Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

***Please post your feedback here, after following the guide.

***Make sure that you already tested osx86 to run with your specs, or that your specs are osx86 compatible.

This is the best ever dual boot technique that I've tried and used.

It is so simple to setup and plus no Dual Boot Software required.

You may choose the following:

A. Using Darwin Boot Loader

B. Using Windows XP Boot Loader

***Users who have windows xp already installed on 2nd partition of their hard drive, use my created bootcd to move the windows xp partition to the first part of the hard drive making it the first partition. After that, update the MBR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to be on hand before executing the following procedures:

1. OS install CDs

- WinXP

- OSX 10.4.8

- Clean and Unpartitioned Hard Drive, no data/files in it.

2. My BootCD (3.5mb)

- post your request here, download link will be sent to you

- download and burn it.

3. Chain0 File

- necessary when using windows xp boot loader

4. OSX Boot File (com.appleboot.plist)

- necessary when using darwin boot loader

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures:

A. Using Darwin's Boot Loader

1:

• Boot windows xp install cd and create a partition and allocate at least 5gb (5,000 mb) or depending on your preference and resources. If there's any existing partition, delete them all until you only see one unpartitioned hard drive, before doing this step.

2:

• Create the first partition for windows xp installation as mentioned above, and leave the other partition untouched, or leave it unpartitioned.

***The first partition is for windows xp

The second partition is for osx

The third partition is for all your files to be stored in

3:

• Proceed with windows xp installation procedures, make sure that It will boot properly after installation. Boot the newly installed Windows XP, and input a volume name for your windows xp partition.

4:

• After Installation, boot from my created bootcd.

a. press enter when "
boot:
" appears.

b. press enter when
MY TOOLS
appears.

c. press enter when
PARTITION MAGIC
appears. you were looking now at Partition Magic's User Interface.

5:

• Now, right click the 2nd partition, then click Resize/Move

• Click on New Size and input at least 6,000mb or more. Click OK

• Two new partition appears, making your single drive divided in 3 partitions.

• Now, right-click the 2nd parition and

• click Create, in Create As dialog choose Primary Partition

• click Partition Type and choose Unformatted

• click OK

• Now, right-click the 3rd partition and

• click Create, in Create As dialog choose Logical Partition

• click Partition Type and choose Fat32 ***with this format both your OS will have read/write access

• click OK

• Finally, click Apply.

***During this process your computer may seem to hung, but its not.

Wait for confirmation, reboot and eject the bootcd.

6:

• Insert OSX86 install DVD and install OSX

• When reaching the Select Destination menu, open Disk Utility and format the 2nd partition in MAC OS Extended (Journaled) format, Input your desired Volume Name (ex. My MAC). Then proceed with the installation until finished.

7:

• After successful installation, restart your system and eject the install dvd, darwin will boot osx and will take you to account creation, etc.

8:

• Now, upon reaching the desktop, go to your osx installation

• Open Library, then

• Open Preferences, then

• Open SystemConfiguration and then

• Paste this file: com.apple.Boot.plist,

• authorize it with your account password and replace it when prompted.

9:

• Open Termninal from the Application-->Utilities Folder. Then,

• Type: sudo -s

• Press: enter

• Type in your password and hit enter. (***your typed password will not be shown as ********)

• You will be prompted with this:

• account name:~ root#

• ex. boinkytwos computer:~ root#

10:

• copy and paste this in your terminal window right after root#

chown -R root:wheel /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

chmod -R 755 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

• close the terminal window

• Now, restart

• Upon reboot, you'll see Darwin's boot loader counting down from 5. Hit enter, use arrow keys which os to boot from and hit enter. ***The 1st choice is windows xp, and the 2nd choice is OSX.

• You're done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. Using Windows XP's Boot Loader

1.>

• Follow steps 1 to 7 above.

2.>

• Insert my created bootcd and boot from it.

3:>

• Upon reaching Partition Magic's user interface

• Right-click the windows xp partition.

• Click Advance, then

• click Set Active, then

• click OK, then Apply, then Yes, and finally OK.

