Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.3 thread

Panja

793 posts in this topic

@ everyone with unsupported/trouble nForce 4 SATA Controller version or other unsuported Southbridge.

This workaround is ONLY repeat ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT DOES NOT HAVE WORKING PATCHES FOR SOUTHBRIDGE CHANEL or want eSATA capability or want to boot from an external HDD as if it was internal SATA I. SiI 3512 is assumed as if it was the on board SiI controllers some boards already have.

Think I found a easy and affordable way to bypass this without flashing Card BIOS.

Tested and working with osx86 uphuck v1.3 and V1.4i

You need:

~ Affordable PCI SATA Controller with SiI chipset 3512 (€22,0 my case with 1 internal, 1 external port PCI host) this one: VANTEC UGT-ST300 find info here http://www.vantecusa.com/product-peripheral.html# this one accept SATA and SATA2 HDD's max transfer rate is 1.5GB/s, plugged with my HDD's Western Digital 16MB cache run 33MB/s with osx86 and 25MB/s with Vista

~ PCI slot available

~ to know Device and Vendor ID's (my case VEN_1095, Dev_3512 - yrs the same for chipset SiI 5312)

~ go System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents edit info.plist add ID this way:

- drag info.plist to desktop open with Textedit

- find

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

- add your ID,s (care to NOT change the info.plist format

- save

- drag changed info.plist back to Contents / type password / replace yes

~ open Terminal

type or copy/past this lines followed by enter

sudo su (enter password)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA*

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

~ Close Terminal and open Disk Utility

~ Repair Permissions

~ Shut Down

~ Connect a SATA or SATA2 HDD to PCI host internal port

~ Start your box

~ Hit Del or whatever to enter BIOS and set to boot from the new HDD and save/reboot

~ Insert uphuck DVD

~ tell me you are happy

~ thank uphuck/turk team

~ pass this info

~ do not forget to mention me Carlos Pombo

@Carlos

Thanks for the guide.

But, that is a bit confusing. Are you saying I NEED new hardware for OSX to work with NF4 Chipset and SATA?

NO! If you have an nForce4 CK804 chipset, use my patch. If you have a later version of the nForce chipset, ie MCP51/nForce430/410, or one of the nForce 5 or 6 series, then Carlos is suggesting a PCI SATA card is a good option. However, his results suggest a low transfer speed (USB should be about 40MB/s, so I feel a cheap 7200 rpm IDE drive is a good option.

@ telarmago

@ tokyovvigilante

yes yes my solution is for people without nForce working path only

my solution allows to boot from SATA HDD type I and II

transfer rate is 1500 Mbit /Second = 1,5 GB

USB2 at most suport in theory 400Mbit/second = 0,4 GB

so 3.5 times faster and reliable

in pratice if you boot from a PCI Card as the one i use is the same as booting from an onboard SATA I Controler

there is already PCI Cards like mine suporting 3GB. I can NOT for shure tell if they use SiI5312 chipset a reliable and very fast transfer rate... Some of them have Apple drivers relesed by manufactor Silicon Image www.siliconimage.com namely SOFTRaid stuff

@ telarmago

@ tokyovvigilante

yes yes my solution is for people without nForce working path only

my solution allows to boot from SATA HDD type I and II

transfer rate is 1500 Mbit /Second = 1,5 GB

USB2 at most suport in theory 400Mbit/second = 0,4 GB

so 3.5 times faster and reliable

in pratice if you boot from a PCI Card as the one i use is the same as booting from an onboard SATA I Controler

there is already PCI Cards like mine suporting 3GB. I can NOT for shure tell if they use SiI5312 chipset a reliable and very fast transfer rate... Some of them have Apple drivers relesed by manufactor Silicon Image www.siliconimage.com namely SOFTRaid stuff

Um, yeah, but your benchmark of 33MB/s = ~300MBit/sec, which is slower than USB (which is 480MBit/sec by the way). PCI has a smaller bandwidth than SATA anyway, so that would be your bottleneck. The maximum interface speed is irrelevant, as a SATA-II 3GBit/sec 7200rpm drive only transfers at around 70-80MB/sec anyway, which is the physical limit of the hard drive. An internal drive connected to an ATA bus will always be faster, regardless of whether it's SATA or IDE. (ATA-133 refers to a maximum bandwidth of 133MBit/sec).

