Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

I have a similar setup as the one you spoke of in your guide, except instead of 3 partitions I have 3 HDDs. 1 for OSX, 1 for windows (xp atm moving to vista soon when i get to 4gigs of ram) and 1 for storage. I have OSX and windows already installed, but I don't see them on each others boot menus. I was booting to windows and so then i went into my BIOS and switched my HDD booting priority to the mac hdd and it worked! Then i wanted to go back to windows and switched it again in my bios and my windows wouldnt boot anymore :( .

So my question is if I set it up like you did will it work fine? and if so, please send me your bootcd. cbrockett13@gmail.com

Thanks in advance ;) .

Hi,I've already installed os x with efi on my hard drive on the first partition (I have 2 partitions, one for mac and one fat32). I would like to install xp on the second partition (and dual boot from darwin bootloader). Is this possible and which is the best way to proceed without destroying my existing leopard installation?Thanks
when it comes to osx86 and windows dual booting. it is best to put windows in the first partition of your hard drive, and osx in 2nd or 3rd partition or whatever you have in mind. just make it sure that it is not in the first part.
i need the bootcd pls. my email is leu@galati.astral.ro or leud2k@yahoo.com
i think you should now check your pm's
hey champ, would you kindly send me the bootcd please? skychurch@doramail.comthanks!
nice rig!!! well, i can't afford to produce a rig like yours. hmmm....check your pm.
I have a similar setup as the one you spoke of in your guide, except instead of 3 partitions I have 3 HDDs. 1 for OSX, 1 for windows (xp atm moving to vista soon when i get to 4gigs of ram) and 1 for storage. I have OSX and windows already installed, but I don't see them on each others boot menus. I was booting to windows and so then i went into my BIOS and switched my HDD booting priority to the mac hdd and it worked! Then i wanted to go back to windows and switched it again in my bios and my windows wouldnt boot anymore :) . So my question is if I set it up like you did will it work fine? and if so, please send me your bootcd. cbrockett13@gmail.comThanks in advance :D .
here... try thesefirst, set your windows hdd as your 1st hdd (primary master that is) and set it as the 1st boot device. test it and make sure it is booting fine. if so,then follow the chain0 technique.2nd, change your booting priority to your osx hdd and make sure it is booting. if not, then use my bootcd to fix it. make sure it is set to active. if it is booting fine then proceed to the next step.3rd, change boot priority to your windows hdd and test your dual boot setup.

HI Boinkytwo,

I would require your BOOT CD man.. can u mail it to jaykishankrkATgmailDOTcom please!!

on a side note.. can I TRI boot leopard on RAID 0 setup.. on an nvidia 680I SLI board? I have dual Booted Vista/XP on RAID 0 setup already, can i TRI boot with Leopard too?

thanks in advance...

cheers,

Jay

SIMPLE SOLUTION!

OK, I found these instructions work perfectly.

But, I did run into the 'b0 error', and 'HFS+ partition error'

I suspect many others made the same mistake as me.

Please make sure when you create a partition in Disk Utility, it is MBR - you can select

this from the +/plus switch (for options) when creating the partition. If you already

created the partitions, carefully... select the disk, and select, Partition, and choose

1, 2, or however many partitions - BUT DO NOT APPLY. Then go to the +/plus check

mark to confirm if MBR or GUID is selected - that is, most likely, the setting used when

you created your OSX install partition. When you have discovered that, back out of

the partition option, create your OSX install/HFS+ partition (if needed) and close Disk

Utility.

I used Kalyway 10.5.2, but what you need to do is select 'Customize' and make sure

the boot loader option is set to MBR, presumably same as you set above. I found I

had not, and this kicked up the b0 error, and later HFS+ partition error (when

I had fumbled to try and fix the boot problem using Fdisk and set partition active - of

course, it was already set active, and the MBR inconsistency was the problem!)

