Intel P35 ICH9 Works! [ ASUS P5K]

87 posts in this topic

Here are my results using a vanilla P5K with a Samsung 160GB on the JMicron IDE port. Setup is in sig. HDD scores look kinda slow, right? How's the rest? Everything feels snappy enough though. :D

Results 170.50

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type SAMSUNG SP1614N

CPU Test 164.45

GCD Loop 376.67 19.86 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 181.94 4.32 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 129.72 4.28 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 118.15 20.57 Mops/sec

Thread Test 319.04

Computation 293.42 5.94 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 349.56 15.04 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 231.18

System 226.50

Allocate 185.28 680.41 Kalloc/sec

Fill 238.62 11602.05 MB/sec

Copy 273.45 5648.06 MB/sec

Stream 236.06

Copy 217.35 4489.34 MB/sec

Scale 229.26 4736.48 MB/sec

Add 250.06 5326.80 MB/sec

Triad 251.04 5370.28 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 244.29

Line 195.19 13.00 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 256.70 76.64 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 246.96 20.13 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 221.01 5.57 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 347.91 21.76 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 219.59

Spinning Squares 219.59 278.57 frames/sec

User Interface Test 708.90

Elements 708.90 3.25 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 57.28

Sequential 99.07

Uncached Write 114.49 70.29 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 92.02 52.06 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 82.57 24.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 115.41 58.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 40.29

Uncached Write 14.12 1.50 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 112.21 35.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 85.42 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 127.39 23.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]

so the original bios should still have it enabled? or at least the option to enable it?

Has anyone been able to get the p5k-vm working? I would really appreciate a report on this board. Seems like a good board with very good overclocking abilities. And it is cheaper than the gigabyte G33M-DS2R!

Thanks so much!

I bought P5K 7 days ago, but Bad News.^^;

-------------------

[ source : http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLangu...=3&count=25 ]

B.

VIP Member

Tech Points : 0

Level : Level 1

Posted:8/7/2007 7:59:00 AM

I'd just like to follow up on this to indicate that asus has refused to provide a bios to correct the AHCI defect, as well as refusing to otherwise repair the motherboard, replace it, or refund my money. Fortunately with American Express return protection, I should still be getting a refund.

PS: The replacement gigabyte motherboard is working fine, and I've not experienced throughput problems with the realtek built-in ethernet under linux (as mentioned by another user).

---------------------

Has anyone been able to get the p5k-vm working? I would really appreciate a report on this board. Seems like a good board with very good overclocking abilities. And it is cheaper than the gigabyte G33M-DS2R!

Thanks so much!

I have this board and everything except 2 ch audio is working...

Overclocks well too check my signature...

Who succeeded in downgrading 0603 to 0408?

--------------

( reference1 : http://www.techzonept.com/showthread.php?p=1869390 )

( reference2 : http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...grade-bios.html )

--------------

When I tried EZFlash , AFUDOS.exe(a floppy disk) + asus board cd,

it said to me that the bios is older than the installed bios and wouldn`t let me downgrade.

Who succeeded in downgrading 0603 to 0408?

--------------

( reference1 : http://www.techzonept.com/showthread.php?p=1869390 )

( reference2 : http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...grade-bios.html )

--------------

When I tried EZFlash , AFUDOS.exe(a floppy disk) + asus board cd,

it said to me that the bios is older than the installed bios and wouldn`t let me downgrade.

Yeah, that what it told me too. Didn't try anything else after that, as I figured it'd be fixed in upcoming bioses. While that fix seems pretty unlikely now, I'm running from the JMicron port which works fine.

@murcielago585: Yeah, that ought to do it for now, but it seems it's easier said than done...looking at your sig - did you switch to a gigabyte mb instead?

fruktsallad, you are a lucky man.

BTW, the file transfer speed is fast on xp, but is very slow on 10.4.8jas_ppf1_ppf2 & uphuck1.3.

How about you? Can be this problem solved?