You're also confusing the issue by suggesting the problems lie with the nForce4 chipset. This chipset works fine, but all versions later than this have no OS X support.

I'm having problems on my dell inspiron e1705, nvidia geforce 7900 GS graphics card, 2GB of RAM, and an Intel dual-core processor at 2.61GHz.

Your installation DVD worked GREAT uphuck, it's just my mouse and keyboard speed is about 1 frame every 30 seconds, and i'm not exaggerating. Any way to boost speed, or just get rid of that? I'm dual-booted and running Vista ultimate, and that runs fine.

Thanks!

@ tokyovvigilante

are u telling me that USB is faster than SATA I through PCI ???

google wikipedia to clear yr confusion over MB (megabyte) and Mb (megabit) also abbreviated Mbit.

effectively PCI+SATA I is exactly 3.6 times faster.

as this is not the right place to discuss this I will no longer refer/answer about this

will update my post as the solution I propose is a workaround ONLY repeat ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT DOES NOT HAVE WORKING PATCHES FOR SOUTHBRIDGE CHANEL or want eSATA capability or want to boot from an external HDD as if it was internal SATA I.

think this place is a place to add or discuss information in constructive way NOT TO ARGUMENT.

if im wrong I quit from community

@ tokyovvigilante

are u telling me that USB is faster than SATA I through PCI ???

google wikipedia to clear yr confusion over MB (megabyte) and Mb (megabit) also abbreviated Mbit.

effectively PCI+SATA I is exactly 3.6 times faster.

as this is not the right place to discuss this I will no longer refer/answer about this

will update my post as the solution I propose is a workaround ONLY repeat ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT DOES NOT HAVE WORKING PATCHES FOR SOUTHBRIDGE CHANEL or want eSATA capability or want to boot from an external HDD as if it was internal SATA I.

think this place is a place to add or discuss information in constructive way NOT TO ARGUMENT.

if im wrong I quit from community

Um, yes I am. The PCI bus has a maximum effective speed of 33Mhz, which equates to 133MB/s burst transfer. This at first glance is equivalent/slightly slower than ATA-133, which has a theoretical maximum of 1.33GBit/sec, or approx (1.33GBit/sec / 8) = 166.25MB/sec. (I note my previous post incorrectly stated ATA-133 was equivalent to 133MBit/sec, it is actually 133MB/sec, or 1.33GBit/sec).

However the trouble with using the PCI bus is that the 33Mhz is shared between all devices on the bus. This extends to devices like integrated sound, network etc, which are often connected via PCI on the motherboard. Secondly, PCI tranfer is asynchronous, which means that devices cannot read and write at the same time (ie on the same clock cycle). Thirdly, any device accessing the PCI bus blocks the other devices on the bus. That makes it unsuitable for devices requiring fast sustained transfer, and was the impetus for the development of PCI-X and PCI-E.

ATA suffers from none of these limitations. It shares bandwidth with only the other device on the same channel (if present) can synchronously read and write, and has systems for caching and optimising device access. Likewise, USB has independent bandwith and synchronous transfer. However, its bus speed is lower than ATA.

The other thing you are overlooking is that the maximum transfer rate of I/O systems is limited by the slowest component, and in the case of hard drives is the physical spin rate of the platters. A 7200rpm drive has a theoretical maximum burst transfer rate of ~75-80MB/sec, which is not enough to saturate an ATA-100 bus, let alone ATA-133 or SATA.

You yourself noted that your transfer rates under optimal conditions were limited to 25-33MB/sec. This is roughly half the speed you would expect from an ATA drive, and certainly less than the 40-45MB/sec you would expect from a USB connection.

