Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2.iso version, is a trimmed off version.

ppc files had been removed.

whats left are the intel files.

printer drivers were also ripped off from the installer.

-----------------------

bootcd sent

-------------------------

ok check this out:

i have copied & pasted the content of the external usb

drive (where the mac osx was installed) on my hfs

partition of the original internal hd:

this is the outcome:

desk209xh5.th.png

as you can see -I have used MAcDrive to see the mac hd-

i have the osx installed on my hd (in theory) but, when i

try to boot from the hard disk (having already set this g:

partition active)

the sistem says: "NTLDR Missing - press Ctrl + ecc to

reboot"

any suggestions?

Ok, i got everything to work. Using the windows chain0 method I can boot XP or OSX but when I choose OSX from the boot menu it starts up darwin and then goes back to the XP boot menu after 5 seconds unless i press enter and manualy choose OSX on (0,2). It seems to me that darwin boots XP by default. Is there anyway to make XP not show up at all in darwin? Great tutorial by the way.

Aaron

thx for the cd..

i followed your steps, but the disk utility just wont format the unformated partition i created for osx,..

i select MAC OS Extended (Journaled) and click erase but it doesnt change the format and the name..

any suggestions?

/edit:

got it working, formated it with acronis to fat32 changed it to shagOS, now the disk utility could erase it.

but now i get the login application error,.. so i guess i have to start over with another verison (i was using xxx .10)

Dell Dimention 2400. 1 gig ram Intel 945G chipset with Imbeded intel Graphics.

I followed your guide for a dual boot install. It did not seem necessary for the 10.4.9 Uphucks install which already has the Darwin in it. I did follow your guide modifying the boot config file in XP but I think you need to modify the filename or modify you guid. The filename is not chain0 but c_h_a_i_n_0.stix. So wouldn't the line you add be c:/c_h_a_i_n_0.stix and not just chain0 as you posted?

Anyhow I renamed the file to chain0.stix and added the line both as chain0 and chain0.stix and neither one will boot to Hackintosh, it boots right back to XP. Hackintosh is what boots first not XP not sure why? I get a message to hit enter for boot options and when I do I see the different partitions I can boot to. when I choose the XP partition it boots to xp and when I choose the hackintosh partition is boots to that. I never did anything to put Darwin's mehtod of booting , 10.4.9 Uphuck's seem tohave it already in place?

So not sure if the the entire tutorial is niecessary for 10.4.9 uphuck's? Maybe just for jas 10.4.8?

I only used the part of the tutorial about how to partition the hard drive into three in my case 4 because dell has it own little partition. Not sure why I need the last partition as FAt32??

Anyhow hackinstosh installed fine and I got the dual boot.

Sorry about that I am new to Mac. Never used it before and getting support on IRC channels is useless.

Can I use WInrar to unpack it? Does Stuffit Expander come stock with 10.4.8 Jas?

Right now I have to transfer files over to the x86 hackintosh machine and I have to transfer files over from XP onto a Flash drive.

SO what is my best bet?

I still can get dual boot don't get me wrong. Its just looks funky. I don't see the XP boot screen I see the HAckintosh boot and just before it boots sais hit any key , I hit enter key and I see the partitions so this seems to work ok for now. Just cosmetics I suppose?

Edited Post:

I figured it out. You can get Stuffit for windows as well. Not trying to be a smart a... but remember people trying the Hackintosh on x86 systems may not be familiar with all MAc OS details so maybe a mention that the file is a comprtessed mac file that needs to be extracted might have helped some.

Ok back to the BOot sceen. I still have to hit F8 to see the different partitions then when I hit the XP partition I have both a XP choice and MAC OS X choice and now the OSX choice boots into the Hackintosh.

BUt the intitial boot does not bring me to the XP splash screen it still goes right into hackintosh boot if I don't hit F8 or I Enter.

So whats wrong at this point?

Ok, i got everything to work. Using the windows chain0 method I can boot XP or OSX but when I choose OSX from the boot menu it starts up darwin and then goes back to the XP boot menu after 5 seconds unless i press enter and manualy choose OSX on (0,2). It seems to me that darwin boots XP by default. Is there anyway to make XP not show up at all in darwin? Great tutorial by the way.

Aaron

Ok thats pretty confusing, Ill fraze my question differently. I know you can edit the xp boot menu by changing boot.ini on the windows drive. How can you edit Darwins boot menu?

so boinky my dear, :angel:

the installation finally worked fine, but i still have a problem: I have tried to modify with sudo in the editor but when I entered my pswrd, I did not understand I was typing because nothing appeared:

so now i cannot go on through the installation process because i don't remember the pswrd :(

what can i do?

thanks a lot

ale

if you cant remember your password, then youll not be able to remove or change it.

try to make a new admin account.

go to systemp pref, then accounts, and then create new accounts. everthing is pretty straight forward, just like windows account creation.

boinkytwo,

Anyway I can get this boot cd as well? Its not bootcamp is it?

I already have PArtitionmagic on Ultimate Boot USB. I think its version 8.05. Is this the same as yours , if not can you send me the file to?

How will I be able to manipulate Windows VIsta Home? I want to shrink the partition. Will PM 8.05 Work and if nto what is out there I can use?

I have gparted Live CD will that work?

emunity@comcast.net

THanks

Thanks very much, it works.

A big problem was to open the packed chain0 file from windows. You need the Stuffit Expander Deluxe which you can only try if you give them your credit-card-number (they will charge you automatically if you don't cancel within 30 days, very s****).

Plz use more common formats like .tar.gz or .rar if possible...

HI.

I once dual booted XP & OSX 10.4.6 jas...but I didn't use a "boot CD" as you mentioned...

So I was wondering upper versions ,such as 10.4.8, all need the cd??

Does ithis method work for 10.4.9 or up?

also, Here's my email :)

OPPS. i found the cd on page 12~~

thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...