Well, the thing is I'm not really sure if it's fast or not. It FEELS slow from time to time. Painstakingly slow at times - almost as if I had a 4200rpm hdd...even worse than my MacBook. And then again, sometimes my hackintosh hdd feels quite snappy.

According to my XBench-scores, thee hdd performs above that of the c2d imacs...not like that's fast or anything, but at least it shouldn't slow down the way it does. Also, I'm told XBench is quite unreliable when it comes to benching hdd's, but I'm yet to find a better alternative.

- File Transfer time ( koolkal 10.4.10 combo update intel sse3 only.mpkg.zip 319 MB )

( BIOS : Sata Configuration - Comparable - IDE , J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller - Enabled - IDE[Controller Mode] )

xp to xp (5s), xp to 10.4.9(1m 30s), 10.4.9 to 10.4.9(1m 25s)

I am not sure,too, but I guess this problem may appear because of completely unsupporting p35 chipset on 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, so we are likely to expect in the future.

- File Transfer time ( koolkal 10.4.10 combo update intel sse3 only.mpkg.zip 319 MB )

( BIOS : Sata Configuration - Comparable - IDE , J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller - Enabled - IDE[Controller Mode] )

xp to xp (5s), xp to 10.4.9(1m 30s), 10.4.9 to 10.4.9(1m 25s)

I am not sure,too, but I guess this problem may appear because of completely unsupporting p35 chipset on 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, so we are likely to expect in the future.

Not sure I follow your stats there, but 1m25s for 319mb seems waaay off. If other compatability is no problem for you, you should really try to downgrade your bios to get ahci on the onboard controllers. Otherwise, try enabling ahci on the jmicron and connect your hdd to it. Then you'll get the same speeds as I've got.

I made a copy of the koolkal installer (334mb) in 15 seconds. Truly not great, but ALOT faster than your setup, hehe.

[To fruktsallad]

(you should really try to downgrade your bios to get ahci on the onboard controllers.)

I want to downgrade my bios to get ahci. Where are good sites about it?

(Otherwise, try enabling ahci on the jmicron and connect your hdd to it. Then you'll get the same speeds as I've got.)

Very thanks!^0^ I made a copy of the koolkal installer (334mb) in 15 seconds,too, but, a little more inconvenient than BIOS.

Did you try 5A466 or 5A499? Leopard is likely to work on your system. ( http://forum.osx86scene.com )

----------------

[To gramarye]

- the system requirement about p35 board (for installing leopard)[my guess] : ahci ( bios or connecting a sata hard to jmicron port ) + proper graphic card ( no nvidia 8x00 )

I have tried Leopard for several days, but perhaps, failed because of my 8600gt.

( after connecting a sata hard to jmicron port, installing leopard => kext work ... => booting to leopard hard disk => after going through darwin, leopard hung on the deep gray screen(perhaps, just before welcome movie)^^;

[ P35 mobo + Q6600 anyone? - http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=177 ]

it's because you need QE/CI to create your user account, else you'll see a grey screen.

But after this is done (on another PC if you can), Leopard works fine without QE/CI

Your Info : After installing Lepoard on the PC(ex - my friend` PC) which can be installed Leopard, do I copy the Leopard-Contents to my PC?

it's because you need QE/CI to create your user account, else you'll see a grey screen.

But after this is done (on another PC if you can), Leopard works fine without QE/CI

Thanks, cyclonefr.^^ Your nice info made me upgrade-install Leopard.

--------------------------------

[ more sources - http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199 ]

At last, today, I installed 9A466 by connecting a sata hard to AHCI Port, too.

The solutions are Ramm`tips & Installing 9A466 over 10.4.9 without erasing.

-----

peppi, thanks for your good reply.^^

I installed 9A499 by means of the same, too.

- Not much problems at all."still waiting ..." could be fixed by adjusting order of harddisks in bios.2 of 4 ich9 port ,2 jmicron as ahci and 2 atapis are recognized in leo. ( I experienced the same. )

- you'd better check asus p5k forum.Quite a few p5k users are waiting for new bios update hoping it could solve ahci matter.