• Wait for the confirmation, and then restart

4.>

• Upon restart, you should be able to boot Windows XP. Boot from it until you'll reached the desktop.

5.>

• Put chain0 in C: drive

6:>

• Now right-click My Computer, then

• Advance,

• under Startup and Recovery, click Settings

• under Default Operating System, click on EDIT

• at the end insert: c:chain0="MAC OS X Tiger"

• it should look like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)0000="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:chain0="MAC OS X Tiger"

-------------------------

***do not alter the blue text, just add the red text. the one above is just an example of the contents of my boot.ini file.

***you may change MAC OS X TIGER to other names you like. ie. OSX

7.>

• Click Ok and close all dialogues, reboot to test. Good Luck!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***This whole procedures had worked for my machine.

***PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS HERE IF YOU'RE SUCCESSFUL

***ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM, when booting osx

solution:

use the bootcd to make windows parition active, and then reboot, then boot again from the boot cd.

use again the bootcd to change back osx parition into active. reboot again, osx should boot now.

Edited by boinkytwo
Removed illegal link. Don't link to copyrighted material download links. Thanks. -The Staff

I successfully installed the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 Intel and AMD x86 copy....After the optimization of the hdd and Mac OS X neede to restart, Darwin starts up and boots me into the gray Apple and progress indicator screen...after several seconds (aprox 10-15) the progress indicator stops moving and the screen goes black. Please help!

Boot your newly installed osx, when darwin boot loade appears hit F8

Then type:

-v -x

Then hit enter

try to catch those scrolling text if it tells something about link/load errors or fails.

Then post it back here, so other readers out there may help us quick

Also post your hardware setups, It may give us some clues.

uhmm...

Honestly, I have'nt tried that out yet neither using Darwin Boot Loader nor windows boot loader.

But somehow, I managed to use some dual boot mode (sort of) using 2 drives. XP on the other drive and osx86 as well.

I used my motherboard's bios boot loader, a boot loader included in my bios. I just hit F11 whenever I boot my machine, and then I chose which drive I want to boot from.

Right now, I think there is no answer yet to your query (correct me if im wrong people)

The best thing that we can do is to use some third party boot loader /manager software.

Ive tried acronis and extended fdisk, but it just ruined my mbr after winxp re-installation.

@SoCal_Tomato

If you can manage, please post a picture/image of your screen during boot, any such errors can be seen from there by using the -v boot flag.

boinkytwo,

I'm not sure how to use the -v boot. At what point do I start typing in command lines? I tried to follow the steps from your Restart Your Computer Errors post, but I am not successful. When i choose between WinXp or MacOS from my dual boot I select MacOS, upon which i hit enter and I get the BOOT:

If I type -v ENTER, it start loading MacOS, scrolling through a list of operations (extremely fast)

If I do not type -v and I type /sbin/mount -uw/ I get an error saying something is full (Kernel or Kext)

Can any of this be done through Terminal using the install disc? Everything from the install disc is loaded onto my laptop (Compaq Evo n800c mobile P4 1.7gHz, 60gb hd (partitioned in two (NTFS and the other is MacOS) and 1gb of RAM....ATI Mobility 7500 graphics card....

when the time you hit enter and upon reaching the boot:

and you type -v

it will put you in verbose mode, and you'll see that fast scrolling text but after that another group of text phrases will show up. It will show you errors if there's any. If there is none, then it will boot you to mac os x.

you cant execute /sbin/mount -uw/ in boot:

unless you type in -s, or -v -s in boot:

example:

boot: -s

---------------------------------

To boot up your installed os x try this typing -v -x,

example:

boot: -v -x

this will boot your machine under safe-mode.

if it wont boot, try reading those text and see if it mentions about any errors, panic, etc.

try to take a picture of it and post it here.

dont aim yet for the dual boot thing

aim first to make your osx work with your note book, since

it will surely work with it.

I knew someone, who did it.

taking pics of the screen is a little hard...during the -v -s or -v -x boots I wrote down some things I see about the graphics card....