HI Boinkytwo,I would require your BOOT CD man.. can u mail it to jaykishankrkATgmailDOTcom please!!on a side note.. can I TRI boot leopard on RAID 0 setup.. on an nvidia 680I SLI board? I have dual Booted Vista/XP on RAID 0 setup already, can i TRI boot with Leopard too?thanks in advance...cheers,Jay
dude, you may try it. i don't have any RAID Setups for now, to make the test. I dont know any kexts or maybe osx86 distro that can support RAID Hardware or software.

all boot cd request, all done!Check yer pm's

dude, you may try it. i don't have any RAID Setups to make the test. It will surely work on hardware RAID, not sure with software RAID.

all boot cd request, all done!Check yer pm's

Hey man,

having setup the RAID in Hardware BIOS would mean that i am using software RAID setup.. i haven't done much homework on that yet.. so let me confirm this straight.. does creating RAID 0 or Stripe partition through nvidia RAID utility in BIOS is not tested to limits and henceforth cannot be guaranteed of a positive outcome .. am I right??

Hey man,

having setup the RAID in Hardware BIOS would mean that i am using software RAID setup.. i haven't done much homework on that yet.. so let me confirm this straight.. does creating RAID 0 or Stripe partition through nvidia RAID utility in BIOS is not tested to limits and henceforth cannot be guaranteed of a positive outcome .. am I right??

dude, like i said... i don't have any RAID setups meaning i'm not so familiar with it in setting it up for osx and windows multi boot. how am i supposed to test multi-booting when i don't even have the resources to test with.

and again... i've mention before. i'm not so sure about software RAID when it comes to osx86 booting.

but then, since you have the resources. better make the test and some trial and error thing to achieve such goal of yours. and when you done it, share it to us.

zip format is for l4m3r5?

sitx?

can't u simply paste the damned bootfile?

gh

ok ok

sry, one day for the installation a another for the dual boot. i'm sick.

:wacko:

thx!

After a second attempt I got this working as per guide, using Kalyway 10.5.2 and XP Pro.

Also installed Leopard Graphics update, NV inject 0.41. I found the Kalyway Combo

update did not work, so I used the Netkas/Kalyway 10.5.2 update, and updated

the vanilla kernel (I might have not followed correct procedure with the original

attempt, but anyways, it works now)

Thanks boinkytwo.

I have a couple of issues/questions:

1)

I made the partitions 50GB / 50GB / 800GB (approx., using Samsung 1TB disk)

1st partition is NTFS for XP Pro

2nd partition is HFS+ for Leopard

3rd partition is NTFS (using Paragon software to read/write from Leopard)

I went to install FCP and tools, and found the 50GB HFS+ partition is too small.

I'm familair with resizing partitions under Windows, but what do I need to do

to increase the HFS+ partition size (say to 100GB) without causing boot problems?

There is no data on the 800GB partition yet.

Silverstone TJ-08 (black)

Gigabyte GA-G33M-DSR2

Intel E6600

2GB Cellshock PC8500

Tagan 480W PSU

Scythe Ninja

eVGA 8800GS

Samsung 1TB SATA

LG SATA DVD/CD-ROM

2 x 120mm x 38mm Silenx iExtrema

Dell 2408 FPW

for hfs+ repartition issue, read on this topic

or you may opt to delete your osx part and the 800gb part and then repartition it again. with this process, you will be able to increase your osx partition. but you will have to reinstall osx.

or

you may stick with your current config and let fcp use the 800gb part as scratch disk or temp directory and storage room.

hi boinkytwo,

thx for this tutorial. i used variation b and now i have a working xp and a working

10.5.2 on my acer notebook... :D

i´m a noob in os x and don´t know if everything is working. the only thing is that

i have problems with my onboard realtek soundcard... do you have any idea what i could do abou that?

greetz, kear

Having a pain setting up a dual boot, would be nice to grab your disk if possible!

Tah muchly.

/edit - scratch that - I installed partition magic on the windows partition and then followed the rest of the instructions and it all looks good! Thanks!

@FORSTERGOOD JOB!ALL BOOTCD REQUEST... DONE!

@Kear001. make sure you've installed realtek support kexts from the installer. kalyway has it, and also iatkos i think. also search for apple hda, hda enabler and/or ALCinject. Those are kexts that might solve your problem.use it with osx86 utility tools.