( I tried a little, but somewhat impossible...^^; )

[ http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=53651 ]

[ http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLangu...=3&count=25 ]

- I simply didn't upgrade the bios. (Well, done!^^)

--------------------------

post-14017-1187686286_thumb.jpg

(( any news about how to solve the 1.6ghz bug in 10.4.9 ? ))

I am using uphuck1.3.

BTW, my 2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo is recognized, hm... I don`t know the reason, perhaps, after fixing alc833 sound, my cpu is likely to work.

--------------------------

[alc833 solution]

First of all, installing AzaliaAudio.pkg ( This pkg is likely to be included in the DVDs of uphuck1.3 or jas10.4.8_ppf1_ppf2. )

( ALC88x 10.4.8 Kext, Drivers for ALC88x Audio on 8.8.1 kernel - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520 )

[source1 : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...52907&st=40] (cyclonefr)

Bought the ASUS P5K with ALC883 and I do have sound tweaking AppleAzalia.

So the id's are 0x10ec0883 and 0x293e8086

Be sure to delete AppleHDA.kext

[source2 : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642] (Rammjet)

( [How To] ALC882 Sound, And Possibly, Sound for Other ALC8xx Chipsets )

----------------------------

(( a little trick for the p5k owners, if you have the boot.plist not found using the jas or uphuck dvd, use vmware because the jmicron isn't supported. ))

I have installed 10.4.8jas_ppf1_ppf2 & uphuck1.3 on not only vmware but also pc.

( BIOS : Sata Configuration - Comparable - IDE , J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller - Enabled , Controller Mode -AHCI ) ( SATA DVD-RW - Red SATA Port )

post-14017-1188438178_thumb.jpg

thanks chival4ry !

about the vmware installation, that's for people who does NOT have SATA dvd drive.

i'm going to try your trick for the sound, but have you tryed the AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 ? if you have the txt dump, that would be great to post it.

about the vmware installation, that's for people who does NOT have SATA dvd drive.

I have often used your tip, too.

i'm going to try your trick for the sound, but have you tryed the AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 ? if you have the txt dump, that would be great to post it.

I didn`t try the AppleHDA Patcher v1.16. BTW, what is the txt dump?

If you fail, post here. I will give you additional infos about alc833 sound.

alc883 works with your method, great! i'll try the applehda tonight, i'll keep you informed.

I've got another problem, my second hdd connected to the sata 3 port doesn't work(my raptor works well on the sata1).

Do you have any idea?

ps:i dont have the sata ahci in my bios...

I installed with Uphuck 1.4i r2 a few days ago.

System:

CPU: E6600

MoBo: P5K (plain P5K)

NIC: Intel Pro 1000MT PCI (damn Attansic ;))

GPU: MSI 7900GTO 512MB (with patched bios)

Several HDDs

Old DVD Writer with IDE->SATA Adapter

New Apple Keyboard (really slim)

My Experience:

- Jmicron in AHCI works, but was to buggy for me. I forced my Bios back to 406 to enable SATA AHCI (with afudos211)

- Intel NIC won't work with IONetworkingfamily.kext from installation disk (...you have to restart your computer...), but IONetworkingfamily.kext from 10.4.4 works perfect.

- Sound was no problem with IDs found in this forum (2 channel of course)

- The newest Quicktime Update screwed my Rosetta functions (all workarounds tested, no go -> new installation :-(

- OSX HDD plugged to SATA1 (red) and DVD to SATA2 (red) works best for me

- HDDs at SATA 3+4 are not regonized (no Prob, plugged in my Windose HDDs)

- I do NOT install the Apple Keyboard driver after a search in forums

Overall: no problems. Standby->OK / no crashes at all while using and installing Software several days (24/7) / Performance is great - Quake4/UT2004/Prey works great under OSX

Marlboro