iPhone full specs released.

26 posts in this topic

The full specs of the iPhone are here, thanks to Mac Rumors

• System requirements

- Mac or PC

- iTunes 7

- Internet access is required, and a broadband connection is recommended

- Mac: Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later

- PC: Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2)

• External Controls

- Volume Up / Down

- Ringer / Silent

- Power / Lock

- Sleep / Wake

- Menu Button

• Dimensions

- 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

• Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

• Input Method - Multi-touch

• Operating System - OS X

• Screen size - 3.5 inches

• Screen resolution - 320 x 480 at 160 ppi

• Storage - 4GB or 8GB

• GSM - Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)

• Wireless data

- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0

• Camera - 2.0 megapixels

• Battery

- Lithium

- Up to 5 hours - Talk / Video / Browsing

- Up to 16 hours - Audio playback

(Battery life varies by use)

• Connectors and other input & output

- 30 pin iPod connector

- 3.5mm jack includes audio and mic support

- SIM tray

- Built-in speaker

- Built-in microphone

Some specs there are expected and many where already known.

The one thing that I am happy about is the Quad Band GSM - that means your iPhone will work in the UK as well as America and elsewhere. All we need now is for UK networks to get off their behinds and roll out an EDGE network (seriously, Orange has nearly 100% coverage in France). It also opens up ways of getting your iPhone in the UK early.

If there are any other little details that can be picked out, I'm sure we'd all be glad to know!

• Connectors and other input & output

- SIM tray

Does this mean I could buy an iPhone in America and use it in the UK (since all UK phones are SIM Card based)?

Im very concerned about the battery life i think they should work on that for a next generation of the iphone .Other than that its all i expected but i think they showed this to soon to the public last year because if you do your home work you will see a lot of competitors right down the corner.

Hint: Sim-Lock :thumbsup_anim:.

Well, I figured that since US phones don't use SIM cards (at least, that's what I had been told) it would be ok. However, you can unlock phones, as Paranoid Marvin said :rolleyes:

Cingular and T Mobile (I think T Mobile still does) uses Sim Cards. Verizon uses ESN numbers in the phone to program them. If you did unlock the phone, then put you chip in there should be no reason it wouldn't work in UK. I have hacked phones before and got many to work that shouldn't have. It will happen.

Even if your able to unlock the phone I suspect that some of the software won't work even if your carrier has those features. After all your not dealing with some wimpy cellphone OS to crack your dealing with OSX but who knows at this point.

After all your not dealing with some wimpy cellphone OS to crack your dealing with OSX but who knows at this point.

While that would be true, I don't think Apple wants to cripple its product. You don't want a phone that only works on your home network.

I think that compared to other phones, battery life is excellent.

My VX8500 Chocolate only gets 2.5 hrs of talk/use time. 6 hours use time is amazing. Although, the iPod is what... 12 hours? So I do see the gripe.

Oh, and CDMA all the way... lol

Beats my phone too - and the N70 is one of the best smartphones out there.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n70-1153.php

Talk time is only 3hr 30.

I think that GSM is vital to the sucess of the iPhone. Yeah, HSDPA would be nice, but I think there are about 2 cities in the Uk that have it :) .

UMTS would be good - it is finally gaining ground in the UK (most cities have it now).

But tbph, the Wi-Fi is a winner. All they need is for UK networks to stop sitting on their hands and intergrate their Wi-Fi services with the 3G and GPRS networks (T-Mobile esp - they are everywhere)

I don't know what things will be like in America, but in the UK, it has potential.

Saying that though, the mobile phone market is much faster over here. There are alrady phones like the N95 that have much better features (design too)

What they really need to help penetrate the market is an iPod like strategy (eg, iPhone mini/nano/shuffle)

I guess time will tell

I'd rather have my VX8500. CDMA is far superior to GSM, but afaik it supports GSM as well, along with EVDO.

The only thing that appeals to me is battery life. Other than that, I'm not all too impressed with the iPhone. The Prada probably will come to USA eventually, and it is superior to the iPhone anyway...