To summarise: the raw transfer rate of PCI devices is comparable to ATA-133, however a variety of technical aspects of the bus design make it a poor competitor in terms of speed to an ATA or even USB connected drive. Your own benchmarks reflect this. A PCI SATA card allows the use of a SATA drive with OS X on a system with an unsupported SATA chipset, however use of an IDE drive or attaching the drive via USB is likely to provide a more satisfactory experience.

Finally, personal attacks are not welcome, and will be reported to the moderators in future. I would prefer not to engage in a pissing contest over I/O bus standards, however you should refrain from making assertions that are untrue. It certainly is uncalled for to assert I don't know the difference between a bit and a byte when I have been building computers and writing software for many years.

Thanks uphuck for a great release. I've got one problem though I'm hoping someone can help with... It took me maybe 5 or 6 installs before I found a combination patches that would work for me. (AMD Athlon 64 4000+ SSE2, nVidia nForce4 chipset, SATA drive). But it did work, perfectly. Couldn't find a driver that would work for my ATI AIW1900 video card, but that's OK, I'm good with that. Here's my problem: After getting it to work, I didn't include the Office install, so I thought I'd do a re-install now that I knew what patches to select and also add in Office. Well, now when I try to install, I select the options I want, and the install starts, but at some random % complete, the system totally hangs - I can still move the mouse, but the progress bar stops animating and I can't click on anything, and the DVD stops spinning. I've left it for a while, but it never gets any further in the install. Sometimes it's at 1%, sometimes it's 35%, sometimes it 90%, but it always hangs. Sometimes it hangs in the Disk Utility when I go to reformat/erase the partition before each install. One random time, it did complete to 100% and rebooted, but I had selected the x1x00 video driver by mistake, so I missed my one opportunity. It doesn't make any sense to me. I've also tried booting in -v verbose mode, but that doesn't seem to affect it at all either. Any thoughts?

KEYBOARD PROBLEMS.

The NUM LOCK button doesn't work. It is always on NUM LOCK and the NUM LOCK indicator light does not come on.

All the Mac OS X screenshots keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work.

Key Combination Result

Command+Shift+3 Capture entire screen and save as a file

Command+Control+Shift+3 Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard

Command+Shift+4 Capture dragged area and save as a file

Command+Control+Shift+4 Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard

Command+Shift+4 then Space bar Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file

Command+Control+Shift+4 then Space bar Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard

None of those screenshot captures seem to work.

Hi,

I succeeded to install 10.4.9 universal x86 v1.3 on my system ( MB: Asus A8V Deluxe, CPU: AMD 3000Mhz X64 Venice, Leadtek 7600GT, M-audio 5.1), with this drivers selections : AMD 10.4.9 Kernel

Universal Kernel 2

Natit 2

I don’t know if this was the best choice for my hardware configuration, but this was the only that worked from 10 other choices.

Till now, I have 2 big problems:

1. My sound card doesn’t appear in PCI devices (in about this Mac) and off course, even if I installed the drivers it wouldn’t worked L

2. After the computer entered standby, I wasn’t able to bring it back online, and after a reset, after booting, my monitor screen entered standby(no signal)

Could someone give me some points here….??? The first problem is the biggest one…. L Without sound…..I’m dead !!!

Thank you all.

@ Marius_rg

ASUS A8V deluxe Sound

installing Azalia and playing with Audio MIDI Setup utility will give u nice results.

At least sound out stereo and mic sound in working.

probably u can get 5.1 working (I'm not sure)

@ Marius_rg

ASUS A8V deluxe Sound

installing Azalia and playing with Audio MIDI Setup utility will give u nice results.

At least sound out stereo and mic sound in working.

probably u can get 5.1 working (I'm not sure)

That wont do much to help me....because I use SPDIF output, and....even more...my onboard soundcard doesn't work anymore(this is another mistery). I need a good quality output, that's why I bought this souncard.