Natit: Setting Model= ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

Titan: Testing for NVidia card...

Titan: Could not make a display match

AGP: Found Radeon M7 graphics adapter

then some more lines follow, then the black screen.

I also tried:

BOOT: -v -s

(after fast moving text and the next steps of booting I get the option to enter some commands)

so I enter

/sbin/mount -uw / (WHAT DOES THIS LINE DO?)

then I hit enter

then I type

cd /system/library/extensions (WHAT DOES THIS LINE DO?)

then I hit enter

then I type

rm -rf nvdaresman.kext (WHAT DOES THIS LINE DO?)

then I hit enter, then what should the system do or what should I do?

/sbin/mount -uw / = will let you mount your osx hdd with read and write permission

cd /system/library/extensions = just like dos commands, change directory that is

rm -rf nvdaresman.kext = removes the file named nvdaresman.kext

in your case, use this

rm -rf atindrv.kext

-v -s = will take you single user mode, meaining you may type the above commands.

-v -x = boot your osx in safe mode

Paste this file: com.apple.Boot.plist

Do you mean the OSX boot file?

So i need to rename the file to com.apple.Boot.plist and then pase it?

Thanks.

the osx boot file i am referring to, is the com.apple.boot.plist file

copy or drag it to the mentioned location. and do the chmod and chown thingy.

just install windows on the 2nd partition, then use darwin boot loader as your default boot manager, osx then is your default os to boot from.

edit: bring osx partition back to active.

or you may partition magic to re-shuffle your partition, that is, moving osx to be the 2nd partition and give a space for windows xp in the first partition.

• 4 weeks later...

thanXX a lot...i made it!!

at first it wasn´t working with tree partitions

first was xp and third data partition,but mac instal. saw mac partition as "diskos3" even if i made it as 2nd

so i tried only two part. xp and mac as diskos2 and than it was functioning

i got also black screen after instal, this was working for me

Intel Centrino 1,86 SSE2

512 MB DDR

HD 100 GB + 40 GB + 80 GB

ATI Radeon Mobility x600 256mb

+XP

thanXX a lot...i made it!!

at first it wasn´t working with tree partitions

first was xp and third data partition,but mac instal. saw mac partition as "diskos3" even if i made it as 2nd

so i tried only two part. xp and mac as diskos2 and than it was functioning

i got also black screen after instal, this was working for me

Intel Centrino 1,86 SSE2

512 MB DDR

HD 100 GB + 40 GB + 80 GB

ATI Radeon Mobility x600 256mb

+XP

cheers man!

hello,

I am about to proceed with the installation and I have some questions to do before i can go on:

-considering first of all that I don't have a dvd burner, can I burn the uphuck (4.4 Gb) i downloaded from the internet onto several cds or it will not work?

which kind must be the installation cd (Rom or Boot)? also for the files that boinkytwo provided: must they be burned in a rom or boot mode?

ps: I am using nero

thanks a lot

alex

hello,

I am about to proceed with the installation and I have some questions to do before i can go on:

-considering first of all that I don't have a dvd burner, can I burn the uphuck (4.4 Gb) i downloaded from the internet onto several cds or it will not work?

which kind must be the installation cd (Rom or Boot)? also for the files that boinkytwo provided: must they be burned in a rom or boot mode?

ps: I am using nero

thanks a lot

alex

if your familiar with vmware workstation, then better use that to install osx. in addition, use alcohol 120 to mount the dvd image.

setup your hdd, install osx in a physical partition or drive. after successful install and bootup, you may then convert your virtual machine to native.

all the info mentioned above is availabe at forum.insanelymac.com and wiki.osx86project.org

come back here after successfully completing the above, and convert your installation into dual booting mode.

[dont forget you post your feedback. it is very helpful to others.

so this is not a "Start from zero" guide?! is there something prior to do?i am not very happy with what you wrote because I really did not understand a single word ..see what happens .. thx anyway
well, check out the wiki first. read and learn.uphuck 10.4.9 install dvd is equivalent osx version for x86 machine (for pc).