Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

I'm looking to dual boot leopard (any version) and WinXP on my laptop.

Laptop is a DV6500, specs are as follows....

Intel Core 2 Dup T7300 (2.00GHZ)

quanta 30D2 Motherboard

2GB DRR2 PC-5300 ram

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

16x DVD-RW Lightscribe

120GB SATA HDD

Intel 3945ABG Wireless

This possible? Any suggestions on what version of leopard to use or any suggestions at all?

• 3 weeks later...

G'day boinkytwo,

Great tutorial which I hope to follow through when I get your bootcd. Would you please e-mail a copy to me at rfincher@alphalink.com.au - thanks. I realise this isn't the place to ask questions but could you clarify 2 points made in the tute.

1. Can I use Apple's retail Install DVD Version 10.5 instead of the OSX 10.4.8 CD you mention?

2. My 80 GB HDD has a 46GB C:\ partition containing Win XP Pro, an 8GB D:\ partition for WinXP back-up, and 20 GB of unformatted free space at the "end" of the drive. Can I use this free space to create the two partitions required for OSX using your bootcd? Experiments with PM8.0 to achieve this were not successful.

Thanks

Rob

G'day boinkytwo,

Great tutorial which I hope to follow through when I get your bootcd. Would you please e-mail a copy to me at rfincher@alphalink.com.au - thanks. I realise this isn't the place to ask questions but could you clarify 2 points made in the tute.

1. Can I use Apple's retail Install DVD Version 10.5 instead of the OSX 10.4.8 CD you mention?

2. My 80 GB HDD has a 46GB C:\ partition containing Win XP Pro, an 8GB D:\ partition for WinXP back-up, and 20 GB of unformatted free space at the "end" of the drive. Can I use this free space to create the two partitions required for OSX using your bootcd? Experiments with PM8.0 to achieve this were not successful.

Thanks

Rob

It is for osx86/hackintosh, the osx installer used, was a patched osx install dvd. The patched dvd installer should be use on a pc based computer, not an apple based computer.

You should use a patched version of osx.

For the partition requirement, a 6gb partiltion is fine. The hard disk requirements for a successful osx installation are the following:

1. the target partition should be set to primary partition, not logical. You can do this with the help of the bootcd.

2. the target partition should be at least 6gb in size.

***you may format the partition using fat32 filesystem, but never use ntfs.

***you may leave it as raw partition.

=========================================================

boinkytwo, thanks for the guide, will try this method myself soon, just wondering about the 3rd partition... or not. what is a good third-party driver/s/w to access OSX partition from XP Pro? because I would like to share large video files (for editing) between XP/OSX, and I'm wondering if a FAT32 partition can do that (like 12GB)? I'm thinking to use an external SATA for video data - can OSX write to ntfs using 3PT s/w?

Im booting mac using the boot.ini in my xp partition on my hard drive (disk0s1) using the C:\chain0="Mac OS X86" method and mac is installed in disk0s2. i was wondering if it was possible to change the information in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist so that when i select Mac OS X86 it boots it up instead of having the timer and you having to select disk0s2 from the little darwin boot menu that comes up. i know i can remove the time like this:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

but the only method i saw for automatically boosting disk0s2 didnt work, which was this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

does anyone know a way to set it so it automatically boots os x when i select Mac OS x86 from the boot menu?

boinkytwo, thanks for the guide, will try this method myself soon, just wondering about the 3rd partition... or not. what is a good third-party driver/s/w to access OSX partition from XP Pro? because I would like to share large video files (for editing) between XP/OSX, and I'm wondering if a FAT32 partition can do that (like 12GB)? I'm thinking to use an external SATA for video data - can OSX write to ntfs using 3PT s/w?

12gb? you should use ntfs partition. and then install third party apps like paragon ntfs or macfuse , to let you write on ntfs partition under osx.

Hi,

I've already installed os x with efi on my hard drive on the first partition (I have 2 partitions, one for mac and one fat32). I would like to install xp on the second partition (and dual boot from darwin bootloader). Is this possible and which is the best way to proceed without destroying my existing leopard installation?

Thanks