I'm downloading the v1.3 as we speak.

Will post my results later on.

If you want to share anythnig regarding uphuck's v1.3 do it here. :P

Also I would like to thank uphuck personally for all his hard work putting this dvd together (and everything around it)!!

THANKS DUDE

Some info about this release can be found here: LINK

NOTE: please do not provide direct links where you can download this release

Yeah like most recent version after 10.4.3 there's more NOT working than working. This is getting nowhere. V10.4.5 was about the last version which has the most drivers for most hardware.

In 10.4.6 it started with the missing AppleAzalia.kext. Causing a lot of previously working audio-cards not working anymore. This "trend" is getting worse with every new release. 10.4.8 had NO audio working (yeah the missing AppleAzalia.kext indeed), no USB working (God knows what is missing for that... let me guess AppleUSBEHCI.kext amongst others?). In fact it isn't even possible to mount .dmg-files on 10.4.8. Let alone that stupid System profiler giving an error and where the fixes don't fix anything at all. This is getting ridiculous. Let alone the trouble with Saphire Radeon X1600pro cards, OpenGL and fullscreen games (odd, since REAL iMacs also use X1600 cards). Needles to say I had to ditch this suposedly high-class card for a cheaper crappy-X1600pro which does work in 10.4.8.

-----------------------------

For the ppl who're fighting on this one the solution is simple. Ditch the Saphire card and get a cheap crappy variant one with an older VGA-bios.

Saphice card has:

VGABIOS v. 009.012.012.002.020511 Dated: 07/13/06 21:44

For Example a cheap Peak X1600pro has:

VGABios v. 009.012.008.002.000000 Dated: 06/19/06 08:56

The Saphire works upto 10.4.7. After that OpenGL games crash within a few seconds after startup. The Peak card works perfect on 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 for full screen OpenGL-games and doesn't crash at all. Go figure.

And don't bother flashing the Saphire card. I've already tried that to no avail.

---------------------------------

With 10.4.9 upchuck v1.3 I tried ALL intel kernels (I have a P4 630), tried with and without certain drivers (minimal configuration and maximal being all i could think of) and it's all to no avail. I keep getting a waiting for root-device-error. Very weird since my system resembles as much as possible an Apple developper system (i915 chipset, Radeon X1600 etc...) and worked out of the box on previous versions upto 10.4.5 (and then the trouble began)

In the end I kept returning to a 10.4.5 (which has working USB, working audio, working bluetooth, mountable dmg-files, About-this-mac gives NO errors etc...) and gradually upgrade from that "base" version. If only Apple would lower its pace and at least kept ALL revisions of Tiger usable but they are pushing to upgrade more to annoy the hackers than to actually solve problems (seen from the fact that even real Apple users are getting more and more problems unsolved too). This is becoming more and more a dissapointment.

If this doesn't improve then I doubt that Apple will sustain their "switchers".

Booooo

Hi, PLease I need help me??...

My PC(cpu-z)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Amd ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane

Socket: Am2

Instructions: MMX(+), 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, X86-64

Drive: Seagate Barracuda: 320 Gb ST3320620NS S-ATA

Mainboard: Gigabyte M59SLI-S5. chipset nVidia

Memory: 2Gb DDR2 Corsair

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded UpHuck 10.4.9 dvd v1.3, everything is ok until I need to choose the destination drive (Disk Utilities)... that is my problem, there isn't any of my partitions.

The hard Drive has 4 partitions, 4 x 80 Gb (1 primary and another extended 3 last partitions)... I have tried to install it in any of those partitions (I formatted the partitions that I was suppossed to use, first time without format, next time with Fat 32 ;) ), configured as active and primary partition. But it just didn't work.

