahci / ide tryed them both.

Fruktsallad how did you get it to work ????

Grtzzz Henk.

Well on my Gigabyte P35-DQ6 I've had to try different configurations for my JMICRON and ICH9R when trying different install DVD's. I've had the best success with the JMICRON in IDE mode and the ICH9R disabled.

Why don't you report your exact settings for your onboard peripherals as well as what install DVD you are trying (JAS 10.4.8, Uphuck 1.3 ... etc.) and perhaps someone with a PK5 can chime in.

SMF

The P5K-E board has a different LAN, so it works :).

I got everything but sound to work so far. :)

gdog write a great tutorial:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7&hl=badaxe

and show Xbench result from him Hackinstosh i am a little bit surprise

with him poor results:

Disk Test 67.13

Sequential 105.85

Uncached Write 112.69 69.19 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 103.59 58.61 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 98.58 28.85 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 109.67 55.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 49.16

Uncached Write 18.23 1.93 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 115.00 36.82 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 94.10 0.67 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 138.87 25.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I run a mobo A8N-SLI Premium with AMD64 X2 3800, ATI X1600, 3xSATA disks

and get :

Results 108.13

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type Maxtor 6V320F0

Disk Test 108.13

Sequential 130.98

Uncached Write 136.64 83.90 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 134.33 76.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 120.11 35.15 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 134.23 67.46 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 92.07

Uncached Write 60.70 6.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 119.57 38.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 92.49 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.24 23.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]

It's close two time better, so i plane to use, as i like Asus Motherbord an Asus P5K-Deluxe

Could you be kind enough to run Xbench and publish the results?

Thanks in advance.

Different drives - different results.

MAXTOR 6Y250M0 = 250GB DiamondMax Plus 9 (8MB Cache)

MAXTOR 6V320F0 = 320GB DiamondMax Plus 10 (16 MB Cache)

smalM, are you going to share the results along with stating them? For example, what was different that occurred in your P35 system other than the physical matter and physical capacity and cache, modelname, etc...More example of details: startup time? installation time? more errors, less erro? faster read tim lag in certain programs? succesful or not?

I appreciate you sharing. Thanks. Hope to hear more from you. It sure will benefit this community.

• 2 weeks later...
Check my sig for XBENCH I have the P5K Deluxe, and its working great (LAN too)

Why use Jmicron? just change the BIOS to AHCI mode and all installations will work no problems!

I've been keepin up with yoru posts before you built your rig. How is it running? ANy problems at all? Have you tried the wireless?

Check my sig for XBENCH I have the P5K Deluxe, and its working great (LAN too)Why use Jmicron? just change the BIOS to AHCI mode and all installations will work no problems!

Thanks ArkaPro for your reply, you are the only one who answer me and i really appreciate.

Pretty good results at all.

ST-3500830AS = Barracuda 7200.10 500, Serial ATA NCQ (16 MB Cache)

Disk Test 82.66

Sequential 121.43

Random 62.65

MAXTOR 6V320F0 = 320GB DiamondMax Plus 10 (16 MB Cache)

Disk Test 108.13

Sequential 130.98

Random 92.07

I don't explain the reason why my results are better in Random mode.

Do you know if you are using NCQ?

Your results really encourage me to use your mobo instead of the Intel Badaxe.

Just another question about changing the BIOS to AHCI mode:

I noticed you are using a rare Sata DVD.

When you do that, are you always able to use an ATA DVD?

OK, First things first... I got so much help in this great forum, so its nice to see I can give a little back... :censored2:

KHAILD & DBJmoose helped me a lot (and still are) many thanks to them!

The rig performes really great - XP and vista runs great.

from the minute I started installing all kinds of OSX 10.4.9 (JAS & Unphuck) versions on this mechine.. it worked well.

I recently upgraded to 10.4.10 Koolkats ver...

worked right out.. no trouble...

Things needs to be installed after first install:

asap18's bash script will take care of the LAN and sound (stereo out).

about Wireless, I didn't try it yet because I'm using a cable LAN... so I cant help you with that.

Mobo Firewire works great

I'm not sure that the front USB work... I'll check it later...

I attached the kext's for the Mobo (originaly made for P5K-e) but works great on my P5K Deluxe as well.

just drop the Kexts to the kext helper I attached as well. and run it.. it will do all the dirty work for you.

I myself still dont wanna mess too much with "manual kexting" so that Kext helper I attached really helps out.

Kext_Helper_b6.zip

It seems that many people around here work with ASUS's p5k family.

I too had the same thoughts about the BADAXE2 VS P5K.

The Bad Axe 2 is recomended because they say he is stable and more compatible to work better "right oit of the box"

But when I found out that Bad axe 2 wont support the new upcoming Penryns proccesors I immidiatly ordered the P5K deluxe.

The P5K's has P35 cheapsets so they fully support the new Intel technology, its importent to have future competability.

I dont regret it now, it works really great.

About the DVD.

Well I hate IDE cables, so I wanted to buy a SATA DVD, I liked this one because he has Lightscribe option.

I didnt try to connect any IDE drives in this system.

Just one more tip:

if you plan to work with Windows too - be sure to install them in AHCI mode.. (in XP using F6)

That way you wont need to change the bios each time you sweech OS's.

about the HDDs I dont understand why the barakudas get such a low score...

this maxtor one looks good, maybe I'll change my two baracudas to this maxtor...

I hope I was clear.. feel free to ask more!

The P5K's has P35 cheapsets so they fully support the new Intel technology, its importent to have future competability.

I dont regret it now, it works really great.

About the DVD.

Well I hate IDE cables, so I wanted to buy a SATA DVD, I liked this one because he has Lightscribe option.

I didnt try to connect any IDE drives in this system.

about the HDDs I dont understand why the barakudas get such a low score...

this maxtor one looks good, maybe I'll change my two baracudas to this maxtor...

I hope I was clear.. feel free to ask more!

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I agree with you for the future compatibility, but for me i feel to change at the same time the mobo and the procs

to get a system included the operating system up to date.

A have a spare DVDR 112 Pionner absolutly new, i know it's cheap today but i like to use it, that the reason why

i asked you about the IDE thing.

About the HDD you don't get a low score, the main difference is about random access.

Today i'am not sure you could find a MAXTOR 6V320F0, if i remember Seagate bought Maxtor and kill this model

to sell similar Seagate sata disks.

If you could check about IDE thing, i will be very grateful and could by the way use at the same time 4 sata drives

and my DVD.

OK, just to be sure I understood.

You want me to try to connect a regular IDE DVDRW to my mechine and see if it works properly?

If so.. Ill try to do it in two-three days (I'm of for shooting - wont be near my comp)

OK, just to be sure I understood.

You want me to try to connect a regular IDE DVDRW to my mechine and see if it works properly?

If so.. Ill try to do it in two-three days (I'm of for shooting - wont be near my comp)

It's exactly what i like and if you could be kind enought to do it, even in two or three days that would be great.