Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

A word of caution:

The installation will NOT WORK, will NOT BOOT if the original (Windows) disk was a DYNAMIC disk.

If Windows 2003 Server or other OS was installed on the PC prior to installation, the disk MUST be of type BASIC.

Otherwise there is no way to make two partitions bootable.

Backup all the data, reformat the disk as type basic, install the OS and restore applications and data on the basic disk first.

boot cd sent...

A word of caution:

The installation will NOT WORK, will NOT BOOT if the original (Windows) disk was a DYNAMIC disk.

If Windows 2003 Server or other OS was installed on the PC prior to installation, the disk MUST be of type BASIC.

Otherwise there is no way to make two partitions bootable.

Backup all the data, reformat the disk as type basic, install the OS and restore applications and data on the basic disk first.

This guide was meant for single or dual disk setups with no software raid of any sort/type/kind was involve. osx86 will not recognize windows dynamic disk, software raided/striped disks.

So. I followed your guide and I'm wondering if it depends on what installation disk you use. I am using iATKIS0i or something, the instructions in the setup tells me to install the "DARWIN BOOT" but I wish to use the Windows boot loader. Should I or DO I have to install it? And what about the EFI emulation? Do i have to install it?

Very useful tips...

what about my case:

I have winXP home installed on my pavillion DV1623TN (HP) that is OEM version. Last time I'd tried to make new partition and install ideneb 10.5.5. The installation was successful, but then mac OS x replaced the boot order from xp (I still can log into XP by pressing F8 options). I still need the boot options from XP because after installation some of my notebook features could not be running such Quickplay button.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for any assistances.

Regards,

Eko

PS:

from default OEM installation there are 3 partition made:

1. NTFS for XP home

2. 6 GB recovery disk

3. 1 GB quickplay for VCD/DVD player without entering XP system (turn on through Quickplay button)

boot cd link please: ipo013@yahoo.com

thank you very much

Hi. First thanks for all the great information on this site. Wth it, I have successfully installed and setup 10.5.5 and XP to dual boot (2 partitions on 1 drive). The default OS is currently set to LEO. I now have the PC connected to my TV and plan to use it as a media center. I use VNC and RDP to access and manage the machine via my laptop. However, when I want to switch the OS I have to go to the physical keyboard on the machine and, as you know, press F8 and chose XP at the darwin boot loader. I also have the XP boot loader setup that defaults to XP. If I"m in XP and need to reboot and want to stay in XP I have to go to the console again. I'd prefer not to get a wireless keyboard or other another device.

**So I'm looking for a script(s) to be able to switch the active partion on the fly from the active OS partition to the other OS partition through VNC. So I would need two scripts, one for each OS. Wondering if this is feasible to do and if it would be stable as I see that at least in Leo, to switch the partitions you need/should to be in single user mode. Is anyone doing something similar and/or has a solution to this already?

Setup: Motherboard GA-G33M-S2H, 2.33 GHz Core2Duo, 2GB Ram, 60GB HDD (Leo 10.5.5 / XP) + 500GB HDD

Boinkytwo, I have successfully set up a new HD to use the Windows XP Bootloader. I edited the ini file "boot" using Notepad. I have followed your detailed instructions using your boot CD. Now, when I try to boot, into Windows, the computer keeps coming back to the boot screen. One time, I got an error message stating that some file was missing, but I do not remember the exact wording, and I cannot duplicate that effect.

I cannot get back into Windows to edit the boot loader. There must be an easy fix, but I am not aware of it.

Any ideas?

Edited below: this is the boot file that I changed. Now the computer refuses to boot into Windows XP, but I can make it boot into Leopard. How can I get Windows to boot so I can change the ini file?

boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\chain0="Mac"

Not getting an answer, I plowed ahead with my own solution. The example given at the beginning of this thread, shown below, was just a bit wrong thus causing Windows XP not to boot. I had to modify it to make it work, but I had to re-install Windows XP Professional before I could make the changes.

BEFORE CHANGES:

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\chain0="MAC OS X Tiger"

Below is my modified version:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

After re-installing XP, the boot loader now works, and I can choose between XP and Mac, which loads Leopard, on the same 500GB hard drive. I sized the 3rd partition named FAT32 as 50GB.

Many thanks to boinkytwo for the bootcd and the instructions.

Just adding a postscript to my previous post. I did not erase the 500GB HD to start over. I used Partition Magic to reduce the size of Partition 1 from 250GB to 200 so I could create a new third partition for data formatted as FAT32. I left Partition 2 at 250GB. Then I re-installed Windows XP to Partition 1 taking only 24 minutes instead of the 90 minutes that the original Install took. I left Leopard on Partition 2, so I did not have to re-install it. Now I have a dual booting Hackintosh from one hard drive. I do have two other hard drives in it, but now I can remove them for other projects.

Not getting an answer, I plowed ahead with my own solution. The example given at the beginning of this thread, shown below, was just a bit wrong thus causing Windows XP not to boot. I had to modify it to make it work, but I had to re-install Windows XP Professional before I could make the changes.

BEFORE CHANGES:

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\chain0="MAC OS X Tiger"

Below is my modified version:

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

After re-installing XP, the boot loader now works, and I can choose between XP and Mac, which loads Leopard, on the same 500GB hard drive. I sized the 3rd partition named FAT32 as 50GB.

Many thanks to boinkytwo for the bootcd and the instructions.

-----------------------------

to the rest of the people...

you should only add c:\chain0="MAC OS X Tiger" at the bottom

you should not edit the one with blue text below. as it will really cause your windows not to boot. windows is the default name of the folder where windows xp system files were stored at. but in my case, I customized it and renamed it to 0000, instead of the default name of windows. you may only change this part if you're sure of what you were doing. you may change MAC OS TIGER to other names you like.

[operating systems]

---------------------------

bootcd request all done