Them, I created another partition in the original-primary partition (Windows xp, again, I tried without format and with Fat32), didn't work, I tried with "DiskPart", did not work, I used Partition Magic...nothing... I dont know where is my drive... (I also changed the Sata for IDE) and.... :P

I would apreciate your help. thanks. ;)

Hi everybody, I already did a search on this forum to get an answer about this issue: I want to install OSX on a Asus P4V8X-MX with a P4 Northbridge with Uphuck's v.1.3 DVD, but I'm always getting a kernel panic on boot. I already tried JaS 10.4.8 PPF1+PPF2, and had the same problem.

I've used this same processor with a different mobo, so, I think the problem could be there (it has a VIA chipset). And I know some people was able to install OSX with this mobo, so, my question is: What am I doing wrong? Do I need some special patches?

thanks

jjduro

EDIT:

OK, the problem was with the graphics card - an ATI 9200 SE - which is not supported and will never be. I have to change it to a Nvidia or a supported ATI. Everything else works out of the box, except the network, but that can be easily repaired with ViaRhine II kext

I chose patches ACPIPlatform, Verbose mode and drivers Titan and nforce SATA. Everything works perfect except loginwindow. Sometimes it boots 640x480, only blue screen and loginwindow crashes in loop (log attached). However sometimes not. If I use flag -f it always boot correctly. Any ideas? I searched the whole forum and found out some same problems as me but there is no solution.

//Well, I was wrong. The system with -f doesn`t work as I wrote. If there isn`t flag -f it never boots and if there is flag -f, it sometimes boots and sometimes not. Usually I boot without flags and loginwindow crashes. Then I use flag -f and it works. But the next boot with -f it crashes again... I don`t know, it`s strange.

loginwindow.crash.log.zip

Pls help....any clue with this issue?

Hi,

I succeeded to install 10.4.9 universal x86 v1.3 on my system ( MB: Asus A8V Deluxe, CPU: AMD 3000Mhz X64 Venice, Leadtek 7600GT, M-audio 7.1), with this drivers selections : AMD 10.4.9 Kernel

Universal Kernel 2

Natit 2

I don't know if this was the best choice for my hardware configuration, but this was the only that worked from 10 other choices.

Till now, I have 2 big problems:

1. My sound card doesn't appear in PCI devices (in about this Mac) and off course, even if I installed the drivers it wouldn't worked L

2. After the computer entered standby, I wasn't able to bring it back online, and after a reset, after booting, my monitor screen entered standby(no signal)

Could someone give me some points here….??? The first problem is the biggest one…. L Without sound…..I'm dead !!!

Thank you all.

Yes, it is available on Demonoid.

I wished people would quit this, there are better ways to say where something is without giving out the name. ok

Uphuck- great work installed over a JAS 10.4.8 install with no problems except my intel Pro100 NIC will not work no matter what I do, I installed a Realtek 8139 PCI card and used the drivers off the disk and all is working fine.

Is there anyway to get you to consider adding a drivers for intel 865G extreme II intergrated graphics? anyone with a Dell, Compaq, IBM or generic intel chipset motherboard would give you 1000 thanks (or even go to uphuck.com and send a paypal donation like I'm getting ready to do)

thanks for the hard work and the chance to try versions of OSX without buying a MAC, this should help APPLE out as a lot of guys on here are buying MACs to get the full functionality out of OSX or to run Leopard. I plan to buy a Mac as well but college is getting ready to start and all my funds are going into classes and lab costs.

Cheers G_M.

@ Marius_rg

Sound in A8V deluxe works perfect including Mic. You can config 5.1 sound out playing with Audio MIDI Setup.

Install Azalia.kext

do not worry about not appearing in about this Mac.

This mobo is very compatible. will find issues with some SATA II HDD.

Install universal 3 it works better.

Uncheck standy sleep mode. It failed always with mine. HDD sleep works.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but here is my wishlist for v1.4

Support for the Intel 82566DC onboard NIC

Full QE/CI support for the Radeon X1300 Pro

Support for installs on an ICH8/8-R chipset

That's all I want for Christmas ;)

My only addition to the list would be a configuration that works for my system. Nothing I've tried works at all so far. :rolleyes: